Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,627 members, 7,918,022 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 08:40 PM

Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category - Music/Radio (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category (51621 Views)

Wizkid Loses To Angélique Kidjo In Best World Music Album Category / Grammy Awards: Billie Eilish Sweeps Five Awards, Sets New Record / Grammy 2020 Awards: Burna Boy's Fans Support Him Over Angelique Kidjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by freezyprinzy(m): 12:16am On Nov 22, 2019
nkemdi89:
This egun woman abeg allow burna boy win , that was how you and brenda falsie blocked femi chances .
grin
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by oluwoleife: 12:31am On Nov 22, 2019
Burna's gonna claim it on behalf of Fela and Femi

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Xpol: 12:48am On Nov 22, 2019
safarigirl:
We know she is his biggest threat, but what is the point of winning, if the competition is weak?

Burna Boy is the new age of African music, and possibly the youngest Nigerian act from Nigeria to get a nomination this century. He did it without being snuck into an international artiste's album or song. This is his original work and just being a Grammy nominee will boost his CV.

I doubt Angelique won it at her first go anyway
seun kuti was nominated last year but I don’t think he’s older than Burna
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by BravoDe: 1:09am On Nov 22, 2019
jayson87:
Ori ori ooo.. olajumoke lo
she sang it
Wow, that song mehn
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Thecvbankng: 4:16am On Nov 22, 2019
morikee:
Oluwa Burna who be this one wey i no know her seff

Go listen to Burna's album. Her featured her and Bob Marley's son in a song.
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by fr3do(m): 5:14am On Nov 22, 2019
beresponsible:
grin

Angelique Kidjo is a big fish in music, those commenting they don't know her, know at least two of her songs - wombo lombo and agolo

Burna boy even made a cover of the first.

I hope he still wins sha.

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by MiddleDimension: 5:27am On Nov 22, 2019
safarigirl:
We know she is his biggest threat, but what is the point of winning, if the competition is weak?

Burna Boy is the new age of African music, and possibly the youngest Nigerian act from Nigeria to get a nomination this century. He did it without being snuck into an international artiste's album or song. This is his original work and just being a Grammy nominee will boost his CV.

I doubt Angelique won it at her first go anyway

now, if not for the 90s, i wouldn't have known ms Kidjo. as for Burna, well maybe it is because i don't listen to music very much, but i am not thrilled by him. and what category are they going for? why can't they go for the categories where Beyonce et al go for? and why is it such a big thing to be nominated or win the grammy?
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by KMozis: 6:25am On Nov 22, 2019
beresponsible:
Wetin she dey sing sef? Oyinbo can dance to anything. Burna na master

You don't even know that you know her song from the Lion King movie of 1998. grin
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by safarigirl(f): 7:27am On Nov 22, 2019
Xpol:
seun kuti was nominated last year but I don’t think he’s older than Burna
haba. Seun Kuti is like 37 or so, Burna is 28

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Nawtygrrlsecret(f): 8:56am On Nov 22, 2019
There's a song on Burna's African giant album that features Angelique Kidjo, and I'm so crazy about it. Its actually cool if either of them wins. I love this.
kiss
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Morenikeji070: 8:58am On Nov 22, 2019
Lol lolz Now you are talking na the mama get that award.
Topmaike007:
I fear that mama oo
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Xpol: 9:09am On Nov 22, 2019
safarigirl:
haba. Seun Kuti is like 37 or so, Burna is 28
ok I no know but Burna face is older lol
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Tedpgrass: 9:26am On Nov 22, 2019
saajus:
I like Angelique Kidjo. She's a legend but she never really use her platform to help Africa. France pushed her to the world because she's never against our oppressors. She's getting all the appointment from UNESCO, UN and Co because she's not standing tall against their injustice.

I think she's going to win it.

She's won it before.. So please kindly take a seat!! Or be considered in other areas depicting her wealth of experience..

Burnaboy's rise and collaboration with big names (Beyonce, Stormzy/Sheeran ) hopefully puts him in a good place..

I hope he wins it as his music defines upcoming contemporary music for me...

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by krozay(m): 9:42am On Nov 22, 2019
As una dey argue the matter btw angel and burna ,anoda person wey dey their category go just win that award,e go shock una ooh
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Tonymegabush1(m): 10:59am On Nov 22, 2019
unscripted:
so u don't know Agolo , don't let me say u r indomie generation .. Ori ori o olajumoke nlo ,

In life u mustnt knw everyth broda embarassed besides i might ave heard some of her songs just the name alone
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by yinkeys(m): 6:43am On Nov 24, 2019
Minjim:
Of cos we all know that.
When I saw her name there, I was like...lobatan!
I think we should just beg her to leave this for us.
After all, she's won many times before

I've listened to some tracks in the Celia album. It's an album in memory of Celia Cruz, a Spanish woman
Have you listened to African Giant ?
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Minjim: 12:38pm On Nov 24, 2019
yinkeys:

Have you listened to African Giant ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC2qh3MANvs

Have you listened to Celia?
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by yinkeys(m): 11:03pm On Nov 24, 2019
Minjim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC2qh3MANvs

Have you listened to Celia?
Lol no
Which is better ?
Be honest.
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Minjim: 11:17am On Nov 25, 2019
yinkeys:

Lol no
Which is better ?
Be honest.

