Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,819 members, 7,879,552 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 09:24 PM

2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu (2909 Views)

Deji Adeyanju: Buhari Is An Animal, I'm Not Afraid Of Him / No N3.2bn Severance Pay For Jonathan, Others Till 2016 - PUNCH / Anenih Seeks Automatic Ticket For Jonathan & Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by Nobody: 12:15am On Nov 26, 2010
A former chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, on Thursday said he was not afraid of running against President Goodluck Jonathan, former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar or other contenders in the 2011 presidential election.

Ribadu, who spoke at the 83rd birthday anniversary of a foremost journalist, Alhaji Alade Odunewu, at the Yoruba Tennis Club in Lagos, said those aspiring to the presidency were not better than him.

Speaking on the theme, ‘The Nigeria quagmire: the way forward,’ he lamented that corruption, greed, hypocrisy and dishonesty had continued to dog Nigeria’s socio-economic and political development. He stressed that until there was a radical departure from outdated ways, progress would continue to elude the country.

“There are no better political gladiators than I am. Go and check what I did for the country, you will agree that I want to join the race to cure the ills of the nation.

“I am not joining the race for selfish purpose but to contribute my quota towards the growth and development of our dear country. Nigeria is a great country and it requires honest people to make it realise its potential for the good of all,” he said.

Ribadu, who said he would make a formal declaration in the next two weeks in Abuja, regretted that the wealth of the nation remained in the hands of few people who were not willing to allow others to make progress.

He said, “Corruption is the cankerworm that has eaten deep into the moral fabric of the nation. It has affected every segment of the country’s life.

“Corruption is the reason we cannot get true democracy. The earlier this monster is solved the better for all Nigerians. It is not uncommon to see government officials brandishing wealth with such reckless abandon. People who are supposed to serve the people are busy buying exotic cars; building choice houses and living outlandish lifestyle at the expense of the people who voted them in.

“This is not good for the country and the system has to change for the people to have a new lease of life. Nigerians are not demanding for much: they need good roads, electricity, pipe-borne water, a functional health care system, good education and those things that make life worth living. That is all.”

Ribadu said Nigeria had the potential to be a leading force in the comity of nations if the right things were done. He recalled that as EFCC chairman, he secured 300 convictions and recovered more than N5bn stolen funds.

He also extolled the contributions of Nigerian journalists to the growth of democracy in the country and urged them not to relent in their efforts.

“The media has a great role to play in the country’s drive to get true democracy. I urge the men of the noble profession to rise to the occasion so that usurpers will not seize the country from Nigerians,” he said.

Ribadu also commended Odunewu for contributing immensely to the growth of the journalism profession. He recalled that during Odunewu’s time at the defunct Daily Times, his analytical comments were reference points for government officials.

Ribadu, who said he did not believe in ‘do-or-die politics,’ explained that he joined the presidential race to contribute his quota to the development of the country. He said he believed that through this, he could bring relief to Nigerian youths and other less-privileged persons.

He also urged Nigerian youths to vote wisely in the 2011 elections and not sacrifice their rights for gratification. He decried the situation where the youths and other less-privileged Nigerians were suffering in the midst of plenty.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201011261194746
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by sayso: 12:34pm On Nov 26, 2010
all of a sudden,this man is now so important to this country.NR you do not have the quality to rule this country.chasing some and leaving some criminals is definitely not the quality of a good Nigerian leader.All we have now are just not good enough including you.
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by ladi02(m): 12:43pm On Nov 26, 2010
sayso:

all of a sudden,this man is now so important to this country.NR you do not have the quality to rule this country.chasing some and leaving some criminals is definitely not the quality of a good Nigerian leader.All we have now are just not good enough including you.

pls get your facts right, who are the some he left, go and check EFCC records, most of the past governors have a case to handle, unfortunately the new chairman is all talk, so nothing will be done.

can you kindly suggest who you would prefer with a better track record
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by strangest(m): 1:30pm On Nov 26, 2010
Ribadu accused of financial impropriety

http://www.nigerianewspapersonline.net/forfeited-property-efcc-report-indicts-ribadu

HOPE HE DONT END UP RULING NAIJA LIKE THAT
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by Ayoobscom(m): 1:36pm On Nov 26, 2010
It takes a strict personality like Ribadu to make Nigeria beter, none of this PDPfied strangers can,
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by Blazay(m): 1:39pm On Nov 26, 2010
What a noisy hornbill.
This man needs to just sharrrap and focus on what he has to offer Nigeria.

He also urged Nigerian youths to vote wisely in the 2011 elections and not sacrifice their rights for gratification. He decried the situation where the youths and other less-privileged Nigerians were suffering in the midst of plenty.

