Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,196 members, 7,880,721 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 04:09 AM

Thread For Natural African/Nigerian Hair (Type 4 Kinky Hair) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Thread For Natural African/Nigerian Hair (Type 4 Kinky Hair) (526 Views)

Quality Traditional African Nigerian Adire(Tie and Dye), Batik Kampala Fabrics / Thread For Men Who Married The Wrong Spouse, Please Share Your Experience / A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thread For Natural African/Nigerian Hair (Type 4 Kinky Hair) by nlPoster: 8:51pm On Dec 23, 2019
Nowadays it's rather difficult for those who are used to relaxed or fixed hair textures, to know exactly what natural African hair is supposed to look or be like. Most professional photos online show extended afro type hair with extremely long lengths and various designs.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Natural African/Nigerian Hair (Type 4 Kinky Hair) by nlPoster: 8:52pm On Dec 23, 2019
To complicate matters, some Nigerian women have very sensitive scalps and feel much pain when their hair is combed or braided. Some can even get physically sick because of this.

Keeping natural dreads (ie not combing the hair) helps with the problem, but not everyone has that option if it's attached to a spiritual significance.
Re: Thread For Natural African/Nigerian Hair (Type 4 Kinky Hair) by nlPoster: 8:56pm On Dec 23, 2019
In Nigeria, female kids were often taught to withstand the pain by their hair braiders (either their mums, relatives or professionals), by disciplining them so they sit still (smacking, etc). This was before, I dont know about now. Cutting the hair was also an option.
Re: Thread For Natural African/Nigerian Hair (Type 4 Kinky Hair) by nlPoster: 8:57pm On Dec 23, 2019
These days there are more non-relaxer products to soften African/Nigerian hair and make it manageable. Unlike before.
Re: Thread For Natural African/Nigerian Hair (Type 4 Kinky Hair) by nlPoster: 8:58pm On Dec 23, 2019
Natural Nigerian hair is considered one of the toughest levels of afro type hair (to manage), despite it's fragility. Some Nigerian females do not have hard hair, but many do.
Re: Thread For Natural African/Nigerian Hair (Type 4 Kinky Hair) by nlPoster: 9:03pm On Dec 23, 2019
I'm looking at the pictures of afro hair on another thread, and I believe some of the afro hair is actually afro extensions of various shapes and sizes.

Natural african/Nigerian hair does not have the exact same bulk from root to tip. There should be a thinner length towards the ends of the hair. This part is often trimmed so the hair can grow. Pictures showing very long, bulky and kinky African hair with the entire length (or tips) the same volume as the roots, are likely hair extensions. I could be wrong of course.

Typically, the hair is thick at the roots and middle, then the ends allow more visibility.
Re: Thread For Natural African/Nigerian Hair (Type 4 Kinky Hair) by czarina(f): 9:09pm On Dec 23, 2019
So, this is supposed to be a rant thread about kinky hair?
Re: Thread For Natural African/Nigerian Hair (Type 4 Kinky Hair) by nlPoster: 11:33pm On Dec 23, 2019
Some females can endure the pain from fixing afro hair, for others it's not as simple as that.

They can have serious symptoms and be very ill. Modifying the hair treatments to reflect the person's ability to manage them, is important.

In Nigeria, many girls are/were required to cut off their hair, this partly solved the problem until they are/were responsible enough to do their own hair the way they prefer/preferred. Although the reason for having short hair was not because of tenderness when plaiting but for convenience and neatness.
Re: Thread For Natural African/Nigerian Hair (Type 4 Kinky Hair) by tck2000(m): 12:15am On Dec 24, 2019
pictures
Re: Thread For Natural African/Nigerian Hair (Type 4 Kinky Hair) by nlPoster: 1:15am On Dec 24, 2019
African hair threading from long ago was a very effective way of taming and detangling hair. It made the kinkiness much easier to manage if done properly.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Natural African/Nigerian Hair (Type 4 Kinky Hair) by nlPoster: 1:17am On Dec 24, 2019
Re: Thread For Natural African/Nigerian Hair (Type 4 Kinky Hair) by nlPoster: 1:37am On Dec 24, 2019
I'm not sure why a discussion about Nigerian hair became a tug of war over which facial features are good or bad, but limiting the topic to Nigerian hair only, the kinky type, might be more helpful.
Re: Thread For Natural African/Nigerian Hair (Type 4 Kinky Hair) by crackhaus: 3:17am On Dec 24, 2019
More pictures please.
All the analyses of hair without photos angry

(1) (Reply)

Wife Needed / Epad 10.1'' Tablet Android 8.0, 32gb, Hd Screen, Wifi 2 Sim, 4g Phablet / Can I Sue My Village People?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.