Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,254 members, 7,887,730 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 01:00 PM

Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! - Properties (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! (39860 Views)

Lady Damages Her Apartment After Landlord Refused To Refund Her Caution Fee / Help My Land Lady Give Me 3 Months Quit Notice While My Rent Is Till Running / Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by militarily: 1:53pm On Dec 20, 2019
otuekong1:

read what I posted n stop exhibiting zombiesm
what u posted above was ethic stereotyping because u are an unrepentant tribalist.. Since u know that lots of igbo tenants are good tenants,while there may be a few bad eggs just like in every other tribe, why did u not make a blanket statement instead of singling out the Igbo's..

U see,u just cudnt muffle the tribalism which has welled up inside of you and has become your life identity..
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by WAECMATHEMATICS: 2:02pm On Dec 20, 2019
samnaija:

Remember don't be rude. Just insist that your case should be forwarded to multidoor court. They will issue the notice. If then they refuse or waste your time .go to their head office in ikeja with your documents.

Thanks so much.
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by CaptainFM1: 2:04pm On Dec 20, 2019
chival:
He probably doesn't have the funds to rent a new apartment yet. He'll leave eventually. Home owners should learn to have compassion for their tenants. The state of affairs in the country is causing millions to suffer untold hardship.

What more compassion do you suggest the home owner should give?

If the owner dies of hunger and starvation. The useless tenant will join people crying. He will not know he killed the man.

Do you think it's easy to own a house? What if owner borrowed money to build and the lender/bank have come to take over the house?

Try and be reasonable when you request for stay on compassionate ground. I know a landlord already resting 6ft below just because tenants frustrated his life. And that useless tenant is even a lawyer.

Trust me Tenants are more wicked than Landlords. They have a whole year to save up the money but they won't. They will now be begging like fowl when it's time to pay. The landlord is never their priority.

See, I'm vexing with this ur compassion, cos our tenant no gree pay here too. One even tie 2 cows down for her daughter's wedding on 28th. Imagine that.....!

3 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by jakandeola(m): 2:05pm On Dec 20, 2019
chival:

I've got two, how about you?
u think as an animal I think u lack sence

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Nobody: 2:08pm On Dec 20, 2019
militarily:
what u posted above was ethic stereotyping because u are an unrepentant tribalist.. Since u know that lots of igbo tenants are good tenants,while there may be a few bad eggs just like in every other tribe, why did u not make a blanket statement instead of singling out the Igbo's..

U see,u just cudnt muffle the tribalism which has welled up inside of you and has become your life identity..
When you see the truth say it
Igbo people are not bad but some few of them likes playing too smart

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by lereinter(m): 2:12pm On Dec 20, 2019
chival:

I have built my own house, and no, I am far from wicked.

Take your house to where you stay to live there
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by CaptainFM1: 2:14pm On Dec 20, 2019
Obason22:
When things was going well between u nd ur tenant, nobody knew abt it o. now u want to tell d world that ur tenant is bad and wicked, if i may ask how many yrs have ur tenant chigozie spent in ur hasu aside of d 10 months and how much is d cost of ur rentage now and then.

Look, it doesn't even matter if the Landlord is getting into a tenant pants. Business is business.
Such tenant can raise his/her case later.

What are we saying? 10months free already? People wicked sha!

2 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by TheLasyBuddha: 2:25pm On Dec 20, 2019
My dad is a caretaker where we live in Lagos. One bastard man is pulling the same stunt and has refused to leave. He hasn't paid a dime for the past 4 years and shows no sign of doing so.

I told him Civil Arbitration Centre will never solve the problem, only a court can. He has spent a lot of money to get this idiot man evicted from the place but all had seemed fruitless.

Thank you so much for bringing this up, OP.

I urge others to take this seriously as people in Lagos do this to landlords.

3 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by MrBONE2(m): 2:26pm On Dec 20, 2019
sinaj:
Remove the roof
grin

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by militarily: 2:26pm On Dec 20, 2019
otuekong1:

When you see the truth say it
Igbo people are not bad but some few of them likes playing too smart
and some ppl from the tribe u came from don't play smart at times?

For the records I ain't Igbo .. But I hate shameless tribal sstereotyping
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by saasala(m): 2:47pm On Dec 20, 2019
WAECMATHEMATICS:
Good day all.