Sorry, dude.
The Nigerian youths or otherwise, do not get to vote-in their choices.

Politics in Nigeria is 'selection by back-door concensus'. Scratch my back, I scratch your nyansh.
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by Ayanfe4me: 2:30pm On Nov 26, 2010
[size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt]Sincerely, There is no other person that could flush corruption out of Nigeria other than Ribadu at the moment but RIBADU do not have to be the president to do this JOB. I am sure that GEJ have better chances of winning the PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION come 2011. I will rather cast my vote to someone I'm sure that will flush out corruption out of Nigeria but what if he does not become the PRESIDENT? I think RIBADU should have an alliance with GEJ who should exit PDP (although he's indebted to PDP but we need a better Nigeria NOW!) for the good of all Nigerians, [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by juman(m): 3:20pm On Nov 26, 2010
Yes this is the right time for change.
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by vorosmartm(m): 3:31pm On Nov 26, 2010
ActiveMan:

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201011261194746
He recovered only N5bn and he is not ashamed, in a country here money stolen has run into billions of dollars, this is too pathetic
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by frgy1: 4:10pm On Nov 26, 2010
vorosmartm:

He recovered only N5bn and he is not ashamed, in a country here money stolen has run into billions of dollars, this is too pathetic
an who has recoverd even half of that?
to do such under an obasanjo/atiku lead admin is something to brag about.
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by Kenyata(m): 4:22pm On Nov 26, 2010
@Sayso,

God bless you for that comment! I'm glad we are in the same boat. Obasanjo used Ribadu to selectively punish his political enemies. He was just a stooge. No more, no less. I'm yet to find who I can entrust my future and that of my children with. Some people have the blueprint of how to govern this country progressively. Definitely, Ribadu is not one of them.
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by kenbee(f): 4:36pm On Nov 26, 2010
Thou i believe that it takes better criminal to know/catch one, & that Ribadu may be more experienced than GEJ, I think the most qualified still Remain Buhari. Neva 4get to respect the divine zoning arrangement. My vote is for Goodluck, the satan i know,
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by Donfinero(m): 6:05pm On Nov 26, 2010
This man (NR) should go and contest for the governorship of his state, which am not even sure he can win, as for presidency, he still has a very long way to go .
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by marvix(m): 6:32pm On Nov 26, 2010
Donfinero:

This man (NR) should go and contest for the governorship of his state, which am not even sure he can win, as for presidency, he still has a very long way to go .

GBAM!!!, Well spoken my friend, If Ribadu can win the governorship of his state or senatorial district this 2011 that would place him on a good pedestal to contest presidency by 2015.

He could quit his seat at senate or Govt house and run for presidency, at that time we should all be able to judge his performance from where he is coming, but to just jump at the presidency is the beginning of the failure we need to avoid as a nation
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by andyanders: 8:30pm On Nov 26, 2010
RIBADU IS NOT MATURED TO BE A LEADER. IT WILL TAKE HIM YEARS BECAUSE HIS ATTICIDENTS AS THE BOSS OF EFFCC DID NOT PLACE HIM AS A TRUTHFUL PERSON. HIS REFUSAL TO EVEN DECLARE HIS ASSETS AND ENDED UP TO BE USED BY PDP GOES TO SHOW THAT HIS PAST MUST HUNT HIM. HE PLAYED POLITICS INSTEAD OF CARRING HIS JOB AS A TRUE AND INDEPENDEDNT FELLOW. HE WENT AHEAD TO DANCE TO THE TONE OF OBJ AND PDP. LET HIM GO AND START FROM HIS LOCAL GOVERNMENT. HE IS NOT MATURED. HE PLAYS POLITICS  AS A ROCKIE.
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by Gbawe: 8:42pm On Nov 26, 2010
andyanders:

RIBADU IS NOT MATURED TO BE A LEADER

Its amazing we keep hearing and reading the above. Yet in all polls responded to by average Nigerians the "rookie" Ribadu has always come a respectable second to an incumbent President whiles seasoned Politicians like Atiku hardly got any vote !!! It seems many of us are out of tune with what Nigerians actually want.
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by SapeleGuy: 9:41pm On Nov 26, 2010
Ribadu has nothing to be afraid of. As they say a man who is already down need not fear any fall.
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by mystikal(m): 12:19am On Nov 27, 2010
He should declare already.

Any reasonable country should have a credible opposition.
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by Blazay(m): 1:41am On Nov 27, 2010
SapeleGuy:

Ribadu has nothing to be afraid of. As they say a man who is already down need not fear any fall.

grin

Gboza!
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by mrofficial(m): 2:12am On Nov 27, 2010
I'm not surprised at the anti-ribadus comments. They will always find fault. Nevertheless, Ribadu remains the best compared to the rest.

