Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,890 members, 7,976,335 topics. Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2024 at 05:33 AM

I Regret Becoming An Entrepreneur: 9-5 Life Forever! Feud.. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Regret Becoming An Entrepreneur: 9-5 Life Forever! Feud.. (1592 Views)

My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur / Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? / Nairalanders advice helped a physically challenged Entrepreneur. Now I’m married (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Regret Becoming An Entrepreneur: 9-5 Life Forever! Feud.. by IsuaWP: 9:25am On Mar 18, 2020
I decided to start with dropshipping and I slowly moved to selling digital products, however, I didn't make any money. To those of you that are looking to start, make sure you know that it will be very tiring and very expensive. Unfortunately, I'm not the kind of person to be an entrepreneur. I decided to give up after losing more than $1000 over the course of a couple months. That's a lot of money for someone like me.

It's tiring. I hate that I'll have to live the 9-5 life forever but sometimes people just aren't good enough and I'm a prime example.

Just because someone can do it, doesn't mean that everyone can do it. This is negative but it's also true. Let's remember to be realistic every once and a while.

Over to you

What's your story in a quest to build a career online?
Re: I Regret Becoming An Entrepreneur: 9-5 Life Forever! Feud.. by FindX(m): 9:29am On Mar 18, 2020
You failed with $1000..

You might die a poor man.

2 Likes

Re: I Regret Becoming An Entrepreneur: 9-5 Life Forever! Feud.. by Brooke60(f): 9:35am On Mar 18, 2020
IsuaWP:

I decided to start with dropshipping and I slowly moved to selling digital products, however, I didn't make any money. To those of you that are looking to start, make sure you know that it will be very tiring and very expensive. Unfortunately, I'm not the kind of person to be an entrepreneur. I decided to give up after losing more than $1000 over the course of a couple months. That's a lot of money for someone like me.

It's tiring. I hate that I'll have to live the 9-5 life forever but sometimes people just aren't good enough and I'm a prime example.

Just because someone can do it, doesn't mean that everyone can do it. This is negative but it's also true. Let's remember to be realistic every once and a while.

Over to you

To be honest, no be all of us go be entrepreneur and I am glad you realized this on time.

However, if you have the money, you can hire someone to do this for you. Some people are born to do this.

I tried it too and I can tell you that its not an easy path at all.
FindX:
You failed with $1000..

You might die a poor man.
Very insensitive of you.

1 Like

Re: I Regret Becoming An Entrepreneur: 9-5 Life Forever! Feud.. by Lalissa(f): 8:50pm On Mar 18, 2020
THANK YOU!

1 Like

Re: I Regret Becoming An Entrepreneur: 9-5 Life Forever! Feud.. by fykes(m): 7:00am On Mar 19, 2020
While I see a lot of truths.... I also see shallowness in ur convinction as an entrepreneur.
Entrepreneurship is about chasing a vision not a business.
Vision has to be bigger than you, bigger than money and failure.

Most people that call themselves entrepreneurs are money driven, fun driven and ego driven.

Vision makes the difference. And failure won't matter, losses won't... Bcoz vision has more fire than desire.

2 Likes

Re: I Regret Becoming An Entrepreneur: 9-5 Life Forever! Feud.. by Doyin400l(m): 8:50am On Mar 19, 2020
Your opinion!!

Failure lies in sucess and vice versa. Nothing is so sure in life, even the 9to5 jobs can be affefted by retrenchment and recession. This is because it's not your company and can be kicked out anytime.

I will suggest you do both. Have a side hustle and paid job, with this you'll have inflow of cash.

1 Like

Re: I Regret Becoming An Entrepreneur: 9-5 Life Forever! Feud.. by IsuaWP: 9:32am On Mar 19, 2020
Thank you guys. Your input is quite good. However, it's not me though.
Re: I Regret Becoming An Entrepreneur: 9-5 Life Forever! Feud.. by Nobody: 6:46pm On Mar 19, 2020
When you understand the true meaning of entrepreneurship, you'll know that dropshipping is just a stepping stone.

1 Like

Re: I Regret Becoming An Entrepreneur: 9-5 Life Forever! Feud.. by uthlaw: 7:13am On Mar 20, 2020
If you follow this guys on NL u go enter voicemail....you see them ranting online Husstle,when you tell them to put you through,all you ear is choose what you have passion for.....most na fake life joo!

6 Likes

Re: I Regret Becoming An Entrepreneur: 9-5 Life Forever! Feud.. by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:06am On Mar 20, 2020
uthlaw:
If you follow this guys on NL u go enter voicemail....you see them ranting online Husstle,when you tell them to put you through,all you ear is choose what you have passion for.....most na fake life joo!
Its mostly just to sell courses or scam people. I run a business and it's not a joke at all.

