Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,884 members, 7,909,339 topics. Date: Friday, 02 August 2024 at 11:12 PM

Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! (56506 Views)

A Yoruba Developer, Stephen Akintayo, Buys Land For Real Estate In South-East / Artisan Who Survived Ikoyi Building Collapse Reveals What He Did / *property For Sale At Festac Town* 7 Bedroom Ensuite Mansion House 3 Living Roo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by bilulu(m): 3:12pm On Nov 25, 2019
salford1:

That's when you bite more than you can chew which is rampant among Nigerians especially in North America in a bid to impress their friends, family, church members etc. Most Oyinbo will save for years to buy a house with 20% and above - This gives a better interest rate, lesser amount borrowed, and helps to avoid the 4% bank insurance on the amount borrowed. (In Canada). Oyinbo would also often go for a house they can easily afford to pay without breaking a sweat, but our Nigerian people will buy the biggest house at 5% down payment and begin to work like a slave to keep up. Any little wahala, the house is gone.

Nothing wrong with mortgage aslong as you cut your coat to size.
Make sense.... you see them working two jobs and they even hardly sleep in the house they re paying property tax and mortgage on

3 Likes

Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by bilulu(m): 3:13pm On Nov 25, 2019
Tina26:
so one should continue paying rent till retirement does that make any sense to u
Anty you do what’s best for you
Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by bilulu(m): 3:14pm On Nov 25, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

After 33 continuous years in the USA, I know a thing or two about oversea mortgages. Oh and I managed real estate banking for Bank of America for a while grin

But I get your points.
Only trying to make it clear to those in Nigeria how things work so they won’t get depressed and think it’s all rosy down here

3 Likes

Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by femi4: 3:24pm On Nov 25, 2019
obailala:
Loads of people also prosper in Nigeria where the system doesn't work, and there're also people in those places where things work who haven't prospered like this after decades. SO in summary, it's an individual thing.
If you do statistics in school, you ll know that the percentage of people achieving success in a sane clime is higher when compares to those living in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by 0monnak0da: 3:29pm On Nov 25, 2019
bizzibodi:

That is untrue.
Why argue foolishly
Are you in the UK or you just want to do I too know
Houses are built with cement blocks and the exterior covered with bricks .
Educate yourself and stop being a nuisance
Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by sonnie10: 3:30pm On Nov 25, 2019
itsme01:

look, 10% of asset in Uk or US especially the lowly priced areas Nigerians buy asset cant buy two houses in the part of nigeria i come from, (southwest).. the reason houses go for as far as 400-500k is because intrest rates are factored into cost since you are on mortgage goto upscale areas in Nigeria and see what real estate go out for
The interest rate part is not true. If you include the 4-5% interest rate over 30 year for a conventional mortgage for that amount, it runs in millions
Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by erico2k2(m): 3:32pm On Nov 25, 2019
naijadrivablog:
cool

Nice, but why not first build in Nigeria (like in Lagos or another city), especially a rentable house, before buying a house in the UK?

Just a little case now, those Tax hungry people would seize it or something.
This is not the US< our tax is PAYE, U will never owe tax if you are employed
Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by cococandy(f): 3:33pm On Nov 25, 2019
bilulu:

Nice one bro but I don’t really know if you can sell off a house you got on mortgage. If you live close to those on mortgage you will realize it is easier to pay rent than get a mortgage.

None of this is true.

If you’re paying mortgage on a house, it’s yours. You can sell it and get bank the money you’ve already put into it. And the bank resells the house to someone else.

The hard part about getting a house is saving up the down payment. Which for a decent house with a minimum of four bedrooms and 2-3 bathrooms in good location is anywhere from 30-80 thousand dollars.

Once you have your down payment saved up and a good credit history, it’s easier than renting.

If I live close to those on mortgage? grin
That was funny

4 Likes

Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by cococandy(f): 3:34pm On Nov 25, 2019
That’s how you know many posters on NL just type and post.
No real first hand understanding of what they are posting on.

sonnie10:

The interest rate part is not true. If you include the 4-5% interest rate over 30 year for a conventional mortgage for that amount, it runs in millions

2 Likes

Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by Rubyventures: 3:41pm On Nov 25, 2019
naijadrivablog:
cool

Nice, but why not first build in Nigeria (like in Lagos or another city), especially a rentable house, before buying a house in the UK?

Just a little case now, those Tax hungry people would seize it or something.

Why should he? Nigeria is an investment killer.
Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by Rubyventures: 3:47pm On Nov 25, 2019
tot:

That's because they are assuming he paid for the house fully.

In reality, he likely only owns about 10-20% of the house and the bank owns the rest untill he pays it off.

At least instead of paying rent he will be paying off the mortgage to the bank and increasing his ownership percentage.

