Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,626 members, 7,878,805 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 07:19 AM

The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm (5809 Views)

The Birth Of A New 3ton Per Day Garri Processing Plant / Mushroom Spawn/seed At Affordable Price. / FREE ON THE FARM (PRACTICAL) MUSHROOM TRAINING (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by Munzy14(m): 5:43am On Dec 28, 2019
RussellUba:
SPAWN

This is the seed material that is used to inoculate the substrate.

(Please o, it is not like we are learning some kind of big grammar here. Buy there are certain terminologies that are need to be know if one is to be involved in mushroom cultivation. At least that will make you to be able to relate with whoever you are working with).

The spawn is like the seeds of the mushroom. In nature, when you want to get an orange seed, you open up the orange to get the seed.
For mushrooms, what they produce is called spores. These spores are invisible to the eyes. In nature, when these spores land on favourable places, something called mycelium begins to develop.

However, these spores have to compete with a lot of organisms for space and food in the environment. That is why you will see mushrooms growing on a log and also find something like a green stuff growing on the same tree. These organisms fight together for nutrients. But for business purpose, you want all your nutrients to go to your mushrooms. Just like you want your tomato crop to get nutrients from your land and not share it with weeds.

That is why the mushroom spawn (seed) is cultivated in the lab with some equipment and machines where sterility is needed. These spores are put into grains and then the mycelium grows. By the time the seed is gotten, the major problem has been overcome.
We can now move to planting our seeds to substrates... sawdust, grasses etc.

Am I relating?

Pictures of spawn...
Nice thread bro..

I need spawns, how do i get it. currently in owerri now.
Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by zabson(m): 9:42am On Dec 29, 2019
RussellUba:

We can waybill it to you. Where's your location?
Please do you supply to the north? Kano precisely.
Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by RussellUba(m): 9:03pm On Dec 29, 2019
Munzy14:
Nice thread bro..
I need spawns, how do i get it. currently in owerri now.
Alright. Our spawn will be ready in 10-12 days from now.
You can reach me on 07011356705.
Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by RussellUba(m): 9:04pm On Dec 29, 2019
zabson:
Please do you supply to the north? Kano precisely.
Yes I do. You can chat me up privately. Thank you.
Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by RussellUba(m): 9:06pm On Dec 29, 2019
jose718:

Do you have any free shade or room to use for growing out the mushrooms.

[Yeah I do have a free room]
Ok then. We can begin practicals...

1 Like

Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by RussellUba(m): 9:07pm On Dec 29, 2019
Ibenuel:
please I'm interested in learning it, contact me on08064224654

Is this your whatsapp number?
Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by RussellUba(m): 3:30pm On Aug 29, 2020
Been a while. Decided to revive this my thread.
It is tough trying to get a foothold in an industry that is still at its virgin state in the country, but by the time you get the hang of it, everything is price of cake.

While production is increasing for the ember period, this is what everyday harvest is like for now.

1 Like

Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by koolsammie(m): 4:40pm On Aug 30, 2020
RussellUba:
Been a while. Decided to revive this my thread.
It is tough trying to get a foothold in an industry that is still at its virgin state in the country, but by the time you get the hang of it, everything is price of cake.

While production is increasing for the ember period, this is what everyday harvest is like for now.

Glad to see you're back. Weldone Sir
If I may ask, do you get an instant market for the produce weekly, or you dry and store them, while sourcing for customers?
Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by RussellUba(m): 5:01pm On Aug 30, 2020
koolsammie:

Glad to see you're back. Weldone Sir
If I may ask, do you get an instant market for the produce weekly, or you dry and store them, while sourcing for customers?

I have customers that I supply to. Unfortunately lost one last week cos I could not meet up with what she wanted weekly. I have not even worked on advertisement as that would lead to huge orders that I will be unable to meet at the end of the day.

But from now to the end of next month, it will be all about expansion.

1 Like

Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by benzion72(m): 5:37pm On Sep 01, 2020
Well done
Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by Tochex101(m): 6:08pm On Sep 01, 2020
RussellUba:

I have customers that I supply to. Unfortunately lost one last week cos I could not meet up with what she wanted weekly. I have not even worked on advertisement as that would lead to huge orders that I will be unable to meet at the end of the day.

But from now to the end of next month, it will be all about expansion.
I just followed you cos I see you've kept up productively since 2019.
Your tenacity is admirable....where are you based

2 Likes

Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by RussellUba(m): 7:11pm On Sep 01, 2020
Tochex101:
I just followed you cos I see you've kept up productively since 2019. Your tenacity is admirable....where are you based
Thank you very much. Owerri, Imo state.
Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by ecomalchemist(m): 8:37am On Sep 02, 2020
This is very commendable to be honest, keep up the good work.

