Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,823 members, 7,898,969 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 July 2024 at 12:00 AM

Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders (1917 Views)

Ojukwu Being Welcomed At A Village Hospital By Igbo Ladies / Jonathan Meets Igbo Leaders & Elders In Lagos (photos) / Murtala Foundation Offers Buhari Fresh Opportunity To Debate With Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by jason12345: 1:59am On Nov 22, 2010
From CHIDI NNADI, Enugu
Monday, November 22, 2010

Photo: Sun News publishing
More Stories on This Section
The quest of the Igbo to ascend the presidency seat in 2015 brightened yesterday as facts emerged that the tribe may have extracted a commitment from President Goodluck Jonathan to handover power to them in 2015.
This much was revealed at a South-east Town Hall meeting held at the Nike Lake Hotel by prominent Igbo sons and daughters. The meeting aimed at drumming support for President Jonathan ahesd of the 2011 polls.

The meeting chaired by Justice Eze Ozobu (rtd), a former president-general of Ohaneze Ndigbo, saw Professor Anya O. Anya spilling the bean when he said he had evidence of the Igbo leaders meeting with the President, insisting that he would not be that foolish not to have seen what would be coming to Ndigbo in details before joining in the support for Jonathan in 2011.

Anya said those who knew him in the last 73 years knew that he would not come to stand in a podium to drum support for any politician if not for what was on the table, saying that he had come out and times had changed.
He pointed out that the situation in the country was not normal, saying that it was important that the Igbo began to think strategically and respond tactically now that the country was at a defining moment.

Anya noted that five years ago nobody would have believed that Jonathan would be President neither woud anyone from South-south zone, urged Ndigbo to support him in 2011 as that was the easiest way for the Igbo to clinch the presidency in 2015. The professor pointed out that Jonathan had been sworn in once as president and would only be sworn in again in 2011 according to the Constitution.

He, therefore, disclosed that they had evidence of their discussion with Jonathan on the 2011 Igbo presidency project, but said that “it was only a foolish family that discussed the secret of the family meeting in a public place.”
Anya said the South/North rotation of the presidency had long died in 1914, saying rotation among the six geo-political zones of the country is more appropriate.

In a communiqué issued at the end of the meeting, the Igbo, comprising political, social, opinion leaders, activists and other citizens of the South-east said: “The Igbo nation believes in, have worked for and shall always support all peoples, leaders and forces that promote the ideals of our nation as a country that offers security; political, economic and social justice to all its citizens and constituent units.

“We urge our leaders and polity to pursue peace and unity, embrace faith and progress through sustained principles and policies – of power and practices – that advance justice; and that seek to specifically redress past and present imbalance in our national affairs; to ensure fair representation and access to national power of all groups in Nigeria .
“We particularly welcome all proposals in trend and under discussion to specifically address the place and future of the Igbo in national politics in 2011 and beyond.

“However, the town hall believes that the only lasting recipe to tame the struggle for power in Nigeria and make our politics more gentle; would be a constitutional provision that guarantees the rotation of power between the zones of Nigeria. In fact, the need to rotate power in Nigeria is now a settled issue; but the implementation remains problematic, hence the current balance.

“We believe that rotation of power should be conducted on the basis of existing geo-political zones; and not on the pre-1914 North-South divide. Furthermore, the principle of rotation of power should be binding on all political parties as a reflection of the unique history, needs and imperatives of the Nigerian federation. “Henceforth, rotation of power should be designed to immediately accommodate the zone that has not exercised the power of the presidency and then, it should next continue to those that have exercised such powers for the least periods of the time in the past.

“This means that the South-South should be supported for the presidency in 2011, and that South-East should follow next. This is the position of most of our leaderships, Ohaneze Ndigbo, as the apex Igbo socio-cultural organization, and most Igbo.”