Please, I need your advice on one wicked stubborn tenant. My family gave this our tenant a quick notice since February this year 2019. As a matter of fact, the tenant and our family went to Lagos Arbitration and Mediation Centre. It was at the Mediation Centre that we both reached an agreement that he should leave our apartment.

So, we gave him 6 months quit notice in February, 2019. His previous house rent elapsed that same February, 2019. So, for the 6 months quit notice we gave him, he didn't pay any money. He actually said he would need 6 months to search for another apartment at that meeting we had with him at the Mediation Centre in February. So, we gave him the 6 months for free.

The 6 months we gave him elapsed at the end of August, 2019. When the 6 months elapsed, he refused to vacate the apartment. So, my family went back to the Lagos Mediation Centre to complain. The Mediation Centre sent him (the tenant) a letter giving him 7 days ultimatum to vacate the apartment. At the end of the 7 days, this man refused to leave. My family complained again to the Mediation Centre and they said they would look into it.

After another 3 months again by last November, 2019, this tenant refused to leave the apartment. My family went back again to the Lagos Mediation Centre and one of the officials there said "So, the man has not left the house since?". We responded yes. At the Mediation Centre there, they said something like they are incapacitated by the law to take any action.

This is December now going to an end. The tenant is still in the house. He has refused to vacate the apartment. It's about 10 months now living in our apartment without any payment. He has refused to leave.

The apartment is a 2 bedroom flat in Aguda Surulere, Lagos. The tenant's name is Mr Chigozie Okongwu James.

We don't want to take law into our hands as it seems there is no solution to the problem through the Lagos Mediation Centre. It's about 10 months now!

What can my family do to get the man ejected from the apartment? Your advice are welcomed.

Just one solution to your problems: SOLDIERS

Give 2 soldiers 5k each. Thats all.
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by chival(f): 2:58pm On Dec 20, 2019
jakandeola:
u think as an animal I think u lack sence

And you had the nerve to ask me to get a degree? You just gave me my biggest laugh of the day.
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by 27Pushing30: 3:07pm On Dec 20, 2019
chival:

I've got two, how about you?
Cool story
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by sapele914(m): 3:08pm On Dec 20, 2019
WAECMATHEMATICS:
Good day all.

Please, I need your advice on one wicked stubborn tenant. My family gave this our tenant a quick notice since February this year 2019. As a matter of fact, the tenant and our family went to Lagos Arbitration and Mediation Centre. It was at the Mediation Centre that we both reached an agreement that he should leave our apartment.

So, we gave him 6 months quit notice in February, 2019. His previous house rent elapsed that same February, 2019. So, for the 6 months quit notice we gave him, he didn't pay any money. He actually said he would need 6 months to search for another apartment at that meeting we had with him at the Mediation Centre in February. So, we gave him the 6 months for free.

The 6 months we gave him elapsed at the end of August, 2019. When the 6 months elapsed, he refused to vacate the apartment. So, my family went back to the Lagos Mediation Centre to complain. The Mediation Centre sent him (the tenant) a letter giving him 7 days ultimatum to vacate the apartment. At the end of the 7 days, this man refused to leave. My family complained again to the Mediation Centre and they said they would look into it.

After another 3 months again by last November, 2019, this tenant refused to leave the apartment. My family went back again to the Lagos Mediation Centre and one of the officials there said "So, the man has not left the house since?". We responded yes. At the Mediation Centre there, they said something like they are incapacitated by the law to take any action.

This is December now going to an end. The tenant is still in the house. He has refused to vacate the apartment. It's about 10 months now living in our apartment without any payment. He has refused to leave.

The apartment is a 2 bedroom flat in Aguda Surulere, Lagos. The tenant's name is Mr Chigozie Okongwu James.

We don't want to take law into our hands as it seems there is no solution to the problem through the Lagos Mediation Centre. It's about 10 months now!

What can my family do to get the man ejected from the apartment? Your advice are welcomed.

It is a criminal case, report him to the police for deliberate intent to disturb the peace, illegal entry and trespass.

