Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,853 members, 7,872,848 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 11:54 PM

"What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, 'I Am The Light Of The World' (john 8:12)?" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, 'I Am The Light Of The World' (john 8:12)?" (759 Views)

What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? / Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? / What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

"What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, 'I Am The Light Of The World' (john 8:12)?" by Nobody: 6:25pm On Feb 22, 2020
Question: "What did Jesus mean when He said, 'I am the Light of the World' (John 8:12)?"

Answer: “I am the Light of the world” (John 8:12) is the second of seven “I AM” declarations of Jesus, recorded only in John’s gospel, that point to His unique divine identity and purpose. In declaring Himself to be the Light of the world, Jesus was claiming that He is the exclusive source of spiritual light. No other source of spiritual truth is available to mankind.

There are two types of light in the world. We can perceive one, or both, or neither! When we are born into this world, we perceive physical light, and by it we learn of our Creator’s handiwork in the things we see. However, although that light is good, there is another Light, a Light so important that the Son of God had to come in order to both declare and impart it to men. John 8:12 records, “When Jesus spoke again to the people, He said, ‘I am the Light of the World. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but have the light of life.’” The allegory used by the Lord in this verse speaks of the light of His Truth, the light of His Word, the light of eternal Life. Those who perceive the true Light will never walk in spiritual darkness.

We take a candle into a room to dispel the darkness. Likewise, the Light of Jesus Christ has to be taken into the darkness of sin that engulfs the hearts and lives of those who are not following Him. That’s the condition behind having this Light—that we follow Him. If we do not follow Him, we will not have this light, this truth, this eternal life.

Physical light is necessary for physical life. The earth would certainly change very rapidly if there were no longer any sunlight. A forest full of trees with very thick canopies of foliage high above has very little plant life on the ground except for moss or lichen, which needs little sunlight. Plants will never move away from the light—they are said to be positively phototropic, drawn to the light. In the same way, spiritual light is necessary for spiritual life, and this can be a good test of our standing in Christ. The believer will always tend toward spiritual things; he will always tend toward fellowship, prayer, the Word of God, and so on. The unbeliever always does the opposite (John 1:5; 3:19–20) because light exposes his evil, and he hates the light. Indeed, no man can come into the true spiritual light of Jesus Christ, unless he is enabled (John 6:37).

Following Jesus is the condition of two promises in John 8:12. First, His followers will never walk in darkness, which is a reference to the assurance of salvation we enjoy. As true followers of the Light, we will never follow the ways of sin, never live in a state of continually sinning (1 John 1:5–7). Rather, we repent of our sin in order to stay close to the Light of the world. The second promise is that we will reflect the Light of Life. Just as He came as the Light of the world, He commands us to be “lights,” too. In Matthew 5:14–16 we see believers depicted as the light of the world. Just as the moon has no light of its own, reflecting the light of the sun, so are believers to reflect the Light of Christ so that all can see it in us. The Light is evident to others by the good deeds we do in faith and through the power of the Holy Spirit.

The emphasis here is maintaining a credible and obvious witness in the world, a witness that shows us to be faithful, God-honoring, trustworthy, sincere, earnest, and honest in all that we do. Also, we should always be ready to give an account of the hope that we have (1 Peter 3:15), for the gospel Light we have is not to be covered, but made obvious for all to see and benefit from, that they, too, may leave the darkness and come into the Light.
Re: "What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, 'I Am The Light Of The World' (john 8:12)?" by LUGBE: 6:26pm On Feb 22, 2020
God is indeed light
Re: "What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, 'I Am The Light Of The World' (john 8:12)?" by Nobody: 6:29pm On Feb 22, 2020
Jesus is the light, yes he is the only source of truth. He guides and leads those who follow him, the law of Christ becomes our law and guiding truth in this life if we accept and follow him and he will lead those who follow in into eternal rest and peace forever.
Some people have their truth but all such is only darkness that leads to eternal pain and torment.

Jesus is light accept him today.

1 Like

Re: "What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, 'I Am The Light Of The World' (john 8:12)?" by sonmvayina(m): 8:22pm On Feb 22, 2020
He is simply implying that his mother is Lucifer aka "light bearer".. And the morning star..
Re: "What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, 'I Am The Light Of The World' (john 8:12)?" by Nobody: 10:12pm On Feb 22, 2020
LIGHT connotes TRUTH, while DARKNESS is associated with FALSEHOOD.