Other prominent Igbo leaders at the meeting included former Foreign Affairs Minister, Chief Ojo Maduekwe; former Aviation Minister, Chief Mbazulike Amaechi; for PDP guber candidate in Abia, Chief Onyema Ugochukwu; former Information Minister, Chief Nnia John Nwodo; former FCT Minister, Chief Chuka Odum; former NMA MD, Chief Ferdinand Agu; Prof Sam Ukpabi, Chief Tony Emekam, Chief Ugochukwu Agballa, Senator Emma Anosike, among many others.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/nov/22/national-22-11-2010-003.htm
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by HighChief4(m): 3:01am On Nov 22, 2010
Nice one
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by jason12345: 3:06am On Nov 22, 2010
High_Chief:

Nice one

no problem. smiley

i personally think the south should unite and rule for some years since we are the so called progressive. after SS, i am expecting Ndigbo wink
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by HighChief4(m): 3:10am On Nov 22, 2010
jason12345:

no problem. smiley

i personally think the south should unite and rule for some years since we are the so called progressive. after SS, i am expecting Ndigbo wink

Thats what we are working towards to, as 4 d bolded I really hope you mean that
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by jason12345: 3:19am On Nov 22, 2010
High_Chief:

Thats what we are working towards to, as 4 d bolded I really hope you mean that

why not undecided. i have not seen an igbo man as president in my life! i want to see what he/she can do for the country. we cannot continue to suppress an ethnic group politically because of a war that happen 40 yrs back undecided . it does not make sense, that is, if we are one country!!!!! but i pray he would be a credible man with charisma and fairness (eg utomi or duke smiley)
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by ChinenyeN(m): 3:40am On Nov 22, 2010
jason12345:

The quest of the Igbo to ascend the presidency seat in 2015 brightened yesterday as facts emerged that the tribe may have extracted a commitment from President Goodluck Jonathan to handover power to them in 2015.
[. . .]
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/nov/22/national-22-11-2010-003.htm
undecided
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by jason12345: 3:48am On Nov 22, 2010
ChinenyeN:

undecided

Why undecided?
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by igbobuigbo: 3:48am On Nov 22, 2010
jason12345:

why not undecided. i have not seen an igbo man as president in my life! i want to see what he/she can do for the country. we cannot continue to suppress an ethnic group politically because of a war that happen 40 yrs back undecided . it does not make sense, that is, if we are one country!!!!! but i pray he would be a credible man with charisma and fairness (eg utomi or duke  smiley)

Both Utomi and Duke are not from the SE. Worse still, Unlike Utomi, Duke is not an Igbo man. So if you say after SS comes SE, why do you mention people not from SE?
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by ChinenyeN(m): 3:50am On Nov 22, 2010
jason12345:

Why undecided?
I'm undecided as to whether or not I should just outrightly give up on these people and their political ambition. They've already crossed the point of no return, so. .
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by jason12345: 3:53am On Nov 22, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Both Utomi and Duke are not from the SE. Worse still, Unlike Utomi, Duke is not an Igbo man. So if you say after SS comes SE, why do you mention people not from SE?

sorry but i have not noticed any SE governor that has impressed his people undecided. even the amechi guy, i have not notice something excellent from him. btw, why should you care if duke and utomi are not igbo?? i thought these groups are different dialect to the igbo (eg ijebu and awori)? anyway, can you give me some igbo politician or people that has developed and contributed to the well-begin of the people so that i can research on them?
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by Omenani(m): 3:54am On Nov 22, 2010
I support this motion. cheesy
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by jason12345: 3:56am On Nov 22, 2010
ChinenyeN:

I'm undecided as to whether or not I should just outrightly give up on these people and their political ambition. They've already crossed the point of no return, so. .

why did you say so? is it because of zoning? i think the pro-GJ people have a valid point. no northern president would zone it to SE 2011 because he would be tempted to extend his stay on the seat beyond that yr.
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by igbobuigbo: 3:58am On Nov 22, 2010
jason12345:

sorry but i have not noticed any SE governor that has impressed his people undecided. even the amechi guy, i have not notice something excellent from him. btw, why should you care if duke and utomi are not igbo?? i thought these groups are different dialect to the igbo (eg ijebu and awori)? anyway, can you give me some igbo politician or people that has developed and contributed to the well-begin of the people so that i can research on them?

