Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,584 members, 7,934,743 topics. Date: Thursday, 29 August 2024 at 12:50 PM

Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! (13352 Views)

Tree Branch On A Fuel Queue In Kaduna (Photos) / Gov. Fashola Donates Buses To University Of Lagos Students(photos) / 2 Nigerian Students Invent Fueless Power Generator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by logica(m): 4:29pm On Nov 22, 2010
Oh goodie! 9ja kids finally invented the much talked about ColdFusion? Oops, all I see here is a Dynamo! angry
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by EvilBrain1(m): 4:31pm On Nov 22, 2010
It warms my heart that Nigerians, and secondary school children at that, have built the world's first working perpetual motion machine. They have finally disproved that useless "1st law of thermodynamics" that oyimbo ignoramuses like Einstein and Stephen Hawkin have been bandying about for decades. The world of Physics will never be the same. Its good to see more Philip Emeagwalis and Gabriel Oyibos coming out of our schools. /sarcasm

Seriously though, you have to hand it to these kids for managing to assemble a working dynamo/electric motor. Their machine has no practical use of course but it's still a decent achievement. For all we know, it was the retarded journalist and maybe their teachers that have hyped this thing to this level.

Even if the "inventors" actually believed that they had made something useful, it's still their teachers' fault for not explaining physics to them properly. At least these guys are trying to practicalize what they have read. To me they are a thousand times better than the countless zombies that pass WAEC every year by cramming and vomiting. (Probably what the silly journalist did)

Science is all about experimentation, trial and error. You make mistakes, even ones as stu.pid as this and you learn from them.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by bankylan: 4:40pm On Nov 22, 2010
One day,generators will  run on water, In all Nigerian schools, we are already thinking like that, Vision 2090, Only God knows how many Emeagweli Nigerian schools are  churning out every year,

When I was a kid, I was made to believe that I would be a great scientist as I was smart with joining wires, batteries, and rotators together. I thought my science teacher was right, I never knew he did not know anything about science apart from what he read from a  white man textbooks, Thank God I discovered myself before I entered University, and I am happy that I also discovered my path in life after graduation, I would have been nothing but just a science or engineering graduate and not necessarily a scientist or an engineer,
I think the curriculum is Nigerian schools should be discarded. And we should stop celebrating mediocrity,
And for the journalists, I don't know much about them, but one thing is clear, They are very ignorant, But i think it is a crime when they now impress their ignorance on many Nigerians.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by 190: 4:45pm On Nov 22, 2010
[size=14pt]watch NIGERIA kill their dreams,

they better ship these children to the UK so i can coach them for freee

the sooner the better

cry cry I once had a dream to be a doctor today see me now as an analyst in geographical information systems!

Nigeria Killed my dream, ( no money that time)
[/size]
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by logica(m): 4:48pm On Nov 22, 2010
190:

[size=14pt]
cry cry I once had a dream to be a doctor today see me now as an analyst in geographical information systems!

Nigeria Killed my dream, ( no money that time)
[/size]
And who says you can't do GIS on the human body? as a GIS person with a doctor's mentality, you can map out contours and maps. For instance that area around the crotch will be called 'Bermuda Triangle'.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by Wallie(m): 5:10pm On Nov 22, 2010
I think what the kids did is commendable as they now possess the practical knowledge of how electricity is made. This can only lead to greater future endeavors. However, what they did is to create a step up transformer which is very commendable at that age but not novel. The quote below explains what they did but that’s how it electricity is created except for chemical processes (batteries).

“We used magnetic flux to generate electricity which the conventional magnet cannot. It consists of a shaf fixed with eight neodymium magnets which rotates when an initial current is passed through the field coils. The electricity is then passed from the copper coil to a step-up transformer which steps up the power voltage from 32 volts to 200 volts to power the output of the generator”.

The bottom line is that you create electricity by moving magnets around coils to generate electric fields. What differs in most generation methods is what you use to move the magnets (you can move mechanical parts burning fossil fuel to create steam, nuclear energy to create heat, kinetic energy from wind or water); they used “initial current”.

