Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,487 members, 7,964,941 topics. Date: Thursday, 03 October 2024 at 03:30 AM

Drama As Enugu Rec Rejects Chime’s Gift - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Drama As Enugu Rec Rejects Chime’s Gift (798 Views)

4 Priests Beaten To Pulp As Enugu Govt Battles Anglican Church / APC Demands Removal Of Enugu REC / Drama As Enugu Rec Rejects Chime’s Gift (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Drama As Enugu Rec Rejects Chime’s Gift by omamokta: 12:19pm On Dec 16, 2010
THERE was drama in Enugu yesterday as the Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) for Enugu State, Mr. Josiah Uwazuruonye, turned down the Christmas gifts sent to the premises of the Enugu office of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) from the Government House, Enugu, saying he did not need them to survive.

He said since the gifts were coming from an interested party (Governor Sullivan Chime) in the elections in which INEC will play the role of an umpire, it would amount to compromising the integrity and credibility of the commission to accept such gifts now that the new INEC has vowed to live up to expectations of Nigerians in the next year’s elections.

We gathered that the gift items included four cows, about fifty bags of rice, cartons of tin tomatoes and wine and that they were delivered to the INEC office on Tuesday evening by protocol officers.

Sources hinted yesterday that Uwazuruonye was not comfortable with the gesture when he was informed about it and promptly ordered the government officials to take the items away from the premises of the commission.

When the news of the mild drama made the round yesterday and newsmen made inquiries, the Resident Electoral Commissioner had said nothing happened but later spoke , saying he did not need such gifts to do his work, especially when it was coming from an interested party in the crucial elections next year.

He further clarified that it is an offence for anyone working in the commission to receive such gesture when elections are drawing near.

His words: “I rejected the gifts because I don’t require cow or any other gift from the governor or any person to do my work. No matter how you look at it, whether it is offered in the spirit of the season or not, people will say you have been compromised, that you have been bribed.

“Beyond that, however, I want to say that it is very wrong of the government to do so, especially knowing the situation of our politics, which the present INEC is trying to salvage.

“If it were in the military regime when you receive such a thing, you will be said to have entered a treaty but now, such gifts will earn you disqualification,” he stated.

www.compassnewspaper.com
Re: Drama As Enugu Rec Rejects Chime’s Gift by omamokta: 12:22pm On Dec 16, 2010
Kai! wetin dey happen to this governor? The other day it was a shouting match between him and Nwodo, today his christmas gift was rejected. I hope this guy will not be denied the ticket. I want him to continue cos he is doing a great job in Enugu. Up Sullivan!
Re: Drama As Enugu Rec Rejects Chime’s Gift by IVORY2009(m): 12:41pm On Dec 16, 2010
Wow if all state electoral commissioner can be like dis, den the 4th coming electn wil hv been 70% free n fair.
Re: Drama As Enugu Rec Rejects Chime’s Gift by Kx: 12:48pm On Dec 16, 2010
Thats highly commendable.
Re: Drama As Enugu Rec Rejects Chime’s Gift by ifyalways(f): 12:57pm On Dec 16, 2010
Kai,i bet this so called gift was funded from the state coffers.
IVORY2009:

Wow if all state electoral commissioner can be like dis, den the 4th coming electn wil hv been 70% free n fair.
Im not too impressed.
It might all be a well-scripted verse . . .reject this during the day,get the masses high with songs of his bravery ,accept a bigger fish/gift at night.who knows undecided
@Topic,If dem reject am make he forward am go Motherless babies home now.
Re: Drama As Enugu Rec Rejects Chime’s Gift by Nobody: 1:04pm On Dec 16, 2010
omamokta:

THERE was drama in Enugu yesterday as the Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) for Enugu State, Mr. Josiah Uwazuruonye, turned down the Christmas gifts sent to the premises of the Enugu office of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) from the Government House, Enugu, saying he did not need them to survive.

He said since the gifts were coming from an interested party (Governor Sullivan Chime) in the elections in which INEC will play the role of an umpire, it would amount to compromising the integrity and credibility of the commission to accept such gifts now that the new INEC has vowed to live up to expectations of Nigerians in the next year’s elections.

We gathered that the gift items included[b] four cows, about fifty bags of rice, cartons of tin tomatoes and wine[/b] and that they were delivered to the INEC office on Tuesday evening by protocol officers.

Sources hinted yesterday that Uwazuruonye was not comfortable with the gesture when he was informed about it and promptly ordered the government officials to take the items away from the premises of the commission.

When the news of the mild drama made the round yesterday and newsmen made inquiries, the Resident Electoral Commissioner had said nothing happened but later spoke , saying he did not need such gifts to do his work, especially when it was coming from an interested party in the crucial elections next year.

He further clarified that it is an offence for anyone working in the commission to receive such gesture when elections are drawing near.

His words: “I rejected the gifts because I don’t require cow or any other gift from the governor or any person to do my work. No matter how you look at it, whether it is offered in the spirit of the season or not, people will say you have been compromised, that you have been bribed.

“Beyond that, however, I want to say that it is very wrong of the government to do so, especially knowing the situation of our politics, which the present INEC is trying to salvage.

“If it were in the military regime when you receive such a thing, you will be said to have entered a treaty but now, such gifts will earn you disqualification,” he stated.

www.compassnewspaper.com

who says the guy is a saint ?

He needs brown envelopes not cow or tomatoes.wtf
Re: Drama As Enugu Rec Rejects Chime’s Gift by otukpo(f): 2:19pm On Dec 16, 2010
i hope this is for real.
If all REC's will do this for real, then Jega /GEJ will be the Heroes.

But i know that in a free and fair election in Enugugu state, Chime will win cos he is working.
[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Drama As Enugu Rec Rejects Chime’s Gift by Nobody: 3:22pm On Dec 16, 2010
The revolution has started. First, Save Nigeria Group rejects GEJ $50,000, then Ayoka Adebayo is forced to resign as REC and now Enugu REC rejects the governor's gift. Thats the begining of ethical revolution. We should try to make change in our immediate constituency.
Re: Drama As Enugu Rec Rejects Chime’s Gift by Nobody: 3:38pm On Dec 16, 2010
Oh I almost wept wit joy on reading dis! The Enugu REC must b applauded. Fellow NLs lets join 2 change dis corruptn in Nig. Pls
Re: Drama As Enugu Rec Rejects Chime’s Gift by okeyxyz(m): 5:02pm On Dec 16, 2010
~Bluetooth:

who says the guy is a saint ?

He  needs brown envelopes not cow or tomatoes.wtf

eg: $50K, transport money, GEJ style, abi? grin
Re: Drama As Enugu Rec Rejects Chime’s Gift by okstol: 5:09pm On Dec 16, 2010
Sullivan wetin be ur own self? Abi u wan spoil d work u ve done in Enugu. Odi egwuo
Re: Drama As Enugu Rec Rejects Chime’s Gift by JUO(m): 5:54pm On Dec 16, 2010
good news
Re: Drama As Enugu Rec Rejects Chime’s Gift by chidozman(m): 6:04pm On Dec 16, 2010
Nice stand.Am sure the one in Delta state will accept,

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Naira Could Hit Year-low Vs Dollar Next Week / 10 Minutes From The Presidential Villa / Police Recover Bomb In Enugu As Chime Flags Off Campaign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.