Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,695 members, 7,951,884 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 06:32 AM

General Dog Behavior And Consultancy - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / General Dog Behavior And Consultancy (1121 Views)

My Rott's Naughty Behavior: I Need Advice Please / My Caucasian Dog Scisser And His Funny Behavior / Dog Obedience Guide - Train Your Dog Effectively To STOP Behavior Problems (PDF) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

General Dog Behavior And Consultancy by Jteewhy(m): 1:57pm On Feb 24, 2020
Guide to Raising a Puppy When You Work Full Time
Raising a puppy while working is tough, but it can be done.
Puppies have different needs depending on their age. After those intense first few weeks, things ease off. A combination of planning, friends, and paid help will certainly be a great support for you.
Leaving a Puppy Home Alone
It’s a mistake for a puppy to be constantly in your company. This can make them over-dependent on people. This means they won’t learn the skill of being alone.
A lot of parent come home to ruined carpets, chewed up shoes or scratched doors are a frustrating reality for many pet parents.
One of the factors that is disturbing while we leave our puppy home alone is knowing how long the puppy can hold their bladder. And for this, there’s a simple equation.
* Take the puppy’s age in months and add one. This is the number of hours they can hold their bladder.
* For example, a two-month-old pup can hold for three hours max
* A four-month-old pup can hold for five hours
This equation levels out at around 6 – 7 months, with no dog being comfortable holding their pee above eight hours.
In practical terms, leaving a puppy home alone while at work, means you’ll need to give the pup comfort breaks at the appropriate times. Excluding comfort breaks means risking the puppy getting confused about potty training, therefore, leading to an untrained dog.
Thus leaving a puppy alone for 8 hours isn’t great for any four-legger regardless of age. While it’s technically possible for a young adult dog to hold on this long, a puppy needs frequent toilet breaks plus the stimulation of company.
Let’s say your bundle of fun is 8-weeks old. They need toilet breaks at least every three hours (for more options see the Toilet Training section.) Somehow they need walks outside for potty training and a game to amuse them.
This means planning ahead.
Your options include:
* Popping home in your breaks
* Having a friend or neighbor call in
* Employing a dog walker or puppy sitter to drop by
* Leaving pup with a friend
* Doggie daycare
Keeping Your Puppy Happy
People have strong opinions about whether raising a puppy while working full time is fair to the dog. Their main objection is that puppies need companionship and plenty of play. Of course, it fills you with sadness to think your pup might miss out, so what to do with a dog while at work?
Rule #1 is to leave the puppy pleasantly tired. This means plenty of play before heading out to work. Leave a puppy tired and they’ll snooze through their first comfort break. Problem one sorted!
Rule #2 is to give the puppy plenty to occupy him/her in between visits. As well as the friend playing with the puppy, have a variety of toys and games pre-prepared for them to pop in with your pup when they leave.

Tell us about your dog bad behavior and let’s help to finds a solution.
Contact:08155979477,08107208587(WhatsApp) for Dog training and rehabilitation.
IG @Palpaws_ng
FB @palpawsng
Picture attached is a 6weeks + Caucasian Shepherd. They are one of the toughest to breed base on their territorial behavior which is pretty a normal thing for them. Training has to start early.

1 Like

Re: General Dog Behavior And Consultancy by Jteewhy(m): 3:58pm On Dec 09, 2020
[size=8pt]Terrier Dog
Terriers are the rascals of the dog world. Their name comes from the Latin word terra, meaning earth, and references their love of digging for such prey as foxes, moles, badgers, and rats.

Terriers come in a wide range of sizes and shapes, but they all share a feisty, mischievous personality and an energetic nature. They’re highly intelligent and trainable — if you have patience and a great sense of humor.

It’s hard to stay a step ahead of a Terrier. True to their name, Terriers are territorial: they protect the patch of earth that’s theirs and will bark furiously at people or animals who approach their property. They’re also escape artists and require a securely fenced yard.

Many Terriers have hard, wiry coats that must be plucked or stripped of dead hair to retain the proper texture; using clippers will soften and lighten the coat

ln the first picture its the Jack Russell
second picture bull terrier
third is the Scottish Terrier

terrier are one of the most adorable breed you find.
third is

Re: General Dog Behavior And Consultancy by Jteewhy(m): 3:10pm On Jul 05, 2021
Hello, I am John, i am a Dog breeder, Dog behaviorist, Kennel consultant.
i reside in Ogbomoso, My kennel and dog training name is Palpaws Ng.
i have been a pet lover (dog lover) i was a kid as far as i can remember, i ventured into dog breeding
in 2014 and have been a dog behaviorist since 2015. Its said that no body knows it all and i would pay my
respect to my bosses who have been in this far before me. i will say prior to my years of experience that having a
pet or venture into breeding business has been fun for me.
i am here for consultancy and mentorship of anything pertaining to dog breeding,
dog behavior, kennel consultancy and Dog sale.

