Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,819 members, 7,889,693 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 06:20 PM

Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples (1993 Views)

Meet Dr Lola Bayode, The Doctor Who Built The Biggest Orphanage In Africa(pics) / Smith Takema: It’s Ungodly For You To Marry Woman Without Giving Her Enough Sex / Go And Do A Paternity Test On You Children, Especially Your First Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by IyaTola: 11:25am On Jan 08, 2020
I want to ask please, but there is something that made me raise an eyebrow. When a man gets to the hospital/lab to run a malaria test on his sick wife, they asked for malaria test only, is it right for the doctor to do pregnancy test on the woman without the couples authorization?

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by Nobody: 11:31am On Jan 08, 2020
No. Sue the hospital and claim damages. Who knows, that how breakthrough is coming your way this 2020

5 Likes

Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by nlPoster: 11:35am On Jan 08, 2020
If the doctor suspects pregnancy what's the problem?

Is there more to the scenario?

6 Likes

Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by lavylilly: 11:36am On Jan 08, 2020
why?
Zangazanga:
No. Sue the hospital and claim damages. Who knows, that how breakthrough is coming your way this 2020
The problem is that non medical persons go to the hospital to tell a professional what to do.
When you go to the hospital , you're not to request for any test rather it's the doctor's prerogative to recommend tests based on your case history, signs and symptoms you present with.

A well-trained doctor will run a series of tests when a patient presents symptons he/she can't easily diagnose, only telling the patient or handler (where the patient is indiposed)
1., because there is cost involved, and
2. If the results present something different from what the patient thinks is wrong.
There is no law broken here. And to the best of my knowledge, there is no requirement to tell or ask a patient before a test is done.
Doctors don't have to ask or inform a patient before any test is carried out on a patient who presents himself/herself for treatment.

What if the patient is unconscious? What if s/he is an emergency case?
I went to donate blood a couple of months back. No one told me my blood pressure would be checked and a series of tests, including hepatitis and HIV tests, would be conducted.
But they did conduct those tests and only told AFTER I had given the blood, and I questioned why no screening of the blood was done.
"We did those already, Ma" was what the attending nurse told me.
And in this scenario here, however, are you sure the husband himself didn't ask for the pregnancy test to be done, perhaps after suspecting his wife may actually be showing pregnancy symptons?

9 Likes

Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by Nobody: 11:37am On Jan 08, 2020
I think it's wrong of the doctor to do. I think there is a channel you can lay your complain to the appropriate authority for action

5 Likes

Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by lavylilly: 11:38am On Jan 08, 2020
You do not tell a doctor what to treat or what test to run.
You took yourself to a doctor and he is at liberty to put you through tests he or thinks will help him get a confirmed diagnosis.
Oma307:
I think it's wrong of the doctor to do. I think there is a channel you can lay your complain to the appropriate authority for action

5 Likes

Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by nlPoster: 11:40am On Jan 08, 2020
OP more details please.

Why is the couple angry at the pregnancy test and is the wife pregnant?

6 Likes

Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by yazga: 11:42am On Jan 08, 2020
No. It's unprofessional. They are to suggest that to the couple and if they agree, then they can go ahead. No investigation should be carried out by any medical personnel without the consent of the client else he will be liable for violation of privacy

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by nlPoster: 11:46am On Jan 08, 2020
A pregnancy test is probably routine if pregnancy has to be ruled out before commencing treatment and might have been included in the consent form signed by the couple.

When a woman of child bearing age is sick and with certain symptoms, one of the first things you think of is pregnancy until proven otherwise.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by Amanee(f): 12:17pm On Jan 08, 2020
I'm not a doctor but I think that for a doctor to get the full picture of what ails the patient, a battery of tests should be done.

Not doing this is tantamount to working blind.

But most Nigerians are used to self medication because I don't know why you'll go to a hospital and tell a doctor to give you drugs for an illness you may or may not have.

Pregnancy test should even be done because some of these drugs are not good for pregnant women.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by nlPoster: 12:19pm On Jan 08, 2020
Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by bukatyne(f): 1:56pm On Jan 08, 2020
yazga:
No. It's unprofessional. They are to suggest that to the couple and if they agree, then they can go ahead. No investigation should be carried out by any medical personnel without the consent of the client else he will be liable for violation of privacy

Really?

It is the duty of the doctor to carry out a diagnosis on the patient which is not limited to full blood work.

If a patient knows the problem, he/she should not bother going to the hospital. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by bukatyne(f): 1:56pm On Jan 08, 2020
Amanee:
I'm not a doctor but I think that for a doctor to get the full picture of what ails the patient, a battery of tests should be done.

Not doing this is tantamount to working blind.

But most Nigerians are used to self medication because I don't know why you'll go to a hospital and tell a doctor to give you drugs for an illness you may or may not have.

Pregnancy test should even be done because some of these drugs are not good for pregnant women.

@bold:

Very true.

