Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,868 members, 7,889,905 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 12:39 AM

8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) (1443 Views)

Evolution Of The Beautiful City Of Dubai In Pictures / 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State / 5 Interesting Things About South Africa Most People Don’t Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by OBALORLA(m): 5:20pm On Jan 15, 2020
You see, my open-mindedness started a couple of years ago when I made up my mind to stop being religious, and I can’t seize to appreciate that conscious move as it has helped me a great deal as a traveler.

On getting to Kano, I couldn’t be more proud of myself as everything that was either supposed to shock/surprise me ended up making every minute I spent worthy of the sacrifice made by traveling almost 1,000 kilometers away from home.

Here are a few things I find surprising about Kano and its people:

1. Kano is as developed as it is local

A lot of people (who mostly haven’t traveled outside their regions of origin) are usually quick to rant about how backward Northern Nigeria is drawing the rest of the regions back simply due to videos and images which are usually denting the image of the region, the same way the western media paints Africa and her people.

Depending on which neighbourhood you see first as a stranger in Kano, you might want to be tempted into the generalization trap- thinking what you’ve seen is how it is everywhere. But you will be making a grave mistake because, just like everywhere else around the world, Kano also is a bonafide member of the double-edged sword, Boasting of some of Nigeria’s finest and shittiest schools, roads, architecture, etc.

All you need to do is move around to have a balanced view of things.

KANO IS THE COMMERCIAL NERVE CENTRE OF NORTHERN NIGERIA AND IS THE SECOND LARGEST CITY IN NIGERIA.

2. Keke Marwa is the major transportation means

While Micra and Korope are respectively the undisputed champions of Ibadan, and Oshogbo, Keke rules supreme on the roads of Kano. Now, this isn’t what got me all cracked up. What I found really interesting is the manner at which the drivers take out time to decorate the interior of their rides. In fact, 8 out of every 10 Keke you encounter will have it’s interior marvelously designed.

Whatever brought about that movement needs to be upheld and celebrated.

3. Overly Conscious Women

In truth, I saw many beautiful women in Kano, many of whom were surprisingly fair and possess interesting physic which would qualify them as impeccable models. The interesting thing, however, is the fact that all through my stay in the state, I only saw 2 ladies who had their hair uncovered. Like this wasn’t the women were so concious about their bodies that they usually use their hands in covering their breasts and bums even after putting on their Hijab.

I really do not know why I find it funny and commendable at the same time.

4. The sharia police are effective

Yes, they are called ‘Hisbah’, and their main duty is to fish out religious criminals. By this I mean Muslim citizens indulging in every immoral act which includes but not limited to the drinking alcohol, inappropriate contact between a male and female, stealing, etc. Why I think I like this initiative is that it exempts citizens who aren’t Muslims. So, If for instance a Christian is caught drinking, no punishment will be melted out on such person when caught by the Hisbah officers.

THE KANO STATE HISBAH CORPS WAS ESTABLISHED BY THE STATE GOVERNMENT IN 2003

5. Religious Laws are weaker in some parts

Remember I said 2 women weren’t covering their heads. Yes, those women lived in Sabon Gari, a very popular neighbourhood which houses folks who came into Kano from other parts of Nigeria, especially the east and south.

“So why is this relevant?” you might be tempted to ask.

The thing is, while you can have access to pubs, bars and even brothels in areas like Sabon Gari, it’s entirely an abomination in other areas such as Badawa, where there are Hisbah police officers lurking around almost every corner, waiting on you to just lose your home training.

6. It’s not just about Mosques

As against what we’ve been made to believe, Kano isn’t just a Muslim affair. In fact, I saw as many churches as mosques within my first 2 hours in the state. On a particular street, I saw 2 churches facing one another, while on a busy major road, I saw a pastor’s billboard and banner hoisted elegantly to the glaring eyes of the public.

“RELIGION IS LIKE A PAIR OF SHOES, FIND ONE THAT FITS FOR YOU, BUT DON’T MAKE ME WEAR YOUR SHOES.”
― GEORGE CARLIN

7. Street Food

Kano has so many street foods than I have ever seen since I started exploring Nigeria, and it’s interesting to note that with as little as N15, you can buy a loaf of bread.

8. Almajiri

Despite the amazing time I had in Kano, I get broken whenever I remember what they all looked like. The closest I’ve been to them was read about them in papers or watch short clips on social media, but I’ve always arrived at one conclusion:

THESE YOUNG BOYS NEVER BEGGED FOR THIS KIND OF LIFE

Originally, Almajiri is someone irrespective of gender who searches for knowledge at home or on transit and display high moral behavior, but I really don’t know who switched things up North to convert these young boys into Mabaraci, which in Hausa refers to a person who begs for assistance on the street or from house to house as a result of some deformity or disability.

Having read this, I’d like to know what you think about Kano in the comment section, whether or not you’ve been there before.

