Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,499 members, 7,892,043 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 July 2024 at 04:37 AM

More Rift On Amotekun As Kano Mulls Community Policing - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / More Rift On Amotekun As Kano Mulls Community Policing (970 Views)

Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency / Tinubu Breaks Silence On Amotekun , Says Amotekun Not Threat To National Unity / Soyinka Slams Musa Balarabe Over Comment On Amotekun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

More Rift On Amotekun As Kano Mulls Community Policing by DNSPro: 9:21am On Jan 14, 2020

A former aide to President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday faulted last week’s launch of Amotekun, the regional security outfit floated by southwest state governments.

“The creation of Amotekun is an attempt to divide our security and I am calling on the Federal Government to disband the establishment,” warned Abdulrahman Sulaiman Kawu Sumaila, a former special assistant to Buhari on House of Representative’s affairs.

A three-term member of the House of Representatives (Sumaila Federal Constituency, Kano State), the ex-lawmaker disclosed at a press conference yesterday that the development could destabilise the region’s security architecture and compromise national stability.

“Such an outfit would only aggravate the situation at hand. It will enhance ethnicity and disunity among Nigerians. It will not add any value to the quest for addressing insecurity challenges. We all know the importance of traditional institutions and the role they have been playing in the area of security. Therefore, if the government can support these institutions, I have no doubt that things will change for better,” said Sumaila.

He said further: “Such security outfits could be used to harass people from other regions. There are many northerners conducting businesses in the southern part of the country. There are also southerners doing businesses in the north. There is every tendency that such outfits could be used to harass northerners residing in the south and vice versa. So, the formation of regional security outfits would rather divide Nigeria than unite us.”

The ex-lawmaker recalled past public complaints about the alleged excesses of the Oodua Peoples Congress (OPC) and urged the governors to support conventional security organisations rather than set up new platforms.

But speaking in defence of the regional outfit, the Ekiti State chapter of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) argued that the governors had merely exercised their power to protect life and property.

Quoting from the constitution, NBA Chairman Samuel Falade said: “Chapter 2, Section 14 (2b) gives mandate and rights to the president and governors to provide security across the country and in their respective states. Also, Section 20 of the Administration of Criminal Justice allows a private citizen to arrest any criminal and hand him over to the police for investigation and prosecution. Under this context, operatives of Operation Amotekun can arrest and hand people over to the police for proper action.”

Similarly, Ohanaeze Ndigbo Youth Council (OYC) berated the Northern Youth Council of Nigeria for kicking against the outfit.

OYC National President Mazi Okechukwu Isiguzoro noted in a statement yesterday that only persons benefiting from insecurity in the southern part of the country would oppose the regional body. He went on to advocate the creation of a southeast equivalent of Amotekun, which he named Operation Ogbunigwe.

Besides, a former Oyo State Deputy Governor Chief Hazeem Gbolarumi told The Guardian in an interview: “It is totally wrong for anyone to give Amotekun any ethnic coloration or suggest that it may be targeted at any group of people. It is clearly a move to provide adequate security for the life and property of all Nigerians and foreigners resident within the southwest region.”

He added: “The people who are the workforce in Operation Amotekun are people who live among us. We know ourselves and understand the terrain within each community. So, their job is to complement the mainstream security outfits in Nigeria. The agitation Amotekun is generating is absolutely unwarranted, uncalled for, and unacceptable because we are all Nigerians and our brothers’ keepers, regardless of ethnicity or religion.”

Also, Alhaji Tajudeen Quadri, Lagos State Chairman, Community Development Advisory Council (CDAC), told the News Ag
ency of Nigeria (NAN) that the move is good for the region.

According to him, “The number of policemen now cannot cover the states and the various communities. The police cannot take care of crime nowadays. Therefore, for governors to come together to form the security outfit is a welcome development.”

Meanwhile, the Kano State government could soon explore community policing with a view to complementing the federal security architecture.

This was as the state executive council at the weekend approved a security summit aimed at ventilating ideas on the implementation of a new security network at the community level.

Briefing journalists, Commissioner for Information Muhammad Garba also said the state government recently procured high-tech security trackers worth N500 million installed at the police headquarters in Kano, to curb the activities of kidnappers, cattle rustlers and other criminals.

Source: https://guardian.ng/news/more-rift-on-amotekun-as-kano-mulls-community-policing/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&Echobox=1578930453

Simplyeo, Yarimo(I doubt this one is Yoruba cos I caught him one time supporting RUGA which is unexpected from a Southerner), LegendHero, YorubaVanguard, YorubaLegend, BuhariAdvocate and a host of others who think Igbos hate yoruba should come and read what those they claim love them has been spewing since the creation of Amotekun. It is on record now that various factions of the Northern rule have been kicking against this idea.

And on the other side, Igbos have applauded it, EVEN the IPOB you all hate so much came out verbally to applaud the move while blasting South East leaders.

So, who is hating who now? Someone who hate you will not support something that will protect your life, will he?

