Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,341 members, 7,888,083 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 06:55 PM

Ndic To Raise Guarantee Level For Depositors . - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ndic To Raise Guarantee Level For Depositors . (1663 Views)

Banks In Nigeria Are Healthy-NDIC / CAC Liquidates 30 Wonder Banks, As Depositors May Lose N106bn / Depositors Lose N70m To Wonder Bank, Director Held (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ndic To Raise Guarantee Level For Depositors . by ALMUSTAQIM(m): 11:23am On Nov 18, 2010
NDIC to raise guarantee level for depositors .

DEPOSITORS with any distressed bank may no longer be left to lick their wounds with the return of paltry sums of their funds.

Under a new regime, the ceiling on the amount to be paid to the depositors is being raised upward by the Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC).

The Guardian learnt that the guarantee scheme, through which banks’ depositors are protected against loss in the event of a bank’s failure has been raised to N500,000 for customers of commercial banks and N250,000 for those of micro-finance banks (MFBs).

The new deposit insurance guarantee scheme may be announced before the end of this year, a source said.

It was also learnt that the review was concluded about two weeks ago by the NDIC Board, which met in Abuja and recommended between N250,000 and N500,000 as maximum insured cover for depositors of microfinance institutions and commercial banks.

A board member told The Guardian that the review had become necessary following agitations by depositors and other stakeholders on the need for the upward review of the scheme to boost confidence in the banking sector as well as encourage saving culture in Nigeria .

http://nigerianbulletin.com/2010/11/18/ndic-to-raise-guarantee-level-for-depositors-the-guardian/
Re: Ndic To Raise Guarantee Level For Depositors . by marcus1234: 5:42pm On Nov 18, 2010
Re: Ndic To Raise Guarantee Level For Depositors . by jampet89: 7:38pm On Nov 18, 2010
what is the current price of fertilizer in Nigeria?
Re: Ndic To Raise Guarantee Level For Depositors . by Nobody: 10:03pm On Nov 18, 2010
WHERE ARE THE NAIRALANDERS, UNA NO DEY TALK FOR HERE.
I SEE , U GUYS ARE MORE INTERESTED IN GOSSIP THAN REAL GIST
Re: Ndic To Raise Guarantee Level For Depositors . by saridonp2: 11:16pm On Nov 18, 2010
So if you have 5Million Naira in a bank and it went down,the NDIC will pay you just that paltry sum?what will happen to your complete deposit?If you are not gonna get it back,then while saving money in the bank at all?Someone need to clarify me on this.500k compare to 5million?.
Re: Ndic To Raise Guarantee Level For Depositors . by saridonp2: 11:17pm On Nov 18, 2010
So if you have 5Million Naira in a bank and it went down,the NDIC will pay you just that paltry sum?what will happen to your complete deposit?If you are not gonna get it back,then why saving money in the bank at all?Someone need to clarify me on this.500k compare to 5million?.
Re: Ndic To Raise Guarantee Level For Depositors . by olaolabiy: 12:28am On Nov 19, 2010
Another ruse!
Re: Ndic To Raise Guarantee Level For Depositors . by kg(f): 8:55am On Nov 19, 2010
ThankGod they are even thinking review, gradually they will push things to the level where people affected will truly have reasons to smile.

@saridon_p
Good question, you spoke my mind. I don't have the answer but I'm hoping someone will answer.
Re: Ndic To Raise Guarantee Level For Depositors . by apach4ever(m): 5:49pm On Nov 19, 2010
So if you have 5Million Naira in a bank and it went down,the NDIC will pay you just that paltry sum?what will happen to your complete deposit?If you are not gonna get it back,then why saving money in the bank at all?Someone need to clarify me on this.500k compare to 5million?.

=============================================
The 500k is what NDIC will pay you based on the premiums remitted by the bank yearly. After the liquidation of the bank i.e. sale of bank assets, people with deposits higer than 500k will be credited with what is known as liquidation dividend to make up the difference.
Why save money in a bank? mobility and ease of access to your cash. You could keep your money buried in your garden but what happens when you travel and need 50k urgently? Bet you'ld wish you had an ATM card or could just walk into any "garden" and withdraw.
You could also tie it up in a life insurance policy but trust me, you don't want to go to one of those when you need your money in a hurry.
Its not a perfect system and is evolving everyday afterall it wasn't too long ago that the maximum coverage was 50k.
Re: Ndic To Raise Guarantee Level For Depositors . by saridonp2: 9:02pm On Nov 19, 2010
@Apachforever,I just need a straight forward answer to my question which is if I have 5Million naira in a bank and there is a bank failure,am I going to get my complete deposit back even if it will take couple of years to sell the assets of the bank?

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Get Fresh Fruits Suppliers Here In Nigeria / Help With Business Idea Please / What Can You Say About GOOGLE ADSENSE aka Working With Google?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.