2 Likes

Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by itsme01: 3:47pm On Nov 25, 2019
sonnie10:

the 10% i quoted isnt the intrest, its just the money you pay down.. the intrest monthly after moratorium yearly would still run into huge amount
Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by Bobrisky1: 3:48pm On Nov 25, 2019
[s]
itsme01:

the 10% i quoted isnt the intrest, its just the money you pay down.. the intrest monthly after moratorium yearly would still run into huge amount
[/s]
Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by birdmansoho: 3:49pm On Nov 25, 2019
bilulu:

Truth bro..... who no go no no. Not until you get to Canada you will know it’s more difficult to work and earn there compare to Nigeria

Where compared to Nigeria? Canada or the UK?
Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by Rubyventures: 3:52pm On Nov 25, 2019
salford1:

This still looks tiny. Atleast to those of us that live in North America grin.
This is what we call a townhouse.

It is also called a town house in the UK.

1 Like

Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by obailala(m): 3:52pm On Nov 25, 2019
maxiuc:
people prospering in Nigeria are usually people of questionable characters

Corrupts people

Nigeria system only Favours corrupt people
This mindset is one of the foremost reasons many people aren't prospering in Nigeria; a lot of people believe they must be involved in illegality before they can prosper. That's the reason we glorify thieves and fraudsters and look up to these characters as role models. Your mind controls your destiny!

2 Likes

Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by Fhemmmy: 3:56pm On Nov 25, 2019
I like the story and may God continue to bless the dude, but he needs to spell it out to people that
1. Not for everyone and not everyone will be able to buy a house within those period
2. He needs to let people know he has NOT paid for the house cash but bought on mortgage because if we go based on his savings history . . .
He has been in the UK for lets assume 2.5 years and that means 30 months and if he has been saving between 500 to 1000 Pounds monthly . . Lets pick an average of 800 Pounds monthly

That means 30 Months * 800 pounds = 24,000 Pounds and i am NOT sure if that will buy a house cash.

So while i love his zeal, people needs to always paint the proper picture because these are few of the reasons why parents and people back home think that people pick money on the street and thinking after three years he bought a house and they will start to value the poor dude on what isn't paid for yet.

3 Likes

Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by tot(f): 3:56pm On Nov 25, 2019
Rubyventures:

At least instead of paying rent he will be paying off the mortgage to the bank and increasing his ownership percentage.

Yes true, but my point was that some people must have assumed he bought the property cash down.
Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by Prettychichi21(f): 3:57pm On Nov 25, 2019
is he married?? cool
he's my spec grin
Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by Hwy95: 3:57pm On Nov 25, 2019
WHy people no get sennse
When you have a verifiable job with verifiable income and some money for a deposit, anyone can easily secure a mortgage to buy property in Oyinbo land. [/size][size=8pt][/size][size=8pt][size=8pt][/size]
The mortgage loan is a collaterized loan.
Miss a few monthly payments and you lose the collaterized proprty ( house, car, boat, furniture, etc ).
However owning a home in a developed country is a gateway to wealth
Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by Fhemmmy: 3:57pm On Nov 25, 2019
maxiuc:
people prospering in Nigeria are usually people of questionable characters

Corrupts people

Nigeria system only Favours corrupt people

That is a lie from the pit of hell . . . It is OK for you to say that "Some of the people" NOT all the people . . . There are lots of people i know in Nigeria that are doing extremely well and they are not of questionable character, as a matter of fact, there are lots of those doing well in western world that are of questionable character.

2 Likes

Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by 0monnak0da: 3:58pm On Nov 25, 2019
Simple logic if you buy a house on Mortgage, put a tenant in it and he pays rent which pays the mortgage you are investing

Anything else you are speculating
Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by Prettychichi21(f): 3:59pm On Nov 25, 2019
Fhemmmy:
I like the story and may God continue to bless the dude, but he needs to spell it out to people that
1. Not for everyone and not everyone will be able to buy a house within those period
2. He needs to let people know he has NOT paid for the house cash but bought on mortgage because if we go based on his savings history . . .
He has been in the UK for lets assume 2.5 years and that means 30 months and if he has been saving between 500 to 1000 Pounds monthly . . Lets pick an average of 800 Pounds monthly

That means 30 Months * 800 pounds = 24,000 Pounds and i am NOT sure if that will buy a house cash.

