Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,887 members, 7,883,111 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 12:24 AM

A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health (10141 Views)

Lagosian Who Tested Positive Was Sent Away Without Attention! / Ban On Codeine: Lagos Unveils Comprehensive Strategy To Address Mental Health / I Have Ocd And Some Other Mental Disorder... I Hate Myself... Please Help... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by mantosa(m): 6:57am On Mar 12, 2020
So right now you are probably thinking “I’m a Lagosian and I don’t think I’m insane”. However, don’t you ever feel like having to wake up in Lagos already feels like you are waking up on the wrong side of the bed? From the moment you leave your home, face the traffic, face work demands and stress from bosses and colleagues, while desperately waiting to leave and get back home only to get stuck in another endless traffic, there are definitely moments during the day where you begin to question the sanity of those around you as they might likely be questioning yours as well. But hey! It’s 2020 and in this New Year we are striving towards more money in our pockets, food in our bellies and love in our hearts whilst saying goodbye to sadness, stress and overall mental anxiety.

Consequently, in this article, I would share with you a few tips to try out this year that will assuredly help you achieve great mental health even in the midst of all the craziness going on in this beautiful city.

CHANGE YOUR JOB

As brutal as this sounds, if your job is causing you frequent meltdowns, it might be time to look for something a bit more suitable. If you are in a position where you constantly feel like ‘killing’ your boss or the people you work with, then it would be wise to really reconsider your job options. Statistics show that over 70% of employees are very unsatisfied with their jobs. If it is causing you depression and unbearable stress, it is time to look for something else.

Also, working in a place that is 3-4 hours drive away from home is simply irrational. You find out you have to leave home at an unreasonably early hour and get back in really late without having time for yourself, family or other more productive activities. Therefore this year, work towards getting a job within close proximity to your home or better still move your home closer to your job. Whichever way, there would be a whole world of difference physically, emotionally, mentally and even financially when you stop spending half the day stuck in traffic.

DRIVE LESS

Except your primary earnings comes from driving, make resolutions to drive less this year. There are way too many cars on the streets of Lagos and this is the major cause of endless traffic, accidents and car breakdowns. So at least once or twice a week, it would be wise to consider hitching a ride with someone going your way, journey with public transportation or order an uber with a friend or two and split the fare. Not only does it take away the stress of you driving, it also reduces the risk of your car breaking down or getting smashed in all the traffic madness.

CHANGE YOUR EATING HABITS

In all the rush to beat traffic and get to work on time, most Lagosians end up skipping breakfast or just eating lifesavers (Gala and Lacasera) on the way. Dieticians and nutritionists have proven breakfast to be the most important meal of the day. Having a healthy but light breakfast can increase mental productivity by a large percentage. Therefore, make it a call of duty to have a light but healthy breakfast every morning before setting out for the day’s work.

GET A SIDE HUSTLE

One major cause of worry and panic is money. Living in a city that has a high standard of living requires having a high income to balance the equation. Most times, our monthly earnings can barely meet our expenses before the account runs dry again. This year, invest in a side hustle – a business or venture that should not need much of your presence to flourish. This would be a way of ensuring more passive income that would efficiently take care of your living expenses.

HAVE A SUPPORT SYSTEM

As humans, no matter how good or bad we are at the things we do, we need little encouragement here and there to boost our self esteem and self worth. It would do wonders for your mental health if you have a group of friends and family constantly encouraging and cheering you on. Embrace your support system. Accept constructive criticisms from them and appreciate commendations. Also remember to be a support system to your friends and loved ones around you. A simple nice statement can go a long way in a person’s life journey.

RELAX

The importance of relaxing cannot be overemphasized. There are a thousand people waiting to take over your job if you have a mental breakdown. The body and mind needs relaxation to meet their maximum potential. Therefore, make out specific times to relax. Whether it’s having a weekend getaway with your significant other, watching a movie at the cinema, spending the day at the beach or just being home the whole weekend, sleeping and watching Netflix, find time to do whatever activity helps your body, soul, mind and spirit sync with one another.

source: https://tushmagazine.com.ng/a-lagosians-guide-to-achieving-great-mental-health/

17 Likes

Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by chatinent: 7:26am On Mar 12, 2020
To be be forewarned is to be.. ARMORED!

