Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,324 members, 7,888,026 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 05:47 PM

Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? (6457 Views)

FIFA Ballon D'or 2014 Awards On 12th January 2014 / Andres Iniesta 2012 UEFA Best Player / Messi,Xavi,Christiano Ronaldo And Others Shortlisted For Fifa Ballon D’or 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by cougar1: 2:13am On Dec 09, 2010
Ibime:

@ Cougar,

Save the stories. I can show you Fabregas pass from two weeks ago better than any nonsense you just posted there. We dealt with Inter-Chelsea game severally at the time. There's nothing genius about playing through passes against Chelseas high line of defence. Even Nedum Onuoha can break through such high line. Sneijder should try that shyt with ten men behind the ball. . .cos that's exactly what Fabregas did in World Cup final after Sneijder and the rest had spent 120 min huffing and puffing, Fabregas just came in and blew the house down. AND DONT EVER COMPARE SNEIJDER AND FABREGAS WHEN IT COMES TO ASSISTS. All this one you dey show us na one of mere handful of assists that Sneider cops. Fabregas cops 20 assists year in, year out.

and yet these assists are not enough to win arsenal the carling cup or community shield for 6 seasons? i bow for cesc's 20 assists per season cos it equates to trophyless campaigns. i'd rather have a player who knows the stage to shine. sneijder's assists eliminated chelsea, bayern and barclona. three european champions of their respective leagues that season. that is worth more in gold than copping 30 assists against hapless teams like west ham, slavia prague and middlesboro.  grin
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by Ibime(m): 2:17am On Dec 09, 2010
Any assist Sneijder copped against a big team is simply a function of JM waiting for the other team to attack, leaving loads of space for Sneijder to ping the ball into.

You can analyse every single assist he made against those teams and its obvious the opposition defence was on the halfway line. If you know anything about football, you know that's the easiest pass in the world.

Sneijder is getting too much credit for JMs tactical set up.
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by Ibime(m): 2:20am On Dec 09, 2010
If you wanna impress me, break down ten men behind the ball. That's where we seperate the men from the boys.

At the same time UCL teams were playing into Inters hands, every Tom, Dick and Harry in Serie A was beating them cos Sneijder could not break down packed defences, sotay Roma came back from nearly 20 points behind and almost stole the title.
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by cougar1: 2:25am On Dec 09, 2010
Ibime:

Any assist Sneijder copped against a big team is simply a function of JM waiting for the other team to attack, leaving loads of space for Sneijder to ping the ball into.

You can analyse every single assist he made against those teams and its obvious the opposition defence was on the halfway line. If you know anything about football, you know that's the easiest pass in the world.

Sneijder is getting too much credit for JMs tactical set up.

and the ones he copped in the world cup were mourinho's tactics too? watch the one he pinged to robben in the video again! the last player to use that technique was maradona himself. in the final against spain, he pinged the same pass twice but robben developed cold feet and those passes were good enough to have won holland the final until they got a man sent off and spain capitalized on playing against 10 men.

Ibime:

If you wanna impress me, break down ten men behind the ball. That's where we seperate the men from the boys.

At the same time UCL teams were playing into Inters hands, every Tom, manliness and Harry in Serie A was beating them cos Sneijder could not break down packed defences, sotay Roma came back from nearly 20 points behind and almost stole the title.

all these ones are stories. sneijder won the treble beating european giants on their road to winning the treble with sneijder being the pivot. he didn't stop there, he took his brilliance to the world cup and his team lost narrowly after heitinga got sent off. holland went through the qualifiers with a 100% record and the only game they lost in the world cup was the final - abeg, sneijder is a midfield general.
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by Ibime(m): 2:40am On Dec 09, 2010
Sneijder is a midfield general, but Fabregas is one of only three field marshalls in the game today along with Messrs Xavi and Iniesta.
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by dammytex: 11:32am On Dec 09, 2010
Is this thread about Schneider vs Fabregas?
It is about who wins the Ballon d'or. Okay, we've heard you all. Schneider is supposed to be on the list but doesn't deserve to win. Its simple, just have in your own head that Schneider was nominated in the last 3. It doesn't matter if he doesn't win anyway.