So Jesus simply means the world is filled with falsehood and he alone is capable of revealing the TRUTH (undiluted without error) to mankind! smiley
Re: "What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, 'I Am The Light Of The World' (john 8:12)?" by malvisguy212: 12:02am On Feb 23, 2020
The whole world is not being lightened, he says, “Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness.” Which means that if we don’t follow him, we do walk in darkness. And where is that darkness? It is in the world and in our hearts. so It is Jesus or darkness. There is no third alternative. No other light. IT IS EITHER YOU ACCEPT HIM OR REJECT HIM. ITS YOUR CALL.

I love this passage because in verse 30. the bible say many believed in him.” This is good news.
Re: "What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, 'I Am The Light Of The World' (john 8:12)?" by Nobody: 6:34am On Feb 23, 2020
LUGBE:
God is indeed light
yea true, God is indeed light and no darkness in him at all.
Re: "What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, 'I Am The Light Of The World' (john 8:12)?" by Nobody: 6:36am On Feb 23, 2020
sonmvayina:
He is simply implying that his mother is Lucifer aka "light bearer".. And the morning star..
you are steep in satanism. Repent and come to the true light. Lucifer is a liar and a deciever whose aim is steal, kill and destroy your soul but Jesus came to save it. Repent of your sins and blasphemies.
Re: "What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, 'I Am The Light Of The World' (john 8:12)?" by Nobody: 6:38am On Feb 23, 2020
Maximus69:
LIGHT connotes TRUTH, while DARKNESS is associated with FALSEHOOD.

So Jesus simply means the world is filled with falsehood and he alone is capable of revealing the TRUTH (undiluted without error) to mankind! smiley
satan transforms himself into an angel of light to decieve anyone who will not receive the truth, dont be deceive by the false light that jehovah witness organisation dishes, repent today and receieve Jesus.
Re: "What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, 'I Am The Light Of The World' (john 8:12)?" by AntiChristian: 6:58am On Feb 23, 2020
So which Church denomination can the presence of these light be felt?

1. Jehovah witness.
2. Redeem C C G
3. Winners
4. Synagogue
5. Lord Chosen
6. Anglican
7. Catholic
8. Apostolic Faith
9. CAC
10. Presbyterian
11. Cherubim and Seraphim
12. TREM
13. Deeper Life
14. MFM
15. Celestial Church
16. Dunamis
17. Harvesters
18. Methodist
19. 7 days Adventists
20. And other thousands of denominations around. I have about five unpopular churches in my street not included here!

Jehovah witness will claim they are the only one in light! Another will claim Jesus drank tea with their GO.

Light of the world or light of disunity!

All Christians are united in what they believe about Jesus (right?)

[Jesus said,] I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one. . . . I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one—I in them and you in me— so that they may be brought to complete unity. (John 17:20–23)

Over you JW and co!
Re: "What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, 'I Am The Light Of The World' (john 8:12)?" by helinues: 7:01am On Feb 23, 2020
Candle light Jesus wey no fit see his own yansh...

He should have seen his arrest coming if he is truly the light cos light see far more than our imagination
Re: "What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, 'I Am The Light Of The World' (john 8:12)?" by Nobody: 7:18am On Feb 23, 2020
malvisguy212:
The whole world is not being lightened, he says, “Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness.” Which means that if we don’t follow him, we do walk in darkness. And where is that darkness? It is in the world and in our hearts. so It is Jesus or darkness. There is no third alternative. No other light. IT IS EITHER YOU ACCEPT HIM OR REJECT HIM. ITS YOUR CALL.

I love this passage because in verse 30. the bible say many believed in him.” This is good news.
yes,Darkness of sin is in the world and in men, the bible said people love darkness rather than light because their works are evil, this is the condemnation on the world. They prefer lies to the truth because of their desire/love for sin.

1 Like

Re: "What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, 'I Am The Light Of The World' (john 8:12)?" by Nobody: 12:20pm On Mar 13, 2020
Vbb

(1)

See What Jesus (God Of Chosen) Did Today At The Lords Chosen Easter Retreat / What Do These Numbers Mean? / The TVA, The Gods, And The Aliens.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.