So if Jonathan is SS, you want another SS (Utomi/Duke) to lead after him? Are you saying there is no capable SE person to lead Nigeria?

Duke is not an Igbo. Efiks, where Duke belongs, are not Igbos.
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by ChinenyeN(m): 4:05am On Nov 22, 2010
jason12345:

why did you say so? is it because of zoning? i think the pro-GJ people have a valid point. no northern president would zone it to SE 2011 because he would be tempted to extend his stay on the seat beyond that yr.
My disappointment has little to nothing to do with GJ. I've got no problem with him, other than that I feel he has yet to thoroughly put on his big-boy pants. My disappointment is instead with Ohanaeze's political hand-dipping, first and foremost, and the reoccurring reasoning behind campaigning for supporting Jonathan.
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by jason12345: 4:07am On Nov 22, 2010
igbobuigbo:

So if Jonathan is SS, you want another SS (Utomi/Duke) to lead after him? Are you saying there is no capable SE person to lead Nigeria?

Duke is not an Igbo. Efiks, where Duke belongs, are not Igbos.

i never said such! pls provide some names of possible candidates
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by jason12345: 4:09am On Nov 22, 2010
ChinenyeN:

My disappointment has little to nothing to do with GJ. I've got no problem with him, other than that I feel he has yet to thoroughly put on his big-boy pants. My disappointment is instead with Ohanaeze's political hand-dipping, first and foremost, and the reoccurring reasoning behind campaigning for supporting Jonathan.

there is nothing you can do now other than to pray for them grin wink
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by igbobuigbo: 4:15am On Nov 22, 2010
jason12345:

i never said such! pls provide some names of possible candidates

Prof Barth Nnaji
Enugu state governor
Oby Ezekwesili
Pius Anyim
Ken Nnamani
Peter Obi of Anambra State
Emeka Anyaoku
Many more capable hands I do not remember their names now

But mentioning names is by the way; Jonathan was not known to anyone until Alameyesiegha selected him as his deputy governor.
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by jason12345: 4:16am On Nov 22, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Prof Barth Nnaji
Enugu state governor
Oby Ezekwesili
Pius Anyim
Ken Nnamani
Peter Obi of Anambra State
Emeka Anyaoku
Many more capable hands I do not remember their names now

But mentioning names is by the way; Jonathan was not known to anyone until Alameyesiegha selected him as his deputy governor.

true, thats why he is called GOODLUCK! grin wink

i hope you don't mind to give me some of their acheivements
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by igbobuigbo: 4:18am On Nov 22, 2010
jason12345:

true, thats why he is called GOODLUCK! grin wink

i hope you don't mind to give me some of their acheivements

What are the achievements of Goodluck? Google their names and see what you get.
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by ChinenyeN(m): 4:20am On Nov 22, 2010
jason12345:

there is nothing you can do now other than to pray for them grin wink
I realize that, and quite frankly, I'm not even sure I care to do such. Instead I'll just watch to see where all of this runs us into, while working towards my own objective.
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by jason12345: 4:21am On Nov 22, 2010
igbobuigbo:

What are the achievements of Goodluck? Google their names and see what you get.

that is why he has NEVER OWN AN ELECTION. HE IS GOODLUCK JONATHAN grin. I will google them. thanks
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by jason12345: 4:22am On Nov 22, 2010
ChinenyeN:

I realize that, and quite frankly, I'm not even sure I care to do such. Instead I'll just watch to see where all of this runs us into, while working towards my own objective.
grin grin grin and what are your objectives if you don't mind me asking?
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by igbobuigbo: 4:26am On Nov 22, 2010
Jason:

Fasola was completely unknown until selected by Tinubu
Likewise, the present Igbo man who is a commissioner in Lagos govt and who is credited to the fiscal achievements of Fasola can be a president. I forgot his name now.
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by jason12345: 4:30am On Nov 22, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Jason:

Fasola was completely unknown until selected by Tinubu
Likewise, the present Igbo man who is a commissioner in Lagos govt and who is credited to the fiscal achievements of Fasola can be a president. I forgot his name now.

a state election is different from a presidential election especially in nigeria were it is multi-ethnic. you know why they are different, don't you?
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by igbobuigbo: 4:35am On Nov 22, 2010
jason12345:

a state election is different from a presidential election especially in nigeria were it is multi-ethnic. why now why they are different, don't you?