Or are you saying Schneider should win ahead of Xavi and Messi?
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by chic2pimp(m): 10:38pm On Dec 09, 2010
Ibime:

Sneijder is a midfield general, but Fabregas is one of only three field marshalls in the game today along with Messrs Xavi and Iniesta.
Fabregas ke? . . . . . . Abeg the only Field Marshall in today's game is Xavi. Wetin Fab dey find for that list?
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by Ibime(m): 11:14pm On Dec 09, 2010
Xavi is a 5 star field Marshall. Iniesta and Fabregas are still on 3 stars.
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by MrTA(m): 9:27am On Dec 10, 2010
Iniesta > Fabregas
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by folahann(m): 5:27pm On Dec 10, 2010
If you ask me who among Xavi, Messi and Iniesta will win best footballer, i will tell you Sneijder will win.
Shame on FIFA for not putting Sneijder on that list. He is the best Footballer in the world in 2010; club and country
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by dammytex: 6:28pm On Dec 10, 2010
Mr Folahan,
2010 calendar year does not end after the world cup. Schneider's outstanding performance ended after the world cup. Unfortunately his performance at the world cup could not earn him a world cup winning medal. Diego Forlan's individual performance outclassed Schneider's if we won't deceive ourselves. should we now say Diego Forlan should be the world footballer of the year. For 5 months now, Schneider has been under-performing and that's why his team currently lies in the 5th position in the serie A. Obviously he benefited immensely from Mourinho style of coaching, which we all know is exceptional.
My point is; there is a player that has consistently shown outstanding top-class performance throughout  2010. He won the league with a record 99 point in 2010 (in continuation to the 6 trophies won in 2009), he won the highest ranking footballing event, the FIFA world cup in this same 2010. He didn't stop there, he inspired his Barca team into a 5-nil victory by defeating the best-playing team in Europe (and the best acclaimed coach), Real Madrid as at then. In fact, he started the goal feast. Right now, his team, with his help, sits on top of the la liga table after finishing atop group D in the UCL. This player should win the award.
so, the Ballon d'or is for the best player in 2010 and not for the best player in midway 2010. Moreover, Schneider is not a world cup winner and this is a world cup year.
conclusivey, this brings to the question of who the cap fits: XAVI HERNANDEZ CREUS,

All hail the king.

if you care for more, check this on wikipedia about Xavi's 2010 world cup performance;

During the summer of 2010, Xavi's work as a playmaker was a factor in Spain's successful campaign for their first ever World Cup title. The veteran midfielder finished with a stellar 89% percent pass completion rate over the course of the tournament, completing 599 passes out of 669 passes attempted over all of Spain's 7 games.[7]  The sheer volume of Xavi's passing was impressive: among all players, even those who reached the final or the 3rd place match, Xavi led the field in passes attempted, passes completed, corners attempted (47), corners completed (26), and deliveries in the penalty area (15).[8]  Xavi was the only player to have attempted over 600 passes in the tournament, and likewise the only one to have completed at least 500 passes. His total of 669 passes attempted was 104 more than the next most prolific passer in the World Cup that year, Germany's Bastian Schweinsteiger. These numbers stand as a statistical testament to both Xavi's passing prowess and Spain's reliance on him to distribute the ball.
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by dayokanu(m): 6:56pm On Dec 10, 2010
^^ How long did Ronaldo Lima show consistent performance in 2002 to win all the awards
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by dammytex: 7:00pm On Dec 10, 2010
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by dayokanu(m): 7:13pm On Dec 10, 2010
The article you quoted couldnt even find a sensible reason for Iniesta being ahead of Sneijder yet you flaunt it here.

Who on this thread has said Sneijder deserves to win, Not me, My point is he deserves to make top 3 ahead of Iniesta.

