Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,913 members, 7,931,164 topics. Date: Sunday, 25 August 2024 at 05:51 PM

Going To Naija This Xmas: Some Questions - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Going To Naija This Xmas: Some Questions (796 Views)

On My Way To Naija. / FUNNY!! See What Happened To Naija 'santa Claus' On Christmas Day (PHOTOS) / Where Can A Broke Guy Have Fun In Lagos This Xmas Period? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Going To Naija This Xmas: Some Questions by headkiss: 12:26pm On Nov 30, 2010
Hey all,
I live in Minnesota and i'm going back to Nigeria ( Enugu) for the first time in 6 years and i have some questions.

1. whats the best way to take funds with me,,  cash, travelers check?

2. I need to get an HDTV for my family back home. According to my brother, the selection in enugu is terrible and the prices are really high. Can i buy a tv here and take it with me on the plane? anyone have any experience with this?

3. I'm gonna be landing in abuja. do i need to book a connecting flight to enugu ahead of time or can i just get one that day?

Thanks to anyone who reads or answers smiley
Re: Going To Naija This Xmas: Some Questions by igochopurs(f): 12:38pm On Nov 30, 2010
1. That question is not necessary- If you have cash, bring it. If you have a Visa Card or so, leave your cash in America and draw your money here with your visa card on the ATM machines around. Cash most preferably, if it is large, make sure you declare to customs in America.

2. You either bring your HDTV with you, or buy them in Nigeria here. They are ten ten kobo here in Nigeria, so, make your choice. How can you ask if you can take your TV with you on the plane? I assume this is your second time of flying in a plane? First time you travelled out and now? We dont know the size of the TV you will buy, so, how can you put it inside the plane? Duuhhhh? You can check it in, no big deal, i have seen plasma, flat screen Tvs etc being offloaded on my numerous trips into Nigeria.

3. You can book your flight anytime you land at the Abuja airport - just go to the local and buy or ask someone to buy ahead for you if they know your itinery.

No biggie at all.
Re: Going To Naija This Xmas: Some Questions by headkiss: 12:46pm On Nov 30, 2010
Thanks for the reply. The TV i intend to take with me is a 47 incher. yes this is my first time going back to Nigeria but i have been on planes numerous times, jsut didnt know how transporting such items internationally worked. So i dont have to pay customs or anything?
Re: Going To Naija This Xmas: Some Questions by igochopurs(f): 1:02pm On Nov 30, 2010
you pay no dime. You cant put a 47 inside the plane bro. too massive. unless the Pilot can allow you to use his cockpit.
Re: Going To Naija This Xmas: Some Questions by Nobody: 1:13pm On Nov 30, 2010
^^^^ hhmm i think he meant in the luggage/hold compartment (cargo)
Re: Going To Naija This Xmas: Some Questions by headkiss: 1:16pm On Nov 30, 2010
Thx man. And no i did not mean taking it physically inside the plane with me ( that would be stupid).Anyways i talked to Delta and they only let u check in 2 bags ( tv qualifies as a bag) before they hit u with a $200 charge for each additional bag. So i will probably try to buy one in Nigeria.
Re: Going To Naija This Xmas: Some Questions by igochopurs(f): 1:18pm On Nov 30, 2010
Nice idea.

Remember to buy a sat nav when you get to Nigeria. You can use that to know your way around.
Re: Going To Naija This Xmas: Some Questions by indie22(f): 3:55pm On Nov 30, 2010
@ headkiss, maybe you should try sending you TV via one of the cargo companies that offer door to door services, they pick up your stuff like 2 weeks before you leave and deliver to wherever you want in Nigeria, but you'll need to hurry coz they re usually crazy busy over christmas, loads of people going on christmas hols and sending stuff "back home"

As for booking connecting flights, its not much different from the way its done in any other airport anywhere else,
Re: Going To Naija This Xmas: Some Questions by headkiss: 6:48pm On Nov 30, 2010
Cargo people? Can you give me some links, maybe a phone number or website? That seems like something i might be interested in. thx.
Re: Going To Naija This Xmas: Some Questions by indie22(f): 7:00pm On Nov 30, 2010
Well, I don't know any reliable cargo companies in america, I made use of their services when I lived in london and was relocating to nigeria, I'm sure some nairalanders in america can sort you out, I think there's a thread in the travel section on the cheapest and most reliable ways to send things from america to nigeria (that could be useful) or ill ask a couple of friends, who might know  and post a number or address here.
Re: Going To Naija This Xmas: Some Questions by cidomicky(m): 8:25pm On Nov 30, 2010
CIDOMICK INT. Services is a nigerian registered company,we are expert in interior and exterior decorations and we help people purchase and import goods from USA,DUBAI AND CHINA.we can help you purchase and import d TV to deliver on ur arrival or to ur family b4 u return.if you ve purchased it you can cargo it down to Portharcourt ,we will help u keep it till you return or deliver to ur family.for the cash u can send it through western uninion to pick it up urself when you get to Nigeria or to us with nagotiable service charge of 10percent of the total amount.for more info mail:cidomick@yahoo.com or call:08032765549.
We take our services to all parts of Nigeria with little service charge and we give the our customers the best service and product their money can buy.
Re: Going To Naija This Xmas: Some Questions by afrotradeg(f): 11:15pm On Dec 01, 2010
There numerous ways of travelling without taking cash with you , just open an account in nigeria either domicilliary or normal account if you do not have one already and send your cash home even before you travel through companies like www.afrotradegroup.com and if you need a car while in Nigeria we also provide cars, our driver will pick you up from the airport and take you to your destination within lagos or enugu
( cheaper than Taxis in lagos or minicab)
Hope this helps
Hope you have a safe journey smiley
contact carrental@afrotradegroup.com for more information or call me on 0203 384 54 24

(1) (Reply)

[music] What Song Do You Recommend For Us? / Pweety4me / The Truth About Subsidy:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.