Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,138 members, 7,939,591 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 08:46 AM

Did England Suck Last Night, Or What? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Did England Suck Last Night, Or What? (1167 Views)

One Lesson I Learnt From Last Night EL-CLASSICO / England launch last minute snatch of Alex Iwobi from Nigeria. / England Defender Rio Ferdinand Made A Chief In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did England Suck Last Night, Or What? by Cyclone5(m): 7:13am On Jun 02, 2007
England 1 Brazil 1

Simple ball retention was beyond England last night. And its not as if Brazil bothered to close down or put pressure on the players in possession. England just didn't have a clue about how to work and opening. There best tactic was long balls into the arms of the Brazilian keeper.

And what was up with all that hard tackling? Was the world cup at stake.

Alan Smith! Se dat guy na footballer. Hawu! Ball control sef elude am.

Those who keep bleating on about Frank Lampard. I hope you saw your lamp shade of a hero reflected in his full glory last night. All you needed was a a nice dress and a shop window and he would have been right at home.

Poor Joe Cole tried so hard to put himself in the spotlight. Im step over reach step down at one point. As much as Mourinho is an ass its true what he says about Joe Cole and him playing to the gallery and for self glory.

If Beckham na saviour then na torture for England O. While he did no wrong, let's be honest, he has neither spark or the ability to break down a defence. Maybe he was trying to play it cool yesterday and not ruffle any feathers but that really is his normal game.

I am beginning to suspect that it was Maclaren who was pulling the strings and making a mess of things during Sven's doderring tenure. Sven was clearly too busy with the ladies to be bothered about footie never mind running a team.

And Maclaren had the gall to call it a good performance. Clearly he was watching the match on PS3!
Re: Did England Suck Last Night, Or What? by topeorekoy(m): 9:11am On Jun 02, 2007
personally, i think england is just a team with individual talents and not a team. GERRARD was voted the man of the match. that late goal was a so sad. anyway the game was suppose to end in a draw.

i hope Mclaren didnt collect money from owen? how can a player who hasnt played for his club for so long be in the england team. Brazil will never do that.
these are pix from the match

Re: Did England Suck Last Night, Or What? by somze(f): 9:21am On Jun 02, 2007
There are only 2 things i agree with you on

Cyclone5:

England 1 Brazil 1

1. Simple ball retention was beyond England last night. And its not as if Brazil bothered to close down or put pressure on the players in possession. England just didn't have a clue about how to work and opening. There best tactic was long balls into the arms of the Brazilian keeper.

2. Those who keep bleating on about Frank Lampard. I hope you saw your lamp shade of a hero reflected in his full glory last night. All you needed was a a nice dress and a shop window and he would have been right at home.

3. If Beckham na saviour then na torture for England O. While he did no wrong, let's be honest, he has neither spark or the ability to break down a defence. Maybe he was trying to play it cool yesterday and not ruffle any feathers but that really is his normal game.

4. I am beginning to suspect that it was Maclaren who was pulling the strings and making a mess of things during Sven's doderring tenure. Sven was clearly too busy with the ladies to be bothered about footie never mind running a team.

5. And Maclaren had the gall to call it a good performance. Clearly he was watching the match on PS3!

1. England were closed down by Brazil in their own half whenever they got the ball.

2. Frank played a simple (but perhaps slow) game. Picking him out for criticism only shows anti-chelsea sentiment. Most of Gerrard's contribution was in defense, did it mean he had a bad game?

3. Oga, Beckham played very well. Most of the nice touches England showed were as a result of his presence. Hell, the goal was his making. England has not played such football in a long time and remember they were playing against Brazil. I am not saying they were superb, i'm just saying they have improved.

4. Mclaren was a mistake, i can not still imagine what the FA was thinking. Even Sven had a much better era. England has no attacking flair, they can not break open teams, no counter attack. The left side - lamps, Cole and shorey - saw much more of the ball esp in counter attack yet they were easily closed down by the Brazillians. Cole held on too long to the ball, Shorey does not understand quick passing and lamps seem to prefer to pass short or backwards and run forward. No creative spark whatsoever. The full backs could not even deliver efficient crosses when needed. Owen held on too the ball when a quick cross or pass would have been more efficient. England simply lacks attacking flair.

5. Well judging by his standards, it was a good game. During his time i've seen much worse.
Re: Did England Suck Last Night, Or What? by kitaun(m): 11:19am On Jun 02, 2007
England na team?
Re: Did England Suck Last Night, Or What? by dayokanu(m): 6:47pm On Jun 03, 2007
The brazilians just chose to enjoy and play to the gallery else the margin would have been wide
Re: Did England Suck Last Night, Or What? by RuuDie(m): 1:04pm On Jun 04, 2007
It was a good game only cuz Brazil made it one;

All thru my viewing i kept thinking to myself, "this isn't a friendly match --- it is schooling" !

"Schooling" in many respects --- the Brazilians just came to Wembley to teach the English how football should be played, with ease , the ball doing all the running & not the man !

the disparity in quality was also very clearly evident --- the English love to rank themselves high up there with the worlds finest playing & talented football nations; this friendly showed what most already know but never admit --- a huge majority of England's players are just over-hyped & over-rated

dayokanu:

The brazilians just chose to enjoy and play to the gallery else the margin would have been wide

Guy, my sentiments exactly !
Re: Did England Suck Last Night, Or What? by chuckdee4(m): 5:16pm On Jun 04, 2007
Cyclone i agree with u inmany points

- Brazil did not close England down, instead they moved the ball n had England chasing sahdows for most parts of the first half, Brazilian players in the Spanish league (Which is far from over) did not take this game seriously, Ronaldinho had that unserious smile on his face all through the match. This was a 60% brazilian perfomance.

- Lampard always goes missing in the big games, remember the FA CUp finals, i didn't even know he was on the field until the goal, only Gerrard oput himself about, Alan Smith should not have been anywhere 100yards of that stadium, Owen is finished and England's strike force is dead (With the exclusion of Rooney), other players shoul dbe given a go. The English dudu's Bent n Defoe should be given a runin the team, when i listen to talk shows they even bring up names liek Ashton n Johnson, that just shows how racist the English can be, how can Bent be overlooked, the guys bangs in numerous goals in a crap team.

Overall, England suck and are too scared to admit it, at this rate them fit no qualify for Euros, Beckham did well but is not the answer to their problem, the long ball should be cut out of their play, they should put the ball on teh ground n play football else all this cross n nod no go carry them anywhere
Re: Did England Suck Last Night, Or What? by Cyclone5(m): 6:34pm On Jun 04, 2007
I hear you about and Defoe O! How can Smith enter the squad, nevermind 1st eleven ahead of them?! angry

They have both looked consistent goal threats in the premiership. Even Smith's manager does not have any faith in him.

Once Owen lost his pace his ability to sell penalties diminished considerably. Now its just a struggle for him. Like someone once said his second touch is a tackle! grin
Re: Did England Suck Last Night, Or What? by chuckdee4(m): 3:12pm On Jun 05, 2007
Even Agbonlahor had a better season than Smith, yet he didn't even make the team. England need to sort out their team selection before changing their tackings before they can even think of winning anything, as far as i'm concerned;

Lampard should not be in the team, he makes Gerrard look bad
Beckham should be given a role off the bench so they don't rely heavily on cross n nod
New strikers need to be given a chance along side Rooney

England can keep decieving themselves, FIFa rankings is a load of crap so they should not think they are as good as it says

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Watch Live Streaming Of World Athletics Championship In Daegu? / Why Do Nigerians Support Man. Utd? / Samuel Eto’o: Threatened With Death After His Shocking Revelations On The Camero

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.