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by MeeLan: 3:09pm On Dec 20, 2019
Go and pursue them.
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Nobody: 3:13pm On Dec 20, 2019
chival:
He probably doesn't have the funds to rent a new apartment yet. He'll leave eventually. Home owners should learn to have compassion for their tenants. The state of affairs in the country is causing millions to suffer untold hardship.

The "home owners", are they picking money on the floor to build and to maintain the houses? He doesn't have money yet, so the owner of the house should be suffering while the useless fool remains in the house for almost 1 year without paying rent? I'm currently passing through the same thing now - the tenant's rent expired and they said that they are leaving that they can't afford the rent of 3 bedroom flat anymore, that they want to move to room/parlour. I sympathised with them, wished them well, and stayed patient/calm. Okay, leave now, they refused to, they are still there occupying the flat for free and I just kept quiet. But I've now given them timeline to move out, when the time comes, they are still there, that's when they will see monumental terror. Evil people.

2 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by sapele914(m): 3:15pm On Dec 20, 2019
TheLasyBuddha:
My dad is a caretaker where we live in Lagos. One bastard man is pulling the same stunt and has refused to leave. He hasn't paid a dime for the past 4 years and shows no sign of doing so.

I told him Civil Arbitration Centre will never solve the problem, only a court can. He has spent a lot of money to get this idiot man evicted from the place but all had seemed fruitless.

Thank you so much for bringing this up, OP.

I urge others to take this seriously as people in Lagos do this to landlords.
Deprivation of source of income, report him to the police, make it a criminal case, only people with valid contracts can be protected by the court, he is a trespasser, who is trying to breach the peace, once he writes his own statement, they will detain him, and charge him to court for illegal entry and trespass.

You are entitled to 6 months notice BEFORE your rent expires. Once it has expired, you are entitled to only 7 days, Section 18(5) of the Lagos State Tenancy Law 2011.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Galil: 3:31pm On Dec 20, 2019
flyingdutchman:

You are a very wicked person.
Wicked is an understatement

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Galil: 3:35pm On Dec 20, 2019
WAECMATHEMATICS:

Thanks for your advice.

Hope it'll not drag for months before he's ejected by the court's Sherrifs.

For the traditional means, can you shed more light on it? grin
It can drag for 2 years oo, he might decide not to show up at the court.

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Galil: 3:38pm On Dec 20, 2019
otuekong1:
I hate to sound like this but its kinda a norm amongst some greedy Igbo's to rent your house and refuse to pay,he(tenant) is building his house that he intends packing into
I am speaking from a real experiences I had
***The options you have are:
1.Involve the police
2.Disconnect every disconnectable(roof,water,power,
3.Report him to his pastor
4.Buy a good padlock n lock them in/ out
5.pray cause the tenant might be using JAy Z on you
I wanted to say this too, talking from experience with 2 Igbo men.
The first stayed for 3 years without paying, was eventually forced out with soldiers.
The second just locked the house and never came back, after series of calls we resorted to court.
That took a year and half, he still never appeared in court.
At the end of the day the court came to clear his belongings and awarded damages which isn't up to half the rent �

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Adams12345: 3:45pm On Dec 20, 2019
Go to Rent tribunal they are ones responsible for handling Rent cases. They will eject him out

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by oodua1stson: 4:16pm On Dec 20, 2019
chival:

Swear on. You are inconsequential. Your views and vituperations mean absolutely nothing to me.
akindidinrin

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Arabs999: 4:19pm On Dec 20, 2019
flyingdutchman:
Na guerrilla tactics remain oo! Send random people to make his life a living hell. But, beg them make dem no beat am or kill am oo! Make him property just dey loss small small.

This your advice correct pass.
Nnah, I hail oo...
.. The Tennant go pack out willingly without delay...

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by ultimatekint(m): 4:45pm On Dec 20, 2019
EmptyCoconutHead:
so why u con post am for politics section?
Nooooo! this is not a politics section.
I suspect you are a 'defaulter', when have you paid your landlord last? Answer my question.
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Legendguru: 5:08pm On Dec 20, 2019
Naija tenants need iron hand and forceful eviction pleading won’t help

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Ukpor1(m): 5:31pm On Dec 20, 2019
If you want them to leave your house.give each of them 50k den you will see dat dey will leave your house immediately.
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by TheLasyBuddha: 6:03pm On Dec 20, 2019
sapele914:
Deprivation of source of income, report him to the police, make it a criminal case, only people with valid contracts can be protected by the court, he is a trespasser, who is trying to breach the peace, once he writes his own statement, they will detain him, and charge him to court for illegal entry and trespass.

