Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,861 members, 7,876,288 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 01:59 PM

Us Stocks Pick Alert - Investment (92) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Us Stocks Pick Alert (635011 Views)

MTN Shares Pick Alert / My Stock Plays in US Stocks Market / Buying US Stocks From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) ... (436) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Predstan: 8:06pm On Jul 06, 2020
Jotrade:
Don't rush into the market like that. Penny stocks are not for beginners
What's the best advice?
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 8:29pm On Jul 06, 2020
Keinding:

Hi!
I have to say be careful with the bolded. No proof of concept, nothing to show that Trevor has gone from talk to action only for him to quickly step aside as CEO of Nikola and assume chairmanship ( that is an easy way of shifting blame if gbege happen)
At best na speculative play.... Even the Chinese EV manufacturers have better track record with demand to show for it.

Where's number 4?

Oh gosh!
Am biting my fingers now for skipping no. 4 in error.
Though we on the Fintechs side of the divide (Trove, Chaka, Bamboo) can't access it for now, our brothers abroad can make a kill.
No. 4 is AYRO.
AS at the time of posting this morning, its last closing price was $3.27.
As I type this, it's $5.33, a whopping 63% gain today!!!
At least I would have tipped it for YerYer when he asked but it skipped my memory while making that post.
Now you see why I was biting my fingers?
Painful.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 8:32pm On Jul 06, 2020
YerYer:

I no understand this Postmates deal o. I thought they already have Ubereats, maybe this is so they can have a monopoly over the food delivery space? I guess they should thrive in this pandemic considering so many people are ordering food online.

Na greed dey do them.
Postmates themselves were to do an IPO but chose the easy way out.
Na den I for buy based on this deal but den no dey listed.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 8:34pm On Jul 06, 2020
YerYer:

Based on that rational, I looked up if OIN or NOI were real stock symbols so I can buy the stock now, I was highly disappointed cheesy

Bwahahahaha grin grin grin
These my two Ogas YerYer and Seyisanya dem no go kii me wit laf oh. ; cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by 1kinggy(m): 8:44pm On Jul 06, 2020
YerYer:

I no understand this Postmates deal o. I thought they already have Ubereats, maybe this is so they can have a monopoly over the food delivery space? I guess they should thrive in this pandemic considering so many people are ordering food online.

They need the market share.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by 4Play(m): 8:55pm On Jul 06, 2020
OakPearl:

Today's leading companies were totally under the radar a couple of years ago. Just for example, today's Tesla of $1,208 was trading for just $211 last August; that's less than a year ago!

We are here to conduct due diligence meticulously enough to hopefully pick tomorrow's giants and sit back for a bumper pay.

The problem is very few people, not even professional investors, have a chance of knowing beforehand what stocks will prove to be a success. There is a lot of hindsight bias1 amongst investors - we look at a stock that exploded and conclude that we ''shoulda woulda coulda'' bought the stock and held on till we reaped loadsa money and that we will find the next bonanza stock(s). The reality is most stocks are duds over the long run so your chances of finding that great stock and holding on to it, as it rises and falls, are fairly slim.

And it's not even about buying a growth industry stock like Tesla and NKLA with electric vehicles or Beyond Meat with artificial meat. An industry can be a success but most of the individual stocks within that industry can be widow makers. Think of the tech bubble that started in the 1990s and remember names like Blackberry, Motorola, Nokia, Yahoo.com, Palm (of Palm Pilot fame) etc. These companies operated in industries that were eventual successes but the stocks, like most stocks, proved disappointing.

So, once again, my message is investors shouldn't overestimate their stock picking skills or fall foul of overconfidence bias.2 Obviously, in this environment where stocks are generally on the rise, most people might start letting their guards down. My stance remains that most people are safer just choosing indices. If you feel you are skilled enough to pick the right stocks, be prepared to lose or to experience average/mediocre returns over the long-run (over the course of years). Yes, there are anecdotes about investors/traders experiencing stunning successes but, like a lot of things in life, those are the exceptional cases and not the norm. Preaching moderation/caution to people on this thread might feel like preaching chastity to punters in a brothel but someone has to do it!

Hindsight bias is a psychological phenomenon that allows people to convince themselves after an event that they had accurately predicted it before it happened. This can lead people to conclude that they can accurately predict other events. Hindsight bias is studied in behavioral economics because it is a common failing of individual investors.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/h/hindsight-bias.asp

Overconfidence Bias in Finance and Investing
Understanding where the markets are going and so on is one of the most important skills in finance and investing. In this industry, most market analysts consider themselves to be above average in their analytical skills. However, it is obviously a statistical impossibility for most analysts to be above the average analyst.

https://corporatefinanceinstitute.com/resources/knowledge/trading-investing/overconfidence-bias/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YerYer: 9:18pm On Jul 06, 2020
OakPearl:

Oh gosh!
Am biting my fingers now for skipping no. 4 in error.
Though we on the Fintechs side of the divide (Trove, Chaka, Bamboo) can't access it for now, our brothers abroad can make a kill.
No. 4 is AYRO.
AS at the time of posting this morning, its last closing price was $3.27.
As I type this, it's $5.33, a whopping 63% gain today!!!
At least I would have tipped it for YerYer when he asked but it skipped my memory while making that post.
Now you see why I was biting my fingers?
Painful.

