Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,694 members, 7,879,029 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 11:31 AM

6 Surprising Things That Might Hurt Your Immune System - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 6 Surprising Things That Might Hurt Your Immune System (677 Views)

6 Surprising Health And Beauty Benefits Of Drinking Water / Antibiotics Can Hurt Your Health If Not Properly Used / HIV Vaccine Breakthrough As Experts Generate Immune Cells To Stop Spread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Surprising Things That Might Hurt Your Immune System by Dondrey1523: 11:20pm On Mar 21, 2020
1. Alcohol
Even one bout of excessive drinking can reduce the immune system’s response to invading pathogens, Spangler says. “Alcohol’s major metabolite, acetaldehyde, likely impairs ciliary function in the lungs, making them more prone to bacterial and viral invasion,” he explains. Alcohol also impairs the process of attacking and breaking down bacteria and viruses, he says, and that puts people who abuse alcohol at higher risk for infection.

Continue Reading: https://gistping.com/2019/09/09/6-surprising-things-that-might-hurt-your-immune-system/
Re: 6 Surprising Things That Might Hurt Your Immune System by CanadaOrBust: 2:16am On Mar 22, 2020
Here’s the entire article:

6 surprising things that might hurt your immune system

1. Too much exercise
But isn’t exercise meant to strengthen your immune system? Indeed, yes, but strenuous activity can take its toll on your body and immune system. When you are training for an endurance event such as a marathon, your body takes the strain as it constantly has to recover from long hours on the road and in the gym.

2. Loneliness and isolation
This might be the time of year when work is particularly demanding. You rush between the office and your house, and you barely go out or make time for friends. But, even though you might be avoiding some germs, loneliness and the lack of a social life can wreak havoc on your immune system.

3. A pessimistic outlook on life
Working hard, eating healthy, exercising, and hitting the sack early can unfortunately be of little value when you are taking life too seriously, research suggests. To counteract the many stressors in our daily lives, it’s important to find joy in the simple things, as a healthy outlook will help keep your immune system in shape.

4. Second-hand smoke
If you don’t smoke, or you recently managed to quit, it’s good. But unfortunately, mingling with friends and family members who smoke around you can damage your immune system. Research has shown that exposure to second-hand smoke (SHS) kills an estimated 600 000 people each year and increases one’s risk of acute respiratory infections and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). The immune system is also impacted, but exactly how that works remains a mystery.

5. Regular doses of antibiotics
Running to the doctor and insisting on antibiotics for the slightest infection can compromise even the healthiest immune system. A recent study conducted by researchers at Harvard, MIT, the Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering and the Broad Institute, found that antibiotics can actually work against the body and impair the way the immune system wards of germs.

6.Alcohol
Even one bout of excessive drinking can reduce the immune system’s response to invading pathogens, Spangler says. “Alcohol’s major metabolite, acetaldehyde, likely impairs ciliary function in the lungs, making them more prone to bacterial and viral invasion,” he explains. Alcohol also impairs the process of attacking and breaking down bacteria and viruses, he says, and that puts people who abuse alcohol at higher risk for infection.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Surprising Things That Might Hurt Your Immune System by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 12:54pm On Mar 22, 2020
I disagree with number one.

After strenuous exercises, the next best thing to do is to SLEEP like a baby. Then your body will be very grateful.
Re: 6 Surprising Things That Might Hurt Your Immune System by CanadaOrBust: 4:07pm On Mar 22, 2020
PRISTINEMUSCLES:
I disagree with number one.

After strenuous exercises, the next best thing to do is to SLEEP like a baby. Then your body will be very grateful.

U missed the “too much” part
Re: 6 Surprising Things That Might Hurt Your Immune System by WarmTest3: 4:15pm On Mar 22, 2020
In fact, there are many factors that affect our body and immunity. Recently, I found an interesting article that details about Atlas DNA Test For Christmas . I have never encountered this before, so it became interesting to me and I decided to learn more about my DNA. What can you tell me about this? I think you should also go to the site that I threw off and read this article.

(1) (Reply)

Chinese Government Donate Kits To Nigerian Government As Coronavirus Continues / ‘covid-19 Junction’ Discovered Somewhere In Lagos / Alleged possible Existence Of Covid19 In Nigeria Since September 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.