You are entitled to 6 months notice BEFORE your rent expires. Once it has expired, you are entitled to only 7 days, Section 18(5) of the Lagos State Tenancy Law 2011.

Thank you for your response.
My dad lodged a compliant at the Citizens Mediation Centre where the tenant was summoned. He signed an agreement to pack out of the room by September 30th, which was in June.

Do you think we should involve the Police on the matter and not the court?
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by afinotanjnr(m): 6:06pm On Dec 20, 2019
Gandollaar:
Ok not even that he has no money. If it's a bungalow, pls remove his side of the roof and see if he tries to repair it. If he does, then get anyone he brings for the job arrested by the police since you guys want to play it civil.

Remove the roof during rainy season...lol
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Temiay(m): 6:16pm On Dec 20, 2019
Venerable612:

PLEASE DO NOT TAKE BOTH OF THIS ADVICE.

Like the Lagos Mediation Centre told you - under Nigerian Law, and particularly Lagos’s Tenancy - you cannot resort to Self-help. Even when you have served the statutory notices.

So it means YOU CANNOT FORCEFULLY EJECT HIM from your house or you risk being sued for unlawful ejection Yourself and having to pay for damages.

What yu can do is this.

INSTRUCT A LAWYER

If the value of the Rent is less than #10M, proceed to the Magistrate Court. You can institute an action for ejection and serve it on the Tenant.

If the Value of the Rent is above #10M, then you must proceed to the High Court immediately to the same as above.

Note: on both cases, you will normally take a Writ to enforce the judgment of the court on ejection. With that, the Sherrifs in the court will be the one to come eject him from your house themselves.

ANYWAY - that’s if you want to do it legally. Otumokpo, Ogun lakaaye or any traditional means may be a faster and cheaper means grin. Just kidding.
this is the right way to go about it. Do not remove him yourself. He might use that as a bait against you. Be wise
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Paseus(m): 6:48pm On Dec 20, 2019
chival:

I am not. I own my own home. But growing up, I experienced these things. Sometimes people take a hard fall financially and in spite of their best intentions, they come to a point where they cant meet their financial obligations. That said, a few tenants have been known to be unnecessarily stubborn so yeah, life is an interesting mix of all sorts of people.
Bull's eye. But maybe the said tenant didn't say nice words to the landlord
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by seborrhic: 7:25pm On Dec 20, 2019
stephnie44:
my dear don't remove d roof.we once had a tenant like dis his rent was due for 2 yrs.mediation centre didn't work out just like u did.we removed his door thinking he would leave d man called d police on us ND we were told to fix d door.man was bragging dat we can't evict him ND dat he would leave wen he likes.u can imagine d pain.we got a lawyer though we spent money.one morning ND so God answer our prayer.lawyer cam wit court papers ND mobile men ND threw d man's stuffs out of d house.man started beggin.last last he was out of d house.so I advice u don't take laws into it hands.but follow due process
Best advice.
Some Nigerians don't learn,don't have sense and will be giving people dangerous advice with confidence and bravado.
If op doesn't want to become a tenant in his own house or go to jail for rest of his life for self help or murder,he should not involve thugs,army or area boys;lest his case be "had I known".
The lawyer,legal route is painfully the best option.
It will take time and cost money,but that is the price some landlords do pay and while they become strict later.
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Nobody: 7:36pm On Dec 20, 2019
flyingdutchman:

You are a very wicked person.

By now, you shouldn't be surprised at all about how these iPOB people reason. Maybe it's the water they drink & bath with in their region.

She is even talking about compassion when we all know that in the entire world, nobody maltreats housemaids the way their women do.

And every Sunday, go to any Church - You'll see them with their dark hearts, raising their filthy hands while singing "Jehovah You Too Love Me Ohhh".

Check the number of threads where Paedophiles are reportedly defiling their underage househelps in the last one week on Nairaland - and tell me the region they're from.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Nigerians In Ghana Control Over 50% Real Estate Investments / I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection / AMAC Demolishes A Shopping Plaza With People And Goods Inside (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.