1 Like

Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by topshotnista(m): 1:08pm On Mar 12, 2020
Guide on mental health?Are you insinuating Lagosians are mad? Issoryt

4 Likes

Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by fatai7165: 1:08pm On Mar 12, 2020
Ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by stevenosa(m): 1:08pm On Mar 12, 2020
Okay
Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by NgwalandAbia(m): 1:08pm On Mar 12, 2020
Achieving mental health in a place more than half of their residents are already suffering mental kolos

2 Likes

Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by kokakola: 1:08pm On Mar 12, 2020
What works for A may not work for B.
It's good to be careful, but still we can't be careful enough.
What most people really need is careful organization of their daily life/routine. You don't live life anyhow and expect a different outcome. Don't be like the rest, be different.

3 Likes

Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by Nobody: 1:09pm On Mar 12, 2020
You didn't add the most important one:

Pack all your things and move to the Southeast, where the traffic will not kill you faster than Coronavirus.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by lamideee(f): 1:09pm On Mar 12, 2020
Ok
Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by Nobody: 1:09pm On Mar 12, 2020
Certain factors and environment leave u without a choice.

2 Likes

Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by iCauseTrouble: 1:09pm On Mar 12, 2020
Lagos? Tueeeeeh!!!
You better leave Lagos and come and enjoy better life in Abuja

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by Emmanuelhector(m): 1:10pm On Mar 12, 2020
Guide for the rich and middle class.. We Marlians and ghetto breeds don’t play by guides and rules
Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by sylve11: 1:10pm On Mar 12, 2020
Mamadmama01:
How una dey cope for that your Lagos I no sabi

A hunter that refuses to hunt very far away from home will end up killing domestic animals.

Life get plenty challenges, stress na part of it. cool

1 Like

Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by vizkiz: 1:10pm On Mar 12, 2020
Drive less

Relax

Get a side hustle

Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by Jubilancy(f): 1:11pm On Mar 12, 2020
I really needed this article thank you....
I find myself becoming more stressed by the day .....I keep telling myself it would pass but It didnt..... guess I will try eating breakfast more often and doing some exercises which honestly I think I do often ....after all freaking is a type of exercise lol

2 Likes

Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by mazichido(m): 1:11pm On Mar 12, 2020
Draw closer to your Maker in prayer.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by IlovePMB: 1:11pm On Mar 12, 2020
It is easy for mouth to tell someone to find another job. Where is the Job.? We are in a useless country run by useless president and useless party.

3 Likes

Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by anonimi: 1:11pm On Mar 12, 2020
mantosa:
RELAX

The importance of relaxing cannot be overemphasized. There are a thousand people waiting to take over your job if you have a mental breakdown. The body and mind needs relaxation to meet their maximum potential. Therefore, make out specific times to relax. Whether it’s having a weekend getaway with your significant other, watching a movie at the cinema, spending the day at the beach or just being home the whole weekend, sleeping and watching Netflix, find time to do whatever activity helps your body, soul, mind and spirit sync with one another.

source: https://tushmagazine.com.ng/a-lagosians-guide-to-achieving-great-mental-health/

You can't be a Lagosian for not including Owambe as the sole and only relaxation known to make our life even more stressful as we inch towards premature, sudden death. undecided sad

Youngzedd:
Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State, weekend, said more than N36 billion was spent annually by Lagos residents in organizing different social events.
This came as the governor said the solution to the unemployment crisis in the country did not require any foreign idea, saying “the answer is a Made in Nigeria strategy.”

The governor spoke at the fourth edition of the Lagos Ignite Enterprise and Employability project, a joint youth empowerment programme between the government and the Afterschool Graduate Development Centre, AGDC.
The event attracted hundreds of youths, ex-Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian Communications Commission NCC, Dr. Ernest Ndukwe, Ali Baba among other dignitaries.
Fashola explained that the figure was collated after a careful study of social events especially party life in Lagos.
According to him, “this was the study of night life carried out by the government in five local governments including Agege, Mushin, Ifako-Ijaiye and Ikeja and another local government. It showed that more than N36 billion was spent on 1555 parties held within the period.