With regards to the “fuel-less” claim, their mentors should have explained the laws of thermodynamics better to them as I doubt they’ve taken anything more than a cursory look at the laws.

A simple validation of the “fuel-less” claim will be to disconnect their system from wherever they got their “initial current” from and see how long the system’s output voltage stays the same.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by DapoBear(m): 5:18pm On Nov 22, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Also need to consider quality of books being used and what exactly the students really have access to.

There is a book company (Dover Books) that grabs the licences for expired academic books from the 90s, 80s and republishes them cheaply. I sort of wanted to do the same thing, but instead of selling it, just making it freely available online and convincing say Ekiti state to use those books as their curriculum. If the books becomes freely available online, then you should be able to go to the market and just buy them essentially for the cost of the paper.

I think also if there is no profit motive attached, you could convince these book companies to donate a free licence for the books without charging a dime. And also provide the source (usually latex) for the books, so that they could be updated and customized for specific needs.

But I guess from what some have said in this thread, this wouldn't be that useful, since books are relatively cheap anyway.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by Kobojunkie: 5:19pm On Nov 22, 2010
Online books in a country where electricity is still a problem?
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by logica(m): 5:26pm On Nov 22, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Online books in a country where electricity is still a problem?
You will first have to create the kind of libraries you'll find in any zip-code in the US.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by Kobojunkie: 5:29pm On Nov 22, 2010
logica:

You will first have to create the kind of libraries you'll find in any zip-code in the US.

Yeah, I agree! I well stocked Library makes more sense to me than online books or even trying to purchase cheap textbooks for schools.

I remember heading to the library in Ebute when I was younger, to spend my Saturdays. I started reading all the TinTin books, and then Enid Blytons and then moved up to the physics texts and other books. I loved those days. Some of the best memories I have growing up in Nigeria. The Libraries were practically empty -- I doubt most of the folks who lived in Ikorodu even knew of them, but they were well stocked. However, that didn't last.

@Dapobear, why not work on stocking up libraries, with old books instead and working on a campaign to get students understand they can learn a lot and even open the door to their own future by visiting the Libraries? Even those who spend their time reading Children's books and comics will at least help develop their language skills, and who knows what other skills.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by logica(m): 5:38pm On Nov 22, 2010
I mean, those libraries provide free Internet access with which you can access books online for instance. But of course, the libraries will have to run on generators, and the students will probably turn the libraries into yahoo-yahoo spots.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by DapoBear(m): 5:40pm On Nov 22, 2010
Kobojunkie: Err, what? PDFs can be printed and distributed widely.

For example, there is a very popular book used by those in my field of science, called "Elements of Statistical Learning." I own a physical copy of the book. However, the authors got permission from the publisher to make a PDF copy of the book available on their site. So if you are very cheap (as some students in my department are), you could just print out the entire book rather than paying for it.

Sort of see where I'm going here? If a PDF copy of Ekiti State's SSS calculus book is freely available online, then very soon it will be available at the corner market for 200 naira.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by CyberG: 5:44pm On Nov 22, 2010
When I first saw this headline. . .I had to burst into laughter! "Fuel-less" ke? What happened to one of the first laws you will ever learn if you ever took a physics class? "Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it can only be transformed from one state to another" - Law of Conservation of Energy! The blame for this over-hyped work done by these diligent students will rest on the JETS Coordinator and uninformed journalist who did not present the truth about what was actually created. Assuming the journalist had only a background in Languages, is there no journalist who has any technical background whatsoever? Or, does it mean that Google does not work in their office so he can cross check and publish the actual facts?

These kids have done a good job but it is important they be guided properly as they develop further in their academics and choose a career!
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by Kobojunkie: 5:46pm On Nov 22, 2010
DapoBear:

Kobojunkie: Err, what? PDFs can be printed and distributed widely.

For example, there is a very popular book used by those in my field of science, called "Elements of Statistical Learning." I own a physical copy of the book. However, the authors got permission from the publisher to make a PDF copy of the book available on their site. So if you are very cheap (as some students in my department are), you could just print out the entire book rather than paying for it.