Shagari the first civilian president of Nigeria was unknown; he was a primary school teacher.
Now I remember the name of the Igbo commissioner in Lagos state: Ben Akabueze. You asked for capable Igbos from the SE and I am naming some for you. You can google him also
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by ChinenyeN(m): 4:37am On Nov 22, 2010
jason12345:

grin grin grin and what are your objectives if you don't mind me asking?
To implement some of my already laid out socio-economic and socio-cultural plans, for my region. Problem is that I don't have the resources with which to begin implementing those plans. So, I'm looking at a span of 2+ years before real work can begin, because of lack of resources, which I'm unhappy about, but at least my plans are already set, and so, I can use this time to make any real and necessary adjustments to them.
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by Onlytruth(m): 4:40am On Nov 22, 2010
ChinenyeN:

To implement some of my already laid out socio-economic and socio-cultural plans, for my region. Problem is that I don't have the resources with which to begin implementing those plans. So, I'm looking at a span of 2+ years before real work can begin, because of lack of resources, which I'm unhappy about, but at least my plans are already set, and so, I can use this time to make any real and necessary adjustments to them.

You mean Ngwaland?
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by jason12345: 4:40am On Nov 22, 2010
ChinenyeN:

To implement some of my already laid out socio-economic and socio-cultural plans, for my particular region. Problem is that I don't have the resources with which to begin implementing those plans. So, I'm looking at a span of 2+ years before real work can begin, because of lack of resources, which I'm unhappy about, but at least my plans are already set, and so, I can use this time to make any real and necessary adjustments to them.

i have a similar plan but it is for nigeria (especially the south) smiley

igbobuigbo:

Shagari the first civilian president of Nigeria was unknown; he was a primary school teacher.
Now I remember the name of the Igbo commissioner in Lagos state: Ben Akabueze. You asked for capable Igbos from the SE and I am naming some for you. You can google him also

i certainly would. thanks for the info wink
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by ChinenyeN(m): 4:41am On Nov 22, 2010
Onlytruth:

You mean Ngwaland?
Actually, I mean Ngwa and Igbo, but naturally, Ngwa first and foremost and Igbo, a distant second.

jason12345:

i have a similar plan but it is for nigeria (especially the south) smiley
Maybe there may be some things that you and I could collaborate on, in the future. In that case then, I look forward to working with you, if we ever come across such a chance/need.
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by Onlytruth(m): 4:45am On Nov 22, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Actually, I mean Ngwa and Igbo, but naturally, Ngwa first and foremost. Igbo secondary.

You see why you are NOT qualified to debate Igbo issues? YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO SEE PAST NGWALAND.

You forget that Ngwaland is INSIDE Igboland.
Aba is even owned to great extents by my Nnewi people. So what the fkc are you even talking about?

If I can secure Igboland, I have secured Ngwaland too, can't you see that?
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by jason12345: 4:54am On Nov 22, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Actually, I mean Ngwa and Igbo, but naturally, Ngwa first and foremost and Igbo, a distant second.
Maybe there may be some things that you and I could collaborate on, in the future. In that case then, I look forward to working with you, if we ever come across such a chance/need.

no problem bro wink. i would definitely come get your contact when i am about starting. about 2yrs from now. hope you will still be on NL wink. thank though, you are a very honourable person and i would not mind to work with you.
Re: Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders by aljharem(m): 4:58am On Nov 22, 2010
jason12345:

no problem bro wink. i would definitely come get your contact when i am about starting. about 2yrs from now. hope you will still be on NL wink. thank though, you are a very honourable person and i would not mind to work with you.

and jason, me and you can meet up and talk on how to stop the north from getting too hot and been a desert

it scares me angry angry angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test By Reuben Abati / Cote D'ivoire Crisis: Returnees Flood Osun Communities / What Is Our Founding Fathers Dream?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.