“We did a study between October and November last year, we took just five local governments in Lagos; Agege, Mushin, Ifako-Ijaiye, Ikeja and another one.
“We studied from Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, three days every week for four weeks which was 12 nights.
“In 12 nights, 1555 parties were held in these local governments. In terms of drinks, food and all other engagements during such parties, about N1.2 billion was spent and when we dis-aggregated them we saw how much went to DJ, MC, food and drinks, the total picture in the state now and I don’t want to give you a wrong number but it’s something in the region of about N3 billion monthly on that side of our life and people are playing and impacting on that side of our economy.
The governor noted that clothing materials worn during such parties popularly called “Aso-ebi” gulped at least N1.2 billion monthly, saying the market is huge with much yet to be tapped from it.”

Source : http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/09/lagosians-spend-n36bn-on-owambe-annually-fashola/

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1321121_00000Owambe_jpg591ae700617b73ceb5d381118c64af2f

1 Like

Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by HIGHSTAKE647: 1:11pm On Mar 12, 2020
We give loans to Business Around Ajah , lekki , VI and environs we can give upto (50m) kindly check my signature
Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by Chijeep(m): 1:12pm On Mar 12, 2020
Op I fink it'll b more ok if we can get a money making guide dan dx 1 wey evn long 2 read...

na who dx 1 help?
Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by DexterousOne(m): 1:13pm On Mar 12, 2020
anonimi:

You can't be a Lagosian for not including Owambe as the sole and only relaxation known to make our life even more stressful as we inch towards premature, sudden death. undecided sad

Exactly

The traffic is something else

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by Nobody: 1:13pm On Mar 12, 2020
Its rocket science for Lagosians to have mental health. grin
Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by Oluwasaeon(m): 1:14pm On Mar 12, 2020
Relocate
Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by eesdee: 1:16pm On Mar 12, 2020
So on point, Lagosians prefer staying in a cheap apartments in Ikorodu and working in Lekki...smh
Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by mrZENographer: 1:17pm On Mar 12, 2020
Okay but..

Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by iretemide(f): 1:18pm On Mar 12, 2020
Lagos where almost everyone acts crazily.
Every one is angry at everything going on around everybody that knows nothing about their predicaments.
Thank God for Lagos that year, it thought me resilience, creativity and enthusiasm.
I see opportunity in every situation.
It really broadens my reasoning.
But the stress no be here !

1 Like

Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by mastermaestro(m): 1:33pm On Mar 12, 2020
Emmanuelhector:
Guide for the rich and middle class.. We Marlians and ghetto breeds don’t play by guides and rules

1 Like

Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by Emmanuelhector(m): 1:39pm On Mar 12, 2020
[quote author=mastermaestro post=87379804][/quote] grin
Re: A Lagosian’s Guide To Achieving Great Mental Health by cooltola(m): 1:56pm On Mar 12, 2020
Always put God first

Never put all your eggs in one basket and always try something new that can pay you in the long run. The job market is always changing but there are constant no matter how bad the economy which are transport business , housing and the need for foods and information.

Get adequate sleep, if you work on Monday, try to go to bed early on Sunday

Never put your business into the hands of friends or family. There is no family in business because they do not care about your sacrifices or what it takes to run a business, instead employ a qualified person who will increase the net worth of your business.

Always think ahead of the curve by looking for way to eliminate waste-e.g. if your top customers happens to around 4-8am, you want to be there at 330am and live close to the area of your business whether there is traffic or not . It does not make sense that you live 1.5 hour away from business location because of traffic. You will lose money, time , and sanity

Always take care of your equipment that fetches you money e.g if you drive for uber, service your car regularly will save your money, and keep your car running for a long time.

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tasly Phytoestrogen-hormonal Balance For Women / Most rapists & robbers now use ROHYPNOL. Beware / Enwerem Uju: Sickle Cell Mom Tells Her Story, Reveals How She Defiled All Odds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.