Sort of see where I'm going here? If a PDF copy of Ekiti State's SSS calculus book is freely available online, then very soon it will be available at the corner market for 200 naira.

WHAT? Do you realize how much it costs to print these PDF/online books, even here in the United States, let alone in some high school or primary school in Ekiti, Nigeria?  shocked Ah! I am a professional and would rather spend my money actually PURCHASING books than thinking to print those books from online.

I have a HP 2800 here in my room and I would NOT DARE to print a  150 or so book on this machine cause I know how much dent that will be on my ink. lol  Even attempting that at the local library will cost you more than 30 bucks, and you think it will come out for Naira 200?
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by DapoBear(m): 6:09pm On Nov 22, 2010
Kobojunkie:

WHAT? Do you realize how much it costs to print these PDF/online books, even here in the United States, let alone in some high school or primary school in Ekiti, Nigeria?  shocked Ah! I am a professional and would rather spend my money actually PURCHASING books than thinking to print those books from online.

I have a HP 2800 here in my room and I would NOT DARE to print a  150 or so book on this machine cause I know how much dent that will be on my ink. lol  Even attempting that at the local library will cost you more than 30 bucks, and you think it will come out for Naira 200?

Kobojunkie, think of Kinkos, or any of these copy shops. You take it to them and they charge you 10-15 cents per page. Print 500 pages for like $5-8 bucks, or something.
Look, it doesn't even make sense for us to be worrying how much it will cost to print. Put it online and make it freely available, and some enterprising entrepreneur will make the selling of those books his livelihood. I'm pretty sure the economics of it will work out from his end.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by Kobojunkie: 6:16pm On Nov 22, 2010
500 -800 pages at Kinkos is not $5-$8 bucks! The correct maths is $50 to $80.

It makes a buck load of sense to worry about cost because the very reason why these people do not have access to even books available for purchase right now is COST. So, any solution out there should be one that considers COST and works to reduce it as much as possible, not increase it. 

To access your online books, these students/schools require computers, and internet access -- COST

To print the books, these students/schools require money to pay for the copies for each student -- COST

If it costs the students/teachers $20 or above to print just one book, for each student, what is the gain?
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by Pharoh: 6:30pm On Nov 22, 2010
@Kobo and Dapo

Thanks for these talk and i am very interested as well but do we continue here or create a new thread?

Anyway dapo, your idea is noble but in most Nigerian schools i think they always have a recommended book for each subject. You can as well get other books, some of these books are new while some are used books so different prices. Have you considered the effort of those who made these textbooks? how are they going to reap their profits with these kind of arrangement?

Whatever the suggestion might be i think cost and feasibility of any proposal should be at the front burner. Electricity and internet connection cost are not cheap. I believe a simple ebook reader will be the best solution for these kind of project, i have been thinking towards that angle for a long time now. Just that most ereaders are expensive compared to Nigeria standard, i am closely watching the $35 India ereader project in the works.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by DapoBear(m): 6:35pm On Nov 22, 2010
@Kobojunkie: Whoops, sorry about the terrible math error, quite embarrassing. I should not have chosen Kinkos as an example of where to get a document printed.

Kobojunkie, look, I'm not envisioning people sitting at their computer printing out a textbook. Or a teacher/school doing this. The point is to say, "Here is the book we will use for this school system. It is freely available for anyone to print or produce."

Now, from there, existing book printers, publishers, entrepreneurs, etc can then produce books for the school system for very low costs.

I realize how poor my Kinkos example was. But I do want to point out that this type of thing IS being done in the 3rd world, especially in India. One of my friends for example, every time he goes home to India I have him go to the market and pick up certain books for me. Most recent one he got for me is a copy of a book ("Real Analysis" by Royden) for the equivalent of $5 bucks. Of course, it is a paperback version and not quite as high quality as the original, but also much cheaper than the same book new from amazon.com (like $80 there.)

You see what I'm trying to do here? Make the knowledge itself easily available and then let the free-market and entrepreneurship whittle down the costs of the knowledge as much as possible.

