Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,902 members, 7,927,664 topics. Date: Wednesday, 21 August 2024 at 06:59 PM

What It Takes To Be Good In Maths. Lets Talk. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What It Takes To Be Good In Maths. Lets Talk. (1282 Views)

What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade / Are You Good In Maths? Lets See What You Have. / Can I Take Jamb With An E8 In Maths To Study Insternational Studies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What It Takes To Be Good In Maths. Lets Talk. by Winnerslfc(m): 10:23pm On Dec 28, 2010
Welcome!
This has being an issue for some time now. Most of us keep wondering why some people are goot at Maths while some are not.
In this thread, i will not limit us to my own conclusions as i expect everyone here to give his/her opinion.
This evening, i sat with a friend while we discuss this topic. I almost concluded that being good at Maths is a gift from above. But my friend thinks differently. But looking at this critically, some students seems not to just understand Mathematics no matter the effort they put into its study. And on the other hand, some see Mathematics as their food even with a mild study of the subject.
Also, most of the students who are good at Maths seem not to be good at English and most students who are good at English seem not to be good at Mathematics. This is another mystry that needs to be unfolded.
We have however concluded that the background of the student helps to determine his/her skills in Maths. But if the background was the the determinant factor, why can't these students have a good background on both Maths and English. We also notice this variation in Physics and Chemistry where some students seem good at the former and not the later and vice versa.

in your own view, what is the reason behind this inverse variation noticed in Maths and English, Physics and Chemistry?
Re: What It Takes To Be Good In Maths. Lets Talk. by NnamdiN: 11:15pm On Dec 28, 2010
For me, it boils down to foundation. I played with my primary and secondary school maths, and it's affecting me real bad in uni.
If I had taken it seriously then, I think maths would have been as easy as other subjects.
Re: What It Takes To Be Good In Maths. Lets Talk. by Wayne4uall(m): 10:52am On Dec 29, 2010
all fingers ar not equal, we dont have the same brain, some ppl ar sharp while some ar dull
Re: What It Takes To Be Good In Maths. Lets Talk. by Winnerslfc(m): 3:10pm On Dec 29, 2010
Wayne4uall:

all fingers ar not equal, we dont have the same brain, some ppl ar sharp while some ar dull
in your own view, are you suggesting that Maths require sharp brains while English don't? If this be the case, how about those who are good at physics but not in chemistry?
Re: What It Takes To Be Good In Maths. Lets Talk. by Winnerslfc(m): 3:11pm On Dec 29, 2010
Wayne4uall:

in your own view, are you suggesting that Maths require sharp brains while English don't? If this be the case, how about those who are good at physics but not in chemistry?
Re: What It Takes To Be Good In Maths. Lets Talk. by Kadata(m): 4:17pm On Dec 29, 2010
First I want to commend the poster for this timely topic despite the flood of admission threads that has wrecked this section.
In my honest opinion, if we are able to know why some students are good at Mathematics we can as well give a guess at why some aren't.
Mathematics does not only involve solving. Solving is in fact the end-product thereof. Being good in Mathematics requires an understanding of the basic principles involved in a sub-field, and being able to apply those principles in problem solving. Many students who do not see Mathematics from this angle tend to allow its seemingly obscure nature to becloud their reasoning.
Aside, the pre-requisite of efficiency is consistent practice. If some students practiced more of Mathematics consistently, it wouldn't be difficult to them afterwards. Before the show room is the work shop.
Maths isn't an abstract subject as most students would think. Maths uses your intellectual reasoning. So a reasonable student should find Mathematics reasonably simple to grasp.
Re: What It Takes To Be Good In Maths. Lets Talk. by bforce(m): 4:50pm On Dec 29, 2010
then wat cn u say bout me, am gud in all (phys, chem, eng, maths). But presently going down on eng cos of my recent interest in phys. I think it boils down to foundation nd interest
Re: What It Takes To Be Good In Maths. Lets Talk. by Wayne4uall(m): 7:30pm On Dec 29, 2010
Winnerslfc:

i can still remember a class mate of mine in secondary sch, he has a dull brain but has intrest in reading, he would spend 3 hrs reading a topic at the end of d day, he will gain nothing 4rm wat he has read
Re: What It Takes To Be Good In Maths. Lets Talk. by dregmaster: 7:16pm On Dec 30, 2010
Interest is the key. Whatever you take interest in and continually practice you'll be good in it sooner or later depending on how smart you are. That's how apprenticeship works.

(1) (Reply)

Unilag student graduates with CPGA of 4.98 / Rivers State Polytec Pre-nd And Hnd Forms For 2012/2013 Academic Session Now Out / Ekiti State University Shutdown Till Further Notice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.