So while i love his zeal, people needs to always paint the proper picture because these are few of the reasons why parents and people back home think that people pick money on the street and thinking after three years he bought a house and they will start to value the poor dude on what isn't paid for yet.

sas u do math ontop anoda person money cool
hustle o
Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by Fhemmmy: 4:00pm On Nov 25, 2019
Hwy95:
WHy people no get sennse
When you have a verifiable job with verifiable income and some money for a deposit, anyone can easily secure a mortgage to buy property in Oyinbo land. [/size][size=8pt][/size][size=8pt][size=8pt][/size]
The mortgage loan is a collaterized loan.
Miss a few monthly payments and you lose the collaterized proprty ( house, car, boat, furniture, etc ).
However owning a home in a developed country is a gateway to wealth

Wonderfully and smartly said . . .Anyone that want to create wealth in the western world MUST be in real estate
Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by Fhemmmy: 4:03pm On Nov 25, 2019
Prettychichi21:

sas u do math ontop anoda person money cool
hustle o

It is called educating our people BUT if you are offended by the math, please forgive me

2 Likes

Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by obailala(m): 4:04pm On Nov 25, 2019
OGHENAOGIE:
a system that works well profit majority... stop twisting d matter...
femi4:
If you do statistics in school, you ll know that the percentage of people achieving success in a sane clime is higher when compares to those living in Nigeria
A system that works profits many, but whether a system works or not, many people can still prosper with the right mindset, discipline and hardwork. As bad as the Nigerian system is, there're still many who prosper. Conversely, as good as the UK system is, there're still many who haven't prospered so once again, it's an individual thing!

Unfortunately, many people limit themselves with this defeatist mindset that they cannot make it because the system is bad. Some believe they can never prosper except they leave the country or resort to criminality (with the belief that only those involved in illegality make it in Nigeria). At the end, you are a product of your mindset! You are a product of what you believe!

1 Like

Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by Rubyventures: 4:04pm On Nov 25, 2019
lakesider:
UK doc that have worked for 10years can't even afford a home..

Where are they working? Says who?

1 Like

Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by sonnie10: 4:06pm On Nov 25, 2019
cococandy:

None of this is true.

If you’re paying mortgage on a house, it’s yours. You can sell it and get bank the money you’ve already put into it. And the bank resells the house to someone else.

The hard part about getting a house is saving up the down payment. Which for a decent house with a minimum of four bedrooms and 2-3 bathrooms in good location is anywhere from 30-80 thousand dollars.

Once you have your down payment saved up and a good credit history, it’s easier than renting.

If I live close to those on mortgage? grin
That was funny
The question of rent and mortgage which is better is one that I had diligently considered in the past.
Mortgage wins especially when you have long term plans.
Say you rent a decent 3 bedroom for $1800. All that money will go to a landlord who obviously has the house by mortgage. You are only helping someone else to build equality.
But when you have a mortgage on the same 3 bedroom house of say $250k, you might be paying the same or just a little more depending on your initial down payment.

Here are some of the benefits;

Part of the monthly payment goes to Principal which builds your equity on the property.
You can rent out a spare room for almost $500 a month
You get tax credit at the end of the year
Property value would increase over time even after a recession if you are able to keep
Most importantly, home ownership creates stability to family life and ensures a decent, personalized lifestyle.

5 Likes

Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by googi: 4:08pm On Nov 25, 2019
Thank God there are enough Nigerians here that know enough about these places abroad that are still strange to people at home.

It is wicked to come on line to spread misinformation so that others can break their neck getting out.

2 Likes

Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by cococandy(f): 4:08pm On Nov 25, 2019
Of course mortgage definitely wins renting.
sonnie10:

The question of rent and mortgage which is better is one that I had diligently considered in past.
Mortgage wins especially when you have long term plans.
Say for you rent a decent 3 bedroom for $1800. All that money will go to a landlord who obviously has the house by mortgage. You are only helping someone else to build equality.
But when you have a mortgage on the same 3 bedroom house of say $250k, you might be paying the same or just a little more depending on your initial down payment.

Here are some of the benefits;

Part of the monthly payment goes to Principal which builds your equity on the property.
You can rent out a spare room for almost $500 a month
You get tax credit at the end of the year
Property value would increase over time even after a recession if you are able to keep
Most importantly, home ownership creates stability to family life and ensures a decent, personalized lifestyle.

1 Like

Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by SYLVESTER777: 4:10pm On Nov 25, 2019
sLentlover7778:
2020 my year of Canada grin grin grin.. May it come through by God"s grace.Check here:https://healthgood.com.ng/ricb Thank me later
Re: Dr. Harvey Olufunm Buys House 3 Years After Migrating To UK - See How He Did It! by birdmansoho: 4:13pm On Nov 25, 2019
grandstar:

He bought it through a mortgage. The money he was making monthly was towards a downpayment. My younger brother too wants to buy a house and he's saving up.

I doubt this house is in London. House prices there are crazy. He will only be able to buy a flat there and it won't be anything bigger than a 2bed if he's even fortunate.

You’re well informed. A house this size in London should be around £500k which will put it mortgage down payment at £50k. I live in London and my mortgage of 2bed apartment is is £350k and just about same price of this house. But just a flat in shared building.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

When The Architect Has Phd In Space Management (photo) / What Is The Weirdest Rule A Landlady/Landlord Has Ever Given You? / What Is Happening To My Decking?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.