So do you see my point? If you make it freely available, costs WILL be driven down.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by Kobojunkie: 6:42pm On Nov 22, 2010
DapoBear:

@Kobojunkie: Whoops, sorry about the terrible math error, quite embarrassing. I should not have chosen Kinkos as an example of where to get a document printed.

Kobojunkie, look, I'm not envisioning people sitting at their computer printing out a textbook. Or a teacher/school doing this. The point is to say, "Here is the book we will use for this school system. It is freely available for anyone to print or produce."
But you are making a mistake here. The book is NOT FREELY available in the way you put it. You have to factor in the cost of internet, Printing and maybe binding before you can make that claim.
It is not now the case that these books are not available in the market for purchase, so I don’t see how special online books really are in this case when these same, on the majority, have no computers nor access to it.

DapoBear:
Now, from there, existing book printers, publishers, entrepreneurs, etc can then produce books for the school system for very low costs.
But most of the books are already produced in Nigeria by the same printers, and many do not bother with license issues. I remember back when I was in secondary school, we already had the fake mcMillians(low quality prints) which were way cheaper than the originals but very poor quality.

DapoBear:
I realize how poor my Kinkos example was. But I do want to point out that this type of thing IS being done in the 3rd world, especially in India. One of my friends for example, every time he goes home to India I have him go to the market and pick up certain books for me. Most recent one he got for me is a copy of a book ("Real Analysis" by Royden) for the equivalent of $5 bucks. Of course, it is a paperback version and not quite as high quality as the original, but also much cheaper than the same book new from amazon.com (like $80 there.)

You see what I'm trying to do here? Make the knowledge itself easily available and then let the free-market and entrepreneurship whittle down the costs of the knowledge as much as possible.

So do you see my point? If you make it freely available, costs WILL be driven down.
WOW . . . ol’ boy! When you don enter naija last? I understand what you idea there but dude, you have to get a better picture of what the real problem is to proffer solutions in this case. I don’t believe it is the case that publishers are affected by licensing issues in the way you think. How many of those do we even have in Nigeria?
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by Kobojunkie: 6:48pm On Nov 22, 2010
Pharoh:

@Kobo and Dapo

Thanks for these talk and i am very interested as well but do we continue here or create a new thread?

Anyway dapo, your idea is noble but in most Nigerian schools i think they always have a recommended book for each subject. You can as well get other books, some of these books are new while some are used books so different prices. Have you considered the effort of those who made these textbooks? how are they going to reap their profits with these kind of arrangement?

Whatever the suggestion might be i think cost and feasibility of any proposal should be at the front burner. Electricity and internet connection cost are not cheap. I believe a simple ebook reader will be the best solution for these kind of project, i have been thinking towards that angle for a long time now. Just that most ereaders are expensive compared to Nigeria standard, i am closely watching the $35 India ereader project in the works.

I am with you on opening a new thread, and possibly making this a project for 2011.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by DapoBear(m): 6:51pm On Nov 22, 2010
Kobojunkie:

But you are making a mistake here. The book is NOT FREELY available in the way you put it.  You have to factor in the cost of internet, Printing and maybe binding before you can make that claim.
The latter two costs are THE SAME for whatever books are currently available. The internet cost is a ONE TIME fixed fee. You download the PDF (probably 2-3 megs, max) once, get it on your computer, and then pay whatever fixed cost that is exactly ONCE.

It is not now the case that these books are not available in the market for purchase, so I don’t see how special online books really are in this case when these same, on the majority, have no computers  nor access to it.
But most of the books are already produced in Nigeria by the same printers, and many do not bother with license issues. I remember back when I was in secondary school, we already had the fake mcMillians(low quality prints) which were way cheaper than the originals but very poor quality.
I don't know how those low-quality prints were produced. Or what produced the low quality. Was it the ink, paper, or the copying mechanism?

WOW . . .  ol’ boy! When you don enter naija last? I understand what you idea there but dude, you have to get a better picture of what the real problem is to proffer solutions in this case. I don’t believe it is the case that publishers are affected by licensing issues in the way you think. How many of those do we even have in Nigeria?
Licensing might not be an issue, because they just copy existing books somehow. But don't you think their costs would be lowered, and thus the end cost to the consumer would be lower if they didn't have to clandestinely copy? Their current mechanism is probably something lame like using a scanner and low-quality OCR. Or hell, just scanning period and printing from that. Obviously, this alternative would reduce their costs (no need to scan, just download once and produce), thus reducing costs for the end consumer.

