Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,478 members, 7,911,131 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 04:44 AM

Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? (10599 Views)

Work With Us As Part Time Or Full Time Team Member / Banker Shares A Story Of How Him Help A Security Guard To A Higher Position / 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Nigerfine3: 10:52am On Dec 02, 2019
You are more wicked than nigerian politicians if you are asking us before you can promote a good worker. .....DUMBASS
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by sunkoye: 10:53am On Dec 02, 2019
The man is destined to leave you anyways. God pushed him to you with one job description...and he did it well by giving you a soft landing. If you block him now....God that pushed you to him now will make a way for him with or without you.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Brownhacks(m): 10:58am On Dec 02, 2019
AlexDeedat:
Please I want you to judge me but, while you do that, please be sincere. I will make it brief. Please dont mind the typo errors or any errors as we have many English teachers on board.

It all started about 3moths now, I works with an FMCG Multinational Company as a Field Sales Manager and I was newly transferred to one of the northern state from Lagos.

I arrived this state as a Johny Just Come (JJC) and I can barely speak ordinary 'Wa kin pa o' (come make I kill You), I am a Yoruba Man.
I met an existing Sales team which I inherited from the previous manager.
One of the Sales people is Mr X. Oh my God! This guy is just so exceptionally intelligent, smart, hardworking, dexterous and has the qualities to be a great Manager. He is still an Open Market Sales Rep despite the years he has put in the Business.

Mr X took me round the Territory, helped introduced me to existing distributors and we were able to recruited more. My line manager was so surprised that i was able to fit into the new environment easily and met 72% of my target for the first month within that shortest time. This particular Mr X has so much channels he can singlehandedly do 50% of the entire secondary sales while the remaining sales rep struggled with the rest.

Now this where I'll need your advise. There is a new vacant slots for the post of TSM, three (3)northern states and one(1) south eastern state. I have opportunity to sloth Mr X's CV so he can be called for exams and possibly interviews. I am more than sure this guy will get the job with my help and his effort.

The problem is "I CAN'T LET MR X GO NOW" I decided to work out ridiculous incentives for him to increase his pay and he was so happy about it this month. He received 2x of what he always received monthly for the last few years...but yet, my conscience wont let me rest till now as it is about 48 hours to the close of submission for CVs.

I need this guy on board so badly atleast for like 4 to 5 months when I'll find my feet on this ground..I have looked around the remaining sales team atleast for a replacement but the rest are just.......This environment still looks like I am being pushed here to suffer..If you have been to core north, you will understand.

**I know God pushed him to me and I am very grateful. I'm I being wivked or self centered by holding on from sending his CV?

**I'm I going to be so stupid for allowing him Go now.

Pls advise me on what to do..

Its very simple help him get the position he even give you more glues about how to go about your new place,anywhere he is.phone call and whatsapp, u guys will discuss everything daily self

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by farady(m): 11:16am On Dec 02, 2019
Please, by all means recommend him. You may just be arranging your own stepping stone, cause God could use him to your advantage tomorrow or elsewhere. Mr. X seems to be a top flyer, so he may eventually get something much more bigger with another FCMG and he needs to fill in a top spot, then he gives you a call to come take it.

1 Like

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by showbiz4all27(m): 11:54am On Dec 02, 2019
Please do all you can to uplift him to the managerial position, He'll forever be grateful to you and God will reward you for that too. You'll have inner peace you let him grow. I don't know Mr. X but please help him and I can tell you he'll still be of assistance to you even while he is not in your jurisdiction any longer. Peace.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by PROPAGANDIST(m): 12:09pm On Dec 02, 2019
I understand your point Mr. I've been down this road before. It however is expedient to note that when this guy is promoted, the rest of the team will want to double their effort so as to be noticed and possibly be recommended in the future. It's a big win for you. Once people know that there's growth in their place of work, they will be willing to give their all and to increase productivity. Besides it might just affect your present MTD but in the long run your YTD will be boosted. It's your call to make

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by AntiWailer: 12:16pm On Dec 02, 2019
Allow him grow.

The thought of your former boy as a big boy can open opportunities.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by ImaIma1(f): 12:31pm On Dec 02, 2019
AlexDeedat:
Please I want you to judge me but, while you do that, please be sincere. I will make it brief. Please dont mind the typo errors or any errors as we have many English teachers on board.

It all started about 3moths now, I works with an FMCG Multinational Company as a Field Sales Manager and I was newly transferred to one of the northern state from Lagos.

I arrived this state as a Johny Just Come (JJC) and I can barely speak ordinary 'Wa kin pa o' (come make I kill You), I am a Yoruba Man.
One of the Sales people is Mr X. Oh my God! This guy is just so exceptionally intelligent, smart, hardworking, dexterous and has the qualities to be a great Manager. He is still an Open Market Sales Rep despite the years he has put in the Business.

Mr X took me round the Territory, helped introduced me to existing distributors and we were able to recruited more. My line manager was so surprised that i was able to fit into the new environment easily and met 72% of my target for the first month within that shortest time. This particular Mr X has so much channels he can singlehandedly do 50% of the entire secondary sales while the remaining sales rep struggled with the rest.

Now this where I'll need your advise. There is a new vacant slots for the post of TSM, three (3)northern states and one(1) south eastern state. I have opportunity to sloth Mr X's CV so he can be called for exams and possibly interviews. I am more than sure this guy will get the job with my help and his effort.

