Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,096 members, 7,973,694 topics. Date: Sunday, 13 October 2024 at 12:14 AM

Flashback: Trump Once Said; 'Obama Will Start A War With Iran To Get Reelected.' - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Flashback: Trump Once Said; 'Obama Will Start A War With Iran To Get Reelected.' (295 Views)

Macron Reelected For Second Term As French President / Macron Urges Iran To Avoid ‘escalation’, Voices ‘solidarity’ With US / BREAKING!!..Trump Pulls Out Of Nuclear Deal With Iran (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flashback: Trump Once Said; 'Obama Will Start A War With Iran To Get Reelected.' by MalcoImX: 11:47am On Jan 07, 2020
(CNN) — In media appearances prior to the 2012 election, Donald Trump repeatedly predicted that then-President Barack Obama would start a war with Iran in order to win reelection.

A CNN KFile review found Trump made the claims throughout 2011 and 2012 in radio and television appearances as well as in a since-deleted YouTube blog and on Twitter.

Now president and facing his own reelection battle later this year, Trump ordered a drone strike on Thursday that killed Qasem Soleimani, the head of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Quds Force, in a major escalation between Iran and the US. Trump celebrated the news on Thursday night by tweeting a picture of an American flag, adding on Friday, "Iran never won a war, but never lost a negotiation!"

On Friday, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Fox & Friends the US does not "seek war with Iran" but that the US would not "stand by and watch the Iranians escalate and continue to put American lives at risk without responding in a way that disrupts, defends, deters and creates an opportunity to deescalate the situation."

Trump has consistently criticized Obama's Iran policy -- the chief accomplishment of which was an internationally negotiated deal reached in 2015 that lifted sanctions in exchange for Iran ratcheting down its nuclear weapons program. The Trump administration reimposed all sanctions in 2018. But before that deal, Trump routinely asserted that Obama would force a confrontation to boost his domestic prospects.

"Our President will start a war with Iran because he has absolutely no ability to negotiate," Trump said in a November 2011 video on his YouTube channel.

"He's weak, and he's ineffective," Trump added. "So I believe that he will attack Iran sometime prior to the election, because he thinks that's the only way he can get elected."

Speaking on the Sean Hannity radio program in January 2012, Trump predicted "some kind of a war" with Iran prior to that year's election.

"I say that he'll start a war in Iran before the election, which will make it very hard for the Republican to win," Trump said. "He'll start a war, you know, lives will be wasted for no reason." "I think it's going to happen sometime prior to the election. There'll be some kind of a war started," added Trump.

On Fox News' On the Record in February 2012 Trump said it was "pretty sad" to say, but said Obama would go to war nonetheless.

"I've said before, I think Obama will go to war with Iran because I think he views it as good politically," Trump said. "That's pretty sad and it's a pretty sad thing to have to say, but I think he will absolutely go to war with Iran. I think he views that as a positive from a political standpoint, and I think he's just waiting for the right moment."

Speaking on the Laura Ingraham Show in April 2012, Trump repeated his prediction. "I happen to think that the president is going to start a war with Iran," said Trump. "I think it'll be a short term popular thing to do. And I think he's going to do that for political reasons."

Trump made the same prediction on Fox News' Justice with Judge Jeanine that month.

"In my opinion, Obama will start a war," Trump said. "For about three weeks it'd be very popular about, by the way, six months later he'll be very unpopular, but by that time it's too late." "Well, I think that he would do it," Trump continued. "I do believe he will do it -- whether he does it under the guise of Israel or not -- but I do believe he would do it. I've been making that prediction. Let's see what happens. Many of my predictions, as you know better than anybody have come true."

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/03/politics/kfile-trump-obama-2012-iran-war-reelection/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSrC7-ERrE4
Re: Flashback: Trump Once Said; 'Obama Will Start A War With Iran To Get Reelected.' by TheSourcerer: 11:51am On Jan 07, 2020
It's obvious he is also doing this for selfish reasons
Just killed suliamoni for no reason and so many other civilians to at his barrel end
Re: Flashback: Trump Once Said; 'Obama Will Start A War With Iran To Get Reelected.' by MalcoImX: 11:52am On Jan 07, 2020
So this whole thing (putting lives of millions of people in danger) is to shore up political capital.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flashback: Trump Once Said; 'Obama Will Start A War With Iran To Get Reelected.' by mekuso89(m): 11:55am On Jan 07, 2020
I hate politics
Re: Flashback: Trump Once Said; 'Obama Will Start A War With Iran To Get Reelected.' by UniQue84: 11:56am On Jan 07, 2020
TheSourcerer:
It's obvious he is also doing this for selfish reasons
Just killed suliamoni for no reason and so many other civilians to at his barrel end
Really, so you of all people think he killed that man for No reason like seriously, that man has not killed any before through his terrorist activities hmmm. Who knows tomorrow you may also come up to say they killed Osama bin laden for No reason too...

For all your landed properties in Ajah- lekki, Ibeju lekki, isheri, as well as it's environs, Abuja, handled by trusted professionals Whatsapp/ call UniQue Properties (UP) ...on see signature for more details.
Re: Flashback: Trump Once Said; 'Obama Will Start A War With Iran To Get Reelected.' by Racoon(m): 11:56am On Jan 07, 2020
Whether true or false, Islamic-inspired terrorism have taken a sophisticated dimension.The drive in Nigeria today started with the religious fundamentalism, then systematic genocide/forceful occupation of people land and entrenchment of core hausa-fulani muslims in all strata of government,
Re: Flashback: Trump Once Said; 'Obama Will Start A War With Iran To Get Reelected.' by TheSourcerer: 12:02pm On Jan 07, 2020
UniQue84:
Really, so you of all people think he killed that man for No reason like seriously, that man has not killed any before through his terrorist activities hmmm. Who knows tomorrow you may also come up to say they killed Osama bin laden for No reason too...

For all your landed properties in Ajah- lekki, Ibeju lekki, isheri, as well as it's environs, Abuja, handled by trusted professionals Whatsapp/ call UniQue Properties (UP) ...on see signature for more details.
we don't know if their general was a terrorist or not , what we know is he killed an American , he is a Soilder of course he has committed attrocities , but he is also a decorated war hero ,
Re: Flashback: Trump Once Said; 'Obama Will Start A War With Iran To Get Reelected.' by MalcoImX: 12:03pm On Jan 07, 2020
Racoon:
Whether true or false, Islamic-inspired terrorism have taken a sophisticated dimension.The drive in Nigeria today started with the religious fundamentalism, then systematic genocide/forceful occupation of people land and entrenchment of core hausa-fulani muslims in all strata of government,
Taking the sophistication of our internal security problems, have you ever mulled any idea of foreign sponsorships?
Re: Flashback: Trump Once Said; 'Obama Will Start A War With Iran To Get Reelected.' by GhettoG1(m): 12:16pm On Jan 07, 2020
Playing politics with the innocents life, that's why some reasonable American peeps re protesting against USA going to war. It's all politics nd remaining in office. Power sweet ehn!!
War that only the starting is known nd nobody can predict the ending...
I pray for Peace to reign all over the World�
Re: Flashback: Trump Once Said; 'Obama Will Start A War With Iran To Get Reelected.' by MalcoImX: 1:09pm On Jan 07, 2020
So Mr. Grumpy, are you now the weak, ineffective and opportunistic president seeking for an easier way to get reelected?

(1) (Reply)

Covid-19: Two US Congress members test positive, at least 14 others self-isolate / Breaking: Ghana Closes ALL Borders / Mcdonald’s In China Apologizes For Sign Banning Black People Amid Coronavirus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.