Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,914 members, 7,949,177 topics. Date: Saturday, 14 September 2024 at 08:53 PM

27-year-old Lecturer Assistant Freed After Two Years In Jail Over False R*pe Aga - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 27-year-old Lecturer Assistant Freed After Two Years In Jail Over False R*pe Aga (511 Views)

Davido To Sue Susan For 30 Billion Naira Over False Pregnancy Claim / Blessing Okoro Speaks After Her Arrest Over False Property Claim / Comedian Ellen Baby Wants Bobrisky Freed, Displays #FreeBobrisky (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

27-year-old Lecturer Assistant Freed After Two Years In Jail Over False R*pe Aga by viktohmoses(m): 10:53am On Feb 12, 2020
A 27-year-old lecturer assistant at Nelson Mandela University (NMU) has been discharged and acquitted after he was found guiltless over a r*pe case he didn’t commit.

Osiphesona Ngcanga,a Master’s degree student spent two years in St Alban’s Prison in Port Elizabeth after previously found guilty of r*ping a “drunk and unconscious” commerce student at a birthday party on February 1, 2017 in Kabega Park by a Port Elizabeth magistrate, Nolitha Bara.

Nevertheless, on January 14, Makhanda High Court judges Sunil Rugunanan and Buyiswa Majiki reversed the judgment after one of six witnesses testified that he saw Ngcanga and the woman dancing together, smiling, flirting, kissing and talking to each other outside the party at which 17 people (many of them students) attended.

While one of the party-goers called back into the house, it was observed that the lady turned the call down and went back to Ngcanga on her own self.

Though it was alleged that the lady was r*ped while sleeping in a car outside the party venue, Judges Sunil Rugunanan and Buyiswa Majiki found the testimony of one of the key witnesses who was also drunk at the time of the incident to be “unreliable and contradictory” alongside that of other state witnesses.

Rugunanan said:

“The magistrate’s overall approach to her evaluation of the evidence, and particularly the credibility findings in favour of the state witnesses, clearly overlooked the material shortcomings and discrepancies in their evidence and … fell short of the onus.

“No evidence was produced to prove that four glasses of wine and the mix of vodka and Coke consumed by the complainant caused her judgment or consciousness to be adversely affected.

“Given that it was the complainant’s own evidence that this quantity of alcohol was not excessive, I think the mere consumption falls far short of proof beyond reasonable doubt that there was a diminution or impairment of her faculties in a sense that her sensibilities were either dulled or that she had an exuberant or over-optimistic frame of mind which caused her to take risks.”

Upon being released, Ngcanga said he will be registering at NMU to finish his master’s degree. He told DispatchLive;

“I am also talking to my lawyers to see if the state can compensate me for the two years I spent in prison for a crime I did not commit.”

source:https://yawanigeria.com/

Re: 27-year-old Lecturer Assistant Freed After Two Years In Jail Over False R*pe Aga by seunlayi(m): 11:01am On Feb 12, 2020
God

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ronaldo Gets Ethereum Token As Juventus Tokenizes Players / Twitter User Found Dead After Saying "Anybody Can Die Anytime" / What Apostle Suleman Said About Yahoo Boys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.