In any case, as others have said, we should probably continue this discussion elsewhere (e.g., the education forum.)
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by Kobojunkie: 7:01pm On Nov 22, 2010
DapoBear:

The latter two costs are THE SAME for whatever books are currently available. The internet cost is a ONE TIME fixed fee. You download the PDF (probably 2-3 megs, max) once, get it on your computer, and then pay whatever fixed cost that is exactly ONCE.
You are still missing the point, or maybe I am still not getting you. If the cost is fixed, and it costs about $20 per copy, how much cheaper is that to the publishing companies or the students who have direct access to the same but find it is costly to go online, and then print them?
DapoBear:

I don't know how those low-quality prints were produced. Or what produced the low quality. Was it the ink, paper, or the copying mechanism?
Paper, ink everything. They didn’t even bother to make sure many of the pages were bound correctly. I remember purchasing a mcmillian book for chemistry that had some blank pages still. When I went to purchase books for medical school, I was shown the ORIGINAL and FAKE copies and told to decide which I would want based on how much I could afford. I ofcourse went for the original cause I could afford it but many of my classmates opted for the fake and essentially had to deal with the sloppy way it was put together. Now, fake does not necessarily mean cheaper – well, depending on how you want to see it. My Grants textbox cost about N15,000 back then(probably $150), the fake cost about Naira 5000(which was still a lot for most of those who had to opt for that), and you could tell the difference.
DapoBear:

Licensing might not be an issue, because they just copy existing books somehow. But don't you think their costs would be lowered, and thus the end cost to the consumer would be lower if they didn't have to clandestinely copy? Their current mechanism is probably something lame like using a scanner and low-quality OCR. Or hell, just scanning period and printing from that. Obviously, this alternative would reduce their costs (no need to scan, just download once and produce), thus reducing costs for the end consumer.

In any case, as others have said, we should probably continue this discussion elsewhere (e.g., the education forum.)

I have access to ebooks but would dare not send them to printer. In fact, I end up going to Amazon to purchase the books since that turns out to be way cheaper than attempting to print said books. Whether you are trying to send this directly to the teachers/students or to publishers, I still do not see this as a cost effective solution to the issues highlighted.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by DapoBear(m): 7:14pm On Nov 22, 2010
Kobojunkie:

You are still missing the point, or maybe I am still not getting you. If the cost is fixed, and it costs about $20 per copy, how much cheaper is that to the publishing companies or the students who have direct access to the same  but find it is costly to go online, and then print them?
So your point is that if the book is available in some digital format to the bootleg publisher, this doesn't reduce his costs at all? What am I misunderstanding about the printing process that makes this true? Printers of fake books still use computers and some sort of digitial printing device, no? If I can provide him with a perfect, high-quality digital copy of the textbook used by the school system for the state, this doesn't reduce his costs of publishing at all?

Is this your point? Not trying to attack it, but just trying to understand it.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by Kobojunkie: 7:21pm On Nov 22, 2010
DapoBear:

So your point is that if the book is available in some digital format to the bootleg publisher, this doesn't reduce his costs at all?
Here is what you need to know. There exists tons of ebooks online these days that these bootleggers probably do not need to wait for you to provide them these non licensed versions to do whatever it is they already. I have access to and have many of these ebooks myself(many I actually purchased legitimately), what incentive do I have to instead wait for a bootleg publisher to print his copy so I can purchase it?

DapoBear:

What am I misunderstanding about the printing process that makes this true? Printers of fake books still use computers and some sort of digitial printing device, no?

Well, the example  I gave you was from 15-20 years ago, I am not sure if our local printers had access to printers and digital printing devices.

DapoBear:

If I can provide him with a perfect, high-quality digital copy of the textbook used by the school system for the state, this doesn't reduce his costs of publishing at all?

