Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,753 members, 7,915,108 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 04:29 PM

Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad (8111 Views)

Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo / Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About / Sad Truths About Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by 79733139(m): 12:35pm On Feb 20, 2020
Hello, what country (and state/province) did you relocate from?

EgunMogaji2:

We continue to be exceptions. I’m nowhere near pension receiving age. The RadAutoWorks seems to be a young couple nowhere near pension age and what they’ve planted in Nigeria couldn’t possibly be from some converted pension money.

Some of us just love Nigeria and came back to make significant investment. Has nothing to do with pension.

1 Like

Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by dgee1(m): 1:33pm On Feb 20, 2020
EgunMogaji2:
All of this is subjective.

There’s good and bad in every single country in the world. I’ve met people from Sweden and Norway who migrated to the USA and had nothing but negative about these two countries that I think are above par.

I moved back to Nigeria over a year ago and frankly I wish I had done the move sooner.

Is it shangrila? It depends. But I’m having fun here.

Of course it’s probably my age bracket, exposure and ability.
Please I'm looking for a job. I have a degree in Applied Chemistry but also ready to take up any responsibility that may be available. If you could, please help me. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by EgunMogaji2: 2:46pm On Feb 20, 2020
dgee1:
Please I'm looking for a job. I have a degree in Applied Chemistry but also ready to take up any responsibility that may be available. If you could, please help me. Thanks

I’m not doing serious business yet to take on staff as I’m touring Nigeria. Please register on Twitter if you haven’t, many good people there.

Good luck.
Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by EgunMogaji2: 2:47pm On Feb 20, 2020
79733139:

I’m an exCalifornian though lived in Texas for 4 years.
Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by EgunMogaji2: 2:51pm On Feb 20, 2020
salford1:

Atleast, the money invested must have come from somewhere (Most likely not Nigeria). Those abroad can also follow your lead by making that money overseas then return to invest in Nigeria if they are business minded.

I’m all for migration.
Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by radautoworks: 3:54pm On Feb 20, 2020
79733139:

Houston, TX
Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by Kenn55: 4:54pm On Feb 20, 2020
There are still southerners in Borno today making money and have refused to leave. Some of them have narrowly escaped being killed on numerous occasions yet they love it in Borno and will not contemplate leaving there. There are also some people who will not live in Borno or anywhere in the NE even if you pay them 10m a week, they rather drive Keke in their village than live there.

This is all about perspective and what you value most in your life, there is no right or wrong answer. We can't all see things the same way. What i value most may not be what you value. My first priority may be your last priority.

As for me and my family, i am not going to live in Nigeria even if you pay me 100m a month. The next time i will call Nigeria my home again is when i am retired and a grand father and i'm going straight to my own town estate to live. This is the only time i will go back and live in Nigeria. As for spending my youthful and working age in Nigeria, it is a NO NO for me. How i see life is different and no matter the amount i have in Nigeria, i just can't be happy seeing how things are working in that country.

A day before i left Nigeria with my family, i changed 10m of my own money to dollars which was used for the initial settlement abroad. I wasn't poor in Nigeria so i see things way beyond this money talk that is always the center of this kind of argument about relocation and non relocation.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by 79733139(m): 5:06pm On Feb 20, 2020
So, let me understand things clearly now, you went to the United States, made some money (and contacts), then you came back to Nigeria to invest and settle down...

And yet all your post and replies are discouraging young people from doing the same thing?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by salford: 5:15pm On Feb 20, 2020
Kenn55:

There are still southerners in Borno today making money and have refused to leave. Some of them have narrowly escaped being killed on numerous occasions yet they love it in Borno and will not contemplate leaving there. There are also some people who will not live in Borno or anywhere in the NE even if you pay them 10m a week, they rather drive Keke in their village than live there.

This is all about perspective and what you value most in your life, there is no right or wrong answer. We can't all see things the same way. What i value most may not be what you value. My first priority may be your last priority.

As for me and my family, i am not going to live in Nigeria even if you pay me 100m a month. The next time i will call Nigeria my home again is when i am retired and a grand father and i'm going straight to my own town estate to live. This is the only time i will go back and live in Nigeria. As for spending my youthful and working age in Nigeria, it is a NO NO for me. How i see life is different and no matter the amount i have in Nigeria, i just can't be happy seeing how things are working in that country.