You make me miss this bread today. cry cry they were up 100% at one point. Man I've so overwhelmed with work, i don't even have time to research stuff, na just work and sleep. But I've added AYRO to my watchlist. EV is the new goldmine!
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YerYer: 9:20pm On Jul 06, 2020
OakPearl:

Na greed dey do them.
Postmates themselves were to do an IPO but chose the easy way out.
Na den I for buy based on this deal but den no dey listed.

Na fear catch them. Too many people to compete with, door dash, Uber eats, delivery.com, grubhub etc. Maybe they figured it will be harder to compete with the big boys in the long run. Can't blame them.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YerYer: 9:21pm On Jul 06, 2020
1kinggy:

They need the market share.

That makes sense. Na so dem pursue Lyft commot New York.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YerYer: 9:25pm On Jul 06, 2020
YerYer:
I'm buying Amazon (AMZN). They are hiring about 75,000 people after just hiring 100,000 people last month. In a time when most companies are laying off employees, these guys can't even keep up with the demand. They had suspended sale of non essential items just to focus on really needed merchandise during the coronavirus outbreak but today they just announced that they will be selling non-essential items once again. As more people are stuck at home, they continue to buy everything online even groceries. This is one of my favourite companies of all time. I made $25k profit on this stock alone 2 yrs ago (https://www.nairaland.com/2460429/us-stock-market-even-playing/15). I bought 1 share at $2150 and plan to buy the dips.

Amazon crossed the $3000 mark, currently up 42% and plan to hold.

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Penboy: 9:30pm On Jul 06, 2020
YerYer:

That's like how much profit already?!
Enjoy bro. �
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by gamaliel9: 9:54pm On Jul 06, 2020
Retail investors are really powerful this time thanks to online investing...just from your toilet you are buying and selling shares...

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by arduino: 9:57pm On Jul 06, 2020
YerYer:

Wetin dey happen to Twitter nah??
Go front......No, oya go back.... Mba

2 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Multiplier7(m): 10:40pm On Jul 06, 2020
gamaliel9:

For me owning a fractional share is psychological...as if you belong. SAVE ENOUGH MONEY AND BUY FULL SHARE. If you gain one dollar, you see it and rejoice grin grin...you also get full dividend. and you can also buy with limit order instead of market order

Remember, buying fractional shares does not prevent these fintechs from collecting the FULL FEES.
Hi, am a beginner on US stock markets. The minimum amount to use in buying US stock is how much pls? And again if shares bought didn't go your prediction, can someone wait till the price goes up before selling?

Thanks in advance
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Penboy: 10:51pm On Jul 06, 2020
Multiplier7:
Hi, am a beginner on US stock markets. The minimum amount to use in buying US stock is how much pls? And again if shares bought didn't go your prediction, can someone wait till the price goes up before selling?

Thanks in advance

Depending on the broker. Some require minimum of 10 dollars to invest.
And yes, you can hold your shares to whenever you feel like selling.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by ebuka1997: 12:16am On Jul 07, 2020
YerYer:

Its probably as a result of competition in that space from the likes of grubhub and door dash. Uber, door dash and grubhub are the 3 biggest food delivery companies, uber initially wanted to buy grubhub to consolidate but it wasn’t successful.

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Multiplier7(m): 1:25am On Jul 07, 2020
Penboy:

Depending on the broker. Some require minimum of 10 dollars to invest.
And yes, you can hold your shares to whenever you feel like selling.
I downloaded trove app ...

Thanks for answering
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by DexterousOne(m): 2:12am On Jul 07, 2020
gamaliel9:
Retail investors are really powerful this time thanks to online investing...just from your toilet you are buying and selling shares...

The institutional investors are still the ones who drive the volume in the market
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Jotrade: 6:46am On Jul 07, 2020
Do you thing TSLA is still a good buy, because am still holding my position I buy when the price was $967 three weeks ago.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Skymoore1004: 9:36am On Jul 07, 2020
Going to buy 2 shares of TSLA, just waiting for bamboo to clear my deposit.
Jotrade:
Do you thing TSLA is still a good buy, because am still holding my position I buy when the price was $967 three weeks ago.

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Jotrade: 10:13am On Jul 07, 2020
I have 4 and am going to add two more.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by yok: 10:46am On Jul 07, 2020
mission08:

Hi Oakpeal, many thanks for this heads up.

I saw this post yesterday morning and I quickly did some research on EV stocks. My quick search lead me to Electrameccanica Vehicle (SOLO) among other viable stocks also considering the fact that it is a small cap stock. With the information I read, it seems quite promising and I bought a few number of shares. Between yesterday and today, I'm up 59.5%. Although I don't know what brought about this huge increase but I'm glad I didnt delay when I saw Oakpeal's post.

