Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,221 members, 7,919,903 topics. Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 03:50 PM

Coronavirus: Alleged Leak From China’s Tencent Puts Actual Death Toll At 24,589 - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Coronavirus: Alleged Leak From China’s Tencent Puts Actual Death Toll At 24,589 (606 Views)

How COVID-19 Killed 589 People In Kano – Minister / Coronavirus: Global Death Toll Rises To 3,000 As Infection Number Spikes. / Lassa Fever Death Toll Rises (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coronavirus: Alleged Leak From China’s Tencent Puts Actual Death Toll At 24,589 by todaysecho: 2:47pm On Feb 06, 2020
Chinese multinational conglomerate holding company Tencent has allegedly published “real” data on the novel coronavirus deaths, with briefly listing death toll as 24,589 — way too higher than over 500 deaths China has officially announced to date.

According to Taiwan News, “Tencent… seems to have inadvertently released what is potentially the actual number of infections and deaths, which were astronomically higher than official figures”.

Tencent, on its webpage titled “Epidemic Situation Tracker,” showed confirmed cases of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in China as standing at 154,023 – over 10 times the official figure given to the world on February 1.

It listed the number of suspected cases as 79,808, four times the official figure.

“The number of cured cases was only 269, well below the official number that day of 300. Most ominously, the death toll listed was 24,589, vastly higher than the 300 officially listed that day”.

Once people noticed this, Tencent immediately updated the numbers to reflect the government’s “official” numbers.

“Netizens noticed that Tencent has on at least three occasions posted extremely high numbers, only to quickly lower them to government-approved statistics,” said the report.

Some people speculated a coding problem may be behind the real “internal” data but others believe that someone is actually trying to reveal the real numbers.

Tencent was yet to officially comment on these reports. “According to multiple sources in Wuhan, many coronavirus patients are unable to receive treatment and die outside of hospitals.”

There have been multiple reports of Wuhan officials cremating deceased coronavirus victims before they could be added to the official death toll.

The Wall Street Journal reported that the coronavirus numbers coming out of China are “fishy”.

If the numbers from the alleged Tencent leak are accurate, it would put coronavirus’ mortality rate at almost 16 per cent. By comparison, SARS’ mortality rate was 9.6 per cent, reports CCN.

Caijing, an independent magazine based in Beijing that covers societal, political, and economic issues, has also claimed that the Communist Party of China

(CCP) is underreporting the extent of the coronavirus outbreak.

Caijing’s article on Coronavirus that detailed how Wuhan officials are not reporting real figures was censored in China.

Ms Wang, a 33-year-old housewife, and her family have remained in the city since it was sealed off on 23 January.

Since then, the virus has infected more than 20,000 people worldwide, leading to at least 427 deaths.

In a rare interview with the BBC from inside Wuhan, Ms Wang has told the BBC about her family’s heart-breaking struggle for survival.

Since the outbreak of the coronavirus, my uncle has already passed away, my father is critically ill and my mum and aunt have started showing some symptoms.

The CT scans shows their lungs are infected. My brother is coughing too, and has some breathing difficulties.

My dad has a high fever. His temperature was 39.3C (102F) yesterday and he’s constantly coughing and having breathing difficulties. We got him an oxygen machine at home and he relies on that machine twenty-four seven.He’s taking both Chinese and Western medicines at the moment. There’s no hospital for him to go to because his case hasn’t been confirmed due to the lack of testing kits.

My mum and aunt walk to the hospital every day in the hope of getting a bed for my dad despite their own health situation. But no hospital will take them.

‘No one is helping us’
In Wuhan, there are many quarantine points to accommodate patients who have slight symptoms or are still in the incubation period.

There are some simple and really basic facilities there. But for people who are critically ill like my father, there are no beds for them.My uncle actually died in one of the quarantine points because there are no medical facilities for people with severe symptoms. I really hope my father can get some proper treatment but no-one is in contact with us or helping us at the moment.

