Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,213 members, 7,900,315 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 10:18 AM

The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) - Food (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) (56397 Views)

See The Snail Soup A Nigerian Lady Cooked For Her Man / The Catfish Soup A Broke Nairalander Prepared. / The Pot Of Soup A Man Cooked With N1000 (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by Nobody: 8:00am On Feb 08, 2020
MRcocaFanta:

Well there is what we call Erhei in Urhobo language, honestly i don't know the English name.

Use Erhei.
Crayfish.
Dry pepper.
Then you can use fish, preferably bonga fish.
Salt.
Maggi.

First of all put the crayfish on a frying pan without Groundnut oil and fry it like that, let it become dry a little then Grind the dry pepper, the Erhei and the crayfish together.

Then roast your bonga fish separately.

Then add the grinded pepper and the Erhei and the cray fish that together in a plate, add little water, add little salt and Maggie and the roasted bonga fish.
Mix them together and there you have your Irhibotor soup.

But you need fire to fry the crayfish and to roast the bonga fish.
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by Gordonz07(m): 8:08am On Feb 08, 2020
GermanMelania:

Hi tivi person. How far
Ah. I dey fine oh. U this German, how u dey nau. Ungu Nena?

1 Like

Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by Hypocrit: 8:28am On Feb 08, 2020
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by Hypocrit: 8:33am On Feb 08, 2020
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by Hypocrit: 8:35am On Feb 08, 2020
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by Hypocrit: 8:41am On Feb 08, 2020
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by Thazard(m): 8:55am On Feb 08, 2020
ahnie:

Hello am an isoko lady ...please akanwu(potash)isn't added in iribotor.... neither is red oil.

I prolly think the op got it correctly.
Good morning.
Then everyone has different method.
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by YoungPerson(m): 9:01am On Feb 08, 2020
BotafogoJunior:
which yama yama be this,shebi you said in your first post that the soup is cooked without fire,which one come be roast and fry again.........shior!!!!
Oil full your head
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by Thazard(m): 9:12am On Feb 08, 2020
Adakintroy2:

Calm down. I get you. The fire is just to roast the bonga fish. The roasting bring out the cent and a unique flavor. Outside that the soup it self does not need any fire.

My Mille use to run am for us that yr for one house weh be like okorte ( uncompleted buliding). She from Oteri village ughelli. Bad soup with plenty pepper. You eat finish know say you go sleep open mouth face fan. Real matter.

Urhobo wadoh!.
Bros,i tell you.Too much pepper,that's why i prefer eating it at night so that i could go to sleep immediately.
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by Okey80: 9:12am On Feb 08, 2020
Am from Anambra state, we call it Ndeleakpi, some part of Imo close to Anambra call it Ndele. Still some part of Anambra like Awka and environs and Igbo people in Delta call it Oseani.

1 Like

Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by OgbanjeProphet: 10:20am On Feb 08, 2020
willi926:
We have something like this in my hometown in anambra state. Just use crayfish and ogiri and small salt with palm oil and little warm water and u are good to go. No stress, and highly nutritious sef
That's 'NDERE".
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by joefelin2345: 10:41am On Feb 08, 2020
Olujoe1:
Ebo ree (oblation)
. You took took the words from my mouth Brother/Sister. It really look fetish or at most (Aseje) but the medical value is great. Can some Uhrobo linguistic help us with the English name for the leave mentioned in the write up? I shall love to try it as Malaria worries me a lot. Good morning Great Nairalanders.
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by joefelin2345: 10:50am On Feb 08, 2020
willi926:
We have something like this in my hometown in anambra state. Just use crayfish and ogiri and small salt with palm oil and little warm water and u are good to go. No stress, and highly nutritious sef
What is the name of the soup pls.
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by joefelin2345: 10:55am On Feb 08, 2020
Thazard:
Op i don't understand this your method oh.

Here's mine:Roast some Erhe and ground them with the pestle inside the motar and add grounded pepper.

*Add a little quantity of Eba to the grounded pepper and Erhe and mix with the pestle till they blend together.
What is English/Yoruba name for Erhe that you mentioned above.

*Add dry fish and pound with the mixture,add a little oil,Akanwu and stir throughly.

*Add warm water and mix till it turns liquid.After mixing,add your salt and maggi.

*Add your Roasted fish and serve!
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by rezzy: 11:04am On Feb 08, 2020
We the Isokos call it "izoutor"
Which means "soup made on the floor"
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by Malawian(m): 11:31am On Feb 08, 2020
Igbos cook this kind of "soup". I have even eaten it a few times courtesy of my granny then. It leaves a lot to be desired of though. I is in those moments you appreciate coming from the city as against growing up in the village.

1 Like

Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by Nobody: 11:44am On Feb 08, 2020
Malawian:
Igbos cook this kind of "soup". I have even eaten it a few times courtesy of my granny then. It leaves a lot to be desired of though. I is in those moments you appreciate coming from the city as against growing up in the village.

Igbo's don't cook this kind of soup. I'm Igbo so I know.

I think you're mistaking it for a sauce we use in eating yam which is prepared in a motar with
Potash
Oil
Dry pepper
Water
Crayfish (if you like)
It similar to the African salad sauce but this one is used for eating yam.

Wow..you just reminded me of something.. I think I'll try it this weekend. Its been a while. Had it last when momsi was still alive. wink

1 Like

Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by otokx(m): 11:53am On Feb 08, 2020
interesting cool
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by captainamiedi1: 12:08pm On Feb 08, 2020
ahnie:

We ehen see famzing....lolz akpor!
Your moniker connotes....captain of Banga soup....lolzzzz
Captainamiedi1 grin

I don't joke with bangs soup especially with fresh fish or dry sea fish
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by Malawian(m): 12:24pm On Feb 08, 2020
AshiraWealthy:

Igbo's don't cook this kind of soup. I'm Igbo so I know.

