Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,210 members, 7,884,207 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 06:20 AM

Why Do Igbos Love Christmas So Much? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbos Love Christmas So Much? (1416 Views)

Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? / Why Do Igbos Pronounce English Words Incorrectly?? / Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Igbos Love Christmas So Much? by AloyEmeka5: 2:50pm On Dec 17, 2010
By Wednesday next week, more than half of Igbos around the world will converge in South Eastern Nigeria for Christmas. Over 60% of the remaining ones did not travel because of their job or finances. Why do Igbos love Christmas so much?. Is there anything in Christmas that connects with Igbo culture?
Re: Why Do Igbos Love Christmas So Much? by kokoye(m): 5:09pm On Dec 17, 2010
The showing off part of course

my house big pass yours

my car better pass yours

my babe yellow pass yours

runs away
Re: Why Do Igbos Love Christmas So Much? by presido1: 5:35pm On Dec 17, 2010
Nwa Eze anaghi ato na mba.
Re: Why Do Igbos Love Christmas So Much? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Dec 17, 2010
presido1:

Nwa Eze anaghi ato na mba.
Eziokwu.
The trips are more social than religious. It is an opportunity to meet with family and friends who have gone to search for bread in far away land. Thats the Igbo brand of family reunion or thanksgiving.
Re: Why Do Igbos Love Christmas So Much? by AloyEmeka5: 5:55pm On Dec 17, 2010
kokoye:

my house big pass yours

my car better pass yours

runs away

Their children are Christmas crazy more than the adults. So, are the things you listed above the reason for Igbo kids to love Christmas so much. Are you telling me that the kids are happy because they want to show off their cars, houses, yellow chics, etc?.
Re: Why Do Igbos Love Christmas So Much? by InkedNerd(f): 6:02pm On Dec 17, 2010
I'm not a Christmas fan. Never was tongue. The feeling of togetherness is nice though.
Re: Why Do Igbos Love Christmas So Much? by presido1: 7:36pm On Dec 17, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Their children are Christmas crazy more than the adults. So, are the things you listed above the reason for Igbo kids to love Christmas so much. Are you telling me that the kids are happy because they want to show off their cars, houses, yellow chics, etc?.
Gave you out!!!!!! Confirmed that you are not Igbo.
Re: Why Do Igbos Love Christmas So Much? by OchiAgha2(m): 9:17pm On Dec 17, 2010
I remember when I was younger and I  went to my village in Umuahia. I was expecting the usual gifts like I normally would get when I was in the States. I was in for a rude awakening when I didn't receive anything but Egusi Soup!  angry
Re: Why Do Igbos Love Christmas So Much? by InkedNerd(f): 10:07pm On Dec 17, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

[b]I remember when I was younger and I  went to my village in Umuahia. I was expecting the usual gifts like I normally would get when I was in the States. I was in for a rude awakening [/b]when I did receive anything but Egusi Soup!  angry

lol silly boy grin. What's wrong with egusi soup? undecided
Re: Why Do Igbos Love Christmas So Much? by AloyEmeka5: 11:49pm On Dec 17, 2010
presido1:

Gave you out!!!!!! Confirmed that you are not Igbo.

Wharreva. undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Do Igbos Love Christmas So Much? by Afam4eva(m): 11:38am On Dec 20, 2010
kokoye:

my house big pass yours

my car better pass yours

runs away

That's why i sometimes hate going to the village. Even the so-called village boys can embarass someone with their dressing. I never knew villages could dress that well. Some of them are more hippy than those from lagos.
Re: Why Do Igbos Love Christmas So Much? by NewDelhi(m): 1:19pm On Oct 26, 2019
kokoye:

my house big pass yours

my car better pass yours

runs away
True. That's because they hardly stay in their state to do business. They go dey perch for another man's land like say tomorrow no dey. Gosh I was so irrated when I travelled to Kano state and the Igbo population I saw there was just alarming. I was like why these people no fit stay their land sef. They are everywhere in this world even if you go to Peru, Argentina or Madagascar

And when it's time for Christmas, they go home to measure things with their colleagues of course. They take their cars there and bring it to village parties just to show off. They spray and spend money to make people know they have arrived and na money dey talk. They use money to steal your girlfriend and all sorts. But the time January 10 comes and they plan travelling back to Malaysia or Lagos, their eye for don clear small.

(1) (Reply)

Black Kids Can Dance Too!!! / Meet Zoe-the Rare Golden Zebra.. / Nigerians Are The Most Respectful People In The World!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.