I'm afraid, I'll give it to Celia.
It has more instrumental symphony than African Gaint.
I can't say much for the lyrics since they're in Spanish
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Kaymaxine(m): 9:15am On Jan 26, 2020
STILESGANG:
The award can go to know anyone.If you think having a nomination makes you an automatic winner then you don’t know nothing
At least he was nominated,what have you been nominated for in your entire life
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by jayson87: 4:24am On Jan 27, 2020
iamDrRhymes:
Grammy award is for musicians- people who are skilled composers, songwriters, and instrumentalists. Grammy is not for freestyle artistes; not for people that sample other people's work or artistes with incoherent lyrics like the Nigerian pop artistes except for a handful that Burna boy is not part of. Burna boy does good music to some extent though but Agelique Kidjo is a musician, Grammy is for musicians and that's why Grammy is called an academic award.

I have been following the Grammies for years now, I will tell you that I was surprised to see burna boy on that list (no hating please, am just being academic and practical here). But incase Burna boy wins, then the standard for winning was reduced. Gaskia!
Hello Dr. just bringing you back, you nailed this please. I once had my whole generation cursed and abused on this kids forum for saying burna boy is not a threat or competition in that list. He was just there to complete the number based on popularity across africa

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by iamDrRhymes(m): 8:18pm On Jan 30, 2020
jayson87:
Hello Dr. just bringing you back, you nailed this please. I once had my whole generation cursed and abused on this kids forum for saying burna boy is not a threat or competition in that list. He was just there to complete the number based on popularity across africa

Absolutely! You have a rear knowledge on the standards of grammy. He was just there to complete the numbers like you said. Burna boy is not a musician, he was only a benefiary of time. His album shouldnt be in top 20 best nigerian album of all time musically.
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by jayson87: 8:21pm On Jan 30, 2020
iamDrRhymes:

Absolutely! You have a rear knowledge on the standards of grammy. He was just there to complete the numbers like you said. Burna boy is not a musician, he was only a benefiary of time. His album shouldnt be in top 20 best nigerian album of all time musically.
I agree with you, Burna boys album can't stand the test of time, incoherent lyrics, everything is just aided by the melodious shake body afrobeats kids of nowadays want.
I was confident he won't come near the first 3 if the results were released

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by iamDrRhymes(m): 8:34pm On Jan 30, 2020
jayson87:
I agree with you, Burna boys album can't stand the test of time, incoherent lyrics, everything is just aided by the melodious shake body afrobeats kids of nowadays want.
I was confident he won't come near the first 3 if the results were released

I can see that you have great understanding of music. Kudos bro!

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Illuminatus(m): 8:27pm On Feb 15, 2020
And then... it happened.

��
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by danigeorge: 10:48pm On Apr 03, 2022
Fans in tears as Wizkid losses two grammy nominations. Burnaboy, Femi kuti and Made kuti also did not win the 64th Grammy award.

Watch video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiSHyzz93A8
LifestyleTonite:
The news currently getting Nigerians excited is the Grammy Awards nomination of African Giant album by Burna Boy.

Burna Boy got nominated for Best World Music Album.

Best World Music Album:

Gece — Altin Gün
What Heat — Bokanté & Metropole Orkest Conducted By Jules Buckley
African Giant — Burna Boy
Fanm D’ayiti — Nathalie Joachim With Spektral Quartet
Celia — Angelique Kidjo

While many Nigerians believe he would bring the award home, no one seems to be taking into consideration the competition against him.

Right about now, his biggest competition from Africa is Angelique Kidjo who has been nominated nine times and won 3 times.

Two out of the three awards she has won came from the Best World Music Album category, while the third award was gotten from the Best Contemporary World Music Album category.

Asides the fact that she has won the award three times, Angelique Kidjo has had a successful year in music. She has shut down many top European and American concert arenas with awesome live performances.

Some of the concert arenas she shut down this year:

Royal Albert Hall

Elbphilharmonie in Hambourg

Auditorium Parco della Musica – Roma

Villa Arconati – Milano

Carrington at Kongsberg jazz festival, Norway

Her concert schedule sees her preparing to perform in more top European and American auditoriums. With all these, it is quite clear that it won’t be a walk in the park for Burna Boy.

Below are pictures from her concerts as found on her Instagram Page .

https://wotzup.ng/why-angelique-kidjo-is-burna-boys-biggest-threat-in-grammy-awards-category/

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Wizkid Wins First-Ever Grammy For ‘Brown Skin Girl’ / “I Win Big Brother, Them Wan Finish Me…” – Efe Says In His Latest Song (Video) / Zinoleesky Ft. Lyta – Hold Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.