Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,116 members, 7,880,461 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 06:47 PM

Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? (2257 Views)

Multi-million Projects To Northern States Meant To Promote Unity, NNPC Explains / MC Oluomo: NURTW Is A Profession Like Medicine, Law And Engineering / Senator Danbaba Names 10 Northern States PDP Will Win In 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by helinues: 7:38pm On Mar 26, 2020
I don't know how offensive this may sound to Northerners, not even sure if NL rules allowed this but this is just a sincere question.

So I read today that Elrufai repatriated some beggars from Kaduna.

To my best of understanding, growing up in Southern part of the country, almost half of Northerners around were beggars.

It looks more nowadays like the numbers have sky rocketed..

And that begs the question, is Beggar now a profession? How can people travel all away from Northern Region to Southern part to do begging?

3 Likes

Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by Oluwasaeon(m): 7:40pm On Mar 26, 2020
It's their way of life

4 Likes

Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by bigiyaro(m): 7:42pm On Mar 26, 2020
OP, its like you just traveled for the very first time abi?

1 Like

Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by theenchanter: 7:45pm On Mar 26, 2020
I think their religion permits begging and I guess able bodied persons have bastardized it.

5 Likes

Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Mar 26, 2020
Its their culture.

4 Likes

Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by Sehindemi(f): 7:57pm On Mar 26, 2020
helinues:
I don't know how offensive this may sound to Northerners, not even sure if NL rules allowed this but this is just a sincere question.

To my best of understanding, growing up in Southern part of the country, almost have of Northerners around were beggars.

And that begs the question, is Beggar now a profession? How can people travel all away from Northern Region to Southern part to do begging?

The boldened is very true.
If they weren't beggars then they were the ones to handle all the most ludicrous and unthinkable jobs in town.
No insult intended.

1 Like

Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by helinues: 8:02pm On Mar 26, 2020
Sehindemi:

The boldened is very true.
If they weren't beggars then they are the ones to handle all the most ludicrous and unthinkable jobs in town.
No insult intended.

What I still don't understand about the nature of their begging is , some of those beggars have like 10 cows ( N100k each) in their home town yet they will still prefer to beg ..

Any myth behind that?
Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by Enwhen(m): 8:30pm On Mar 26, 2020
helinues:

To my best of understanding, growing up in Southern part of the country, almost half of Northerners around were beggars.

It's about their culture and MAINLY ISLAM AS A RELIGION as being practice in the north...You will hardly ,very very scarce see a northern Christian begging...In Kano, Kaduna , Kebbi , Plateau, Adamawa, Sokoto , all have indigenous christians but u can never see them beg , but the Muslims , which made it more of religion mostly with the FAILED Almajiri system , it has become a norm and culture mostly practise by northern Muslims.

7 Likes

Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by dangermouse(m): 9:18pm On Mar 26, 2020
Enwhen:

It's about their culture and MAINLY ISLAM AS A RELIGION as being practice in the north...You will hardly ,very very scarce see a northern Christian begging...In Kano, Kaduna , Kebbi , Plateau, Adamawa, Sokoto , all have indigenous christians but u can never see them beg , but the Muslims , which made it more of religion mostly with the FAILED Almajiri system , it has become a norm and culture mostly practise by northern Muslims.
Bro u forgot to add that some of them beg for the rich men who sponsors them. When they are done begging for the day, they would then exchange the money with these rich men. Now what these rich men do with money they exchanged is what baffles me!
Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by Johans1991: 10:18pm On Mar 26, 2020
Pls, is baby factory and drug trafficking now a profession in South East?
Na question I asked ooh.

2 Likes

Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by Fanky8: 10:20pm On Mar 26, 2020
[s]
Johans1991:
Na question I asked ooh.
[/s]

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by helinues: 4:51am On Mar 27, 2020
Johans1991:
Na question I asked ooh.

Is this topic about SE? Why not create a thread for that instead of derailing this..

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by nyabingi(m): 5:01am On Mar 27, 2020
Begging is actually a thing of pride for them according to their religion, those who send their children or aged parents out to beg feels they are doing what their prophet commanded and they consider those who do otherwise as infidels

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by mujahid777(m): 7:22am On Mar 27, 2020
helinues:

Is this topic about SE? Why not create a thread for that instead of derailing this..
Since Southyeasterners are the ones so concerned and commenting,then why notundecided.In addition to his,ain't they doing this according to their religion

1 Like

Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by helinues: 7:23am On Mar 27, 2020
mujahid777:

Since Southyeasterners are the ones so concerned and commenting,then why notundecided.In addition to his,ain't they doing this according to their religion

Sorry the op is not from SE.. How about that?