Any counter argument to that?
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by dammytex: 7:37pm On Dec 10, 2010
Dayo, check the link properly. the writer rates Schneider ahead of Iniesta clearly. He/She actually condemns selecting Iniesta ahead of Schneider.
The link is not for you that already believe Schneider should not win. It is simply for people like Folahan that thinks Schneider is all in all.
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by MrTA(m): 1:57am On Dec 11, 2010
Im pretty sure everyone here(atleast most people) thinks Sneijder should be top 3, not necessarily a winner of the title.
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by folahann(m): 7:39pm On Dec 11, 2010
@Dammytex
If Xavi wins it, that won't be a problem but for Sneijder not to be on the list is a disaster. I'm laying more emphasis on Sneijder's omission from that list. And if he had been nominated and wins it, it wouldn't have raised any eyebrows.

It's a world cup year and so what? Is there no award for World Cup best player? I know world cup performance is considered more, yet Sneijder was one of the top performers in the World Cup.

dammytex:

2010 calendar year does not end after the world cup. Schneider's outstanding performance ended after the world cup. Unfortunately his performance at the world cup could not earn him a world cup winning medal. Diego Forlan's individual performance outclassed Schneider's if we won't deceive ourselves. should we now say Diego Forlan should be the world footballer of the year. For 5 months now, Schneider has been under-performing and that's why his team currently lies in the 5th position in the serie A. Obviously he benefited immensely from Mourinho style of coaching, which we all know is exceptional.
My point is; there is a player that has consistently shown outstanding top-class performance throughout  2010. He won the league with a record 99 point in 2010[b] (in continuation to the 6 trophies won in 2009)[/b], he won the highest ranking footballing event, the FIFA world cup in this same 2010. He didn't stop there, he inspired his Barca team into a 5-nil victory by defeating the best-playing team in Europe (and the best acclaimed coach), Real Madrid as at then. In fact, he started the goal feast. Right now, his team, with his help, sits on top of the la liga table after finishing atop group D in the UCL. This player should win the award.
so, the Ballon d'or is for the best player in 2010 and not for the best player in midway 2010. Moreover, Schneider is not a world cup winner and this is a world cup year.
conclusivey, this brings to the question of who the cap fits: XAVI HERNANDEZ CREUS,
For the first and second bold statements, so how did Cannavaro's case come about in 2006 (what did he do before and after the world cup) how much consistency is that? Not forgetting Ronaldo of 2002 and what accounted for Zidane's nomination in 2006

For the third bold statement, i never knew performance of previous years is still considered in the year of award.

I'm not saying Sneijder is all in all but for a player who performed well and took his team to world cup final after winning champions league with his club the same year, world best nomination would have just been enough, winning the ultimate prize wouldn't have been too much.

I'm sure you also support Diego Milito's omission from the 30-man list. Just wait and see FIFA give the award to Messi and you will know FIFA is wonderful.
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by folahann(m): 7:45pm On Dec 11, 2010
And I just found this
dammytex:

Is this thread about Schneider vs Fabregas?
It is about who wins the Ballon d'or. Okay, we've heard you all. Schneider is supposed to be on the list but doesn't deserve to win. Its simple, just have in your own head that Schneider was nominated in the last 3. It doesn't matter if he doesn't win anyway.

Or are you saying Schneider should win ahead of Xavi and[b] Messi?[/b]
Come On! how on earth does Messi deserve this award more than Sneijder? Don't even bring that.
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by chic2pimp(m): 8:40pm On Dec 11, 2010
folahann:

It's a world cup year and so what? Is there no award for World Cup best player? I know world cup performance is considered more, yet Sneijder was one of the top performers in the World Cup.
For the first and second bold statements, so how did Cannavaro's case come about in 2006 (what did he do before and after the world cup) how much consistency is that? Not forgetting Ronaldo of 2002 and what accounted for Zidane's nomination in 2006
Canna actually won the Serie A best footballer award in 2006 and was the best defender in Serie A for two if not three years running(not forgetting he's been one of the world's best defenders for the best part of a decade). Also when Madrid won the title in 2007, 33 going on 34 year old Canna was their bes defender that season.
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by medjai(m): 9:59pm On Dec 11, 2010
folahann:

And I just found thisCome On! how on earth does Messi deserve this award more than Sneijder? Don't even bring that.