I got in touch with community workers several times, but the response I got was, “there’s no chance of us getting a bed in the hospital”.

We thought the quarantine point my dad and uncle went to was a hospital at the beginning, but it turned out to be a hotel.

There was no nurse or doctor and there was no heater. They went in the afternoon and the staff there served them a cold dinner that evening. My uncle was very ill then, with severe respiratory symptoms and started losing consciousness.

No doctor came to treat him. He and my dad stayed in separate rooms and when dad went to see him at 06:30 in the morning, he had already passed away.

‘We’d rather die at home than go to quarantine’
The new hospitals being built are for people who are already in other hospitals at the moment. They are going to be transferred to the new ones.But for people like us, we can’t even get a bed now, let alone get one in the new hospitals.

If we follow the government’s guidelines, the only place we can go now is to those quarantine points. But if we went, what happened to my uncle would then happen to dad.

So we’d rather die at home.

‘The infected population is huge’
There are many families like us around, all facing the same difficulties.

My friend’s father was even refused by staff at the quarantine points because he had a high fever.

Resources are limited yet the infected population is huge. We are afraid, we don’t know what will happen next.

Wang’s message to the world
What I want to say is, if I knew they were going to lock down the city on 23 January, I would have definitely taken my whole family out, because there’s no help here.

If we were somewhere else, there might be hope. I don’t know whether people like us, who listened to the government and stayed in Wuhan, made the right decision or not.But I think my uncle’s death has answered that question.

As of Thursday, the official death toll in China rose to 563, with 28,018 confirmed cases.

Meanwhile, two newborn babies in Wuhan, China, have been infected with the novel coronavirus, according to China’s state broadcaster CCTV.

The youngest baby was diagnosed at just 30 hours old. The baby’s mother was also infected with the virus, and CCTV suggested that “there may be mother-infant transmission,” where the mother passes the virus on to the baby in utero.

There are now at least 250 confirmed cases of the Wuhan coronavirus in more than 25 countries and territories outside mainland China:

Australia (at least 14 cases)
Belgium (at least 1 case)
Cambodia (at least 1 case)
Canada (at least 5 cases)
Finland (at least 1 case)
France (at least 6 cases)
Germany (at least 12 cases)
Hong Kong (at least 21 cases, 1 death)
India (at least 3 cases)
Italy (at least 2 cases)
Japan (at least 45 cases, including 20 in cruise ship quarantine)
Macao (at least 10 cases)
Malaysia (at least 12 cases)
Nepal (at least 1 case)
Philippines (at least 3 cases, 1 death)
Russia (at least 2 cases)
Singapore (at least 28 cases)
South Korea (at least 23 cases)
Spain (at least 1 case)
Sri Lanka (at least 1 case)
Sweden (at least 1 case)
Taiwan (at least 11 cases)
Thailand (at least 25 cases)
United Arab Emirates (at least 5 cases)
United Kingdom (at least 2 cases)
United States (at least 12 cases)
Vietnam (at least 10 cases)

Re: Coronavirus: Alleged Leak From China’s Tencent Puts Actual Death Toll At 24,589 by Blakjewelry(m): 2:52pm On Feb 06, 2020
Humans, such a fragile creature yet na them make mouth pass but just small fever
Re: Coronavirus: Alleged Leak From China’s Tencent Puts Actual Death Toll At 24,589 by TUANKU(m): 2:56pm On Feb 06, 2020
24000 in a country of over 1.4 billion people is relatively a small number.
Re: Coronavirus: Alleged Leak From China’s Tencent Puts Actual Death Toll At 24,589 by obiekunie2: 3:54pm On Feb 06, 2020
TUANKU:
24000 in a country of over 1.4 billion people is relatively a small number.

'WUKED' SOUL! angry cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Donald Trump Test Positive To Covid-19 (fake News) / Covid-19 Tips: How To Produce Hand Sanitizer For Your Home / CORONAVIRUS : Some Countries Are Paying Amount Its Citizens To Stay At Home!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.