Buhari? "Another Yar'adua" Nope. | IBB? "ahh! ole!" Nope. | GEJ "hmm PDP? corruption moguls" Nope.

Let's flush out PDP before they flush us out. Some Nigerians are so daft. It's unbelievable.
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by Blazay(m): 3:37am On Nov 27, 2010
Yoruba for Ribadu.
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by mrofficial(m): 3:56am On Nov 27, 2010
^^ At least it is good to see the yorubas support someone from the north, not just that, he's also someone that will alleviate Nigeria from the corruption she has sunk into. And again not a PDP member. Unlike others, not looking at the right direction. For all they care, they don't want northerner. Raising silly excuses as facts.
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by Pharoh: 4:31am On Nov 27, 2010
Ribadu cannot win a presidential election in nigeria, he should go and start from the house of reps, commissioner or deputy governor's position.
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by fASHCEO(m): 8:18am On Nov 27, 2010
What do we want more as nation and who of all these aspirants can deliver that. We are known in the world for corruption not even for having unstable electricity, poor education, low standard of living et al.

For me, i want to see us eradicate corruption more than anything else because we are almost guaranteed of all others if this is solely solved.

The aspirant that can deliver this just one single cry of Nigerians is my choice.

Who do you guys think can?
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by 1025: 8:38am On Nov 27, 2010
I'm not surprised at the anti-ribadus comments. They will always find fault. Nevertheless, Ribadu remains the best compared to the rest.

Buhari? "Another Yar'adua" Nope. | IBB? "ahh! ole!" Nope. | GEJ "hmm PDP? corruption moguls" Nope.

Let's flush out PDP before they flush us out. Some Nigerians are so daft. It's unbelievable.

@mr.official,
if there is anyone daft here, i think you are the man.
if you are yet to understand that ribadu is a joker. he is a pdp or obasanjo's plan B might jonathan fails to make it in the primaries or might the northerners brings more preasure than he can carry, ribadu will be used as a soft landing spot.
ribdau is nothing but a product of nigerian police, a symbol of corruption.
if you are not daft, how can a man who did not change his immediate environment(the nigerian police) change nigeria as a whole.
if you talk abt pdp's corrupt practices, there will not be any form of complete information without ribadu.
ribadu once told nigerians that bode george was corrupt but what happened afterwards? ribadu in 2007 told nigerians that atiku is a criminal and he has been indicted, where has atiku been since then? ribadu once bragged that 31 governors will soon go down, how many went down and how many are still relevant in our society? iyabo obasanjo was on the run under ribadu but what happened? andy uba's money laundary in the usa was tagged civil case by ribadu.
mr.daft, how come siemens scandal, harliburton scandal and other societal scandals that happened under the nose of ribadu went unnoticed?
the cecilia ibrus of this nation all existed under ribadu, what happened? the highest level of embezzlement in the history of nigeria was between 1999 and 2007, what did ribadu do?
N300b ibadan-benin expressways contract - tony annenih, $16b eletricity contract - obasanjo, vincent ogbulafor's scandal was under ribadu, how come ribadu know nothing abt all these?
mr.daft, u were daft, u are daft and u will remain daft.
the problem with many nairalanders is that they get involved in topics where they have nothing to offer and as such will resort to insulting others. what points do u have to make in favour of ur ribadu? how can u exonorate ribadu from pdp's corruption when he acts his policeman role in excorting these corrupt men?
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by fASHCEO(m): 8:51am On Nov 27, 2010
1025:

@mr.official,
if there is anyone daft here, i think you are the man.
if you are yet to understand that ribadu is a joker. he is a pdp or obasanjo's plan B might jonathan fails to make it in the primaries or might the northerners brings more preasure than he can carry, ribadu will be used as a soft landing spot.
ribdau is nothing but a product of nigerian police, a symbol of corruption.
if you are not daft, how can a man who did not change his immediate environment(the nigerian police) change nigeria as a whole.
if you talk abt pdp's corrupt practices, there will not be any form of complete information without ribadu.
ribadu once told nigerians that bode george was corrupt but what happened afterwards? ribadu in 2007 told nigerians that atiku is a criminal and he has been indicted, where has atiku been since then? ribadu once bragged that 31 governors will soon go down, how many went down and how many are still relevant in our society? iyabo obasanjo was on the run under ribadu but what happened? andy uba's money laundary in the usa was tagged civil case by ribadu.
mr.daft, how come siemens scandal, harliburton scandal and other societal scandals that happened under the nose of ribadu went unnoticed?
the cecilia ibrus of this nation all existed under ribadu, what happened? the highest level of embezzlement in the history of nigeria was between 1999 and 2007, what did ribadu do?
N300b ibadan-benin expressways contract - tony annenih, $16b eletricity contract - obasanjo, vincent ogbulafor's scandal was under ribadu, how come ribadu know nothing abt all these?
mr.daft, u were daft, u are daft and u will remain daft.
the problem with many nairalanders is that they get involved in topics where they have nothing to offer and as such will resort to insulting others. what points do u have to make in favour of your ribadu? how can u exonorate ribadu from pdp's corruption when he acts his policeman role in excorting these corrupt men?