of course, Messi deserves the award more than Sneijder based on individual performances. He scored 47 goals all through last. He won the golden boot and was champions league's top scorer. If they go by individual performances and not team performances, then the award is Messi's
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by chic2pimp(m): 10:28pm On Dec 11, 2010
^^^^^ How so?
If were going by only league and champions league performance alone, then may be. However if we include Worldcup performances(the most important of em' all) then Hell No.
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by medjai(m): 11:00pm On Dec 11, 2010
I wont say Messi had a bad world cup. I think what is causing all the ructions about Messi's world cup is because he didnt score a goal. I think he did well. He had the highest number of shots on target and made two assists.
Sneijder world cup wasn't so fantastic either. He scored 5 goals, two were aided by deflections - against Brazil and Uruguay. Sneijder had a better world cup? Well, that's because Holland got to the final.
Overall, Sneijder had a better world cup but the gap between his performance at the Mundial and that of Messi isn't so far apart. It might interest you to know that back in Holland, Dirk Kuyt and Robben were seen as the true heroes of the Dutch side. Sneijder's performance was criticised, they said he performed better at Euro 2008
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by Ibime(m): 11:47pm On Dec 11, 2010
Anyone who thinks Sneijder had a better year than Messi needs an injection.

1 Like

Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by chic2pimp(m): 12:14am On Dec 12, 2010
Anyone who thinks Messi had a better year deserves to put in a straitjacket or better still castrated.

medjai:

I wont say Messi had a bad world cup. I think what is causing all the ructions about Messi's world cup is because he didnt score a goal. I think he did well. He had the highest number of shots on target and made two assists.
False!!!!. Messi did indeed have an average worldcup. He disappeared into thin air and was nowhere to be found after the first two rounds of matches.
medjai:

Sneijder world cup wasn't so fantastic either. He scored 5 goals, two were aided by deflections - against Brazil and Uruguay. Sneijder had a better world cup? Well, that's because Holland got to the final.
False again. Sneijder simply had the better worldcup, simple as. Diego Forlan's team  there I say it were lucky to make it as far as they did and yet he was rightly voted as the best player at the Mundial.
medjai:

[size=20pt]Overall, Sneijder had a better world cup[/size] but the gap between his performance at the Mundial and that of Messi isn't so far apart. It might interest you to know that back in Holland, Dirk Kuyt and Robben were seen as the true heroes of the Dutch side. Sneijder's performance was criticised, they said he performed better at Euro 2008
You sef seee am so. Then I guess my job is done,
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by ritchboy(m): 9:42am On Dec 12, 2010
Sneijder needs to give me the contact for his jazz-man. . .
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by iyaomiyeade: 12:55pm On Dec 12, 2010
fifa/uefa shud release their criterial for normination and choosing the best players.they are all comedians
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by iyaomiyeade: 12:57pm On Dec 12, 2010
fifa/uefa shud release their criterial for normination and choosing the best players.they are all comedians
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by ayusco: 1:58pm On Dec 12, 2010
sneijder not being picked is ridiculous in every sense i mean u win ur league and cup,, CL drag ur country to WC finals score 5 goals get picked as one of the tournaments best players and yet not get nominated not to talk of winning WPOTY outright? wonder what the selection commitee were smoking
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by AjanleKoko: 10:11pm On Dec 13, 2010
ayusco:

sneijder not being picked is ridiculous in every sense i mean u win your league and cup,, CL drag your country to WC finals score 5 goals get picked as one of the tournaments best players and yet not get nominated not to talk of winning WPOTY outright? wonder what the selection commitee were smoking

