Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,625 members, 7,888,997 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 08:09 PM

Beware: Giving To These "Poor" Persons Is Not Encouraged In The Bible - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Beware: Giving To These "Poor" Persons Is Not Encouraged In The Bible (817 Views)

My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? / Prophet Fufeyin: Now Is The Time To Display Your Wealth By Giving To The Needy / ChitChat on GOD, The Architecture of Life & its Universe (Derailing Encouraged) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware: Giving To These "Poor" Persons Is Not Encouraged In The Bible by Techwriter: 3:24am On Nov 24, 2019
The recent clamour from several quarters for churches, pastors and members to give more attention to the poor and destitute is gradually reviving a sense of entitlement in the mind of some Christians. We need to start balancing this message lest we hamper the spread of the Gospel by diverting funds to help those Bible says are undeserving of such.

I don’t know what the Koran teach about giving that has flooded the streets of Kano with able-bodied Almajiri begging youths but I definitely know what the Bible teaches.: “He that does not work should not eat” is a New Testament aphorism stated in Paul’s letter to the Church in Thessalonica (1 Thes 3:10). Why would Brother Paul discourage helping “poor” CHURCH MEMBERS with something as basic as food? And as if that is not harsh enough he went further to say that those who cannot take care of their family members is worse than an unbeliever.

Paul understood that most people’s poverty is a choice. People can be poor due to a physical disability, death of a bread winner (widow), sudden disaster and other circumstances fully beyond their control. That is quite understandable and fall within the category of people the Bible recommends for help. But the following set of people do not deserve mercy, the best way to help them is to deny them certain privileges to the intent it may force them to think and become productive

When you see someone with 70% of the following features, never waste your resources on them.

1. LAZY PEOPLE:
Talking about this set of people, the Bible says that they became poor by folding their hands and refusing to work Prov 6:10-11. Not that they are not able to work but they are just unwilling to. Someone that has no job should see job search as a full time job and not sit at home watching premier league. Don’t think that helping people like this is helping the poor you’re simply encouraging their lifestyle that will end up impacting negatively on society by reducing the productive work force. The New Testament endorses hunger for such people-they don’t deserve to eat. Period!

They carry their problems on their heads everywhere they go. Give them job they will still not deliver result and will rather focus on how meager the income is in comparison to their problems. Instead of them discussing how they can be more effective with their jobs, they will come to management telling their family challenges as why they need a raise. They believe you the boss is a man of God and should understand. They didn't see the scripture that says "He also that is slothful in his work is brother to him that is a great waster." Prov 18:9

2. PEOPLE WITH ENTITLEMENT MINDSET:
These ones believe that people owe them something and are bitter when they feel those that are supposed to be responsible for their welfare abandoned them. They criticize their uncle; father and other relatives who they believe are in the position to help them but are not. Same way they gossip about their pastor and how churches don’t help people. Most of the stories you hear about the church not helping the poor come from this set of “poor” church members. They are poor because they are waiting for one angel to pick them up and change their lives and be permanently there for their needs. You can’t help such people with food or prayer; their deliverance will come the day they realize that no one owes them anything and wake up to a sense of responsibility. They criticize a lot, contribute nothing and demand everything.

3. PEOPLE WITH ABJECT BEGGING HABIT:
It is good(though not easy) to ask for help when you are pressed beyond your limit. But there are people that begging comes so easy with them. They no longer have any sense of shame or self-esteem. They don’t have a job they beg for food, they now get a job they still beg for tfare. In all my years of trying to help people I consider to be in need I have noticed that people that find it very easy to beg have never improved economically. You will know begging is easy with them because once you give them, they now identify you as an easy prey for further begging and even when you refuse they will still keep coming-no shame whatsoever. They are poor because they lost the sense of self-esteem necessary to wake up their potentials. The best way to help them is to assist them rediscover themselves and not by giving them aid. The Bible's advice is "Don't visit your neighbors too often, or you will wear out your welcome." Prov 25:17

One of them was always begging me for school fees, hospital bill and house rent meanwhile the area he's living is far more expensive than the area I live. One day he came to me for rent then asked me a question: "you are living in a duplex right?" he was shocked when I replied NO. In his mind the reason we give is because we have more than enough.

