Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,903 members, 7,938,706 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 11:23 AM

Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? (9607 Views)

Poll: Is Nigeria A Failed State?

Yes: 60% (71 votes)
No: 39% (47 votes)
This poll has ended

Osun State Is Now A Failed State. Received Only 55 Million In FG Allocation / Anambra Governship Debate Is Holding Today At Awka House / Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by 1025: 2:12pm On Dec 17, 2010
In addition. . .
A country known as the 5th or 6th largest oil producing but have failed refineries, fuel scarcity and queues everytime

A country that is just planning to install CCTV at airports at age 50 of independence but 96 years old

A country that still imports toothpick and matches at 50 of independence

A country that cant guarantee an hour power supply out of 24hrs for its citizens

A country where less than 500 legislatives spend 25% revenue and about 150million others spend 75%

A country that has cattles but still imports fresh milk

A country where poultries are finer than classrooms and graduates cant write about themselves

A country where you dont visit an exam centre but get the best result while those who read have to keep writing annually

A country where you have a monthly budget for mechanics cos your car will need him due to ditches (not potholes cos their sizes are bigger than the biggest pot) on the roads

A country where you walk and look back every min for security reasons

A country where robbers inform police of their upcoming operation in a particular area

A country where road is the only functioning means of transportation

A country where you spend 3hrs in traffic for a journey of 30 mins

A country where labour union is only for increase in civil servants salary while foreigners use citizens without pay and some citizens get maimed without compensation.

A country where nurses and doctors bark at patients (frustration) while patients beg with his money

A country where police rounds up innocent pple on streets and take them to prison without explanation or trial

Well, the answer is left for individuals to decide if its a failed state or successful one.

@oludashmi,
after reading the post above, shame just took over me. am i in this country or am i a citizen of this country? our saint jonathan goodluck will tell u that our population is too much for our oil. shame. what if we don't have oil at all?
our rulers are criminals eg. bode george - pdp chieftain. ex pdp bot chairman tonay annenih - N300b road reconstruction contract. obasanjo - $16b electricity.
1 million universities yet none is worth it. pls someone check a dictionary and tell me if there is a word like OVER-FAILED.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Phate07(m): 2:19pm On Dec 17, 2010

Almost, just hanging by its bare wiskers. angry
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by oludashmi(f): 2:36pm On Dec 17, 2010
1025:

@oludashmi,
after reading the post above, shame just took over me. am i in this country or am i a citizen of this country? our saint jonathan goodluck will tell u that our population is too much for our oil. shame. what if we don't have oil at all?
our rulers are criminals eg. bode george - pdp chieftain. ex pdp bot chairman tonay annenih - N300b road reconstruction contract. obasanjo - $16b electricity.
1 million universities yet none is worth it. pls someone check a dictionary and tell me if there is a word like OVER-FAILED.
He has to say that or what do you expect of him. . .this same country announced $200 million (N30billion) for the entertainment industry when doctors were still on strike (anyway they dont use such hospitals). . . So goes to the cost of celebrating the 50 years of shameless and regressive living. The oil we have and the revenue we make out of it, if used selflessly and righteously can feed West Africa.

There is no word to describe Nigeria in the dico so dont bother yourself to avoid high BP
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by OchiAgha2(m): 2:51pm On Dec 17, 2010
People complain too much. There are people who actually want to change Nigeria for the better, yet the people do not give them a chance. Nigerian people deserve what they get. It is as simple as that.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by gadgetdeal(m): 2:54pm On Dec 17, 2010
I WILL SAY NIGERIA IS A semi-functional failed state, but if care is not taken we will become a full fledged failed state.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by turboman(m): 3:08pm On Dec 17, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

. . . I am 43 and still hip
A country where: Freedom of religion is gradually receding. You have gay Christian churches in Igboland being threatened to get burned down etc.

Give me your reasons why you you think Nigeria has not yet failed.

If this trash makes up your definition of a failed state, then i guess, saudi arabia, U.A.E, Qatar, kuwait and all other similar arab nations are all failed states.
In this light, i guess at the age you claimed you should be running a failed home with you les.bian partner and your adopted hom.ose.xual and les.bian children.
Naija will never be home to any form of homose.xual or le.sbian creature in the name of freedom or un-failed state sad
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by pdozie: 3:18pm On Dec 17, 2010
Nigeria woudn't even been described as a failed sate because it one never a state. It is rather 'many states in one'. The fact that that it is not one (as defined by the colonialists) set the foundation for failure. Its a miracle its still standing though tilted. It may eventually not fail if:

- Our leaders in federal, states, local government and even councils decide to remove greed from their dictionary.
- Fellow citizens decide to react and act rationally. E.g. why should a sane person drive the opposite way each time there is go-slow. Its sefishness. Everyone wants to go home fast but forgetting that by taking the opposie route you will block trafic coming the other way and then worson the traffic jam.
- Contractors deliver their contracts with sound quality even if they have upped the contract money. Its both greed and selfishness that will make one not only to hike a contrc=act value but uses very low quality materials to deliver (if he deliveres at all).