5 Likes

Re: I Regret Becoming An Entrepreneur: 9-5 Life Forever! Feud.. by Gerrard59(m): 9:37am On Mar 20, 2020
Entrepreneurship isn't for the fainthearted anywhere let alone in Nigeria where the costs of doing business are astronomically high. I run my family's business which has been very profitable but have I told you that I spend a lot on diesel/fuel daily to ensure there's electricity? Due to the collapse of crude oil prices, the state government has instituted lots of tax policies. As a result, I pay huge and unnecessary taxes and levies. The value for these taxes, I don't see. Bros, it's not easy especially when one has to change employees like clothes because they are dishonest and largely incompetent. It's as if I'm raising children.

The worst set of "entrepreneurs" are those who claim "a salary keeps your dreams away", "don't work for anyone" (if everyone has this mentality, who would work for anyone?), "salaried jobs are slavery" (tell that to oil workers who earn annual salaries exceeding 20 million naira or the current CEO of Total exploration who has been there since he finished his NYSC during the late '80s), "start your business so that you are unanswerable to anyone" (bloody lie. As an entrepreneur, you're answerable to your customers, regulators, employees, investors etc) etc. You should not only run away but flee from those cretinous fvcktards as the vast majority aren't adding value, are largely unintelligent and moronic in their reasoning.

If you see a 9-5 job where you can grow yourself and develop your skills, go for it. The issue here is that: people believe being entrepreneur makes you have so much money quicker than being an employee. But it's not really so as businesses just as a successful career take time to develop. The employees you see today earning huge salaries didn't earn such when they started their jobs neither do businesses start generating humongous profits in the first few years of operations. Moreover, because the business is expected to expand to meet up with demand, actual entrepreneurs not the cretinous fvcktards I described in the second paragraph don't earn huge salaries as they plough back whatever they have made into the business for its growth. This is similar to people advancing their careers by taking up professional courses and certifications to develop themselves as they progress. So you see? Success whether in business or career is a long-term game not the "I made money in this business and bought a car to flex" whereas the business is bleeding due to lack of investment.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Regret Becoming An Entrepreneur: 9-5 Life Forever! Feud.. by schoolboi: 10:56am On Mar 20, 2020
Gerrard59:
Entrepreneurship isn't for the fainthearted anywhere let alone in Nigeria where the costs of doing business is astronomically high. I run my family's business which has been very profitable but have I told you that I spend a lot on diesel/fuel daily to ensure there's electricity? Due to the collapse of crude oil prices, the state government has instituted lots of tax policies. As a result, I pay huge and unnecessary taxes and levies. The value for these taxes, I don't see. Bros, it's not easy especially when one has to change employees like clothes because they are dishonest and largely incompetent. It's as if I'm raising children.

The worst set of "entrepreneurs" are those who claim "a salary keeps your dreams away", "don't work for anyone" (if everyone has this mentality, who would work for anyone?), "salaried jobs are slavery" (tell that to oil workers who earn annual salaries exceeding 20 million naira or the current CEO of Total exploration who has been there since he finished his NYSC during the late '80s), "start your business so that you are unanswerable to anyone" (bloody lie. As an entrepreneur, you're answerable to your customers, regulators, employees, investors etc) etc. You should not only run away but flee from those cretinous fvcktards as the vast majority aren't adding value, are largely unintelligent and moronic in their reasoning.

If you see a 9-5 job where you can grow yourself and develop your skills, go for it. The issue here is that: people believe being entrepreneur makes you have so much money quicker than being an employee. But it's not really so as businesses just as a successful career take time to develop. The employees you see today earning huge salaries didn't earn such when they started their jobs neither do businesses start generating humongous profits in the first few years of operations. Moreover, because the business is expected to expand to meet up with demand, actual entrepreneurs not the cretinous fvcktards I described in the second paragraph don't earn huge salaries as they plough back whatever they have made into the business for its growth. This is similar to people advancing their careers by taking up professional courses and certifications to develop themselves as they progress. So you see? Success whether in business or career is a long-term game not the "I made money in this business and bought a car to flex whereas the business is bleeding due to lack of investment".

God bless you bro. I fell for that scam "entrepreneur is the way" right after I finish NYSC three years ago. While some of my mates are already working in top engineering firms, banks, big 4, top Nigeria parastatals, some have gone abroad for masters and settled there after their masters, am sticker with this business since 2017, haven't broken even, profits are being eaten by taxes and basic expenses. If I had given my focus on employment path, I believe in three years I should have gotten a job with returns better than my present position.