It was not a selection committee. The coaches and players of clubs and national teams all over the world voted. And they chose those three.
Don't blame them.
They had (1) the goleador of Europe, CL top scorer back to back seasons, already leading the pack with 6 goals in CL this season and 22 in all competitions (2) the man responsible for 50% of all passes made in Spain (3) the scorer of the world cup winning goal.
Add that to three 5-0 performances this season, one 8-0 performance, 70 goals in the League after just 15 games, 100% away record so far with an average 3 goals a game, and you can't really blame people for forgetting who Sneijder even is.
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by medjai(m): 11:02pm On Dec 14, 2010
ayusco:

sneijder not being picked is ridiculous in every sense i mean u win your league and cup,, CL drag your country to WC finals score 5 goals get picked as one of the tournaments best players and yet not get nominated not to talk of winning WPOTY outright? wonder what the selection commitee were smoking
Like I earlier said and will continue to say, everyone on the final list of three deserves his place. Sneijder should have been there, but ahead of who? Whose place should he have taken?
Messi is the best player in the world. He proves this week in, week out. He was European Golden Boot winner with 68 points, a whooping 10 points ahead of second placed Drogba. He was Pichichi winner with 34 goals. He was CL's top scorer with 8 goals. He scored 47 goals in all competitions. He went to the world cup though not scoring a goal was still one of the most exciting players at the mundial and was selected amongst the tournament's 10 best players. He played in a deeper role behind Higuain and Tevez and would have had a goal if not that Tevez headed in his well chipped ball that was already on its way into the net. Not a bad world cup if you ask me and IMO, he deserves the award.

Xavi is best midfielder in the world and the genius behind Barca and Spain's passing game. When you see Barca and Spain amassing over 70 - 80% of ball possession, it is because Xavi simply wouldn't let the opposition have the ball. He hardly ever misplaces a pass and gifted with a vision that can simply be described as mythical. He won the league with Barca and also made to CL semi's. He was very instrumental to Spain's truimph at the world cup. He won two man of the match awards and also made two assists. He was also listed among the tournaments best players.

Iniesta played a handful of games for Barca during the course of last season but went to the world cup and shone. Together with Xavi, he ran Spain's midfield and most importantly he scored the world cup winning goal. More often than not, the scorer of a winning goal in a world cup final automatically gets him in the running for the world's best footballer and often goes on to win. Zidane scored twice in the 1998 final and went on to become the world footballer of the year. Was he the best player at the world cup? No. Infact, he was sent off in one of the group games. The other thing he had achieved that season was getting to the CL final with Juventus playing in the midfield where he was overshadowed by Del Pierro. He wasnt as brilliant as the previous season where he came 3rd in the WPOTY awards.
The same thing happened with Ronaldo in 2002. He was the highest goal scorer at world cup, scored the two goals in the final and went on to become the WPOTY despite not starting a single league game. The winning goal in the world cup final is very important.
Sneijder led his team to the treble and was whiskers away from winning the wc? True but was he really the one that led Inter to the treble? Are we forgetting a certain Diego Milito that won Inter the champions league by scoring twice in the final, won Inter the league by scoring the winning goal on the last day when it looked as though Roma had won it and also scored the winner in the Coppa Italia final. Let's not forget that there was also the pair of Lucio and Walter Samuel that made Inter's defence impregnable. Now to the wc, I'll say Sneijder was just there. He was not bad but wasn't exceptional either. He scored 5 goals? Well, one was aided by Felipo Melo and another was another deflection by a Uruguayan.
Truth is Sneijder does not deserve more of a place than any of the players in the running
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by A40(m): 11:13pm On Dec 14, 2010
Any award without Diego Milito in it for last season is a fraud and an aberration to football! The selections these guys make sometimes makes you wonder if they O.D'd on crack
Re: Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? by eldee(m): 2:13am On Dec 15, 2010
Haba . . . I don die, how can anybody in their right mind say Messi's season didn't trash Sneidjer's??
Abi which kain insult be this??

There are some performance that we'll never see in this generation of footie any more, Messi had one of them.
How can someone average almost one goal per match and you're yarning dust about World Cup??
When people do these amazing things, they break conditions like . . . you didn't win the UCL or World Cup.

When last did you see one human being scoring 34 goals in 35 matches?? With assist too??
Walahi, una don crase finish . . . insult.

So you'll openly agree if Sneidjer was nominated ahead of Messi??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Manchester United Vs West Brom (2 - 0) On 29th December 2012 / Special Prayer For Manchester United At Wembley Today / QPR Vs Arsenal (2 - 1) On March 31st 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.