Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,134 members, 7,887,280 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 05:45 AM

The Truth Hurts For Gunners! Ian Wright - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / The Truth Hurts For Gunners! Ian Wright (578 Views)

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Truth Hurts For Gunners! Ian Wright by MeGaStReEt: 10:23pm On Dec 15, 2010
THE Truth Hurts.

Patrice Evra threw a grenade in the direction of Arsene Wenger ahead of Monday's match by insisting Arsenal do not have the substance to win a major trophy.

As much as it pains me to say, Evra was 100 per cent right. And he was clearly vindicated by both the scoreline and the Gunners' performance at Old Trafford.

The Manchester United left-back merely said what lots of other people think.

In today's age, current professionals are generally not allowed to have an opinion, so fair play to Evra for his honesty.

He is not afraid to take the consequences of his words and I respect that.

I'm sure some Arsenal fans will continue to give me stick by saying I'm negative, but would they rather I lied, because I can't do that.

Strangers stop me in the street and accuse me of not loving the badge any more. That is not true - I am only being honest.

Arsenal played some decent football in the second half but they never really looked like hurting United despite seeing plenty of the ball.

Everyone remembers the Total Football of the Dutch team in the 1970s but they didn't win anything, either.

Arsenal have managed one draw and 10 defeats in 11 matches against both United and Chelsea. That says it all!

To think Wenger's team finished the 2003-04 season unbeaten but this current one, although extremely talented, are anything but invincible. As Evra says, when you look at the results, it is difficult to really say United and Arsenal are currently big rivals.

If Gooners are happy when Arsene Wenger says he doesn't need to sign any players next month, then so be it.

Manchester United defended exceptionally well. Nemanja Vidic delivered a monster performance, roughed up Marouane Chamakh early on and the Moroccan, apart from one chance, did not threaten much.

It was disappointing to see Samir Nasri start the game wide on the right.

I know he has played well there this season, but I thought he would have been more effective in his favourite central position where he is able to use space to greater effect. Just remember what he did for France against England. Instead, Wenger chose to play Tomas Rosicky in that hole behind Chamakh and he wasn't effective. Arsenal only managed a couple of shots in the game so that says it all.

The visitors had the possession in the second half but were frustrated. I thought Wojciech Szczesny was excellent in goal and I would definitely start him against Stoke on Saturday.

Given the choice, I'd rather have him in goal right now.

I have been critical of the two centre-backs, Laurent Koscielny and Sebastien Squillaci, but in fairness, I thought they both did OK.

On Monday night, I would love to have seen a Vieira, Overmars or Anelka attack United. But offensively, Arsenal were below-par and predictable and were well-marshalled by Alex Ferguson's back line.

I would have loved to have seen Theo Walcott play up front when he was introduced - Rio and Vidic would have been very worried by his pace.

I can understand why Theo is so frustrated at not starting many games - and why he is desperate to play in his favourite position. Because when he does begin a match, he is stuck out wide.

Wenger keeps insisting Theo's best position is up front alongside another striker so I find it very strange why he is not playing him in that spot.

Theo has been at the club a long time now. I think he has earned the right to knock on Wenger's door and ask for a few explanations.

As a former striker, I have absolutely no doubt Theo can be a prolific goalscorer - far more effective than as a right winger. He should be one of the focal points of the team not just a sub.

He was brought on with 13 minutes to go which is not long enough. Fergie, quite clearly, has worked out how to play Arsenal.

When you consider the Gunners arrived top, it would have been nice to have seen a better game.

There have been some brilliant Premier League clashes this season but, unfortunately, this was not one of the better ones. Now Arsenal must bounce back again from this latest disappointment and they cannot afford any more poor home performances.

Stoke will be tough on Saturday but Arsenal should have enough to win. Then on December 27, they must contend with Chelsea and Didier Drogba, who loves playing against them.

Arsenal HAVE to beat them. Another defeat and you will have to wonder whether they stand a chance of the title.

Chelsea also have a massive match against United on Sunday. On current form, United will edge it, even though they are not playing at their best.

And I am sticking with United as my tip for the title. Once they get themselves into position at the top in the second half of the season, they rarely give it away.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/sunsport_columnists/3276855/Ian-Wright-The-truth-hurts-for-Arsenal.html

(1) (Reply)

Manchester Unted On Press Strike / Even Fabregas Routed For Good Luck Jonathan / Milan Wins Title

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.