Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,059 members, 7,970,265 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 04:25 AM

Enyeama Deserves To Be On Caf African Player Of The Year Award List- Amunike - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Enyeama Deserves To Be On Caf African Player Of The Year Award List- Amunike (635 Views)

Super Eagles Players Listed As SUPER FALCONS Players On CAF Website / 2014 CAF African Women's Championship - Namibia 2014 / Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Enyeama Deserves To Be On Caf African Player Of The Year Award List- Amunike by Nobody: 10:23pm On Nov 19, 2010
The last time a Nigerian won the CAF African Player of the year Award was 2000 when Nwankwo Kanu held the continent spellbound with his dazzling display at Arsenal.

Ten years later, no Nigerian is even on the shortlist of the CAF or BBC awards as they prepare to announce the best player from the continent in the past eleven months.

Emmanuel Amunike, the former Barcelona winger and CAF African Footballer of the Year in 1994 has said that it's unfortunate that no Nigerians appear on the list. He went on to state that it underlines a terrible year for the Super Eagles who finished third at the AFCON in Angola and failed to progress past the group stage at the World Cup in June.

"I have to admit that I was surprised that not a single Nigerian was shortlisted," Amunike told NEXT.

"I know the Super Eagles didn’t have a good year but some of our players did quite well and one of them should have been included by [CAF or] the BBC."

Even in this dark period, Amunike believes that there was a shining light in the Nigerian team with the performance of Hapoel Tel Aviv goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama who was voted man of the match in two World Cup matches.

"The entire world now knows Enyeama. He is now one of the best goalkeepers in the world and we all saw what he did at the World Cup and how he has been saving his club from embarrassing defeats in the Champions League."

"[He] also scores goals and there are not too many goalkeepers like that in the world so I am really surprised he wasn’t shortlisted.

"The players shortlisted are also good but if you consider the impact of these players in their respective teams then I think Enyeama’s exclusion is a big omission," Amunike said.

http://www.kickoff.com/news/18933/emmanuel-amunike-rates-vincent-enyeama.php
waiting u think?
Re: Enyeama Deserves To Be On Caf African Player Of The Year Award List- Amunike by hannie: 3:00am On Nov 20, 2010
every tom, dick and harry knows Enyeama ought to have been on that list, no rocket science !

(1) (Reply)

What Is Yakubu Still Doing In Super Eagles? / Nigeria Olympic Tickets Are Being Sold In London Black Market / Mourinho: Call Me The 'only One'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.