So are you operating under the assumption then that he does not have access to high quality digital copies of the textbooks and already uses that for his fake copies now? If you make free licenses available to all publishers, both Legit and None, Don't you think you create a disadvantage of some sort for the legit publishers(well the few we have now) who have for years been fighting to stay ahead of their FAKE competition?

DapoBear:

I am good!
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by Pharoh: 7:23pm On Nov 22, 2010
DapoBear:

So your point is that if the book is available in some digital format to the bootleg publisher, this doesn't reduce his costs at all? What am I misunderstanding about the printing process that makes this true? Printers of fake books still use computers and some sort of digitial printing device, no? If I can provide him with a perfect, high-quality digital copy of the textbook used by the school system for the state, this doesn't reduce his costs of publishing at all?

Printers of fake books i think normally use colored scanners and printers, i don't think any Nigerian textbook sold in Nigeria is in digital format. I am sure only those on sites like amazon you will find on digital formats. I think at the end of the day what you will create is just a cheaper product because those who do the fake business now will still print it in mass and sell at a cheaper rate than you printing yourself. A publisher i think will only make a digital copy of his or her works provided is profits are not eroded and how will you do that with this idea?. Amazon and other big digital book stores have DRM along with those books so they cannot be easily copied.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by ollybosieb: 7:27pm On Nov 22, 2010
I  give kudos to the kids for their effort but the article is misleading, fuel-less generator  is same thing as inverter which has been in used for  a very long time.
For article to say they invent it means they created something that was not in existence  before.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by DapoBear(m): 7:34pm On Nov 22, 2010
Pharoh:

Printers of fake books i think normally use colored scanners and printers, i don't think any Nigerian textbook sold in Nigeria is in digital format. I am sure only those on sites like amazon you will find on digital formats. I think at the end of the day what you will create is just a cheaper product because those who do the fake business now will still print it in mass and sell at a cheaper rate than you printing yourself. A publisher i think will only make a digital copy of his or her works provided is profits are not eroded and how will you do that with this idea?. Amazon and other big digital book stores have DRM along with those books so they cannot be easily copied.

So think of this printer of fake books. Rather than using the colored scanner or even having to scan at all, he downloads this 3MB PDF onto his computer. So no time wasted manually scanning, no OCR issues, none of that. Just print and go. See what I'm saying? I've reduced the cost of the printing for the fake bookseller. So the book he is selling is not a low-quality scanner version, but (depending on the quality of his paper, ink and binding), a version just as good as the one sold by amazon.com.
Do you see how this helps drive down costs of books by not requiring him to bother scanning anything? And if I drive down the costs of his business (while increasing the quality of his product), then I help those who seek to purchase books for school.
To illustrate, you buy crappy version of the book from fake bookseller for $X. Now you buy a high-quality version of the book for $Y, with Y quite possibly being less than X.

Kobojunkie:

So are you operating under the assumption then that he does not have access to high quality digital copies of the textbooks and already uses that for his fake copies now?
It takes a lot of time and energy to produce a high-quality copy of a textbook. Think of a biology book for example, with hundreds of pictures in it. It will take you a lot of time to scan by hand in the pages. And the quality of the pictures (and text) will be poor.
So yes, I am assuming that bootleg book publisher doesn't have high quality digital copy of textbook.
You have to remember that the ebooks or whatever you get written by O'Reilly, Wrox, or whoever for computing topics, typically the same doesn't exist for calculus, physics, chemistry, biology, economics, etc.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by 190: 7:36pm On Nov 22, 2010
logica:

And who says you can't do GIS on the human body? as a GIS person with a doctor's mentality, you can map out contours and maps. For instance that area around the crotch will be called 'Bermuda Triangle'.

