Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,800 members, 7,915,268 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 07:50 PM

Black History Month: Why Don't They Teach About The Arab-muslim Slave Trade? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Black History Month: Why Don't They Teach About The Arab-muslim Slave Trade? (427 Views)

Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? / Ooni Of Ife Signs $800m Mou With Arab Billionaire Ahmad Bin(photos) / How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Black History Month: Why Don't They Teach About The Arab-muslim Slave Trade? by IamBlanco(m): 8:16pm On Feb 24, 2020
Black History Month: Why Don't They Teach About the Arab-Muslim Slave Trade in Africa?

As for America's annual Black History Month, actor Morgan Freeman spoke for many during this 2005 exchange with CBS's Mike Wallace on "60 Minutes":

Wallace: "Black History Month, you find ..."

Freeman: "Ridiculous."

Wallace: "Why?"

Freeman: "You're going to relegate my history to a month?"

Wallace: "Come on."

Freeman: "What do you do with yours? Which month is White History Month? Come on; tell me."

Wallace: "I'm Jewish."

Freeman: "OK. Which month is Jewish History Month?"

Wallace: "There isn't one."

Freeman: "Why not? Do you want one?"

Wallace: "No, no."

Freeman: "I don't either. I don't want a Black History Month. Black history is American history."

Wallace: "How are we going to get rid of racism until ... ?"

Freeman: "Stop talking about it. I'm going to stop calling you a white man. And I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man. I know you as Mike Wallace. You know me as Morgan Freeman. You're not going to say, 'I know this white guy named Mike Wallace.' Hear what I'm saying?"

Despite years of Black History Februarys, many know little to nothing about the vast role played by Arab and Muslim slavers in the African slave trade. The practice began centuries before Europeans slavers bought and transported slaves out of Africa and continued well after European slavery ended.

Temple University professor Marc Lamont Hill, for example, teaches media studies and urban education. He once tweeted, "I support reparations 100%." When the NFL offered its players a 2017 trip to Israel to give them a better understanding of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, Hill encouraged the players not to go. About an open letter signed by several prominent blacks in the entertainment industry and others known for their involvement in social justice, Hill wrote, "The letter drew on the undeniable connections between the struggles faced by black and brown communities in the U.S., and Palestinian, Afro Palestinian, Eritrean and Sudanese communities in Israel and Palestine." Did the "struggles" to which Hill referred have anything to do with Arab and Muslim slavers?

Please kindly read and educate yourself more at:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/02/20/black_history_month_why_dont_they_teach_about_the_arab-muslim_slave_trade_in_africa_142442.html

Other links are:

https://newafricanmagazine.com/16616/

https://m.dw.com/en/east-africas-forgotten-slave-trade/a-50126759

Mods please move this to FP. This February is the so-called Black month. People need to know this part of history that has maliciously and intentional omitted from discussions and history curriculum taught in schools, novels, history books and textbooks.
Re: Black History Month: Why Don't They Teach About The Arab-muslim Slave Trade? by MrBrownJay1(m): 11:07pm On Feb 24, 2020
the same reason they dont teach about the jewish community involvement in the slave trade...

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

“umu Aba” Is Not Just About The Geographical Location...it’s An Attitude! / A Message To African Parents! / Video: I Get Scared And Catches Cold Whenever I Hear Name 'sunday Igboho', Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.