Are you a pet lover?
Are you planning to get a new pet or are you a dog owner?
Are you having dog behavior issues?
Do you want to import a Dog or cat?
Do you want to set up a kennel or go into Dog breeding as a business?
whatever you want to achieve from the above, follow this forum as i will be dropping
good articles and hints on dog breeding and dog behavior and how to be a pack leader and more.

Now lets talk about the basic: talking about pets generally there are few importance you would
want to put into consideration.

Don`t move on go get a dog just because a friend is told you or you just see people getting dogs
and you just feel you should do the same.
NOTE: Owning a pet comes with a lot of responsibilities.

Here are the few question you would have to answer 100% before getting a pet.

1. Why are you getting a pet?
2. Are you finically buoyant enough to own a pet (your pet is your full responsibility)?
3. Are you ready to adjust your schedule for your new pet?
4. do you live in a pet friendly environment?
5. what type of breed fits your personality?
if you have considered and answer this questions correctly, then we may proceed.

Dogs have various species and they are all breed for difference reasons
-Game dogs: Pitbull, Labrador Retriever, Beagle ...
-Guard dogs: Cane Cosor, German Shepherd, Rottweiler ...
-Companion Dogs: Papillon, chihuahua, Shih Tzu, French bully ...
-Hunting dogs: Weimaraner, Blood Hound, Jack Russell Terrier ...
Now you have to pick your choice of breed from the above prior to reasons why you
are getting a pet.

I am hopping to get lot of response and this forum is open for questions as the aim
of this forum is to create a interactive and educating forum and dog breeds and behavior.

Thank for taking out your time to read.
@PALPAWS_NG

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Dog Behavior And Consultancy by Cheddaz: 8:44pm On Feb 13, 2022
Hi are you still into consultancy for dog breeding as a business?
Re: General Dog Behavior And Consultancy by Jteewhy(m): 12:05pm On Mar 02, 2022
Yes, I am available for consultancy on dog breeding and behaviors.
Re: General Dog Behavior And Consultancy by Jteewhy(m): 11:14am On Mar 05, 2022
Dog's behavior and it is meaning[color=#550000][/color][left][/left]
As a kid, my first dog experience made me understand a Dog behavior and its meaning. I lived with my uncle, who central bought dogs for security purposes and was a pet lover, which was a great opportunity.
However, I was very passionate and devoted to anything that pertains to animal care and behavior, especially when it comes to Dogs. So many people have problems with their dogs today just because they do not understand their Dog behavior and its meaning, which applies to both dog breeders and pet lovers. I will list and explain the dog behavior and its meaning below so that we don't misinterpret our Dog's behavior anymore.

What are the Common Dog Behavior And Its Meaning?

1. Biting:
Some people believe biting applies to only puppies, No it does not. Many adult dogs are still biting their owner, and they all do this for different reasons.
It could be due to food aggression.
It could be a sign of fear in dogs (especially what a dog does not trust you yet).
It could be a play bite.
A dog will also bite to defend the territory and protect his family or household.
A dog will bite if he feels some discomfort in his body, causing the Dog to be hyper-sensitive to touch, noise, or even light.
Some dogs also bite when they do not get the required daily exercise for their mental and physical stability.
You have to figure out why your dog is biting. Then you can find a solution, such as getting a dog trainer, creating time for your Dog, socializing your Dog correctly from puppyhood, and taking your dog on a walk regularly.

2. Circling:
Dogs circling may be a result of Tail chasing. Some Dog circles a few times before taking a dump. It could be a health issue, especially when a dog can not stop circling at a spot for too long. It could be a health issue such as ear infections( idiopathic vestibular syndrome), poison and tumor, or any neurological problems.
Please seek your veterinary attention if you observe your Dog circling too long.

3. Panting:[/i]
Most times, a dog will pant when they feel body heat. They do that often to expel their body heat which also causes salivation in some large breeds like Boerboel, Caucasian shepherd, Rottweiler, Cane Corso, e.t.c.
However, make you observe properly why your Dog is panting as he could also be a result of pain and discomfort in the body system.

Always hydrate your Dog well before taking him in any physical activities. For everyone that lives in the area where the temperature is usually high during the day, we can splash water on the Dog or have a dog pool of water for the dogs, give the dog ice, but if the painting persists, contact your Vet immediately for proper checkup.

4. Digging and Scratching:[i]

There are so many reasons a dog could dig on the ground or scratch.
Dogs dig to track animals.
Dogs dig when they feel bored, and most time when your Dog wants to seek your attention too.
Dogs dig to escape, especially when they feel too confined.
Dogs dig to hide something important to them like Toys, food, or when they defecate.
Dogs scratch their skin or ear when they have a sensation of irritation, resulting from skin infection or ticks and flea.
From my own experiences, you can solve most digging or scratching problems by giving the Dog the required to exercise daily, so they don't have much time to scratch and instead spend their time sleeping and resting cause they are tired. If your dog dig or scratches for too long, consult your veterinary.

