Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,109 members, 7,939,480 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 06:41 AM

Mandela:the Only Non-royal Person Allowed To Call The Queen By Her First Name - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Mandela:the Only Non-royal Person Allowed To Call The Queen By Her First Name (679 Views)

The Only Person Allowed To Call Queen Elizabeth By Her Name Is From Africa, See / Interviewers Are Not Allowed To Look At Jacob Zuma's New 24-yr-old Wife (photo) / South Africa's Winnie Mandela Dies At 81 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mandela:the Only Non-royal Person Allowed To Call The Queen By Her First Name by Viktom(m): 7:56pm On Mar 21, 2020
MANDELA:The Only Non-Royal Person Allowed To Call The Queen By Her First Name

So, as we all know, there are many rules when it comes to being a member of the royal family.

However, there would also be loads of rules for us 'common folk' if we ever came face to face with royalty.

The rules are strictest for people meeting The Queen, which makes sense in fairness. You have to curtsy, refer to her appropriately (Your Majesty will suffice), and avoid being overly familiar.

Everyone that isn't an immediate member of the royal family has to refer to the monarch by her official title. That includes politicians, heads of state, and even royalty from other countries.

There was, historically, one exception to this rule

Nelson Mandela famously called the monarch 'Elizabeth' whenever they were together.

Royal Commentator, Richard Fitzwilliams, recently revealed that there was one person who called the Queen by her first name.

Speaking to Express, he said:

"Mandela was."

"He called her Elizabeth and his affection for her was warmly reciprocated."

"Her state visit to South Africa in 1995 when he was President was one of the highlights of her reign."

Nelson Mandela and Elizabeth II had a famously unusual friendship, with the South African leader regularly ignoring royal custom.

In her book, Mandela's former assistant revealed some intimate insight into the famous friendship.

She wrote:

"On a visit to Britain, I was struck by the warm friendship between Madiba and the Queen."

"I think he was one of the very few people who called her by her first name and she seemed to be amused by it."

And WILDLY, Nelson allegedly once said to the Queen: "Oh, Elizabeth, you’ve lost weight."
Re: Mandela:the Only Non-royal Person Allowed To Call The Queen By Her First Name by XhosaNostra(f): 8:02pm On Mar 21, 2020

Re: Mandela:the Only Non-royal Person Allowed To Call The Queen By Her First Name by Oluwasaeon(m): 8:10pm On Mar 21, 2020
He was gargantuan
Re: Mandela:the Only Non-royal Person Allowed To Call The Queen By Her First Name by Rossinnki: 8:14pm On Mar 21, 2020
WHAT RUBBISH IS THIS?

Anybody is ''allowed'' to call anybody anything they want.

Or will they arrest somebody for calling her Elizabeth?

Was it a different God that created her?

Abeg make we hear something o jare
Re: Mandela:the Only Non-royal Person Allowed To Call The Queen By Her First Name by decatalyst(m): 8:20pm On Mar 21, 2020
Rossinnki:
WHAT RUBBISH IS THIS?

Anybody is ''allowed'' to call anybody anything they want.

Or will they arrest somebody for calling her Elizabeth?

Was it a different God that created her?

Abeg make we hear something o jare

Please go and sit somewhere. You do not understand what is being said here.

2 Likes

Re: Mandela:the Only Non-royal Person Allowed To Call The Queen By Her First Name by Aidejay(m): 8:28pm On Mar 21, 2020
Elizabeth Elizabeth Elizabeth Elizabeth Elizabeth...
There I've called her by her name come and carry me...?
Re: Mandela:the Only Non-royal Person Allowed To Call The Queen By Her First Name by XANDERBOY85: 8:38pm On Mar 21, 2020
Awww....so cute! smiley
Re: Mandela:the Only Non-royal Person Allowed To Call The Queen By Her First Name by rowland545(m): 9:05pm On Mar 21, 2020
Wat about me that can call emir Sanusi by his name and nothing will happen.. *�*

(1) (Reply)

I Still Believe In Trump's Presidency - FFK / Every Trump Election Lawsuit / BREAKING ; All UK Troops To Withdraw From Ukraine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.