1 Like

Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by mujahid777(m): 7:39am On Mar 27, 2020
Enwhen:
[s]

It's about their culture and MAINLY ISLAM AS A RELIGION as being practice in the north...You will hardly ,very very scarce see a northern Christian begging...In Kano, Kaduna , Kebbi , Plateau, Adamawa, Sokoto , all have indigenous christians but u can never see them beg , but the Muslims , which made it more of religion mostly with the FAILED Almajiri system , it has become a norm and culture mostly practise by northern Muslims.[/s]
Same way hard drugs trafficking,baby factory and prostitution business is MAINLY DUE TO xtianity AS A RELIGION.flatinó.
The North is a very diverse place,you talk as if they are all one same tribe/culture.That one is known for begging does not mean you should tag it to the whole North,or even more absurdly to religion.

5 Likes

Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by Fanky8: 7:57am On Mar 27, 2020
helinues:

helinues sweetheart. how are you doing
Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by BafanaBafana: 8:16am On Mar 27, 2020
I hate begging. Its the most shameful profession on earth and as such, i don't give beggars money. Begging has really spoilt the north. I guess they move down south where the competion is less to ply their trade.
I was however surprised one day when I saw some Yoruba boys begging in Yola. Well dressed, with shuttle bags speaking Yoruba among themselves and they came to me with the story of how they just came from a journey and don't have food to eat. They couldn't speak Hausa and their English was heavily accented means they came from the south not ago. i gave them something in appreciation for their effort though..
Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by hakeemhakeem(m): 8:22am On Mar 27, 2020
theenchanter:
I think their religion permits begging and I guess able bodied persons have bastardized it.

Stop saying what you don't know Islam forbidden begging as ways of livelihood, exemption for those who are handicap
Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by AgentNairaland(f): 8:25am On Mar 27, 2020
So You Never Know?? Dangote The Richest Slave In Nigeria And Africa Couldn't Help His People ... You Hardly See Christians Beggers In Our Land, Biafra
Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by helinues: 9:20am On Mar 27, 2020
BafanaBafana:
I hate begging. Its the most shameful profession on earth and as such, i don't give beggars money. Begging has really spoilt the north. I guess they move down south where the competion is less to ply their trade.
I was however surprised one day when I saw some Yoruba boys begging in Yola. Well dressed, with shuttle bags speaking Yoruba among themselves and they came to me with the story of how they just came from a journey and don't have food to eat. They couldn't speak Hausa and their English was heavily accented means they came from the south not ago. i gave them something in appreciation for their effort though..

There are beggars in every part of the country irrespective of region..

I have met Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo begging outside Nigeria before..

The Hausa's case is just mind boggling..

2 Likes

Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by ZKOSOSO(m): 10:06am On Mar 27, 2020
Na dia culture
Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by Enwhen(m): 8:28pm On Mar 29, 2020
mujahid777:

Same way hard drugs trafficking,baby factory and prostitution business is MAINLY DUE TO xtianity AS A RELIGION.flatinó.
The North is a very diverse place,you talk as if they are all one same tribe/culture.That one is known for begging does not mean you should tag it to the whole North,or even more absurdly to religion.

You are a Terrorists... A several occasions, even of recent , the northern elites, all Muslims , kicked against the abolishment of the Almajiri , they even call it a culture and u are here behaving childish , oda na, go and Cary bomb , seven virgin await u... Terrorists, why are the southwest and north central Muslims not practising Almajiri ?, Is there Almajiri in jos, plateau, Southern Kaduna , dominated by Christians ??, Even in Niger State ?, What about Kogi State ?...its a religious and cultural practise of core northern state..go Cary bomb if e pain ...Dan iska.
Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by LegendHero(m): 8:37pm On Mar 29, 2020
Enwhen:

You are a Terrorists... A several occasions, even of recent , the northern elites, all Muslims , kicked against the abolishment of the Almajiri , they even call it a culture and u are here behaving childish , oda na, go and Cary bomb , seven virgin await u... Terrorists, why are the southwest and north central Muslims not practising Almajiri ?, Is there Almajiri in jos, plateau, Southern Kaduna , dominated by Christians ??, Even in Niger State ?, What about Kogi State ?...its a religious and cultural practise of core northern state..go Cary bomb if e pain ...Dan iska.

You are so confused and your words are incoherent.