Tru true - some people dey laugh oo. But majority on the people in this tilted state are crying in anguish!!

1 Like

Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by okpismart: 3:20pm On Dec 17, 2010
May God Help Us . These facts are beyond comprehension. Its will take God's Grace to heal this land. I believe that grace is around the corner but we must play our part in 2011 and stop tying God's hand of help
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by gangar(m): 3:22pm On Dec 17, 2010
CBN sold $800M in one single day this week to support Naira. Despite that, the Naira depreciated by N3.0 at the autonomous market the same day. I think we are beginning the final approach at the failed state.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by HARDDON: 3:28pm On Dec 17, 2010
how wud u just wake up from your wet dreams and say ask this kinda Q?

Havent u read in basic classical physics that for each elastic material, the is an elastic limit? the after u have the yield point before a total breakdown?

in relation to 9ja, we are in an AILING yeilding point! anything little tiltin now, cud result in ,

NIGERIA IS NOT AA FAILED STATE BUT AN AILING STATE!
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by kabukabu50(m): 3:31pm On Dec 17, 2010
Nigeria right now compared to what it used to be in the 70s and 80s is an EPIC FAILED state, grin grin grin

There is absolutely NO light at the end of the tunnel for Nigeria grin grin

Any attempt at reform is quickly muted and put into a coffin,people accept bad government/lack of basic infrastructure/corruption/poverty as a way of life.

Nigerians just masqerade their disgust with the feeling of "E go betta", which of course we all know is never going to happen.

Nigeria is just one step away from child soldiers/RUF/massive looting/razing and all out chaos you see in sierra leone and Liberia.

Decent citizens should arm themselves because one of these days it will be like a scene from Resident Evil
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by lekanbar(m): 3:51pm On Dec 17, 2010
I don't think Nigeria is a failed state, because most of the top countries today have passed through the stage Nigeria is at the moment (i Think!!) wink

http://lekanbaruwa.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Meldrick(m): 4:25pm On Dec 17, 2010
ping pong:

Not yet but it will fail completely in 2015 when Ndi Igbo are denied the presidency.
If they are denied in 2015, It will be regarded as a succesful state. The baton lives the South South in 2018.

For now success is beaming with smiles in Nigeria.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by okpeolofu(m): 4:48pm On Dec 17, 2010
Nigeria is not a failed state!!! we still got some systems working for us. Just know that whenever a topic of this nature comes up and you say nasty things about your country,you are indirectly insulting yourself, because you are a component of the system. I would rather advise we lay bear the whole problems and profer solution(s) instead of preaching negativity. Imagine using a medium as this to preach positivity, alot hope will be risen amongst us and this will gradually transcend to the larger society and eventually make us a better and a great nation we so desired.
So friends we are not a failed people, we are faced with some problems; one of which is leadership. That is why we most make sure come 2011 we vote the right people. Nigeria is our identity,our home and our responsibilty, so lets make it a better place.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by hollars(m): 5:03pm On Dec 17, 2010
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, GOD IS IN CONTROL,
YOU GUYZ SHOULD BE THANKING GOD THAT WE DONT EXPEROENCE NATURAL DISASTERS IN THIS COUNTRY, IF NOT.HMMMMM!!!

cos i wonder what would be our fate if our income on oil could be so steady without war or crisis and yet we can't account for it neither can we point out the benefits,
Nigeria is not a failed state but might be SOON!!! especially if we vote in a radical again
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Mkpotu(m): 5:27pm On Dec 17, 2010
No, Nigeria is not a failed state!!!
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Dec 17, 2010
thweraja10:

Lailai failed Ke?

Its not a failed state at least things are still working here.
  Tell this to the average okadaman and and conductor on the street. Nigeria is a failed state.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by SSaemoenl(m): 5:33pm On Dec 17, 2010
[size=20pt]CAPITAL YES[/size]
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Goksyde: 5:46pm On Dec 17, 2010
We all have the opportunity to get on NL to debate, countries like Sudan and the rest can't do that. like someone said earlier we have not experienced Natural Disasters or something crazy. We should debate on topics that can help move the country forward. Does our government suck , YES but we should be thankful for where we are ,
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by buzugee(m): 6:03pm On Dec 17, 2010
nigeria is not a state grin cheesy grin
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by buzugee(m): 6:05pm On Dec 17, 2010
nigeria is not a failed state but the people in it are failed people. they wouldnt know what an opportunity is if it dropped on their laps and called them 'mama'
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by bolafex(f): 6:41pm On Dec 17, 2010
We may not be where we ought to be,but i think there is still hope for Nigeria;If only we would all put in a little effort and stop apportioning blame.No,Nigeria is not a failed state!
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Dec 17, 2010
turboman:

If this trash makes up your definition of a failed state, then i guess, saudi arabia, U.A.E, Qatar, kuwait and all other similar arab nations are all failed states.
In this light, i guess at the age you claimed you should be running a failed home with you les.bian partner and your adopted hom.ose.xual and les.bian children.
Naija will never be home to any form of homose.xual or le.sbian creature in the name of freedom or un-failed state sad

kids kids, plz grow up someday. This, I must say, is an irrelevant BS.