A day before i left Nigeria with my family, i changed 10m of my own money to dollars which was used for the initial settlement abroad. I wasn't poor in Nigeria so i see things way beyond this money talk that is always the center of this kind of argument about relocation and non relocation.
True. I did not do it for money too. I went to to the UK for my masters, then my eyes opened and I realised how bad of a country Nigeria was. I vexed that my parents decided to return to Nigeria after their studies in the UK in the 70s. I considered my older siblings lucky to have been born in the UK. They relocated after their secondary school in Nigeria in the mid 90s.

I wasn't doing bad in Nigeria as well before I eventually relocated to live permanently abroad. Not long after my masters in the UK, I was in Nigeria for about 2 years searching for jobs..this was during the GEJ era. I interviewed with GE, DFID, Rocket internet (one of the major investors in Jumia), a German financial organization that invests in MFB in Africa, and Lagos State government. I eventually settled for the German financial firm..

Soon enough, I got tired of the Nigerian system. I relocated for peace of mind and sanity.. I just couldn't stand how corrupt and morally bankrupt Nigerian politicians were..They have no atom of mercy and intergrity in them. Those thugs in power, I just couldn't stand them. I hated everytime I turn on the news and hear about pensioners not receiving their pension, about someone looting pensions, about the corrupt politicians commissioning a white elephant project, the looting senators/hors, property demolitions without compensation for projects government will never complete etc. I was losing my mind. My wife and I decided to call it quits and move on. It took about 3 years to settle abroad, but we are now even doing much better than we were in Nigeria.

Some people are okay with the way Nigeria is, and some of us thought we deserve better. I do not hold any grudge against anyone that decides to live in Nigeria or travel abroad. We are all adults and making choices is one of our God given characteristics.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by Philzzzy: 6:25pm On Feb 20, 2020
I believe most monies you used in establishing your chains of business here in Nigeria and US were all made from Nigeria. Even the exposure and the many mortgage flipping was here in Nigeria and not in the US

Rest your nerves and let people find there paths. My wishes to you is that may the fire burning in Nigeria not consume these things you’ve laboured years in America to erect.

EgunMogaji2:

Always curious why they whine and not move back to where they came from.

I meet so many foreigners in ordinary Ibadan, not even Abuja or Lagos who are doing quite well for themselves here.

Met a Philippino operating a tomato farm here the other day.

5 Likes

Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by Nig4Greatness: 6:43pm On Feb 20, 2020
It's appalling and very disturbing the way Nigerians talk ill and evil of their country.we can't keep focusing on the wrongs while extolling the greatness of other countries.no country is paradise on earth.
The i want peace of mind ,sanity or system that works theory has to stop.Live and let's live,if you want to move abroad,please move with your reasons and stop questioning the sanity or judgement of those who choose to remain or those who choose to return back.

6 Likes

Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by EgunMogaji2: 8:01pm On Feb 20, 2020
Philzzzy:
I believe most monies you used in establishing your chains of business here in Nigeria and US were all made from Nigeria. Even the exposure and the many mortgage flipping was here in Nigeria and not in the US

Rest your nerves and let people find there paths. My wishes to you is that may the fire burning in Nigeria not consume these things you’ve laboured years in America to erect.

Where have I ever stopped anyone from following their path? Which one is my business as to how you make life decisions? Trust me that I don’t care near enough and you’re barking up the wrong tree. Am I a visa officer?

The fact that I profess a love for Nigeria and I’m not opening threads up and down about migrating to Canada or some other god forsaken place I know rubs many wrong on here.

Guess what? I ain’t changing my position.

I love Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by EgunMogaji2: 8:04pm On Feb 20, 2020
Nig4Greatness:
It's appalling and very disturbing the way Nigerians talk ill and evil of their country.we can't keep focusing on the wrongs while extolling the greatness of other countries.no country is paradise on earth.
The i want peace of mind ,sanity or system that works theory has to stop.Live and let's live,if you want to move abroad,please move with your reasons and stop questioning the sanity or judgement of those who choose to remain or those who choose to return back.

And it’s this easy. Bravo.

I’m from a different generation.
Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by Philzzzy: 8:17pm On Feb 20, 2020
Relax man. Positive vibes only

EgunMogaji2:

Where have I ever stopped anyone from following their path? Which one is my business as to how you make life decisions? Trust me that I don’t care near enough and you’re barking up the wrong tree. Am I a visa officer?

The fact that I profess a love for Nigeria and I’m not opening threads up and down about migrating to Canada or some other god forsaken place I know rubs many wrong on here.

Guess what? I ain’t changing my position.

I love Nigeria.
Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by EgunMogaji2: 8:19pm On Feb 20, 2020
Philzzzy:
Relax man. Positive vibes only

Relax? grin

That’s rich.

