Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,600 members, 7,965,340 topics. Date: Thursday, 03 October 2024 at 12:23 PM

Possible Impact Of Ww3 On Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Possible Impact Of Ww3 On Nigeria? (1087 Views)

WW3 Began On September 30th., 2015 / World War Three (WW3): The New World Order. / Ondo City And Impact Of Good Governance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Possible Impact Of Ww3 On Nigeria? by ElRazur: 1:15pm On Nov 26, 2010
So World War III is a phrase that get thrown around a lot. You know, with every international crisis going on and people tend to think or feel it may lead to an out break of war.  From the Operation Desert storm and down to the ever going problems in middle-east I have heard people mention that it will happen.

While there is no denying that the Human race is due for a World war - Over population, limited resources, flash point over religious beliefs and Political ideology, just to name a few - One is left to wonder what the impact will be on Nigeria (and a host of other players that are probably not perceived as world players)

If memory serves me right (please correct me if am wrong) the last two-great wars (WW1 and WW2) barely affected us. While I am aware that we sent a few soldiers to help up in the north of Africa or so, I really do not see as to how any out break of a World War will possibly affect us like it did London during the Blitz  (Read more info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blitz)

Correct me if am wrong, but what most of us fear the most during a war period is the random killing, insecurity and what not. That is reasonable in my opinion, but will it be far fetched to say that these things is already happening and almost a second nature in Nigeria?  So if there is an outbreak of war, it will most likely affect Nigeria very little. On comparison, places in UK, US, Russia, China, France and other "perceived world players" will probably bear the brunt of it all.

I am aware that there will be economic slow down around the world and this may in turn affect us locally, but one can make the argument that we can turn this around and actually use it to wean ourselves over the dependence of foreign goods and perhaps look to develop from inside during this period?

But what if I am wrong? For example, assuming WW3 is influenced by religion or caused as a result of religion, then will it be a fair assessment to say it may actually affect us more in Nigeria? I mean, it is no secret that given the little level of education and radicalism in some part of Nigeria, there will be those who are keen on "fighting for God" and "killing non-believers"?

Okay, let me not get all dramatic, but how do you think a world war 3 will affect us? Don't get me wrong, I am not saying it wouldn't, but I think it may not be as to how people are perceiving that it will be. You know, dead bodies littering the streets, F22 Raptors and Hercules plane drop[ing laser guided missiles on civilian population etc like London in WW2.

Thoughts?
Re: Possible Impact Of Ww3 On Nigeria? by MShittu: 1:26pm On Nov 26, 2010
I think that if WW3 breaks out, Naija is BOUND toi be affected, seeing as we export oil to all of the world's superpowers.
Re: Possible Impact Of Ww3 On Nigeria? by ElRazur: 1:31pm On Nov 26, 2010
MShittu:

I think that if WW3 breaks out, Naija is BOUND toi be affected, seeing as we export oil to all of the world's superpowers.

You mean, people will not buy our oil? Yeah I agree on that. Remember that there are nations who hold bigger reserves than us, and lets not forget that Submarines, War ships are mostly nuclear powered (Can go three decades on average without needing fuel)

Apart from not buying our oil - Something which I covered in my original post (made reference to slow economic activities) I cannot think of any other significance right now.
Re: Possible Impact Of Ww3 On Nigeria? by MShittu: 1:47pm On Nov 26, 2010
ElRazur:

You mean, people will not buy our oil? Yeah I agree on that. Remember that there are nations who hold bigger reserves that us, and lets not forget that Submarines, War ships are mostly nuclear powered (Can go three decades on average without needing fuel)

Apart from not buying our oil - Something which I covered in my original post (made reference to slow economic activities) I cannot think of any other significance right now.
I think I need to clarify what I meant by 'we export oil to all the world's superpowers'. Because Nigeria has so many natural resources, the warring superpower'l probably try to secure those resources. I know that they have nuclear powered weapons, but they'd want to secure our resources to make sure nobody else gets to them.
Re: Possible Impact Of Ww3 On Nigeria? by ElRazur: 9:26am On Nov 27, 2010
Possibly. Won't the local forces at home able to keep things under tabs?
Re: Possible Impact Of Ww3 On Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:36am On Nov 27, 2010
MShittu:

U forgot to add that we import everything !

(1) (Reply)

Asari Dokubo Should Support A Fellow Muslim - Buhari / When Is The Official Results Coming Out For This Election? / Where Is Ikedi Ohakim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.