6 Likes

Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by nams77: 3:28pm On Jan 08, 2020
Nothing wrong. If he suspect pregnancy to be the cause of the symptoms, then he can conduct a test to rule out or confirm.
Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by nlPoster: 3:47pm On Jan 08, 2020
Nigerians do self diagnose and ask the doctor for specific medicines, I guess its not that unusual.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by cococandy(f): 4:24pm On Jan 08, 2020
The doctor is supposed to explain to the patient/s what she suspects to be the possible cause/s of the symptoms. The patient then gives the doctor the permission to carry out the tests and treatments where applicable. Remember the bill is going to be paid by the patient. You don’t carry out tests willy nilly as if you will be the one to pay.

There’s something called autonomy. And it’s the cardinal rule in medicine. The patient has autonomy over their own care. If they don’t agree to any test, then you don’t proceed with it. However YOU HAVE TO educate them on the importance and risks versus benefits of compliance. If the patient is an adult and deemed capable of making their own decisions, then the patient’s decisions will be followed.

This doesn’t apply in the case of a mentally deficient patient or a minor. Or in a case where the patient poses a contagious/infectious risk to others around them.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by thorpido(m): 5:21pm On Jan 08, 2020
cococandy:
The doctor is supposed to explain to the patient/s what she suspects to be the possible cause/s of the symptoms. The patient then gives the doctor the permission to carry out the tests and treatments where applicable. Remember the bill is going to be paid by the patient. You don’t carry out tests willy nilly as if you will be the one to pay.

There’s something called autonomy. And it’s the cardinal rule in medicine. The patient has autonomy over their own care. If they don’t agree to any test, then you don’t proceed with it. However YOU HAVE TO educate them on the importance and risks versus benefits of compliance. If the patient is an adult and deemed capable of making their own decisions, then the patience decisions will be followed.

This doesn’t apply in the case of a mentally deficient patient or a minor. Or in a case where the patient poses a contagious/infectious risk to others around them.
Well said
The doctor wants to run tests but will inform the patient and obtain consent.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by cococandy(f): 5:39pm On Jan 08, 2020
Yes and usually most right-thinking patients will comply once adequate education is provided.

thorpido:
Well said
The doctor wants to run tests but will inform the patient and obtain consent.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:25pm On Jan 08, 2020
- did the doctor charge you for pregnancy test?
- who paid for the test?
- whats the problem exactly, if pregnancy test is done, dont you actually wanna know the source of your ailment?
- what are you trying to hide?

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by frozen70(f): 9:01pm On Jan 08, 2020
IyaTola:
I want to ask please, but there is something that made me raise an eyebrow. When a man gets to the hospital/lab to run a malaria test on his sick wife, they asked for malaria test only, is it right for the doctor to do pregnancy test on the woman without the couples authorization?

Well it depends on the woman's complaints

If she us ohmf child bearing age or can't really remember her last cycle, such test would be carried anyway if they are couples

May be both if them ate not even sure if what is wrong with the wife

When I was complaining of sickness to my doctor, after every drugs given nothing worked I went back, he subjected me to another test and added hiv test without my knowledge

When it came back negative and I asked him why he did it without my consent, he said he was tired of my complaints and needed to go further

After that, he kept me on admission, no drugs just food and and sleep for one week and I came out fit

I later found out that I needed rest from stress
Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by yazga: 2:17pm On Jan 10, 2020
undecided
bukatyne:

Really?

It is the duty of the doctor to carry out a diagnosis on the patient which is not limited to full blood work.

If a patient knows the problem, he/she should not bother going to the hospital. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by SilvaBullet: 5:58pm On Jan 10, 2020
lavylilly:
why?The problem is that non medical persons go to the hospital to tell a professional what to do.
When you go to the hospital , you're not to request for any test rather it's the doctor's prerogative to recommend tests based on your case history, signs and symptoms you present with.

A well-trained doctor will run a series of tests when a patient presents symptons he/she can't easily diagnose, only telling the patient or handler (where the patient is indiposed)
1., because there is cost involved, and
2. If the results present something different from what the patient thinks is wrong.
There is no law broken here. And to the best of my knowledge, there is no requirement to tell or ask a patient before a test is done.
Doctors don't have to ask or inform a patient before any test is carried out on a patient who presents himself/herself for treatment.

What if the patient is unconscious? What if s/he is an emergency case?
I went to donate blood a couple of months back. No one told me my blood pressure would be checked and a series of tests, including hepatitis and HIV tests, would be conducted.
But they did conduct those tests and only told AFTER I had given the blood, and I questioned why no screening of the blood was done.
And in this scenario here, however, are you sure the husband himself didn't ask for the pregnancy test to be done, perhaps after suspecting his wife may actually be showing pregnancy symptons?

Seems to me you're comfortable with unprofessional conduct with most doctors who know nothing about the ethics guiding doctor / patient relationship.

The patient has a right to know what tests are to be conducted on him or her and what the implications if any might arise as a result. Patients are not lab rats.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by lavylilly: 6:37am On Jan 12, 2020
SilvaBullet:

Seems to me you're comfortable with unprofessional conduct with most doctors who know nothing about the ethics guiding doctor / patient relationship.