4. PEOPLE THAT LACK CONTENTMENT:
The Bible says having food and clothing is enough to make someone contented while pursuing higher goals.(1 Tim 6:8-10) But some people can never be contented with what they have; they would rather choose to be called the poor if that would open doors to some privileges than stay contented. Some of them have enough to eat, and even drive a car but lack of contentment and comparing themselves with others still makes them think they are poor. Most of them have been further reduced to poverty by their betting and gambling lifestyle because they are looking for quick money. The message on materialism (some falsely label prosperity) will not help these ones; they need to understand what it means to have the joy of salvation and that a man's life does not consist on the abundance of what he possesses. Luke 12:15

5. PEOPLE THAT MISMANAGES RESOURCES:
Some people live a life of instant gratification. Once money enters their hands they have started spending. They are like Esau the hunter-all their proceeds have only one lifespan. On the contrary Jacob was a shepherd-he is able to multiply whatever proceed he has and nurture it. One day Esau was hungry as people like that will always be. They can mortgage their future for a pot of stew that can only satisfy the immediate needs. Some of them are highly talented; God has invested a lot in them to make them rich but NO they will rather eat everything once and try to make the rich feel guilty for not helping them. Meanwhile the help they actually need is to deny themselves certain pleasures for future gains- that is the basic secret of the rich and it is available to all.

They are like the prodigal son in Luke 15:11-32, once money enters their hands, they travel to a far country(like Dubai or shoprite depending on their level) and squander everything in riotous living. Note that in the midst of his poverty, his father never went looking for him to assist him with more funds rather it was lack that made him come back to his senses. Stop trying to help people that are poor after travelling to a far country and living lavishly

6. PEOPLE THAT CHOOSE MIRACLES OVER PRINCIPLES:
When the church organizes business or career seminars they will not attend but will be the first to clean the chairs in a miracle night meeting. They are always looking for a church where it is happening and God is answering fast fast. Fake prophets live off this category of “poor” people. They like those testimonies that showcases someone that sowed little money and reaped great money, how money is locating someone that has no work etc.

This people’s gullibility and lack of understanding on spiritual matters kept them poor. You cannot help them by giving them money when they sowed the little they have on religious gambling. They have become like the proverbial those who have not and even the little they have are taken away and given to the pastor that has more.

FINALLY
For almost a decade now, I have been so concerned about what people go through because of what I went through. But unlike me that neither saw myself as poor nor did I beg and burden people with my challenges a lot of all those I have tried to help with no success fail under the above category of persons. Over the years their lives has not progressed one inch by my helping them financially. They always go back to square one.

I have quit my commitment to these group of persons and I urge you to quit too. Why? Its the best way to help them find their way out of the woods

Source: https://www.facebook.com/judewatchman/posts/10156442868297540?comment_id=10156444101567540&notif_id=1574542353577159&notif_t=feed_comment

3 Likes

Re: Beware: Giving To These "Poor" Persons Is Not Encouraged In The Bible by Techwriter: 3:25am On Nov 24, 2019
Quite insightful

1 Like

Re: Beware: Giving To These "Poor" Persons Is Not Encouraged In The Bible by OpenYourEyes1: 3:53am On Nov 24, 2019
If street kids especially the almajiri beg you money, give them food instead.
Just pay for the food in nearest restaurants and leave, to avoid problems.

The problem with giving them money is that they may be giving the money to those that send them to beg.

We must help those that are in need. It's very necessary.
Re: Beware: Giving To These "Poor" Persons Is Not Encouraged In The Bible by Greyworld: 4:07am On Nov 24, 2019
Now I av seen a post that made me very happy so early. .. it's indeed gonna b a propitious day.
Re: Beware: Giving To These "Poor" Persons Is Not Encouraged In The Bible by b3llo(m): 4:10am On Nov 24, 2019
Habitual beggers... Those that can even beg the life out of you. The annoying thing about this set of people is that they see nothing wrong in it.
Re: Beware: Giving To These "Poor" Persons Is Not Encouraged In The Bible by OpenYourEyes1: 4:14am On Nov 24, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:

The problem with giving them money is that they may be giving the money to those that send them to beg.

By the way, I would advice people not to give money online unless they do thorough investigation. When you see a beggar, give food instead.

Do a thorough investigation before giving money.
If possible, know where a "charity organization" operates before donating.
Re: Beware: Giving To These "Poor" Persons Is Not Encouraged In The Bible by Nobody: 5:26am On Nov 24, 2019
This kind of gravely erroneous Op is expected when people begin to place the teachings of a mere servant above that of the Lord Jesus who said:

Luke 12:33-34 (KJV)

33 Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.
34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Matthew 25:31-46 (KJV)

31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

These are a few of the teachings of Jesus concerning giving to the poor and needy, for Jesus aggressively and emphatically taught about giving to the poor and needy, that He usually attached the consequences of not doing so to eternal damnation.

