Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,659 members, 7,889,158 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 12:58 AM

Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? (27372 Views)

Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? / Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by unite4real: 1:43pm On Jan 18, 2020
ShoProperties:
I am Planning of Renting a new house in Lekki but to my best surprise after filling the Tenancy form and all , The lawyer asked me do undertaking that I will be the one to pay any form of tax incurred during my stay in the House Be it tenement rate , Land Use

I told him have never heard of such and he said then I’m not ready to take the house

Please enlighten me who is to Pay

Tenant Or Landlord

Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by West2019(m): 1:44pm On Jan 18, 2020
ShoProperties:
I am Planning of Renting a new house in Lekki but to my best surprise after filling the Tenancy form and all , The lawyer asked me do undertaking that I will be the one to pay any form of tax incurred during my stay in the House Be it tenement rate , Land Use

I told him have never heard of such and he said then I’m not ready to take the house

Tenant Or Landlord

very simple question its dey landlord , if u knw say the Hus go dey take given 1m every day without going out for work no prb u can go ahead Nd pay
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by allthingsgood: 1:45pm On Jan 18, 2020
magicminister:
Here’s my insight:

It depends on what you’re renting.
If you’re renting a an apartment (e.g 2 bedroom), then it is NOT your responsibility to pay any tenement rate, HOA and tax fees.

If you’re renting a whole house (a single property on a single land), then all the fees associated with the house falls on you

However, I have multiple properties that incurs millions in taxes every month. I average them out and just include it in the rent so that way, the tenant does not even know that they’re paying taxes.

So, if your landlord is making it clear that you’ll be paying taxes, then ensure that the rent is below market rent. That way, you know that taxes was not added to it already.

This is not based on any law. Owner of property is responsible for taxes period.
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by Openbusiness: 1:45pm On Jan 18, 2020
sholatem:
Tenement rate suppose to be paid by occupant of d apartment while land use charge is to be paid by landlord
False information! Landlord (owner of building) pays both.
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by greggng: 1:47pm On Jan 18, 2020
ShoProperties:

Tenant Or Landlord

Better look for another house before you start signing something you won't be able to carry on with. Landlord pays tenement rate and land use charges. Your duty is to pay your house rent, Nepa bill, waste bill....and if you like pay for repairs that are affordable. ...don't be desperate to get into a contract u will regret
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by suco01(m): 1:47pm On Jan 18, 2020
Jabioro:
Extortist lawyer..it non of your business.. purely landlord business..

Go and read about land use charge before you comment
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by magicminister: 1:49pm On Jan 18, 2020
allthingsgood:

This is not based on any law. Owner of property is responsible for taxes period.

Lol! It’s a sellers market buddy!

The market in Lagos is over saturated I literally have my agent turning down applications if our requirements are not met to the very last letter
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by flow26(m): 1:50pm On Jan 18, 2020
It's called land use charge and not land ownership or property ownership charge// or tax. Whoever is using the property at any point in time is responsible for the land use charge unless the landlord decides to take responsibility.
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by Jabioro: 1:52pm On Jan 18, 2020
suco01:

Go and read about land use charge before you comment
So under the new land use charges it tenant duty to pay tenament ...You are not serious..I am a landlord..
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by suco01(m): 1:55pm On Jan 18, 2020
Jabioro:
So under the new land use charges it tenant duty to pay tenament ...You are not serious..I am a landlord..

it is to be paid by both landlord and tenant using the property at the time notice is served. Your being landlord means nothing to me
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by suco01(m): 1:56pm On Jan 18, 2020
flow26:
It's called land use charge and not land ownership or property ownership charge// or tax. Whoever is using the property at any point in time is responsible for the land use charge unless the landlord decides to take responsibility.

Abi oo and someone claim here he is also a landlord
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by ruggedlaw(m): 2:05pm On Jan 18, 2020
[quote author=azpekuliar post=85897893]The Tenement rate is a tax on the occupation of property not the ownership of property. You may own a property and not live there, so the responsibility to pay the Tenement Rate then becomes that of the tenant. However, if the property is owner-occupied then the landlord/owner pays the Tenement Rate. The Tenement Rate is a critical source of revenue for Local Governments.

However in Lagos, the State Government usurped the powers of the LGAs to demand and collect Tenement Rates, by promulgating the Land Use Charge through it’s House of Assembly. So the Tenement rate, Ground rent and Neighborhood Improvement Charge were all fused together to become the Land Use Charge (to the chagrin of the LGAs) and landlords became primarily responsible for it’s payment, not tenants.

Now there are so many properties in Lagos that have not yet been enumerated or captured in the LUC database so they are currently not being assessed yet for LUC payment. Properties in this category are most likely still being assessed for the old Tenement Rate so the tenant(s) or whoever is in occupation is expected to still pay the rate to the coffers of their LGA office. [/quuote]

Regardless of the numenclature, a tenancy agreement can stipulate who pays what, if the agreement places the responsibilty of payment on the tenant and it is not acceptable to the tenant, the tenant can decide not to rent the house. In Lagos, demand and supply determines a whole lot.
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by Emmymarvel(m): 2:05pm On Jan 18, 2020
azpekuliar:
The Tenement rate is a tax on the occupation of property not the ownership of property. You may own a property and not live there, so the responsibility to pay the Tenement Rate then becomes that of the tenant. However, if the property is owner-occupied then the landlord/owner pays the Tenement Rate. The Tenement Rate is a critical source of revenue for Local Governments.

