Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,793 members, 7,875,966 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 05:49 AM

Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion (10104 Views)

How Do I Become A Distributor With MTN, Glo And Zain? / Mtn, Glo And Zain Printing Recharge Card Business / Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by udohjaphet: 11:37pm On Nov 21, 2010
now the name still goes Econet . Vodacom. Vmobile. Celtel. Zain. Airtel untill they sale to obj that would be final
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by scorpio1(m): 7:52am On Nov 22, 2010
This yoruba chairmen behind Zain are just doing Mega business with this company, see confirmed businessmen, $9Billion, Eweeeeeeeeeeeee, >!
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by viveks(m): 8:06am On Nov 22, 2010
Interesting comments guys!

Airtel is a leader in the Indian market and here, regular prepaid plans (0 rental) offer you call rates of 3.3kobo/sec or 1.6Naira/min.
Please post your updates/comments on the re-branding exercise of Zain/Airtel.

Additionally, wireless internet in India is priced at ~330Naira/month (2GB for GPRS - low speed net); 3G rates are still high ~ 2,500Naira/month (2GB - but blazing speed). Wired internet is quite cheap - unlimited internet at 512kbps @ 1,500Naira/month (DSL)

How're the phone/internet usage rates at your end?
Cheers!
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by phizz: 8:25am On Nov 22, 2010
are u an Agent or wat embarassed
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by Navajo: 9:25am On Nov 22, 2010
From E (econet) to Z (Zain), now back to A(airtel) what next?
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by jmaine: 9:33am On Nov 22, 2010
Heard their BB official rate is now 3K. That yeye MTN 3K promo shall become permanent unless they wan lose touch and come to think of it we have GLO and Etisalat all giving good competition. we can only hope for the best. maybe we shall be seeing a 2.5K BB plan any of them to arrest competition. grin
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by tainot2002(m): 9:42am On Nov 22, 2010
interesting!!!!!!!
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by Ranoscky(m): 11:28am On Nov 22, 2010
I hate EmptyN with passion. angry
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by sukkyfab: 11:47am On Nov 22, 2010
it will soon be my turn to buy (econet,vodacom,v mobile,zain) and now airtel,it will be named "sukkycom" WATCH OUT
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by HamidO1(m): 2:22pm On Nov 22, 2010
jmaine:

Heard their BB official rate is now 3K. That yeye MTN 3K promo shall become permanent unless they wan lose touch and come to think of it we have GLO and Etisalat all giving good competition. we can only hope for the best. maybe we shall be seeing a 2.5K BB plan any of them to arrest competition. grin

Nice point, With competition a lot of things are possible, we need such investors in our power sector.
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by COMPAQ(m): 3:22pm On Nov 22, 2010
Good luck to Airtel. Lets see what value they can wring out of Zain. In my opinion, Zain is the worst of the networks and if Airtel doesn't invest fast, the company will be bankrupt by 2015. Why do I say so? It is obvious that the internet and other services that rely on the internet are the new cash cow. Voice and text are slowly reducing in importance and unfortunately, Zain/Airtel has about the worst internet across Nigeria. Besides, the company was built on huge debts and I understand they have been making losses, yet MTN makes sizeable profits in the same market.
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by MaiSuya(m): 3:52pm On Nov 22, 2010
vivek.s:

Interesting comments guys!

Airtel is a leader in the Indian market and here, regular prepaid plans (0 rental) offer you call rates of 3.3kobo/sec or 1.6Naira/min.
Please post your updates/comments on the re-branding exercise of Zain/Airtel.

Additionally, wireless internet in India is priced at ~330Naira/month (2GB for GPRS - low speed net); 3G rates are still high ~ 2,500Naira/month (2GB - but blazing speed). Wired internet is quite cheap - unlimited internet at 512kbps @ 1,500Naira/month (DSL)

How're the phone/internet usage rates at your end?
Cheers!

Hmmm, interesting. . .only hope they can replicate the above rates in Naija, since, as I stated earlier, most of these multinational Gsm coys always have an alibi to justify their obscenely high rates here compared with the other countries in which they operate. (eg infrastructural challenges, etc)

For instance, Zain up until the takeover, was charging N1000/ month for a measly 100MB EDGE, while 1G went for N5000/month. Compared with your N330/moth for 2G. . . you can see the colossal difference.  cry
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by HARDDON: 4:43pm On Nov 22, 2010
econet 2 vmobile
vmobile 2 celtel
celtel 2 Zain just as i tot we had gotten to d end of the alphabets n krazy riddle,

d cirlcle began again. now tis
Zain to Airtel, wor next? 'BROKE'TEL?

oh no, i shall soon it over and name it 'DON'TEL

gud rediance 2 a complete rubbish! astute nonesence!