5. Dog Anxiety:[/i]
Anxiety in dogs has become very common, which can be due to several reasons. Most dogs are traumatized, while some could be hereditary from a poor breeding standard, separation anxiety. Below are some of the symptoms of AnxietyAnxiety in dogs;
Defecating at sight ( some Dogs will defecate when they see strangers or even owners).
Tucking of the tail.
Shaking like a dog that has a fever.
Biting
howling
Barking excessively
Anxiety is very tough with dogs and owners, especially dog owners who barely have time for their dogs, which is very wrong. I have a short article above that talks about a guide to raising a puppy when you work full time. Just a few hours of daily devotion, taking your dog on a walk, and slowly socializing the Dog with other dogs will help your Dog calm his AnxietyAnxiety. At least two hours daily is suitable for your Dog's AnxietyAnxiety.

6. Dog Eating Poop Behavior:[i]

Dog eating Feces is one of the expected behaviors we find in dogs, mostly in nursing dogs or their puppies, where the puppies watch their mother eat their feces by that they tend to copy what they see their mother. However, some dog will naturally eat their feces due to the scent they perceive, and they may be curiously and taste their feces, while some do it to have a change of taste.
Feed your dog a well-balanced diet and monitor your Dog correctly so you can correct him while going into this bad behavior.

7. Head Pressing:[/i]
When a dog presses his head on the wall or any hard surface, call your veterinarian's attention as it is primarily a result of irritation caused by toxic substances and is also common in dogs with brain diseases. When a poisonous substance enters into the Dog's body either by oral, nostrils, or any orifice in the Dog's body, it disturbs the function of the brain, causing abnormalities in the Dog's behavior.
Note: be very observant of your Dog's behavior, so any slight changes in behavior are fast to observe, so you do not let your Dog die under your watch.

8. Dog sitting on owners legs or between your feet:[i]

From my personal experience and observation, dogs I have worked with sit between my legs or on my leg when they feel insecure, which is a sign of anxiety in dogs. While sometimes, they do it as a sign of dominance, and it is a rare occurrence for a dog to be dominant over his owner. Most dogs I have come across will show such behavior to feel much safe, and it is also known as a safe position for dogs when you are in a crowded or strange situation.

9. Scooting:[/i]
Most of us have seen our Dog dragging his hock side across the floor. It could happen outdoor or indoors for specific reasons such as;
A dog will scoot when he feels irritation around his anus.
Some dogs scoot due to alleges based on what they eat or come in contact with.
Deworm is also one of the causes of dogs' scooting behavior.
Dogs fond of licking around the house or dogs who like to eat grass could have some grass in their anus, making them rub themselves on the floor so that they could get it out.

10. Urination:[i]

These are the commonly known reasons a dog can urinate in the house;
Anxiety
A dog that loves to claim or mark its territory
If you do not have a proper pooty schedule for your Dog, especially puppies, they will have to urinate in the house when they can't hold anymore.
If you don't want your Dog urinating around your house, you have to have a proper and effective potty schedule for your Dog, and you need to make sure you clean any spots the Dog urinate in the house with bleach, and you have a puppy do not live him out in the house unsupervised.

11. Yawning[/i]
Most of us mistake saying that when a dog yawns, he needs to sleep; oh, my Dog is hungry. No, sometimes when a dog yawns, it is also a sign that your Dog is stressed or he could be out of fear. When you take your Dog out, and he starts yawning in a new environment, or he starts yawning around strangers, don't be in haste to introduce the visitor. Try to make your Dog comfortable by playing with his favorite toy. If you do not have a toy, try to call him and make him move away from the stranger, then move back. Then you will notice he will slowly become calm after repeating the same steps two to three times.

12. Dog Chewing Behavior:[i]

This is a very common behavior in dogs, especially puppies or and some adult dogs. There are different reasons a dog would chew your valuables such as, but the most common one is as a puppy while teething. Your puppy will definitely chew on anything because that's the only fun thing they can do while you are busy so it is advisable to get a lot of toys and don't leave your puppy unsupervised. Also, you have to prepare your house for your puppy, remove anything your little puppy can damages and replace it with a toy.
Dogs also chew when they don't get the required exercise to mentain calm. This is why you have to read my little article on "Guide to Raising a Puppy When You Work Full Time" and " few question you would have to answer 100% before getting a pet".

I believe you now understand much about your Dog's behavior and its meaning, and if your Dog keeps experiencing any of these behaviors and you know it is unusual for him, call your veterinarian's attention as soon as possible. So, your Vet can rule out any medical-related issues your Dog might be having.

If you have any problems concerning your Dog behavior that you feel confused about, you can leave a comment below, and I will respond to each ASAP.
Don't leave your Dog stressed. Get up and take that little fluffy on a walk. You will be surprised how a simple walk could improve your Dog's health. Watch out for my following thread on the benefits of walking and socializing your Dog.

(1) (Reply)

Adorable Caucasian/labrador Shepherd Ready For New Homes / 11month imported male caucasian From Russia.son Of 2014 Russian Champion 4 Sale / 2 Year Old Brindle Male Boerboel For Sale Or Exchanged For 2 Puppies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.