What is the premises of your argument? Do you mean the beggars practice the act due to the teachings of Islamic religion?

Why are there no gross concentration of beggars in Saudi, Kuwait, Dubai, Oman, etc.

Why do we have Yoruba, Igbo, and the minorities beggars (even tho they not as much as those from the North)?

You are a Christian bigot that always look a way to diminish Islamic heritage at every given opportunity. Are the Yahoo boys, ritualists, baby factories, drug pushers, and kidnappers down south following the teachings of Christianity too?

Religious bigot!

1 Like

Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by beejaay: 8:40pm On Mar 29, 2020
Johans1991:
Na question I asked ooh.

Another Fooll always thinking that any criticism is from the southeast... Southeast is really blessed and I wish I am from there...

The OP is a confirmed yoruba
Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by Dedetwo(m): 9:01pm On Mar 29, 2020
helinues:

It has been the norm in northern region of Nigeria even before Lord Lugard amalgamated the protectorates. I guess Almajiri has everything to do with it. Anyway, it is better to beg than to steal.
Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by LegendHero(m): 9:05pm On Mar 29, 2020
To those of you religious bigot that will try to use the avenue to malign the Muslims, this is for you.

Almajiri system itself is not initially a bara system and some Northerners exploited it for their own greed to propagate the culture of begging.

The system started in the 11th century as a system of Quranic literacy by the Borno rulers. Over several hundred years later, the Sokoto caliphate and Borno empire run thesame Quranic learning system.

Pre-colonialism, Dan-fodio brough some modification to the system by establishing inspectorate of Quranic literacy. The inspectors are answerable to the emir. The Quranic schools were maintained by the state, parents. communities, Zakah, and assisted by the teachers through farming. The teachers teach the students with islamic education, Ajami writing, and it helped educate the Northern Nigeria populace in terms of governance, custom, traditional craft, and mode of dressing.

After colonialism, the british deposed most of the emirs and control of the structure was lost. Some people already converted the system to a mode of begging which should not be used synonymously with islam like you people always do. Separate the Northerner culture from Islam.

I am not fronting for the North here, I am just telling you guys to know when to distinguish the religious and cultural tag. Islam religion instruct a man who is hale and hearty to work and it is haram for that kind of person to beg.
Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by ZKOSOSO(m): 11:22pm On Mar 29, 2020
Enwhen:

No mind that Jaki of a terrorist.
Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by Enwhen(m): 12:17am On Mar 30, 2020
LegendHero:

You are so confused and your words are incoherent.

What is the premises of your argument? Do you mean the beggars practice the act due to the teachings of Islamic religion?

Why are there no gross concentration of beggars in Saudi, Kuwait, Dubai, Oman, etc.

Why do we have Yoruba, Igbo, and the minorities beggars (even tho they not as much as those from the North)?

You are a Christian bigot that always look a way to diminish Islamic heritage at every given opportunity. Are the Yahoo boys, ritualists, baby factories, drug pushers, and kidnappers down south following the teachings of Christianity too?

Religious bigot!

I'm incoherent because u didn't read my lines with your brain, pick your brain and go through it own lines again...let me help u...The Islam practise in Southwest, North central, Saudi, Oman, Kuwait, Turkey is not thesame with that practise in core northern state ...sip it... Why are there no Almajiri in Yoruba land ?, Why are there no almajiri in Kogi, Niger states ? , Are there no Muslims there ?....u are a muslim Terrorists...are all Terrorists not Muslims ??...I repeat , Almajiri is a core northern Islamic and cultural practise...there are Muslim children from Chad, Niger rep, Senegal , CAR, Mali all in core northern Nigeria in the name of Almajiri begging and when they grow up , most of them are being recruited into Boko Haram ...have u ask urself , that where are the older almijiri ?, Why is it only the children we see on the street ?....if not for the suadis, Yoruba , Kuwait Muslims , I would have concluded that Islam is a Terrorists religion and Almajiri in the north is north left out...if u are angry , pick bomb and join Boko Haram or ISIS they are all practising Islam.
Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by LegendHero(m): 12:31am On Mar 30, 2020
Enwhen:

I'm incoherent because u didn't read my lines with your brain, pick your brain and go through it own lines again...let me help u...The Islam practise in Southwest, North central, Saudi, Oman, Kuwait, Turkey is not thesame with that practise in core northern state ...sip it... Why are there no Almajiri in Yoruba land ?, Why are there no almajiri in Kogi, Niger states ? , Are there no Muslims there ?....u are a muslim Terrorists...are all Terrorists not Muslims ??...I repeat , Almajiri is a core northern Islamic and cultural practise...there are Muslim children from Chad, Niger rep, Senegal , CAR, Mali all in core northern Nigeria in the name of Almajiri begging and when they grow up , most of them are being recruited into Boko Haram ...have u ask urself , that where are the older almijiri ?, Why is it only the children we see on the street ?....if not for the suadis, Yoruba , Kuwait Muslims , I would have concluded that Islam is a Terrorists religion and Almajiri in the north is north left out...if u are angry , pick bomb and join Boko Haram or ISIS they are all practising Islam.