How much would it cost to start up a small scale mushroom farm ?

Can this be exported to West for foreign exchange ?
Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by iamolajide(m): 4:43pm On Sep 03, 2020
well-done ... pls I m interested in mushroom farming , what did I need to start
Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by Livurdrims: 8:40am On Sep 05, 2020
I've just gone through your tread this morning, and I want to thank you for rekindling my interest in mushroom farming. God bless you for that.

I intend setting up the farm in Jos. I have the space needed to start immediately. I have contacted you through an email request.

Thank you.
Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by Fundango: 11:09am On Sep 05, 2020
still patiently following
Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by ilebaye2017(m): 3:00pm On Sep 05, 2020
Sir I would be glad to learn this first hand from you. What would be the cost of starting a project like this? Thank you
Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by RussellUba(m): 12:25pm On Sep 07, 2020
For those asking, the cost of starting a project like this will depend on your location. Following my explanation from the first page, you can see that one of the major issue is to get spawn which are your seeds, a small work area, colonization room and a fruiting area where you will be doing your harvest.

However, your colonization room can also act as your fruiting room (that is what I do at the moment).
A 55ft * 25ft room can take approximately 10,000 of the substrate bags that I posted (I currently have about 2000).10,000 of those bags should be holding about 2tons of dry weight sawdust. This in my opinion is a moderate commercial farm.

1 Like

Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by RussellUba(m): 1:20pm On Jan 24, 2021
Current state of the farm

Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by gadegunle(f): 7:53pm On Jan 24, 2021
Wow you are really doing a good job.
I am also interested in cultivating mushrooms and honestly and I want to ask if you cultivate at a farm do you have to go there everyday.
I have a room at our farm house but not in the same location so it would entail travelling down.
Is mushroom something you can leave while they grow?
Thanks
RussellUba:
Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by RussellUba(m): 2:31am On Jan 25, 2021
gadegunle:
Wow you are really doing a good job.
I am also interested in cultivating mushrooms and honestly and I want to ask if you cultivate at a farm do you have to go there everyday.
I have a room at our farm house but not in the same location so it would entail travelling down.
Is mushroom something you can leave while they grow?
Thanks

Thing is that the mushroom produces everyday so you might need to be harvesting everyday or every 2 days. But this depends on the number of fruiting bags that you have.

1 Like

Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by gadegunle(f): 8:10am On Jan 25, 2021
Oh now I understand but before it starts to fruit can one leave it for some days without checking the fruiting bags?
RussellUba:

Thing is that the mushroom produces everyday so you might need to be harvesting everyday or every 2 days. But this depends on the number of fruiting bags that you have.

1 Like

Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by gadegunle(f): 8:11am On Jan 25, 2021
RussellUba:
Well done sir!
Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by RussellUba(m): 8:14am On Jan 25, 2021
gadegunle:
Oh now I understand but before it starts to fruit can one leave it for some days without checking the fruiting bags?

Yes. It will need to be left alone for about 2-4weeks to grow.

1 Like

Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by RussellUba(m): 12:31pm On Jan 25, 2021
Sawdust that was inoculated 66hours ago. About 1000 of these bags to be inoculated for the first stage.

1 Like

Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by IRIENBOY(m): 9:43pm On Jan 25, 2021
nice work
Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by gadegunle(f): 4:42pm On Jan 26, 2021
Please do you sterilise the substract in the iron drum as well?
RussellUba:
Sawdust that was inoculated 66hours ago. About 1000 of these bags to be inoculated for the first stage.
Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by RussellUba(m): 7:34pm On Jan 26, 2021
gadegunle:
Please do you sterilise the substract in the iron drum as well?

Yes.
I will share the pic from the farm tomorrow.
Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by RussellUba(m): 8:31pm On Jan 26, 2021
IRIENBOY:
nice work

Thank you.
Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by gadegunle(f): 10:31pm On Jan 26, 2021
Thank you
RussellUba:

Yes.
I will share the pic from the farm tomorrow.
Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by RussellUba(m): 7:32pm On Feb 01, 2021
gadegunle:
Thank you

Sorry for the delay. Been so busy.
Here is the pic.

Re: The Birth Of A Mushroom Farm by SOLOMiN: 1:33pm On Feb 02, 2021
This is great.
Please, share with us the cost of setting up the commercial scale

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Some Strange Trees with fascinating structures (photos) / Bitter Truth About Snail Farming / Treated Hybrids Tenera & Dura Palm Kennels With Delivery Available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.