Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,137 members, 7,887,291 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 06:02 AM

Senate Suspends Public Hearing On Social Media Bill Till Next Year - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Suspends Public Hearing On Social Media Bill Till Next Year (6637 Views)

₦‎3.7 Trillion Budget Padding Claim: Senate Suspends Ningi For Three Months / Coronavirus: Senate Suspends Public Hearing, Closes Gallery / Senate Suspends Ministerial Screening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Suspends Public Hearing On Social Media Bill Till Next Year by michealade(m): 10:38am On Dec 16, 2019
GeoAfrikana:
We really need this bill, not for today but for the future.

For those of you fighting it today, it might be the only haven you'll have tomorrow. Unfortunately, it will be too late by then.

Don't get me wrong, I don't support death penalty for offenders. What I'm saying is social media must be regulated.
like who are you and why are you looking for publicity??
Re: Senate Suspends Public Hearing On Social Media Bill Till Next Year by WizBLANCE(m): 10:38am On Dec 16, 2019
Well I can still insult Mr integrity from now till next year.

Foolish president.
Re: Senate Suspends Public Hearing On Social Media Bill Till Next Year by sharpwriter(m): 10:39am On Dec 16, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

For those of you fighting it today, it might be the only haven you'll have tomorrow. Unfortunately, it will be too late by then.

Don't get me wrong, I don't support death penalty for offenders. What I'm saying is social media must be regulated.

Lol... Dey there dey deceive una sef... You think all the lawmakers mumu abi? Approving the bill is like caging themselves... They're politicians and factions got to be in politics. If they all support it now, how will they counter their opponents and enemies in future when they need social media? Social media is effective and free to use. What they should stand against is libel and character assassination just as someone prescribed above... It's simple
Re: Senate Suspends Public Hearing On Social Media Bill Till Next Year by DonroxyII: 10:49am On Dec 16, 2019
aolawale025:
The bill should be taken down permanently
With that Bill, things that happened to Sowore and The Judge might be sweep under d carpet and anybody that share such clip hunted down. ....

Unnecessary bill.
Re: Senate Suspends Public Hearing On Social Media Bill Till Next Year by slimfit1(m): 10:52am On Dec 16, 2019
We need a bill that will show us what you did with our constituency funds and how it has benefited our people.
Re: Senate Suspends Public Hearing On Social Media Bill Till Next Year by madridsta007(m): 11:20am On Dec 16, 2019
Johnwicky:
The Senate Committee on Judiciary, Human Rights and Legal Matters has suspended further legislative actions on the controversial anti-social media bill sponsored by Senator Musa Sani till January next year.

Investigations by our correspondent revealed that the decision was not unconnected with the mixed feelings expressed by members of the 14-member Senate panel during their maiden meeting on the issue. The members are all lawyers.

The senators were said to have cautioned themselves and stressed the need to ensure a wide consultation on the issue.

A member of the committee said, “We have agreed, tentatively, to fix the public hearing for January. We have to be careful so as not to be on the wrong side of history... We need to ensure that the media and the civil society groups who are in the forefront of the agitation against the bill, come around to defend their position.

It is when this is done that we will be able to convince Nigerians that we have done the right thing.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/social-media-bill-senate-suspends-public-hearing-till-next-year/amp/

The regime of Major General Mohammadu Buhari seems to be wilting under some pressure.
Up Tinubu!
Re: Senate Suspends Public Hearing On Social Media Bill Till Next Year by Chicastle: 11:24am On Dec 16, 2019
Is that not NWAOBOSHI am seeing at the back there?. Seems he is a good back bencher though
Re: Senate Suspends Public Hearing On Social Media Bill Till Next Year by madridsta007(m): 11:26am On Dec 16, 2019
sharpwriter:

Lol... Dey there dey deceive una sef... You think all the lawmakers mumu abi? Approving the bill is like caging themselves... They're politicians and factions got to be in politics. If they all support it now, how will they counter their opponents and enemies in future when they need social media? Social media is effective and free to use. What they should stand against is libel and character assassination just as someone prescribed above... It's simple

Whatever Social Media bill they proscribe is for the masses.
You will see that they- politicians, that is- are above the law.
Who will go to arrest them when, for example, El Rufai posts an inciteful statement? Or Buhari's handlers? You?

Or the police that they control?

The social media bill is for you. Not for them.
Re: Senate Suspends Public Hearing On Social Media Bill Till Next Year by Lush100(m): 11:28am On Dec 16, 2019
next year that is less than 3 weeks away.

pls just says suspending it for 3 weeks in this rubber-stamp senate
Re: Senate Suspends Public Hearing On Social Media Bill Till Next Year by Ashley86400: 12:39pm On Dec 16, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

What is this one saying?
Countries that have social media regulation are countries ruled by dictators, NOT a democratic one.
Google the meaning of freedom of speech.
If, I as a beneficiary of a democratic state ,have the power in my hands to vote to put people I choose in power, why shouldn't I be able to express my concerns regarding their shortcomings?
There are many politicians and common citizens who openly condemn Trump and his actions ,calling him stupid, calling for his impeachment.
Trump can't do anything about it than shake their hands if he meets them face to face. .afterall, he has condemned governments before.
That is the meaning of democracy.
What do you think we are practicing in Nigeria?
Government by respect or Government by the people?
Re: Senate Suspends Public Hearing On Social Media Bill Till Next Year by HadizaTYazzaFB: 1:13pm On Dec 16, 2019
Re: Senate Suspends Public Hearing On Social Media Bill Till Next Year by reccy(m): 4:49pm On Dec 16, 2019
Sunnycliff:

You actually want it to be passed? On what grounds? What about laws against libel and character assassination? Isn't it enough

If that's enough, why is it not working.... We are looking for a way to curtail false news...
When you are ready to do the crime, be ready to do the time.
Re: Senate Suspends Public Hearing On Social Media Bill Till Next Year by reccy(m): 4:49pm On Dec 16, 2019
Jerryembassy91:
What is you point ??

Read again....
Re: Senate Suspends Public Hearing On Social Media Bill Till Next Year by Legendguru: 7:21pm On Dec 16, 2019
Oh
Re: Senate Suspends Public Hearing On Social Media Bill Till Next Year by meobizy(f): 3:52pm On Dec 18, 2019
Yep. When they want the public to make noise as usual they’ll revisit this matter.

(1) (2) (Reply)

NERC: Niger, Togo, Benin Owe Nigeria N12.38bn In Electricity Bills For Q1 2023 / North Sustained Nigeria Economically Before Oil Was Discovered - Ango Abdullahi / Why Is Buhari Absent From The Debate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.