Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,829 members, 7,872,781 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 09:44 PM

The deadly Coronavirus Has Been Confirmed in Africa - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The deadly Coronavirus Has Been Confirmed in Africa (459 Views)

Second Case Of Coronavirus Confirmed In Nigeria / Third case of Coronavirus confirmed in South Africa / Six More Cases Of Mokeypox Confirmed In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The deadly Coronavirus Has Been Confirmed in Africa by DropsMic(m): 11:27am On Feb 15, 2020
Egypt has confirmed its first case of coronavirus, also the first known infection on the continent of Africa. The patient - who is not from Egypt - did not show any symptoms of being ill.

Egypt on Friday confirmed its first case of coronavirus, making it the first known infection in Africa.

A joint statement from Egypt's health and population ministries said the patient was not from Egypt. It did not say what nationality the person was or where they had been prior to arriving in Egypt.

The patient — who did not show any symptoms of being ill — has been quarantined in a hospital for treatment and monitoring, the statement said.

Authorities have notified the World Health Organization (WHO).

WHO Egypt confirmed the news on its Twitter.
Until now, according to WHO information, no one on the continent  had tested positive for the deadly virus, officially named COVID-19.

Experts have raised concerns that countries with underdeveloped health systems — as can be found in Africa or Asia —would struggle to contain an outbreak.

With over 120 new deaths reported in China, the virus death toll mounted to nearly 1,400 on Friday. Over 64,000 cases have been diagnosed globally.

This weekend, a WHO-led joint mission will begin investigating the spread and severity of the outbreak in China, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.

The mission will focus particularly on understanding how more than 1,700 healthcare workers became infected.
In the US, health authorities will begin testing patients with flu-like symptoms for coronavirus, Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) authorities said Friday.

The move significantly expands the government's response to the outbreak and comes as a particularly harsh wave of influenza is hitting the country. Testing will begin in five states before expanding.

Health authorities say it can be difficult to distinguish between the two illnesses.

Currently, there are 15 confirmed cases of the coronavirus infection in the US. Some 600 people are currently under quarantine.

https://listwand.com/africa-has-just-confirmed-its-first-case-of-coronavirus/

Re: The deadly Coronavirus Has Been Confirmed in Africa by Nobody: 11:34am On Feb 15, 2020
Welcome to Africa. Let me begin to order facemasks from China.
Re: The deadly Coronavirus Has Been Confirmed in Africa by DropsMic(m): 11:38am On Feb 15, 2020
AmiciLord:
Welcome to Africa. Let me begin to order facemasks from China.

You might just end up ordering an infected face mask
Re: The deadly Coronavirus Has Been Confirmed in Africa by DropsMic(m): 11:39am On Feb 15, 2020
I knew it was only a matter of time
Re: The deadly Coronavirus Has Been Confirmed in Africa by yrex01(m): 11:40am On Feb 15, 2020
DropsMic:
I knew it was only a matter of time
oshe. General overseer, fada mbaka.
Re: The deadly Coronavirus Has Been Confirmed in Africa by emerged01(m): 11:46am On Feb 15, 2020
How can Africa handle this disease when China has failed to cub it? I’m afraid o,the disease is spreading fast.
Re: The deadly Coronavirus Has Been Confirmed in Africa by DropsMic(m): 12:32pm On Feb 15, 2020
emerged01:
How can Africa handle this disease when China has failed to cub it? I’m afraid o,the disease is spreading fast.

Once it gets to sub-Saharan Africa it will become a plague
Re: The deadly Coronavirus Has Been Confirmed in Africa by DropsMic(m): 12:32pm On Feb 15, 2020
yrex01:
oshe. General overseer, fada mbaka.

Na just common sense bro..
Re: The deadly Coronavirus Has Been Confirmed in Africa by jimmyolasun: 1:02pm On Feb 15, 2020
in case you get millions for account, now is the best time to spend it. eat, drink, flex and wait for the virus to come take you away. this is Africa, this is the end

Re: The deadly Coronavirus Has Been Confirmed in Africa by AIIyIic(f): 1:27pm On Feb 15, 2020
God have mercy
Re: The deadly Coronavirus Has Been Confirmed in Africa by DropsMic(m): 1:53pm On Feb 15, 2020
jimmyolasun:
this is Africa, this is the end

I sincerely hope not

(1) (Reply)

Chloroquine As A Potential Treatment And Prevention Covid-19(video/fox news) / COVID-19: See What This Young Boy Did To Solve Health Workers Main Challenge / Coronavirus: Trump Blast WHO, Calling Them China-centric.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.