GLO 4 LYF biko nu
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by sundayogor(m): 6:42pm On Nov 22, 2010
why is it that one company can not handle this particular network? and why other networks are managing theirs?
well i have a space for their network antenna in Benue, so,
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by comoros199: 10:54pm On Nov 22, 2010
For the sum of 9 Billion US dollars, information is that Bharti Airtel bought not only Zain Nigeria but all of Zain Africa assets, which is spread across about 14 African countries (I stand to be corrected, with proof though).
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by WackyJ1(m): 4:54am On Nov 23, 2010
comoros199:

For the sum of 9 Billion US dollars, information is that Bharti Airtel bought not only Zain Nigeria but all of Zain Africa assets, which is spread across about 14 African countries (I stand to be corrected, with proof though).

I think you're right.
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by MaiSuya(m): 9:49am On Nov 23, 2010
comoros199:

I would like to see the source of this.

I googled the topic, and the sources I come across seem to restrict the takeover to Zain Nigeria. Though I have to agree that the $9b seems to be pretty high.
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by viveks(m): 10:04am On Nov 23, 2010
You can find info on the deal here http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6570VJ20100608
and http://www.airtel.in/wps/wcm/connect/About%20Bharti%20Airtel/bharti+airtel/media+centre/bharti+airtel+news/corporate/pg-bharti-set-to-acquire-zain-africa-bv and
http://www.zain.com/muse/obj/lang.default/portal.view/content/Media%20centre/Press%20releases/ZainAfricaSaleToBhartiAirtel
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by benmajek: 3:19pm On Nov 23, 2010
i wonder why some fools keep buying silly liability,for Zain to have been sold,that shows there is no proper management for the company.

i hope the so call Bharti Airtel will make amendment.
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by CGKing(m): 12:14pm On Nov 25, 2010
Yes, im buying them in 2012. CGKing Mobile!, inspired to kick a.s.s!
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by ability19: 6:51am On Nov 27, 2010
i have good news for u all in here about mtn sorry 4 distrubing, use any of the links @ the bottom line to download the opera and u will get the full details on
how to use einstein opera 4.2 to download jar files and other extension more than 200gb on your fone with mtn live @ http://einsteinwap before 7-8am this morning thanks and good bless

http://www.sharemobile.ro/file.php?id=564254
http://plunder.com/46d284c597
http://www.sharemobile.ro/file.php?id=564254
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by viveks(m): 4:00pm On Nov 29, 2010
Hi Guys,

Any comments on Zain's re-branding to Airtel? Cool song eh? But I don't like the new logo so much.
Have you seen any interesting promo packs launched there?
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by viveks(m): 4:03pm On Nov 29, 2010
Hmmm, interesting. . .only hope they can replicate the above rates in Naija, since, as I stated earlier, most of these multinational Gsm coys always have an alibi to justify their obscenely high rates here compared with the other countries in which they operate. (eg infrastructural challenges, etc)

For instance, Zain up until the takeover, was charging N1000/ month for a measly 100MB EDGE, while 1G went for N5000/month. Compared with your N330/moth for 2G. . . you can see the colossal difference.  Cry

I do hope that data rates reduce for you guys. I'm sure that Airtel's entry will result in all the players (including MTN) offering better plans at lower rates.
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by Emmyk(m): 4:11pm On Nov 29, 2010
Since three days ago,. the just keep calling me with 547, the moment I pick it, they will start saying their automated record stuff in indian intonation, what I could hear alone is record your name, who has received the same call?
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by viveks(m): 4:22pm On Nov 29, 2010
Emmyk:

Since three days ago,. the just keep calling me with 547, the moment I pick it, they will start saying their automated record stuff in indian intonation, what I could hear alone is record your name,  who has received the same call?
Hi Emmyk,

Are you getting this call as an Airtel subscriber or what?
I'm very curious to understand this move: In India, we get such automated recorded calls informing us of festive offerings by Airtel and other competitors.

Cheers,
Vivek
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by Emmyk(m): 7:42pm On Nov 29, 2010
Yeah, it's cos of been an Airtel Subsrciber. Has'nt anyone else received this call? I think it might be related to the FRENZO chat - they sent a text 'bout it to me.
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by Nobody: 4:34am On Dec 01, 2010
Vivek are you indian?
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by viveks(m): 4:38am On Dec 01, 2010
rokiatu:

Vivek are you indian?

Yes I am. By any chance are you aware of the N9/min tariff launched by Airtel?
I found out through this news link
http://businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16438:airtel-fires-fresh-shot-as-telecom-price-war-heats-up&catid=76:hot-topic&Itemid=564

Cheers!
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by Donseaun(m): 6:53am On Dec 01, 2010
This pple have nt done anything so far o! I hope u all knw that too
Re: Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion by Emmyk(m): 10:01am On Dec 01, 2010
cool I can wait for that tariff to start. cheesy wink smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) / Naira To Remain Below 500/dollar This Week —experts / Thread For Those Into Keke Hire Purchase Business (hirers And Owners)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.