I’m sitting at a hunters gathering drinking palm wine and eating bush meat. You are the one needing the relaxation buddy grin

Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by Philzzzy: 8:22pm On Feb 20, 2020
Protect your drink oo, here’s not yankee grin
EgunMogaji2:

Relax? grin

That’s rich.

I’m sitting at a hunters gathering drinking palm wine and eating bush meat. You are the one needing the relaxation buddy grin

3 Likes

Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by EgunMogaji2: 8:40pm On Feb 20, 2020
Philzzzy:
Protect your drink oo, here’s not yankee grin

Very true Sir, duly noted.

Today I found that there’s a difference between emu and oguro cool

1 Like

Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by nlPoster: 9:01pm On Feb 20, 2020
Hm, learning is a continuous experience anyway.

You just found out?

Or you're being sarcastic.
Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by radautoworks: 5:49am On Feb 21, 2020
Nig4Greatness:

Hey! Been a minute. How you been?
Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by CutieKing: 3:33pm On Feb 21, 2020
Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by Nig4Greatness: 7:46am On Feb 23, 2020
radautoworks:

Hey! Been a minute. How you been?

Yeah....am good...lost some contacts.Hows it going ?.
My regards to everyone.

1 Like

Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by scoundrel(f): 5:03pm On Mar 06, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Relax? grin

That’s rich.

Hmm. See as person fat. If one is that fat in the hands then I don’t want to imagine the person’s face or body.
Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by genq(m): 5:20pm On Jan 03, 2021
Really enjoyed reading through this thread.
Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by Nobody: 1:03am On Jan 04, 2021
sweetmelanin:

True..

In fact I was in Nigeria from end of November - January and boy, did I regret booking my ticket for so long! .. the situation of things are just too bad. Heat, mosquitoes, dust and filth everywhere.. there's literally no fresh air in Lagos. lack of jobs, frustration on everyone's face, the fact that NOTHING works, the overwhelming sense of discouragement and being stuck in a hopeless country... I was already exhausted by the end of week 2! Nigeria sucks and almost every young person I know wants to leave sad

My recent experience in naija is what prompted this thread as I need to remind those abroad of the realities in case people are getting those "no place like home" nostalgic feelings.

There's no hope for Nigeria anymore.. those who can leave should leave and those abroad should stay put.

Lmaoooo!

Which part of Lagos did you stay please?

This is the danger of a single story.

I will advise to just stay put in the UK because the realities are clearly different and you are ignorant of the Nigeria you claim to know.

There are so many places to meet people, hangout in Lagos & enjoy the Raw Nigerian food before you travel back.

So please, tell us where exactly did you stay in Lagos.
Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by Nobody: 12:31pm On Nov 14, 2021
For someone who supposedly hates everything about Nigeria, this sweetmelanin spends ALL her time on a site dedicated to her hated country.

Why the cognitive dissonance?

Let me guess...
She needs to distract herself from the fact that she is taxed to the hilt and will never be able to offset them in this life. Meaning she is set to work into old age as the banks own everything. grin

Anyway, this is an attempt to introduce the antiwork subreddit to you. Go over there and see how white people are crying about their situation because they don't own anything. It's all an illusion.

And don't bother lying about doing better than the whites because we both know that is impossible. Hopefully, you will join hands with them as they attempt to take down capitalism. That should make you focus on your beloved society instead of here.
I will not read your reply. So don't bother.
Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by Gerrard59(m): 3:26am On Nov 16, 2021
sweetmelanin:

True..

In fact I was in Nigeria from end of November - January and boy, did I regret booking my ticket for so long! .. the situation of things are just too bad. Heat, mosquitoes, dust and filth everywhere.. there's literally no fresh air in Lagos. lack of jobs, frustration on everyone's face, the fact that NOTHING works, the overwhelming sense of discouragement and being stuck in a hopeless country... I was already exhausted by the end of week 2! Nigeria sucks and almost every young person I know wants to leave sad

My recent experience in naija is what prompted this thread as I need to remind those abroad of the realities in case people are getting those "no place like home" nostalgic feelings.

There's no hope for Nigeria anymore.. those who can leave should leave and those abroad should stay put.

Re: Debunking The Myths Of Living Abroad by Nobody: 5:24am On Nov 16, 2021
Loneliness in abroad is on another level, aside that, I think every other things are better when compared to Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do I Resolve The Wrong Date Of Birth On My Transcript / What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. / America And Canada Not As Advertised

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.