So Mr Intelligent, is GEJ any better? In what aspect of Administration has he ever been proven and exceptional. Will you rather prefer GeJ and his PDP corruption mogul run this country for another 4 years. Wasn't he vice to Alamesiya the then governor of Bayelsa state who disgraced this country in a foreign nation.

I know what i want and it is to see corruption go. Without doubt the only aspirant who has proven himself in this is Ribadu. Remember it is just what i want as a Nigerian.

What do you want?
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by rhymz(m): 9:28am On Nov 27, 2010
Ribadu reminds Me of the likes of Pat Utomi and co during the 2007 presidential election, it takes more than good intention and belief in yourself to win it. You can't isolate yourself from corrupting elements coz after all said and done, the ball still lands on their court. Nation wide political acceptance is a big factor, war chest and political party will determine how penetrating your porpularity will go. All the noise about him being the best is hokum-bokum, nobody gives a head how many thieves he caught and didn't catch as the head of EFCC, he can only fool uninformed Nigerians about his record not people like me. He tried though but he was OBJ's lapdog afterall. Like somebody rightly described him, he is a joker in the whole equation, the north will never use him as a plan B not when there is a Buhari looming large, may be OBJ might want to use him should GEJ not make it but I highly doubt that, GEJ will be crazy to hold the Ace and still lose to a lightweight like Atiku. My take is that if IBB had emerged the consensus candidate, he would ve been a bull to GEj but Atiku?
Anyway, the two ppl am root out in the coming elections are GEJ or Buhari, God forbid, I will waste my vote on Atiku or any joker from the ACN, is that party a regional social political party or sth, rubbish.
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by Igue: 12:55pm On Nov 28, 2010
NR is way ahead of all the others vying for the aso rock seat. sentiments apart, this man has credibility. he worked under the a system that never wanted him to succede, yet he did the best he could. we need revolution in this country and no one is better than NR to lead this revolution. nigerians think and vote NR for presido grin
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by debeginin(m): 8:10pm On Nov 28, 2010
The question is:Can Ribadu bring OBJ to Book?What about GEJ?Can Buhari do it?
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by Blazay(m): 8:13pm On Nov 28, 2010
debeginin:

The question is:Can Ribadu bring OBJ to Book?What about GEJ?Can Buhari do it?

None of the above. For they are ALL OBJ "Boys to Men" club.
The ONLY person who can do that is Atiku.
Not even IBB.
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by ladi02(m): 8:26pm On Nov 28, 2010
LOL at all the anti-Ribadu. . . .

Its unfortunate that all the guys that have experience have either only gained experience in being corrupt than in fixing Nigeria. You see someone that created an organisation (EFCC) that is widely feared and yet you prefer some thieves, so 2years from now you all come to Nairaland and continue your usual cries of how bad Nigeria is

You all better wake up and realise that what we need is not a past Governor or past Senator to fix Nigeria - they are all corrupted already!

And for those that feel that OBJ is using Ribadu, i ask you is GEJ = OBJ 3rd term?

Instead of looking for someone to put OBJ (old man) on trial, why not focus on the future of our country.
Re: 2011: I’m Not Afraid Of Jonathan, Others – Ribadu by ladej(m): 2:59am On Nov 30, 2010
sayso:

and who is good enough bros? i hate criticism without alternative solutions

Blazay:

What a noisy hornbill.
This man needs to just sharrrap and focus on what he has to offer Nigeria.

Sorry, dude.
The Nigerian youths or otherwise, do not get to vote-in their choices.

Politics in Nigeria is 'selection by back-door concensus'. Scratch my back, I scratch your nyansh.

no u need to sharrap

Kenyata:

@Sayso,

God bless you for that comment! I'm glad we are in the same boat. Obasanjo used Ribadu to selectively punish his political enemies. He was just a stooge. No more, no less. I'm yet to find who I can entrust my future and that of my children with. Some people have the blueprint of how to govern this country progressively. Definitely, Ribadu is not one of them.
yes same boat leading you both to hopelessness. ndo, pele, sorry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Politicians Are The Same All Over. They Promise To Build A Bridge Even Where The / Why Did Ojukwu Kill Victor Banjo? / Religious Riots In Ibi, Taraba State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.