Source: https://nomadicnegro.com/facts-about-kano-nigeria/
Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by phe44u(m): 5:22pm On Jan 15, 2020
Ok
Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by sweetonugbu: 5:26pm On Jan 15, 2020
I think I will visit kano soonest
Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by Asquare84(m): 5:28pm On Jan 15, 2020
Hisbah arrest Christian too, infact the even treat Christian badly than Muslim

1 Like

Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by Realist5: 5:28pm On Jan 15, 2020
The list is actually endless.
You need to see the fly over bridges,
Institutions of learning,
Road networks,
Flashy cars,
Shopping malls,
Population,
Mansions,

And more importantly, there is MONEY in Kano.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by OBALORLA(m): 5:31pm On Jan 15, 2020
Realist5:
The list is actually endless.
You need to see the fly over bridges,
Institutions of learning,
Road networks,
Flashy cars,
Shopping malls,
Population,
Mansions,

And more importantly, there's is MONEY in Kano.

Very correct!
And that was why I made that the first point.
Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by OBALORLA(m): 5:32pm On Jan 15, 2020
Asquare84:
Hisbah arrest Christian too, infact the even treat Christian badly than Muslim

Wow!
I actually didn't wait long enough to experience that though.
Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by OBALORLA(m): 5:32pm On Jan 15, 2020
sweetonugbu:
I think I will visit kano soonest

Please do!
You won't be disappointed.
Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by sweetonugbu: 5:35pm On Jan 15, 2020
OBALORLA:

Please do!
You won't be disappointed.
wonderful work, thanks
Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by Asquare84(m): 5:37pm On Jan 15, 2020
OBALORLA:

Wow!
I actually didn't wait long enough to experience that though.

I have once witness it and doubt if that man will survive cos he was paraded round the street and the youth and hisbah police were shouting allah wagba you know what that means
Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by OBALORLA(m): 5:37pm On Jan 15, 2020
sweetonugbu:
wonderful work, thanks

Thanks for the kind words
Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by OBALORLA(m): 5:38pm On Jan 15, 2020
Asquare84:

I have once witness it and doubt if that man will survive cos he was paraded round the street and the youth and hisbah police were shouting allah wagba you know what that means

Wow.
I really don't know what that means though.

1 Like

Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by Flexherbal(m): 5:48pm On Jan 15, 2020
Taken!
Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by Omihanifa: 6:44pm On Jan 15, 2020
3 things you forgot to add to your list

* Sabon gari has the highest population of brothels in Kano

* Almost all the streets in Kano is filled with maishago and mairuwa

* They love eating golden penny spaghetti grin
Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by OBALORLA(m): 6:57pm On Jan 15, 2020
Omihanifa:

You see this one about golden penny ehn, I figured it out when I searched endlessly for where to buy noodles and was only seeing golden penny in all the shops.
Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by Omihanifa: 7:30pm On Jan 15, 2020
OBALORLA:

You see this one about golden penny ehn, I figured it out when I searched endlessly for where to buy noodles and was only seeing golden penny in all the shops.

Yes nah grin
Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by Dralin(m): 1:42am On Jan 16, 2020
Hahaha its "Allahu Akbar" and it means God is Great. The love about spagetti no be here o.Hisbah disturbs everywhere aside sabon gari.

1 Like

Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by ATTemi: 4:56am On Jan 16, 2020
N15 for a load of bread?

Be guided!
Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by OBALORLA(m): 6:22am On Jan 16, 2020
Dralin:
Hahaha its "Allahu Akbar" and it means God is Great. The love about spagetti no be here o.Hisbah disturbs everywhere aside sabon gari.

Spot on!
Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by OBALORLA(m): 6:23am On Jan 16, 2020
ATTemi:
N15 for a load of bread?

Be guided!

Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by sheddo619(m): 7:04am On Jan 16, 2020
Omihanifa:

Enugu road �
Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by ATTemi: 7:36am On Jan 16, 2020
Is that a loaf of bread?
OBALORLA:

Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by Azeh(m): 8:10am On Jan 16, 2020
Wow
Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by Dralin(m): 8:53am On Jan 16, 2020
OBALORLA:

Maybe someone told him its bread,But Its called 'Gurasa',really sweet when hot and with alot of yaji(grinded dry pepper)
Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by OBALORLA(m): 9:55am On Jan 16, 2020
Dralin:
Maybe someone told him its bread,But Its called 'Gurasa',really sweet when hot and with alot of yaji(grinded dry pepper)

I'm really curious about what is used in making it.
I thought it was flour too.
Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by Xxx123xxx(m): 10:21am On Jan 16, 2020
I have always loved the north since I visited taraba even though there's not much in terms of infrastructure and all, the people and their approach to life is the best I have seen since I was born!!
Re: 8 Interesting Things Nobody Told You About Kano (in Pictures) by OBALORLA(m): 11:40am On Jan 16, 2020
Xxx123xxx:
I have always loved the north since I visited taraba even though there's not much in terms of infrastructure and all, the people and their approach to life is the best I have seen since I was born!!

It hurts me to see how the media has painted the North Black

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians In Canada - Whats Up? / Can't Read & Write But Need A Nigeria Passport & Uk Visiting Visa. Pls Help! / Bad Weather Grounds Flights Across The Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.