Good start congrats.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 11:30am On Jul 07, 2020
YerYer:

Na fear catch them. Too many people to compete with, door dash, Uber eats, delivery.com, grubhub etc. Maybe they figured it will be harder to compete with the big boys in the long run. Can't blame them.

Lolz @ "Na fear catch them."
At some point they wanted to even buy grubhub.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 11:31am On Jul 07, 2020
YerYer:

You make me miss this bread today. cry cry they were up 100% at one point. Man I've so overwhelmed with work, i don't even have time to research stuff, na just work and sleep. But I've added AYRO to my watchlist. EV is the new goldmine!

Sorry bro, my bad.
Very regrettable.
Na the same wahala of time cause am.
24hrs no dey do again.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 11:32am On Jul 07, 2020
YerYer:

This one na world beater.
Enjoy your loot bro.
More wins.

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Skymoore1004: 11:46am On Jul 07, 2020
Please do you advise I buy NIO? What do you think?
OakPearl:

This one na world beater.
Enjoy your loot bro.
More wins.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 11:47am On Jul 07, 2020
4Play:

The problem is very few people, not even professional investors, have a chance of knowing beforehand what stocks will prove to be a success. There is a lot of hindsight bias1 amongst investors - we look at a stock that exploded and conclude that we ''shoulda woulda coulda'' bought the stock and held on till we reaped loadsa money and that we will find the next bonanza stock(s). The reality is most stocks are duds over the long run so your chances of finding that great stock and holding on to it, as it rises and falls, are fairly slim.

And it's not even about buying a growth industry stock like Tesla and NKLA with electric vehicles or Beyond Meat with artificial meat. An industry can be a success but most of the individual stocks within that industry can be widow makers. Think of the tech bubble that started in the 1990s and remember names like Blackberry, Motorola, Nokia, Yahoo.com, Palm (of Palm Pilot fame) etc. These companies operated in industries that were eventual successes but the stocks, like most stocks, proved disappointing.

So, once again, my message is investors shouldn't overestimate their stock picking skills or fall foul of overconfidence bias.2 Obviously, in this environment where stocks are generally on the rise, most people might start letting their guards down. My stance remains that most people are safer just choosing indices. If you feel you are skilled enough to pick the right stocks, be prepared to lose or to experience average/mediocre returns over the long-run (over the course of years). Yes, there are anecdotes about investors/traders experiencing stunning successes but, like a lot of things in life, those are the exceptional cases and not the norm. Preaching moderation/caution to people on this thread might feel like preaching chastity to punters in a brothel but someone has to do it!

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/h/hindsight-bias.asp

https://corporatefinanceinstitute.com/resources/knowledge/trading-investing/overconfidence-bias/

Its good to have a voice preaching caution and it is very welcome on this forum.
I also agree with you that "...most people are safer just choosing indices." That means the few left wouldn't invest their entire war chest in indices alone. They are the ones investing in stocks. We will serve them.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 11:49am On Jul 07, 2020
arduino:

Wetin dey happen to Twitter nah??
Go front......No, oya go back.... Mba

This na the type wey no go gree move.
But immediately you sell, the thing go rocket, and you will be left wondering what your offence was. grin

3 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Skymoore1004: 11:55am On Jul 07, 2020
Please advise on which stock to buy.
I’m already buying Tesla, and Apple today.
Any other I can add? Boeing? Nio?
OakPearl:

This na the type wey no go gree move.
But immediately you sell, the thing go rocket, and you will be left wondering what your offence was. grin
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 11:56am On Jul 07, 2020
Skymoore1004:
Please do you advise I buy NIO? What do you think?

Buy NIO and add patience.
If you can time your entry below $10, better.
But if your investment horizon is long term like me, buy now in tranches so you can average down your cost of purchase if it reduces after your first tranch.
Na so I delay to add to my position when it got to $6 from the $3.02 I bought it...now na $11. undecided
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Skymoore1004: 11:59am On Jul 07, 2020
What do you think of Boeing & fedex?
OakPearl:

Buy NIO and add patience.
If you can time your entry below $10, better.
But if your investment horizon is long term like me, buy now in tranches so you can average down your cost of purchase if it reduces after your first tranch.
Na so I delay to add to my position when it got to $6 from the $3.02 I bought it...now na $11. undecided
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 12:02pm On Jul 07, 2020
Skymoore1004:
Please advise on which stock to buy.
I’m already buying Tesla, and Apple today.
Any other I can add? Boeing? Nio?

Your picks are solid.
You see that Apple? It is another "time bomb" waiting to explode into the $1,000 region.
People no go see am now, or them fit think say e too cost.
I have responded to your NIO enquiry earlier. They are utilizing their $1bn facility very well and sales are doing great. Q3 report will make it fly.
BUY sir.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) ... (436) (Reply)

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians / Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum

Viewing this topic: 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.