YAAAY

Im finished

This girl don use laff kill me grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by mrmayor(m): 7:50pm On Nov 22, 2010
Nigerian Journalism is a joke, I get so mad everytime our dear journalist describe Market Stalls, Classroom blocks, Abuja and MM2 Airports etc as Ultra Modern! Everything built by government is Ultra Modern! cheesy cheesy.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by Pharoh: 7:51pm On Nov 22, 2010
DapoBear:

So think of this printer of fake books. Rather than using the colored scanner or even having to scan at all, he downloads this 3MB PDF onto his computer. So no time wasted manually scanning, no OCR issues, none of that. Just print and go. See what I'm saying? I've reduced the cost of the printing for the fake bookseller. So the book he is selling is not a low-quality scanner version, but (depending on the quality of his paper, ink and binding), a version just as good as the one sold by amazon.com.
Do you see how this helps drive down costs of books by not requiring him to bother scanning anything? And if I drive down the costs of his business (while increasing the quality of his product), then I help those who seek to purchase books for school.
To illustrate, you buy crappy version of the book from fake bookseller for $X. Now you buy a high-quality version of the book for $Y, with Y quite possibly being less than X.

Your point is well noted but the problem is the products or book does not belong to the fake re-distributor. The author and publisher also needs to get compensation for their works, if they do not make profits then what will be the incentive to write good books?.  My brother trust me some people still cannot afford the present cheap fake books and the quality is so bad.  I am on for a way of reaching 90% of the population at a cheaper price than reaching 20% at the current price. Most students do not have even these so called fake books because it is not cheap, these fake re-distributors should just obtain license rights to publish these books as well.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by Kobojunkie: 7:59pm On Nov 22, 2010
DapoBear:

It takes a lot of time and energy to produce a high-quality copy of a textbook. Think of a biology book for example, with hundreds of pictures in it. It will take you a lot of time to scan by hand in the pages. And the quality of the pictures (and text) will be poor.
So yes, I am assuming that bootleg book publisher doesn't have high quality digital copy of textbook.
You have to remember that the ebooks or whatever you get written by O'Reilly, Wrox, or whoever for computing topics, typically the same doesn't exist for calculus, physics, chemistry, biology, economics, etc.
Sigh!

Honestly, I think it is a good idea but not a great idea. Making public license-free copies of texts will not necessarily solve the main problem I see here. I mean it will maybe increase circulation of better fake books but I see it also creating some problems that might come back to bite us in the butt later on.

For one it requires supporting bootleggers with no guarantee that there will be a serious reduction in costs for the end users. If paper and ink costs do not follow suit(fall), I am not certain that a digital copy will save the day here.

Also, have we considered the effect this may have on business for the reputable printing companies we have in the country? I am referring to companies that have for years fought against the flooding of markets with bootlegged books. Isn't it possible this will move will force some of them to finally close shop?

Do go ahead and fill us in on how it goes. I would definitely love to know.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by DapoBear(m): 8:03pm On Nov 22, 2010
Pharoh:

Your point is well noted but the problem is the products or book does not belong to the fake re-distributor. The author and publisher also needs to get compensation for their works, if they do not make profits then what will be the incentive to write good books?.  My brother trust me some people still cannot afford the present cheap fake books and the quality is so bad.  I am on for a way of reaching 90% of the population at a cheaper price than reaching 20% at the current price. Most students do not have even these so called fake books because it is not cheap, these fake re-distributors should just obtain license rights to publish these books as well.

Ah, that is the beauty of it. Generally the authors are professors, academics, not money-grubbing billionaires. They aren't out to make huge money here from their books. Moreover, they will not be dogmatic about extracting a pound of flesh for a calculus book that is ten years out of print. Like I said earlier, there is company called Dover Books that buys up the rights to out of print math books and resells them at very low costs. That is their entire business. If you think about it, a calculus book from the 80s is just as good content-wise as one printed now; the amount of advancement in very fundamental areas like that is very small. Yet Dover is able to sell you a reprint of the 80s calculus book for $8-15 bucks, versus paying $100 for a new calculus book written recently.

For a non-profit cause such as this, which aims to improve the education levels in Nigeria, it would not be very difficult to convince the professors and publishers to open-source such textbooks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Government Accused Of Renting Protesters Against Amnesty International / Akinwunmi Ambode Becomes Patron Of The Lagos State Scout Council (PHOTOS) / Former Bauchi Governor, Yuguda Dumps GPN For APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.