Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,603 members, 7,878,740 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 04:57 AM

How To Become Data Scientist - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Become Data Scientist (867 Views)

Looking For Where To Intern As A Data Scientist (python) / Data Scientist At Flutterwave / Vacancy For Data Scientist In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Become Data Scientist by Powersurge: 10:21am On Jan 19, 2020
With the Advent of modern technologies, data generation has been astronomic. There are terabytes of data generated per minutes. In one minutes, over 18 million text messages are sent across the world. 3.8 million searches are made on Google per minute. 4.3 million minutes of YouTube video views. About $1million dollars are spent online per every 60 seconds. 41.6 million messages are sent on Facebook. The bottom line is, we now generate ENORMOUS amount of data.

Humans are not very good at saying their experiences or what they want. But if you have data concerning their behaviors, you can almost absolutely tell what they will likely do next.

Companies, like Amazon and tons of others are making billions of dollars through effective utilisation of data. Gor example, through data, you could tell that a person who buys children diapers may likely by toy. Hence over 30% of Amazon revenue comes from suggestions.

To be continue.

1 Like

Re: How To Become Data Scientist by Powersurge: 10:37am On Jan 19, 2020
Data science is the process of transforming data into problem-solving format.

Before data becomes useful, it passes through a phase called data lifecycle. This varies from industry to industry. The cycle could include data acquisition, processing, analysis, modeling etc.

Data science is way bigger than data analysis. In fact, data analysis, business analysis etc are sunset of data science.

Another concept that is very rampant in data science is machine learning (herewith refered to as ML). ML is a process of teaching machine to carry out certain activities through the use of algorithms. For example, I could develop an algorithm to determine whether a job invite is fake or not. Or an algorithm to recognize handwriting. Or an algorithm to determine the kind of food prepared based on the ingredients. Believe me you can have an algorithm that will be 99% correct in predicting these occurrences. Finally, ML is a subset of Artificial Intelligence.

2 Likes

Re: How To Become Data Scientist by Nobody: 10:48am On Jan 19, 2020
Powersurge:
Data science is the process of transforming data into problem-solving format.

Before data becomes useful, it passes through a phase called data lifecycle. This varies from industry to industry. The cycle could include data acquisition, processing, analysis, modeling etc.

Data science is way bigger than data analysis. In fact, data analysis, business analysis etc are sunset of data science.

Another concept that is very rampant in data science is machine learning (herewith refered to as ML). ML is a process of teaching machine to carry out certain activities through the use of algorithms. For example, I could develop an algorithm to determine whether a job invite is fake or not. Or an algorithm to recognize handwriting. Or an algorithm to determine the kind of food prepared based on the ingredients. Believe me you can have an algorithm that will be 99% correct in predicting these occurrences. Finally, ML is a subset of Artificial Intelligence.

Hello. I strongly believe that ML can accurately predict lotto numbers. What do you think?

1 Like

Re: How To Become Data Scientist by Powersurge: 10:50am On Jan 19, 2020
Finally what do you need to become a data scientist?

Programming language: Python programming and/or R, and/or SAS. I recommend Python.

Others: Excel, Tableau, Power BI, SQL, SPSS, etc (You don't have to learn all these for a start)

Finally, i have YouTube channel (CalyxData) which I started, to teach people data science. The channel is new so no too much activities there yet. You could begin your journey there. Though I only have Excel and introduction to Python there, I plan to teach lots of things on that channel (hope time permits) including Numpy, Pandas, Scikit-learn, Seaborn, Matplotlib, and other stuff listed above with exception of R abd SAS.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC8uWi5m5FMUER-4jonqfFOg

2 Likes

Re: How To Become Data Scientist by Powersurge: 10:54am On Jan 19, 2020
mikezuruki:

Hello. I strongly believe that ML can accurately predict lotto numbers. What do you think?

Sharp guy. Why not. But it more challenging to predict more volatile fields like stocks, forex, lotto etc. But it can do pretty good job.

By the way, if you have soft copy of lotto results over a long time, pls send it to me. Let me see what i can make of it. I will like it to be in csv or xlsx format.
Re: How To Become Data Scientist by Nobody: 10:57am On Jan 19, 2020
Powersurge:

Sharp guy. Why not. But it more challenging to predict more volatile fields like stocks, forex, lotto etc. But it can do pretty good job.

By the way, if you have soft copy of lotto results over a long time, pls send it to me. Let me see what i can make of it. I will like it to be in csv or xlsx format.

I believe that I can get it. however hard copy. But with deep dipping, one can get it in the format you want.
Re: How To Become Data Scientist by Powersurge: 9:49am On Jan 28, 2020
Drunkard moderator finally release my post. Overzealousness dey worry una.

If na breast and snake post now, una go put am for front page
Re: How To Become Data Scientist by y3mi(m): 3:05pm On Jan 29, 2020
See making sense topic,

Demented mod, foolish supermods, cranky autobots and all idiot running NL won't bring this to front page.

This website has long stopped being a forum for learning.

1 Like

Re: How To Become Data Scientist by damesilver(m): 12:50pm On Mar 23, 2020
mikezuruki:

Guy guy, take time. You have to repair my phone screen. It is your post that got me laughing and my phone fell to floor. See what you caused nw.
Re: How To Become Data Scientist by Powersurge: 6:59am On Mar 24, 2020
damesilver:

Guy guy, take time. You have to repair my phone screen. It is your post that got me laughing and my phone fell to floor. See what you caused nw.

Lolzz
Re: How To Become Data Scientist by alterego17: 6:03pm On Oct 13, 2020
Powersurge:

Lolzz

Bro i guess it's possible to create a free amazon giftcard or itune gift card generator too?

(1) (Reply)

Who Has Ever Done Young Professional Data Analyst Test By Fundquest B4 ? / Collection Officer / Dhl Best Hr Department

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.