The problem is "I CAN'T LET MR X GO NOW" I decided to work out ridiculous incentives for him to increase his pay and he was so happy about it this month. He received 2x of what he always received monthly for the last few years...but yet, my conscience wont let me rest till now as it is about 48 hours to the close of submission for CVs.

I need this guy on board so badly atleast for like 4 to 5 months when I'll find my feet on this ground..I have looked around the remaining sales team atleast for a replacement but the rest are just.......This environment still looks like I am being pushed here to suffer..If you have been to core north, you will understand.

**I know God pushed him to me and I am very grateful. I'm I being wivked or self centered by holding on from sending his CV?

God probably put you in the position to help him. God that made you meet someone like him to help you can also make you get someone else. But please don't be selfish and refuse to push him up because you need him. Don't stand in the way of his progress.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by dracosith(m): 12:33pm On Dec 02, 2019
AlexDeedat:
Dont be too emotional about this..
That's Prejudice on my part. I am not perfect and that's why I am seeking for advise. I still have time to make the right decision..

I understand you did not understand my dilemma..

It’s a touch decision man, but you never know what awaits you if you let him go. Either way, you will put yourself in self touture if you don’t let him go.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Dec 02, 2019
Fresh out of NYSC and I had to lead a small team in a job role that I had NO idea about. Tossed in the sea to swim with the sharks or get eaten by them. 90 days and I was leading that team fearlessly even though I was the last to join the team and the least knowledgeable at the time we started.

Let him go. You will be fine. Let him too have a shot at being fine. Manufacturing is brutal I know but you will survive and meet your targets. I repeat let that man go
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Dec 02, 2019
My brother, you are being self centered if you don't lend your support for this your colleague to move to another department.
I love that you acknowledged the role he has played in your growth.
Please let him go and give him all the support he needs.
If he leaves, room will be made for another person to grow, and that person could be you..
It would be grossly unfair to deprive your kind colleague of what is due him.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by SolarHub(m): 1:01pm On Dec 02, 2019
Ok

Check my signature now
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Detruth55: 1:10pm On Dec 02, 2019
I can understand your dilemma perfectly especially the terrain angle to it.
My take is this, you need him for stability a little more time. So call him now, put all the cards on the table, let him know how its possible for you to stand on his way yet he wont know. Make a deal with him, based on experience, I know such people are natural workaholic. Cut a deal with him to assist you, even when promoted, there is a way he can still help you meet your target for a short while.
All the best!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Ajibade123(m): 2:21pm On Dec 02, 2019
you thinks Mr X is the best man in your team??...he isn't let him go and get closer to other members of the team you will see that there are other workers far better than him

see 10 secret to make your life better
https://explicitsuccess.com/how-to-make-your-life-better/
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by profstar(m): 2:48pm On Dec 02, 2019
I will say, it is not your decision to make.

Seat him down, put the 2 options before him, if he is as smart as you said he is, he will definitely stay because nothing is as good as having a boss who has the 3 characteristics which you seems to show:
1. Willingness to help his career
2. Monetary reward for this output
3. General appreciation

That does not mean he will not leave, it only means that if he agrees to stay, when the time comes for him to move on, you have to put all weight of connections behind him.

Scratch my back I scratch yours. That's if he decides to stay back
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by olaswim: 2:50pm On Dec 02, 2019
My fellas on this forum, I wonder why you guys wasting your data respond to this unreasonable person post.... He is a greedy fellow who careless about others advancement in life.....He has the opportunity to help his colleague to step up in his career and you are contemplating simply of his selfish gain and interest....He believes that the guy in question will become a better person thereafter than him, that's the mentality of some of my brothers which is terrify and stupid in nature....My submission is simple, if you like submit his CV and if you like don't okay....Remember God is not foolish for brought you guys together.... You better do the right thing now before you regret it for the rest of your life..

1 Like

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by seyenko(m): 5:58pm On Dec 02, 2019
Iron sharpeneth Iron - do what is right

AlexDeedat:

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Ndipe(m): 7:33pm On Dec 02, 2019
He helped you when you needed help. Reciprocate this gesture as well by helping him. Dont be selfish.

1 Like

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Slynation(m): 9:04pm On Dec 02, 2019
Offpoint:

Oh please, that guy's annoying...

I don't dislike cuz of the political party he affiliate himself with, I dislike him cuz COMMENTING 100 times on 1 thread and commenting on every thread... it's annoying as cow prick in soup.
Lol.... grin now i get grin
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by oxiide22(m): 10:25pm On Dec 03, 2019
Offpoint:
This annoying prick BBQ is back again, couple of days I didn't see IT on nairaland I thought IT was hit by a bus while delivering its dead beef to an innocent customer...

I honestly don't know why bus drivers are too careful these days.

op! on your predicament, I don't like typing epistle. just use your head.

Help Him get a better job, when they fired you were you are... Mr X will help you get a job at were you recommended him. it's a simple stuff.

Too much sense go finally kill me one day
what if Mr x did what Nigerians are known for?.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ericsson Moves To Sack Nigerian Employees, Hire Indians As Replacement / The Prostitution In The Nigerian Banking Sector / What's The Most Polite Way To Ask For The Payment Of Your Salary?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.