The patient has a right to know what tests are to be conducted on him or her and what the implications if any might arise as a result. Patients are not lab rats.
ehn?!
Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by yeyeosoronga: 7:01am On Jan 12, 2020
IyaTola:

Any particular reason why the couple asked for only malaria test to be done?
Is it because of costs? You don't need blood tests to treat malaria. They should have just gone to a chemist to buy anti malarial.
However, if after treating malaria, and her symptoms still persist, why insisting on only malaria tests, when it's unlikely to be malaria?
Anyway, she should have been told about the tests to be carried out on her especially when she has mentioned she only wants malaria test (unless of course she doesn't mention she wants ONLY malaria tests)
About suing such a case, it's probably dead on arrival because if you know you have malaria, what are you doing at the Drs office when malaria drugs are over the counter?
Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by yeyeosoronga: 7:12am On Jan 12, 2020
lavylilly:

What do you mean nobody told you blood pressure would be checked when you gave them your hand (by yourself) for the blood pressure to be taken? cheesy
You also gave them your hand to have a needle stuck in it for bloods to be taken. What did you think they were going to do with the blood taken? cheesy
Obviously to check if you were a suitable donor cheesy cheesy
You're not a patient in this particular example you gave btw.
You were simply a donor, and they would just follow laid down blood donation protocol.
However , if you were inquisitive enough to ask why they're taking your bloods, they would probably tell you it's for certain tests including HIV, blood group etc.
Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by Juliearth(f): 7:58am On Jan 12, 2020
IyaTola:

Its the doctor's job to save lives. In order to get to the root of a problem (diagnosis), doctors are permitted to run all tests.
Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by lahizak: 10:38am On Jan 12, 2020
cococandy:

There’s something called autonomy. And it’s the cardinal rule in medicine. The patient has autonomy over their own care. If they don’t agree to any test, then you don’t proceed with it. However YOU HAVE TO educate them on the importance and risks versus benefits of compliance. If the patient is an adult and deemed capable of making their own decisions, then the patient’s decisions will be followed.

U are partly wrong. A doctor is a professional. When you come in for a malaria test, d doctor will not just take ur word 4 it, for example u might think u av malaria and end up aving sumtin else. So the doctor will conduct a test and during the test, the lab result will show the causes of the malaria or wat u tot to be d malaria, if the test shows that the malaria is as a result of pregnancy, den d doctor will inform u but if the malaria have nothing to do with pregnancy den the doctor wont say anything about pregnancy.
Just imagine in this kind situation, d doctor just do malaria test and he ended up giving u drugs not knowing u re pregnant and d drugs end up affrcting the baby, wat do u tink will happen? Note that there are some malaria drugs dat a pregnant woman cant use

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by cococandy(f): 12:02pm On Jan 12, 2020
lahizak:

U are partly wrong. A doctor is a professional. When you come in for a malaria test, d doctor will not just take ur word 4 it, for example u might think u av malaria and end up aving sumtin else. So the doctor will conduct a test and during the test, the lab result will show the causes of the malaria or wat u tot to be d malaria, if the test shows that the malaria is as a result of pregnancy, den d doctor will inform u but if the malaria have nothing to do with pregnancy den the doctor wont say anything about pregnancy.
Just imagine in this kind situation, d doctor just do malaria test and he ended up giving u drugs not knowing u re pregnant and d drugs end up affrcting the baby, wat do u tink will happen? Note that there are some malaria drugs dat a pregnant woman cant use
Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by ImaIma1(f): 12:40pm On Jan 12, 2020
I think it's routine when the lady is married. They might think it's malaria or typhoid meanwhile it's natural symptoms of pregnancy.

Besides, if they do only malaria and it's positive, doing pregnancy test would make him know the drug to prescribe. Not all drugs go well with pregnancy. Supposing he doesn't check for malaria, he prescribes drugs and she has a miscarriage, won't you say he should have tested for pregnancy?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by nlPoster: 2:32am On Jan 13, 2020
OP update?

Is a visa application involved?
Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:02pm On Jan 13, 2020
lahizak:

you are wrong in such situation the doctor wont do the pregnant test based on the medicine that they might give you but they ask you if you are pregnant or suspect to be pregnant, if yes then they give you an alternative medicine

a good clear example if am allergic to penicillin, the doctor doesnt do a penicillin allerg test but give me an alternative drug
Re: Is It Right For The Doctor To Do Pregnancy Test On The Woman Without The Couples by Curiouscity(m): 10:00pm On Jan 13, 2020
This is what you get when the government has refused to do its job, leaving citizens to provide everything for themselves. Medical practice is universal, why is it too difficult in Nigeria?

Too many wrong information flying up and down here, even from supposed professionals.

A doctor can order for any test to help him/her diagnose and treat the patient properly. But, sadly, in Nigeria the patient pays for every test. Otherwise, the patient consent is only required for certain procedures, mostly invasive ones, not routine tests like PT, basic blood analysis.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bibilical Gender Roles / I Love Sex So Much But My Wife Doesn't. She Doesn't Care. Is It an Issue? / I Need Your Opinion. True Life Story.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.