Please for everyone reading this post, please if you don't have the mindset to go into business, please do not go into it.
Re: I Regret Becoming An Entrepreneur: 9-5 Life Forever! Feud.. by IsuaWP: 11:03am On Mar 20, 2020
You are seriously right brother. Starting with 9-5 is where too start.
Re: I Regret Becoming An Entrepreneur: 9-5 Life Forever! Feud.. by Gerrard59(m): 12:48pm On Mar 20, 2020
schoolboi:

God bless you bro. I fell for that scam "entrepreneur is the way" right after I finish NYSC three years ago. While some of my mates are already working in top engineering firms, banks, big 4, top Nigeria parastatals, some have gone abroad for masters and settled there after their masters, am sticker with this business since 2017, haven't broken even, profits are being eaten by taxes and basic expenses. If I had given my focus on employment path, I believe in three years I should have gotten a job with returns better than my present position.

Please for everyone reading this post, please if you don't have the mindset to go into business, please do not go into it.

I feel same for you. However, if there is hope in sight for the business, you could stay put and re-strategise. To break even let alone turn a profit in a business anywhere takes time. I am lucky because when my parents started the business, I was still in secondary school, so I grew up to witness profits during my university days (reduced steeply when Buhari became president) and rose after graduation. So it has been favourable compared to a contemporary who started business immediately after tertiary education. Moreover, I have always believed that prospective entrepreneurs should work in a corporate environment or another entreprise before diving into entrepreneurship as this would develop their mental capacity, build experience and network, know key markets/customers etc. The reasoning someone who has worked in KPMG for three years and started a restaurant business will be different from the person who just started immediately after NYSC. The former has higher chances of being qualified for loans, entrepreneurial grants and actually knows how a business is run. Since 2017 till now is three years or almost so (depends on when you started), so it is not really a long time. If you really believe you cannot withstand it, you can always leave for your masters and if need be, return (after acquiring a second citizenship if possible) and continue from where you stopped. Trust me, the way you do things would be different from how you would do same when you return.

3 Likes

Re: I Regret Becoming An Entrepreneur: 9-5 Life Forever! Feud.. by Nobody: 2:43pm On Mar 20, 2020
I love the comments here, walahi.

I run a business and keep a job at the same time. As someone pointed out, Entrepreneurship has to be a lifestyle for you to endure it. It pays yes. It also drains you in every way you can think of. But for some of us its a thrill, a "high" we just need in our lives to fulfilling an innate passion.

A 9-5 job is the best way I know to raise capital, and not be financial dependent on my business. A lot of my business customers are actually colleagues at work. So, at the end of the day, it comes down to what business/ Entrepreneurship means for you.

For me, it's a lifestyle that I'd still maintain even if I have a job at TOTAL EXPLORATION.

Biko, if you do have a vacancy to fill let me know. I need to advance my career and earn capital for my business.
Re: I Regret Becoming An Entrepreneur: 9-5 Life Forever! Feud.. by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:57pm On Mar 20, 2020
schoolboi:

It's not too late to save yourself. You just graduated in 2017
Re: I Regret Becoming An Entrepreneur: 9-5 Life Forever! Feud.. by schoolboi: 6:15pm On Mar 20, 2020
Gerrard59:

I feel same for you. However, if there is hope in sight for the business, you could stay put and re-strategise. To break even let alone turn a profit in a business anywhere takes time. I am lucky because when my parents started the business, I was still in secondary school, so I grew up to witness profits during my university days (reduced steeply when Buhari became president) and rose after graduation. So it has been favourable compared to a contemporary who started business immediately after tertiary education. Moreover, I have always believed that prospective entrepreneurs should work in a corporate environment or another entreprise before diving into entrepreneurship as this would develop their mental capacity, build experience and network, know key markets/customers etc. The reasoning someone who has worked in KPMG for three years and started a restaurant business will be different from the person who just started immediately after NYSC. The former has higher chances of being qualified for loans, entrepreneurial grants and actually knows how a business is run. Since 2017 till now is three years or almost so (depends on when you started), so it is not really a long time. If you really believe you cannot withstand it, you can always leave for your masters and if need be, return (after acquiring a second citizenship if possible) and continue from where you stopped. Trust me, the way you do things would be different from how you would do same when you return.

Thanks alot for the advice. Will key into what you said.
Re: I Regret Becoming An Entrepreneur: 9-5 Life Forever! Feud.. by Jamesrock(m): 6:57am On Mar 21, 2020
IsuaWP:

Over to you

Well, it’s either you ventured into the business cos you have colleagues or friends doing it without knowing much about it... it’s always essential to sell what you know, be it products or services
Re: I Regret Becoming An Entrepreneur: 9-5 Life Forever! Feud.. by Nostradamus: 7:23am On Mar 21, 2020
grin
Re: I Regret Becoming An Entrepreneur: 9-5 Life Forever! Feud.. by IsuaWP: 10:37am On Mar 21, 2020
lol, what's that pls

(1) (Reply)

Cfa Candidates on Nairaland(december 2008 exam) / Please Advise,am I Been Enslaved Or Am An Ingrate? / Advice Needed Urgently! How Useful Is A Masters Degree?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.