I think you're mistaking it for a sauce we use in eating yam which is prepared in a motar with
Potash
Oil
Dry pepper
Water
Crayfish (if you like)
It similar to the African salad sauce but this one is used for eating yam.

Wow..you just reminded me of something.. I think I'll try it this weekend. Its been a while. Had it last when momsi was still alive. wink
I HAVE EATEN THAT STUFF MORE THAN 3 TIMES AS A KID WHEN I STAYED WITH MY GRANNY FOR A FEW MONTHS IN ANAMBRA STATE. ASK YOUR OWN PARENTS, THEY KNOW ABOUT IT. THE THING I CAN'T GET OUT OF MY BEING AFTER CONSUMPTION IS THE OGIRI SMELL THAT TRAILS YOU.

THEY "COOK" IT INSIDE "ODO". ONE SINGLE FIRE DOESN'T GET ANYWHERE NEAR IT.
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by kezy58: 1:07pm On Feb 08, 2020
GODPUNISHALABI:
undecided disgusting piece of shît...who tha F uck eats this shît...looks like something brewed in da sewer...f ûck mehn bîtch you just killed my appetite...ama fûcking break somfin cos of this disgusting piece of shît.... reason why a nigga ain’t marrying no bitch that ain’t from the east side...bitch fuçk you

You're mad in complexion
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by Nobody: 1:10pm On Feb 08, 2020
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Malawian:

I HAVE EATEN THAT STUFF MORE THAN 3 TIMES AS A KID WHEN I STAYED WITH MY GRANNY FOR A FEW MONTHS IN ANAMBRA STATE. ASK YOUR OWN PARENTS, THEY KNOW ABOUT IT. THE THING I CAN'T GET OUT OF MY BEING AFTER CONSUMPTION IS THE OGIRI SMELL THAT TRAILS YOU.

THEY "COOK" IT INSIDE "ODO". ONE SINGLE FIRE DOESN'T GET ANYWHERE NEAR IT.

Oh... You ate it as a kiddo Now I know why you thought it was soup. But you don't need to yell to drive home your point. tongue
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by dyoungkarlmarx(m): 1:31pm On Feb 08, 2020
MRcocaFanta:
There is a soup called Irhibotor by the Urhobo people in Delta State.

The soup is cooked without fire and it's been a life saver to Urhobo or delta students in the University or polytechnic when they are so broke.

The most cheapest soup in NIGERIA.

As a lady from Delta State, especially an urhobo lady, if you can't cook the Irhibotor soup then you are not a real Urhobo woman.

The soup is part of the culture, lol.

When you have a fever, you can take it with yam or Eba and your fever will definitely disappear. Lol

Introducing the Urhobo Irhibotor soup.

I don't understand.Did you just say without fire?
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by cardoctor(m): 1:56pm On Feb 08, 2020
Doesn't look inviting
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by Malawian(m): 2:00pm On Feb 08, 2020
AshiraWealthy:
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Oh... You ate it as a kiddo Now I know why you thought it was soup. But you don't need to yell to drive home your point. tongue
Not yelling. I was working on a document with caps lock. only saw it after posting.
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by ahnie: 2:02pm On Feb 08, 2020
AreaFada2:

See question o.
Abeg ensure you include proper fish and ofiontor meat o. With plantain close to ripening stage, yellow yam, water yam and a little starch. Yum yum. grin cheesy
Choi... finished cooking it..it was delisssssssh!
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by Nobody: 2:04pm On Feb 08, 2020
Malawian:

Not yelling. I was working on a document with caps lock. only saw it after posting.

Ok.

1 Like

Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by vm231: 2:19pm On Feb 08, 2020
Samfloxin:
The. soup is not pleasant to behold at all...una dey try sha

I'm from east but grew up in Isoko (ozoro), me and my men dey package this soup dead, it depends on your pocket, e no mean say u no go fit use fire, na if e no dey u go just package am like that, same taste, e no go hot b d difference. You never taste am, u go even learn am dey package 4 ur family sef... my family mind dey na

1 Like

Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by tegafej(m): 4:15pm On Feb 08, 2020
Daniel058:
am fine ugbeya me grin ...

Oghene blesi wen OSHARE grin

Otioye!
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by Daniel058(m): 4:27pm On Feb 08, 2020
tegafej:

Otioye!
doh grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by efechris(m): 4:37pm On Feb 08, 2020
[quote author=Thazard post=86464054]Op i don't understand this your method oh.

Here's mine:Roast some Erhe and ground them with the pestle inside the motar and add grounded pepper.

*Add a little quantity of Eba to the grounded pepper and Erhe and mix with the pestle till they blend together.

*Add dry fish and pound with the mixture,add a little oil,Akanwu and stir throughly.

*Add warm water and mix till it turns liquid.After mixing,add your salt and maggi.

*Add your Roasted fish and serve![/quote

Yours is called OPUTIE
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by Enwhen(m): 6:52pm On Feb 08, 2020
GermanMelania:

You need mental help to be decolonized.

Lolss..... U have not taken ur drugs... Dirty p.gs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pregnant Cobra Butchered On My Farm, Used For Pepper Soup / Peanut Burger / Big Fish Caught In Ajase Ipo Kwara State

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.