Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,929 members, 7,890,064 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 08:43 AM

When Ogundipe Was Meant To Be President, Only Ojukwu Supported Him - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / When Ogundipe Was Meant To Be President, Only Ojukwu Supported Him (8490 Views)

Rape Threat: Bello El-Rufai To Sue Samuel Ogundipe / PDP Blasts Buhari’s Appointments, President Only Interested In Personal Comfort / Jonathan Was Incompetent But I Supported Him – Balarabe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Ogundipe Was Meant To Be President, Only Ojukwu Supported Him by Uchek(m): 1:53am On Aug 06, 2021
That's book confirmed Ogundipe and Adebayo as cowards whose actions or inaction allowed the North to hijack power and dominate Nigeria today

Erudite77:

This is not about being a coward!

Ogundipe realised that no junior officers were in his support! When he gave an order to make a safe landing for Ironsi, the officers sent were ambushed. When he tried to send other officers, they declined! So he sensed mutiny.

Let me remind you.You can't declare yourself without internal support. Obasanjo was able to declare himself because TY Danjuma and Sheu Musa Yaradua were in his support. They emboldened him.

Did you know that Murtala and other junior officers were looking for him before they could ask Yakubu Gowon to take over? They wanted him to hand over peacefully. They never wanted him to assume the position.

So when Ogundipe realised that he was not safe again, he left the country in the midnight. Until then Gowon was able to become Head of State.

I can recommend this link. You'll see the man that saved Ogundipe's life.

Read this interesting account of how Ogundipe was saved!

https://www.thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2019/12/27/ironsis-death-my-role-in-brigadier-ogundipes-escape/
Re: When Ogundipe Was Meant To Be President, Only Ojukwu Supported Him by paramakina202: 10:33am On Aug 06, 2021
Uchek:
How would he bring war to his people? Can the North fight both the East and West at the same time? Ok he didn't want to bring war to his people but he was willing to bring war to Eastern Region and partake in the massacre of millions of lives. A case of what is good for the goose is not good for the gander.

You are absolutely right that he was not part of the coup and that the most senior officer in the military must not necessarily take over power. So why become a spokesperson of the an administration that humiliated you and hounded you out of office? Why didn't he reject Gowon's position of Nigerian High Commissioner to UK by telling Gowon that he was not going to be a part of government that hijacked power and subjugated and oppressed Yoruba military? That singular act would have made him a man of integrity and moral courage.

I respect the man for not heeding Ojukwu's advise to fight a lost battle.You suppose to know when you have lost out in a power game and go back to the drawing board like the Northern military boys did in January 1966 after the coup and came back to take thier revenge six months later,if they had opposed emergency of Gen Ironsi in january they would have lost out.
I don't know much about the diplomatic role he played during the war,that is a different thing all together.
You are talking about integrity and moral courage?Abeg forget matter.He simply allowed peace to reign and moved on with his life.
Some times peace is far better than being right.that was what the man did.On the other side our man claimed right and we lost everything.

2 Likes

Re: When Ogundipe Was Meant To Be President, Only Ojukwu Supported Him by Uchek(m): 2:28am On Aug 09, 2021
Please can l ask you your ethnic nationality and age?

paramakina202:

I respect the man for not heeding Ojukwu's advise to fight a lost battle.You suppose to know when you have lost out in a power game and go back to the drawing board like the Northern military boys did in January 1966 after the coup and came back to take thier revenge six months later,if they had opposed emergency of Gen Ironsi in january they would have lost out.
I don't know much about the diplomatic role he played during the war,that is a different thing all together.
You are talking about integrity and moral courage?Abeg forget matter.He simply allowed peace to reign and moved on with his life.
Some times peace is far better than being right.that was what the man did.On the other side our man claimed right and we lost everything.
Re: When Ogundipe Was Meant To Be President, Only Ojukwu Supported Him by paramakina202: 3:43am On Aug 09, 2021
Uchek:
Please can l ask you your ethnic nationality and age?

Not important.
Re: When Ogundipe Was Meant To Be President, Only Ojukwu Supported Him by tandy2013: 5:53am On Aug 09, 2021
sapientia:
leave the past people.

Lets be more concerned with the present.

The past shapes the future. It is a reminder that igbos had supported the yorubas and had beleived in Southern alliance
Re: When Ogundipe Was Meant To Be President, Only Ojukwu Supported Him by Uchek(m): 3:02pm On Aug 12, 2021
It is very important because knowing your age and ethnic nationality helps me determining whether to respond or not and if l decide to respond, the thrust of my response. I believe you are in Facebook. Can you give me your FB identify. I want to read the things you post on FB.

paramakina202:

Not important.
Re: When Ogundipe Was Meant To Be President, Only Ojukwu Supported Him by paramakina202: 7:06pm On Aug 12, 2021
Uchek:
It is very important because knowing your age and ethnic nationality helps me determining whether to respond or not and if l decide to respond, the thrust of my response. I believe you are in Facebook. Can you give me your FB identify. I want to read the things you post on FB.

Respond to my post of forget.Truth knows no ethnicity.Btw,I am Igbo.
My facebook what?Why not ask for my BVN number? grin
Give me yours first make I go check maybe your still in school.
Re: When Ogundipe Was Meant To Be President, Only Ojukwu Supported Him by Phoen1X: 12:12pm On Jan 17, 2023
YeeboMuslim:

I'm from the pace setter state ; the state of firsts and cradle of civilization in Nigeria.

Omo Ibadan tokan tokan !!!!
OZU,..tomorrow you go come dey claim niger delta,onye eriri eri.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Court Dismisses Suit Challenging Buhari’s Appointment Of 21 Judges / LASG Flags Off Redevelopment Of Igbosere Courthouse Razed By Hoodlums / Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.