Now any one who is truly a follower of Jesus should ask the simple question why most present-day church leaders who ought to follow Jesus' example hardly or never emphasize giving to the poor as Jesus had done?

Instead what they emphasize and aggressively teach is giving of tithes which some of them have threatened defaulters with eternal damnation which Jesus never did?

Be very wary of such church leaders who do such for so did the Pharisees who were called "blind leaders of the blind" by Jesus who said:

Matthew 15:14 (KJV)

14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

And you very know what the ditch is don't you, so be very careful that you don't follow teachings of such blind leaders which appeal to your flesh than those of the Spirit taught by Jesus who Is the one that you'd appear before on the day of judgment, as illustrated in His parable of the sheep and goats.

It's important to ask yourself now which category you fall into, the sheep or goats? By your answer you should have an idea of what judgment awaits you at the end.

It's important to note that the poor and needy includes those within and without the church, so this doesn't in any way aimed to stop people from giving to the church, but when it becomes giving to the rich and affluent both within and without the church, then it becomes a potentially eternally damning situation.

God bless.
Re: Beware: Giving To These "Poor" Persons Is Not Encouraged In The Bible by OpenYourEyes1: 5:42am On Nov 24, 2019
Brothers and sisters, we have no option than to help. We must help those in need especially the poor widows, children in need,
etc
Stop helping those who don't need help. Look at impoverished kids everywhere. What is wrong with people?
Re: Beware: Giving To These "Poor" Persons Is Not Encouraged In The Bible by Bluntguy: 5:43am On Nov 24, 2019
Very apt. Let me see who will make me feel guilty again for not sending money to my lazy elder brother who has refused to grow up. Thank you O jare.
Re: Beware: Giving To These "Poor" Persons Is Not Encouraged In The Bible by OpenYourEyes1: 6:02am On Nov 24, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:

Proverbs 28:27 “Whoever gives to the poor will not want, but he who hides his eyes will get many a curse.”

For our own good and the good of a society. ^^
We must stop destroying ourselves due to ignorance.
Re: Beware: Giving To These "Poor" Persons Is Not Encouraged In The Bible by Techwriter: 9:53pm On Nov 24, 2019
This is how most believers live. One way thinking and preaching. If only you read the piece before this long sermon

jesusjnr:
This kind of gravely erroneous Op is expected when people begin to place the teachings of a mere servant above that of the Lord Jesus who said:

Luke 12:33-34 (KJV)

33 Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.
34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Matthew 25:31-46 (KJV)

31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

These are a few of the teachings of Jesus concerning giving to the poor and needy, for Jesus aggressively and emphatically taught about giving to the poor and needy, that He usually attached the consequences of not doing so to eternal damnation.

Now any one who is truly a follower of Jesus should ask the simple question why most present-day church leaders who ought to follow Jesus' example hardly or never emphasize giving to the poor as Jesus had done?

Instead what they emphasize and aggressively teach is giving of tithes which some of them have threatened defaulters with eternal damnation which Jesus never did?

Be very wary of such church leaders who do such for so did the Pharisees who were called "blind leaders of the blind" by Jesus who said:

Matthew 15:14 (KJV)

14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

And you very know what the ditch is don't you, so be very careful that you don't follow teachings of such blind leaders which appeal to your flesh than those of the Spirit taught by Jesus who Is the one that you'd appear before on the day of judgment, as illustrated in His parable of the sheep and goats.

It's important to ask yourself now which category you fall into, the sheep or goats? By your answer you should have an idea of what judgment awaits you at the end.

It's important to note that the poor and needy includes those within and without the church, so this doesn't in any way aimed to stop people from giving to the church, but when it becomes giving to the rich and affluent both within and without the church, then it becomes a potentially eternally damning situation.

God bless.
Re: Beware: Giving To These "Poor" Persons Is Not Encouraged In The Bible by Nobody: 12:22am On Nov 25, 2019
Techwriter:
This is how most believers live. One way thinking and preaching. If only you read the piece before this long sermon

Lol! Thinking the way of the Truth is thinking one way?

Of course it is one Way, and it leads to eternal life as it clearly showed, so if you like don't learn and follow the only way which is Jesus and be looking for other ways which would lead you to the pit.

You can't complain about my long sermon which is made long with the teachings of Jesus, when yours which is much longer is filled with the teachings of men which are contrary to that of Jesus.

(1) (Reply)

Christians Will Be Cool With ECKANKAR If... / Titled: Witchcraft  Infrastructure And  Logistic  Of Satan. / Ancestral Curse- What Sin Did Our Forefathers Commit That Whitemen Didn't Commit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.