Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,397 members, 7,901,084 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 11:00 PM

World War And Nuclear Bomn: The Greatest Mistake Of Albert Einstein - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / World War And Nuclear Bomn: The Greatest Mistake Of Albert Einstein (305 Views)

Cuba Confirms Arrival Of 3 Russian Ships And Nuclear Submarine near US Border / US Is Committed To Using Conventional And Nuclear Weapons To Deter And Defend So / ISIS Praises Ukraine War And Says It Hopes It Will Destroy 'Enemies Of Islam' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

World War And Nuclear Bomn: The Greatest Mistake Of Albert Einstein by DenreleDave(m): 10:27am On Jan 11, 2020
On August 2, 1939, one month before the outbreak of World War II, Albert Einstein, the famous German-born physicist, signed a two-page letter to US President Franklin D. Roosevelt that would help bring the US into the nuclear arms race and change the course of history.

Einstein was already in the US, having fled Germany when the Nazis came to power, and learned that German scientists had discovered nuclear fission, the process of splitting an atom's nucleus to release energy.

The letter warned Roosevelt that "extremely powerful bombs of a new type" could be created in light of this discovery — and that these bombs would be capable of destroying entire ports and their surrounding areas.

While Einstein later said he felt he had no choice but to encourage the US to develop the technology, he called the letter his "one great mistake," having learned that Germany was never close to developing atomic bombs.

Einstein's letter to President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Atomic Heritage Foundation
Einstein's warnings were read to Roosevelt by a man named Alexander Sachs, who also read out other warnings about such a bomb to the president, The New York Times reported at the time .
Roosevelt said, "Alex, what you are after is to see that the Nazis don't blow us up."
Sachs responded with a single word: "Precisely."
Roosevelt then called in his secretary and told him that "this requires action."

And Einstein never gave any details about how that energy could be harnessed, once saying : "I do not consider myself the father of the release of atomic energy. My part in it was quite indirect."

The atomic bombing of Hiroshima, Japan, on August 6, 1945, left a huge expanse of ruin. AP
Nazi Germany never succeeded in making nuclear weapons — and it seemed it never really tried .
Einstein was not involved in the bomb's creation. He was not allowed to work on the Manhattan Project — he was deemed too big a security risk , as he was both German and had been known as a left-leaning political activist.
But when he heard that the bomb had been used in Japan, he said , "Woe is me."
Einstein later said , "Had I known that the Germans would not succeed in developing an atomic bomb, I would have done nothing for the bomb."

Cc: Lalasticala abeg carry go promise land and let people learn
Re: World War And Nuclear Bomn: The Greatest Mistake Of Albert Einstein by Nobody: 10:33am On Jan 11, 2020
"War War War War War" cry all this will be put to end when Imes come..his coming will bring joy and peace to the whole world. He who have ears let him/her hear.

Imes,we await your coming.
Re: World War And Nuclear Bomn: The Greatest Mistake Of Albert Einstein by kunleweb: 10:36am On Jan 11, 2020
Albert Einstein didn't create nuclear bomb nor the events that led to it despite being ascribed as the father of nuclear physics.
Re: World War And Nuclear Bomn: The Greatest Mistake Of Albert Einstein by popsy2(m): 10:41am On Jan 11, 2020
Let my great grand father rest in peace.
Re: World War And Nuclear Bomn: The Greatest Mistake Of Albert Einstein by Sanquine(m): 10:44am On Jan 11, 2020
TheRealProphet:
"War War War War War" cry all this will be put to end when Imes come..his coming will bring joy and peace to the whole world. He who have ears let him/her hear.

Imes,we await your coming.
What is Imes??

1 Like

Re: World War And Nuclear Bomn: The Greatest Mistake Of Albert Einstein by Nobody: 11:15am On Jan 11, 2020
The only thing that I have to say is no human being is complete. That you know so much about physics doesn't mean that you can read other peoples minds.

The funny thing is that CIA monitored him throughout his stay and it because they don't trust him, but he trusted America so much that he gave them the keys to one of the deadliest weapon on Earth.

(1) (Reply)

50 US Troops Diagnosed With Brain Injuries After Iran Missile Attack / Hong Kong To Give Big Cash Handouts As Economy Reels From Virus / #saudi Media: #explosion Heard In Saudi Capital #riyadh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.