However in Lagos, the State Government usurped the powers of the LGAs to demand and collect Tenement Rates, by promulgating the Land Use Charge through it’s House of Assembly. So the Tenement rate, Ground rent and Neighborhood Improvement Charge were all fused together to become the Land Use Charge (to the chagrin of the LGAs) and landlords became primarily responsible for it’s payment, not tenants.

Now there are so many properties in Lagos that have not yet been enumerated or captured in the LUC database so they are currently not being assessed yet for LUC payment. Properties in this category are most likely still being assessed for the old Tenement Rate so the tenant(s) or whoever is in occupation is expected to still pay the rate to the coffers of their LGA office.
All these you wrote are gibberish...na landlord dey pay tenament rate. He owns d house. Tenement rate are land used charges for use of land. The landlord used d land to build a house to make money, he is d one using the land. So stop trying to use big English here to confuse people.

5 Likes

Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by Venerable612(m): 2:12pm On Jan 18, 2020
TechSpot:

occupier could either be the landlord or a tenant so write in clear terms.

land use act - Land owner
tenement rate - usually factored into rent in most cases. It is similar to how VAT is factored into purchases.

This is Wrong sir.

Land Use Charge and Tenement rate are the same.

It’s called Land Use Charge in Lagos State.
It’s called Tenement Rate in most of the other states, if not all.

Both are taxes for lease of the land from the Owner (the Governor) or (Minister in FCT) - and they are TO BE PAID BY THE LANDLORD, not the Tenant.

1 Like

Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by momove4real25(f): 2:14pm On Jan 18, 2020
TechSpot:

occupier could either be the landlord or a tenant so write in clear terms.

land use act - Land owner
tenement rate - usually factored into rent in most cases. It is similar to how VAT is factored into purchases.
normally it is suppose to be paid by the landlord but shifted to Tennant's for payment. Some landlord adds it to rent in some cases
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by yommen: 2:14pm On Jan 18, 2020
powerkey:
It's the landlord.

It's the owner of the property that pays for such.

Must you reside there? Go elsewhere man.

The house could be best among other options he has seen
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by AgentNairaland(f): 2:15pm On Jan 18, 2020
Both
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by baratech: 2:17pm On Jan 18, 2020
Landlord
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by tikristinimi21: 2:26pm On Jan 18, 2020
The landlord from the tenant's pocket
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by Guchis(f): 2:35pm On Jan 18, 2020
The tenant pays the Tenement fee if the lease is less than 10 years.
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by reubenobi(m): 2:37pm On Jan 18, 2020
azpekuliar:
The Tenement rate is a tax on the occupation of property not the ownership of property. You may own a property and not live there, so the responsibility to pay the Tenement Rate then becomes that of the tenant. However, if the property is owner-occupied then the landlord/owner pays the Tenement Rate. The Tenement Rate is a critical source of revenue for Local Governments.

Now there are so many properties in Lagos that have not yet been enumerated or captured in the LUC database, so they are currently not being assessed yet for LUC payment. Properties in this category are most likely still being assessed for the old Tenement Rate, so tenant(s) or whoever is in occupation is still expected to pay the Tenement Rate into the coffers of their Local Government Area.
Nice analysis.
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by ericmor: 2:39pm On Jan 18, 2020
powerkey:
It's the landlord.

It's the owner of the property that pays for such.

Must you reside there? Go elsewhere man.
They will not hear and that is how it start. If everyone can reject it then they will get to their right senses. Nonsense
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by chukzyfcbb: 2:48pm On Jan 18, 2020
Don't fall maga

Everywhere it's the landlords Job! I have seen rate of 20k and high as 150k annually, na landlord dey pay am.

This is Lagos, so you can get away with it by just paying something Sha it mustn't be full, but it's the landlords duty
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by ABSTRUSE: 2:52pm On Jan 18, 2020
It depends on the Lease or Tenancy Agreement.
If a tenant has agreed, in the lease/tenancy agreement, to pay the tenenment rate, he wil be estopped from stating otherwise.

If not stated, the landlord should pay.
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by Augustine1998: 2:59pm On Jan 18, 2020
Acct number; 0108521815.Acct name; udeh Chinedu Augustine.bank;access bank. Pls I am really need of cash. A begger have no choice. Anything is accepted, God bless you, for your help.
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by mfm04622: 3:08pm On Jan 18, 2020
ShoProperties:

Tenant Or Landlord

Tenement rate is the duty of the landlord. However, most landlords pass on the burden on their tenants
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by pacespot(m): 3:26pm On Jan 18, 2020
The power of demand and supply determines a lot, but I see those market women renting shops paying tenement rate.

I haven't heard of tenement rate in a residential house.
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by abbey621(m): 3:34pm On Jan 18, 2020
If that's what is in the agreement then you must abide or find somewhere else. This is not by force, you've read the agreement so better be sure before you sign. Even if it is the landlord that pays, if your agreement states otherwise then you must abide, DON'T TRY TO BE SLICK!
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by dipoolowoo: 3:38pm On Jan 18, 2020
Who Pays Tenement Rates? A Lawyer's Viewpoint
https://businesspost.ng/featureoped/pays-tenement-rates/

ShoProperties:

Tenant Or Landlord

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Estimate Of Building Not So Fancy 3-bedroom Flat / Exploitation, Eviction Threat ‘killing’ Residents Of A Lagos Island / Christmas Tragedy: Landslide Kills 3 In Abuja, Injures 3 Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.