oludashmi:

In addition. . .
A country known as the 5th or 6th largest oil producing but have failed refineries, fuel scarcity and queues everytime

A country that is just planning to install CCTV at airports at age 50 of independence but 96 years old

A country that cant guarantee an hour power supply out of 24hrs for its citizens

A country where less than 500 legislatives spend 25% revenue and about 150million others spend 75%

A country where poultries are finer than classrooms and graduates cant write about themselves

A country where you dont visit an exam centre but get the best result while those who read have to keep writing annually

A country where you have a monthly budget for mechanics cos your car will need him due to ditches (not potholes cos their sizes are bigger than the biggest pot) on the roads

A country where robbers inform police of their upcoming operation in a particular area

A country where labour union is only for increase in civil servants salary while foreigners use citizens without pay and some citizens get maimed without compensation.

A country where nurses and doctors bark at patients (frustration) while patients beg with his money

A country where police rounds up innocent pple on streets and take them to prison without explanation or trial

Well, the answer is left for individuals to decide if its a failed state or successful one.

Merci bien!
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Dec 17, 2010
ONLY A REVOLUTION CAN CHANGE NIGERIA FROM FUTURE FAILURES WHICH WILL RUIN THE NATION
BUT FOR NOW NIGERIA ISNT A FALIED STATE YET BUT IT IS WALKING IN THAT PATH
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:18pm On Dec 17, 2010
All of you saying this country is a failed state should shut up abeg, if you are used to being a beer parlour pundit or potato couch pundit leave your emotional responses there.
Who says the Government is not in control of our borders? The situation in the Niger delta has the potential to have escalated into a full blown war with rebels controlling parts of the cities, not hiding in creeks. Nigeria is where we are because you wimps have sat down at home and hope someone else would champion the cause for change, if you all do not like the way things are like me come out and kick the pdp out. Rally friends family come out and vote , but wait that isnt going to happen is it?
Please you all should just go and sit down, if we are all ready to debate Nigeria's issues by all means, I hate our leaders but that does not absolve me from all the troubles in Nigeria.
Today we have a situation many of us never envisaged, tickets are no longer handed out like candy, there is stiff opposition within the ranks of the pdp. But I assure you whether Goodluck, Ribadu or Atiku at the end of the day there is a mechanism in this country that would not allow the country slide to anarchy. Sadly its that same mechanism that has made development slow, we are all too selfish to move this country to the failed state region and still too selfish to move it forward. Its gonna be slow and painful, you all forget that we were a bomb set together by the brits and so far we have not done too badly.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by EKONGKING: 7:24pm On Dec 17, 2010
oludashmi:

In addition. . .

A nation which cannot conduct proper census . How do you expect others to take u seriously
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Virgo83(m): 7:39pm On Dec 17, 2010
We need a Revolution
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:43pm On Dec 17, 2010
oludashmi:

In addition. . .
Are you living in this country? when was the last time you were in a queue? As for the refineries, they are a product of Nigerians like you and me refusing to let go of free money. The government has tried too many times and the workers frustrate it.
Seriously? CCTV? thats your yardstick for a failed state? at age 50 how many countries with the unique challenges Nigeria had state of the art technology in their airports?
You have certainly not been to ariaria or onitsha markets.
But at least there is small power na, is this what would make Nigeria a failed state? Its only a matter of time, we would get there.
Stop quoting sanusi out of context, the above is just wrong on many levels.
LOL and this falls into your category of failed states? Russia just bought a whole American ranch cowboys inclusive with over 1000 herd, that would be termed imoporting wouldn't it?

Does this make sense to you?

Again is this what makes the country a failed state? huh? You saying this happens only in failed states?

I don tire abeg, next!
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by MaJBlige(f): 7:51pm On Dec 17, 2010
Another round of gibberish: Since 2007, this question has been on discourse and una never find the answer? After all the topics on Nairaland part of which are listed below?

Is Nigeria Gradually Becoming A Failed State ?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-376424.0.html

Wole Soyinka: Nigeria, Failed State, Close To Break Up

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-413913.0.html

( Shocking Video ) Is Nigeria A Failed State?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-87345.0.html

Nigeria Is A Failed State! Rolfmao

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-377434.0.html

Is Nigeria A Failed State?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-35713.0.html

Nigeria: A Failed State?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-174816.0.html

Nigeria Failed State Number 14! Foreign Policy Magazine

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-475995.0.html

Again A Failed State

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-477091.0.html
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by PastorOla1: 7:58pm On Dec 17, 2010
What make a failed Nation in my own opinion is when Leadership  fails in her responsibilities to the Mases
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Pakavy(m): 8:22pm On Dec 17, 2010
nigeria a failed state?!nigerians in a failed state?!!, hav we given up?!!
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by luka1981(m): 8:55pm On Dec 17, 2010
nigeria is a failed state, period.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion / Heavy Shooting Scares Voters Away In Ebonyi / Presidency Appoints 12-man Committee To Probe Abduction Of Dapchi Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.