Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,505 members, 7,898,075 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 July 2024 at 07:24 AM

The Apathy Of Nigerian Youths Towards Entrepreneurship - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Apathy Of Nigerian Youths Towards Entrepreneurship (378 Views)

Bears Emerge As Index Drops By 0.3% Amid Investors’ Apathy / Meet Fewa Otedola, The Only Son Of Nigerian Billionaire Femi Otedola!! / Apply For Tony Elumelu Foundation Entrepreneurship Programme 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Apathy Of Nigerian Youths Towards Entrepreneurship by MOHRUQ: 7:51am On Dec 06, 2019
I've been trying to write on this topic for long, but due to time constraints as a result of my work schedule, I have to to push everything to this time. Though, this is my personal opinion, but I believe so many people share same sentiment with me when it comes to the attitude of our youth twards entrepreneurship.

It is everyone's knowledge that Nigeria as a country is going through hard times as a result of its fledgling economy associated with bad leadership laced with massive corruption. Nigeria's population is increasing exponentially with diminishing infrastructural development and therefore plunging the country's future generation into perpetual poverty. It is evident that the country's institutions continue to churn out large number of graduates without hope of being gainfully employed.

The gospel truth is that, there are no jobs because government can't create any now especially with the current state of its mono-economy. Government's ability to create job has been incapacitated by infrastructural decay caused by massuve economic downturn. So, what is the solution? The answer is private sector development. Yeah, private sector job creation is the only solution to the current job seeking quagmire our youths have found themeselves. Therefore, tailoring our youths' minds towards entrepreneurship is the only way forward.

With the current entrepreneurial bug hitting the global economic landscape, it is high time our youths levarage on this opportunity with the help of internet technology to create meaningful jobs for themeselves. Surely, we'll affirm that some few serious Nigerian youths with great foresight have taken to this path already. The've leveraged on the ICT technology to create various start-ups that are currently making waves in the country. Howeve, million orhers are busy roaming about the street looking for government jobs. Others are wasting their time on frivolities like watching meaningless tv programmes, social media activities and internet scams. A recent case was the number of our youths engaged in the online voting of the BB Naija housemates that left so much to be desired. It has indicated a total lack of seriousness from our jobless youths who prefer time wasters to hard work. Instead of engaging on meaningful ventures that will better their lives, they were all wasting their precious times on frivolities.

What we expected to be hearing about our youths is competition on launching start-ups, raising funds or exits. We want to hear about innovations, discoveries and other technological advancements. However, I will give kudos to many successful Nigerian youths who hava caved a niche for themselves in various fields of entrepreneurship. For instance, most successful fintech companies are driven by these impressive groups of our youths. Recently, some young entrepreneurs launched an intellectual social networking site site, www.proclapp.com to enable African intellectuals share knowledgeable contents throug questions and answers, articles and discussions and sharing of research papers and that's very impressive. The platforms' "coming soon" website has just been relsased while the apps will be coming out before the year runs out.

These are the kinds of achievements we expected from Nigerian youths and not stories on scams, ponzi activities, hate speech and fake news peddling. I just hope that our youths learn very fast and divert their minds towards beneficial ventures to save their future. The truth is that, your destinies are in your hands, be wise.

(1) (Reply)

5 Trends That Will Reshape Customer Service Over The Next 5 Years / closed / Open A Functional Paypal Account That Can Withdraw Your Money In Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.