We may speak from the point of anger (so much we are calling children of hate) but we would not support anything that will hinder your progress. That is not hate!

Yet, the igbos are the enemy. I do hope that one day, you all in the South will understand igbos for whom they are. Have a blessed week.

2 Likes

Re: More Rift On Amotekun As Kano Mulls Community Policing by agwom(m): 9:23am On Jan 14, 2020
good one

1 Like

Re: More Rift On Amotekun As Kano Mulls Community Policing by HallaDaTruth: 9:30am On Jan 14, 2020
Ok
Re: More Rift On Amotekun As Kano Mulls Community Policing by StaffofOrayan(m): 9:52am On Jan 14, 2020
I hope Yoruba's can see their enemies
They can't even hide it!

1 Like

Re: More Rift On Amotekun As Kano Mulls Community Policing by Nobody: 9:56am On Jan 14, 2020
No problem but hisbah should also be disbanded first

1 Like

Re: More Rift On Amotekun As Kano Mulls Community Policing by DNSPro: 10:18am On Jan 14, 2020
StaffofOrayan:
They can't even hide it!
That is the point bro.
Re: More Rift On Amotekun As Kano Mulls Community Policing by CharlotteFlair: 10:19am On Jan 14, 2020
StaffofOrayan:
They can't even hide it!
They have never hidden, and that's the problem because they are playing God.
Re: More Rift On Amotekun As Kano Mulls Community Policing by delpee(f): 10:37am On Jan 14, 2020
So what's Hisbah? Is it not community policing funded by Kano State Government and affecting lives of all Kano residents?

Before people start saying its only for Muslims, we should note that bottles of beer are seized and destroyed irrespective of the owner or consumer (VAT on alcohol is acceptable though).
Re: More Rift On Amotekun As Kano Mulls Community Policing by sweetonugbu: 10:40am On Jan 14, 2020
One Nigeria
Re: More Rift On Amotekun As Kano Mulls Community Policing by DaBullIT(m): 11:09am On Jan 14, 2020
these ones are irrelevant
Re: More Rift On Amotekun As Kano Mulls Community Policing by Iamgrey5(m): 11:25am On Jan 14, 2020
cheesy

Guardian should ask the opinion of goats on the streets of Kano about the new security outfit in the South west if they so desire.

The people that matter are not falling for Ipob antics. grin

Re: More Rift On Amotekun As Kano Mulls Community Policing by LegendHero(m): 1:07pm On Jan 14, 2020
DNSPro:

Simplyeo, Yarimo(I doubt this one is Yoruba cos I caught him one time supporting RUGA which is unexpected from a Southerner), LegendHero, YorubaVanguard, YorubaLegend, BuhariAdvocate and a host of others who think Igbos hate yoruba should come and read what those they claim love them has been spewing since the creation of Amotekun. It is on record now that various factions of the Northern rule have been kicking against this idea.

And on the other side, Igbos have applauded it, EVEN the IPOB you all hate so much came out verbally to applaud the move while blasting South East leaders.

So, who is hating who now? Someone who hate you will not support something that will protect your life, will he?

We may speak from the point of anger (so much we are calling children of hate) but we would not support anything that will hinder your progress. That is not hate!

Yet, the igbos are the enemy. I do hope that one day, you all in the South will understand igbos for whom they are. Have a blessed week.

Nigeria matter don tire me finally. But I got your point.

1 Like

Re: More Rift On Amotekun As Kano Mulls Community Policing by DNSPro: 1:12pm On Jan 14, 2020
LegendHero:

Nigeria matter don tire me finally. But I got your point.
bros, na so e b o.

1 Like

Re: More Rift On Amotekun As Kano Mulls Community Policing by BuhariAdvocate: 3:27pm On Jan 14, 2020
That's his opinion though. But when one igbo speak trust me he/she spoke what average igbo will speak.
Re: More Rift On Amotekun As Kano Mulls Community Policing by DNSPro: 9:26pm On Jan 14, 2020
BuhariAdvocate:
That's his opinion though. But when one igbo speak trust me he/she spoke what average igbo will speak.
clown

Re: More Rift On Amotekun As Kano Mulls Community Policing by agadez007(m): 9:34pm On Jan 14, 2020
what would they now do with the second hand pick up trucks they bought for this illegal operation?

Re: More Rift On Amotekun As Kano Mulls Community Policing by Subzero047: 9:54pm On Jan 14, 2020
BuhariAdvocate:

You must find a way to put Igbo abi?
Re: More Rift On Amotekun As Kano Mulls Community Policing by updatechange(m): 10:01pm On Jan 14, 2020
Every tribe from other regions are warned to stir clear off SW whenever they intend to carry out their criminal activities... whether igbo, hausa or any other tribes.
grin

(1) (Reply)

Why Northern Emirs Like VP Osinbajo / Nigeria Armed Forces Destroys ISWAP Camp At Northern Borno / Kanu-how Kemi Olunloyo Was Sully & Impregnated By Her Father-tokunbo Aboderin!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.