You have to calm down and stop boiling.

I’m a Yoruba. What you opined is contradictory because you first said the SW Muslims and Arabs don’t practice Almajiri system while the Hausas and Chadians practice Almajiri system.

Then you proceed to link Islam to the same Almajiri. That is the crux of my disagreement with you.

Hausa/Chadian cannot be more Muslims than Saudi Arabia and yet the Saudis don’t practice Almajiri system of begging. That means the Hausas are somehow not following the teachings of the Quran by allowing their children to beg on the street.

The conclusion is that Religion alone is not what contributed to the Almajiri or begging culture in the North. Even the Almajiri system of old is not structured for this kind of gross begging.

Hence, stop attributing begging to Islamic tradition.
Re: Is Beggar Now A Profession In Northern States? by Enwhen(m): 9:18am On Mar 30, 2020
LegendHero:

You have to calm down and stop boiling.

I’m a Yoruba. What you opined is contradictory because you first said the SW Muslims and Arabs don’t practice Almajiri system while the Hausas and Chadians practice Almajiri system.

Then you proceed to link Islam to the same Almajiri. That is the crux of my disagreement with you.

Hausa/Chadian cannot be more Muslims than Saudi Arabia and yet the Saudis don’t practice Almajiri system of begging. That means the Hausas are somehow not following the teachings of the Quran by allowing their children to beg on the street.

The conclusion is that Religion alone is not what contributed to the Almajiri or begging culture in the North. Even the Almajiri system of old is not structured for this kind of gross begging.

Hence, stop attributing begging to Islamic tradition.

I'm not boiling , u seems not to understand the meaning of Almajiri that's why u don't want me to link it to Islam...are they not practising SHARING LAW in core northern states ?, even with the sharia police(hisbal) ,do we have sharia police in Niger State ?, do we have sharia police in Kogi State?, Do we have Sharia police in Yoruba states? , Are there no Muslims in these states ?...is Sharia not Islam as being practise by core northern states ?, Pls u should stop boiling each time u hear about Islam in a way u don't like , but u should look at the fact about it...in all the core northern states including Kano, Sokoto, Kebbi, they are have some amount of indeginous christains but yet Sharia and Almajiri system are being practise their , unfortunately, the christians are not part of it, which makes it more of Islam than culture...In Christianity, many people still observe the old testament practise , where the Bible didn't condemn marrying more than one wives, where people wore garment with no shoe to temple of God( currently practise by the celestial and others)....as such, I can't say they are not christians or I am more of a Christian than them, good enough , they don't also practise those part where the children of God went for war, and sacrifice ram, cattle to God, yes they are christains...but can that be said for Muslims ?, can u say because u are a yoruba Muslim(more like those christians practising mainly from the new testament bible) is more of a Muslims than those Terrorists, those practising Sharia , almajiri( just like those christians practising the old testament part of the bible, but just that christians don't believe in killing for God) ....When u live in the north and worship with your fellow Muslims from the north, u would understand better...I still remember back then in barracks in a northern state, where a mosque were to be buid for worship, and the argument came on where the direction of the mosque should face , while the Yoruba Muslims opined that it should face the north where the sun set, their fellow northern brothers said no, that the direction has change to the east...are they not all Muslims ?...u cant be more Muslims than those Terrorists, those northerners, ask any of your brother that have live there , they even believe that u Muslims in the south are more of a Christian than Muslim...reason they will never allow the abolishment of Sharia and Almajiri system to preserve the old practise of Islam in the core northern state...sorry for the long write up...but the fact is that I still prefer the Yoruba Islamic practise than the north by far far mostly for the fact that they don't kill for Allah but that doesn't stop the north from been muslims, likewise the Terrorists.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Truth About Dangote Refinery Workforce In Lagos - Almost All Are Indians / Ipob:nigeria Army Caution Soldiers To Wear Mufty / Alert! They May Start Attacking Schools In The South Too.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.