Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,712 members, 7,918,191 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 03:17 AM

Asaba Market Fire: Goods Worth Over N60m Destroyed - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Asaba Market Fire: Goods Worth Over N60m Destroyed (609 Views)

Gowon Estate Lagos Market Fire Destroys Properties Worth Millions (Photos) / Goats, Chickens, Fabrics Roast In Asaba Market Fire / Benin Ekiosa Market Fire: Thieves Return Stolen Items (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Asaba Market Fire: Goods Worth Over N60m Destroyed by nwekeugochukwu: 7:20am On Dec 30, 2019
Saturday night was a tragedy to traders in Asaba wood market when fire gutted the popular Timber Market which is located behind Chiedu Okoh Plaza, along the Onitsha/Asaba Expressway.

IgbereTV gathered that the inferno started by 8:00p.m Saturday night.

An eyewitness said the fire started from a cold room behind the timber market. He said, “I was coming back home around 9p.m when I saw the fire”.

He revealed that an electric spark which started from the cold room was responsible for the market inferno, where goods worth over N60 million were destroyed.

Another account stated that the spark was from the electric pole which set fire on the sawdust at the market and, since it was in the night, the fire entered some of the piled woods and expanded.

Though it was said that the Delta State Fire Service officials were on the ground, they could not achieve much as the fire was said to be beyond them.

Also speaking to IgbereTV, a shop owner in the market, blamed the leadership of the market for allowing the cold room to stay in such a place.

“We have had issues with the cold room several times, it has destroyed the transformer on several occasions,” he stated.

One of the owners of the burnt shops, Victor Okeke, said he came back from his village after hearing about the incident in the early hours of Sunday.

Although he said he could not ascertain the number of shops that were affected, he revealed that most shop owners were not yet aware of the situation as they had travelled for Christmas and New Year.

When contacted, Michael Awunor, chairman, Anioma Building Materials and Timber Dealers Association, lamented that they lost over N60 million worth of goods.

He said that about 7:15p.m he got a call from one Pastor that there was a serious spark on the electric pole which forced him to travel down to Asaba.

“I immediately put a call to BEDC and fire service men, while BEDC switched off the light, the fire service men equally rushed down but could not do anything until the second truck came and they tried their best but it could not yield result,’ he said.

According to him, all the goods stocked for January and February sales were gone.

He expressed displeasure over the incident and pleaded with government to come to the aid of victims of the fire incident as he said the victims were handicapped financially.

On the cause of the fire, he disagreed with the cold room narrative, stating that the cold room had not started working while the other one had not been installed, insisting that the fire was from the pole.

http://igberetvnews.com/1216321/asaba-market-fire-goods-worth-n60m-destroyed/

Re: Asaba Market Fire: Goods Worth Over N60m Destroyed by 9jii(m): 7:23am On Dec 30, 2019
Re: Asaba Market Fire: Goods Worth Over N60m Destroyed by Mutemenot(m): 7:23am On Dec 30, 2019
So sorry for the loss
Re: Asaba Market Fire: Goods Worth Over N60m Destroyed by NwaAmaikpe: 7:25am On Dec 30, 2019
shocked

Not a prophet of doom but some of us were afraid this would happen sooner or later.
When that plaza was designed in 2006 by "GoodShepherd", most of us believed it was just a shopping complex. We were shocked when day by day, it slowly became the major building material market in Asaba.

I would have expected that the state government would intervene and relocate it away from there considering it's close proximity to the overly populated Bonsaac residential area and that it's closeness to the Benin-Onitsha express road will not only obstruct traffic but increase a propensity of car crashes there.

Even a blind man will first notice the precarious electric poles and wires that abound in that market, from the wood section, to the sawmill, to where metals are forged into machetes and even down to those shanty 'mama puts'.
It is common sight to see wires rubbing buildings and the biggest of the ironies is that the BEDC Ezenei office is only a few steps away.

If I were the state government, I would relocate the market and instead use the building for Ministries like they did with the one on Anwai Road.

But the biggest of all threats to that market I believe is the new Okpanam Building materials market just after the Hampton Towers who don't receive the amount of patronage they should despite that the movement of development in the town is now in their favour.

Folks would rather drive down to Chiedu Okoh market to buy their timber and rods, since a cement depot is just opposite.
That can make an evil desperate trader think up ingenious means of ending this competition.

But since they say it is an electric pole that caused the fire, it is up to you BEDC. You now have a good reason to throw all of Bonsaac into perpetual darkness.
They can't have good roads and also have constant electricity.

Lest they forget they are still in Nigeria.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Asaba Market Fire: Goods Worth Over N60m Destroyed by GOFRONT(m): 8:03am On Dec 30, 2019
Chaiii.....This man above me sha know almost all the nooks and cranies of naija....

Well, I'm patiently waiting for that day when my local govt will pop out of the News headline, so I can see how much you know about her . grin

Happy prosperous new yar Mr NwaAmaikpe

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asaba Market Fire: Goods Worth Over N60m Destroyed by olumide3367(m): 8:09am On Dec 30, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Not a prophet of doom but some of us were afraid this would happen sooner or later.
When that plaza was designed in 2006 by "GoodShepherd", most of us believed it was just a shopping complex. We were shocked when day by day, it slowly became the major building material market in Asaba.

I would have expected that the state government would intervene and relocate it away from there considering it's close proximity to the overly populated Bonsaac residential area and that it's closeness to the Benin-Onitsha express road will not only obstruct traffic but increase a propensity of car crashes there.

Even a blind man will first notice the precarious electric poles and wires that abound in that market, from the wood section, to the sawmill, to where metals are forged into machetes and even down to those shanty 'mama puts'.
It is common sight to see wires rubbing buildings and the biggest of the ironies is that the BEDC Ezenei office is only a few steps away.

If I were the state government, I would relocate the market and instead use the building for Ministries like they did with the one on Anwai Road.

But the biggest of all threats to that market I believe is the new Okpanam Building materials market just after the Hampton Towers who don't receive the amount of patronage they should despite that the movement of development in the town is now in their favour.

Folks would rather drive down to Chiedu Okoh market to buy their timber and rods, since a cement depot is just opposite.
That can make and evil desperate trader think up ingenious means of ending this competition.

But since they say it is an electric pole that caused the fire, it is up to you BEDC. You now have a good reason to throw all of Bonsaac into perpetual darkness.
analyst grin
Re: Asaba Market Fire: Goods Worth Over N60m Destroyed by Ayobami7(m): 10:41am On Dec 30, 2019
注意
Re: Asaba Market Fire: Goods Worth Over N60m Destroyed by Equity15(m): 3:33pm On Dec 31, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

That can make an evil desperate trader think up ingenious means of ending this competition.

Lest they forget they are still in Nigeria.
na wa oh..na everywhere you know for this country?

(1) (Reply)

Come And I Will Teach You How To Design Logos, Posters And Flyer! / Get A Loan As A Car Owner With Little Interest / Please How Can I Get Pos For My Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.