Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,937 members, 7,873,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 06:42 AM

Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 (19901 Views)

Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience / My Experience Trying To Get Tested For Covid-19 In Lagos / An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by skyfather09(m): 9:19am On Mar 31, 2020
if them go pay us, no yawa.
Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by JANK23H(m): 9:21am On Mar 31, 2020
It's too late already.Those 6000 have already infected thousands.What the government should be preparing for is how to handle emergency cases that will be rolling-in in the coming days.

Build more emergency quarantine centers,get more people tested is the way to go now.

God save Nigeria.
Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by Lovelyn451(f): 9:29am On Mar 31, 2020
Fosterica:
They should set up more testing centers..esp in SS and SE
shatap...we don't need it in the SE, everyone has the virus, it only shows when u get tested.lol.. watch walking dead. no be my blood and that of my family they go put for their satanic kits, if we cough we buy #100 septrin

1 Like

Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by senatepresido: 9:34am On Mar 31, 2020
u11ae1013:
From my assessment of this convid - 19

(1) malaria is more deadly

(2) it has been circulating round and we have been treating it as a normal flu or cough

(3) the whites and the blacks who have stayed there for a while doesn't have our kind of immunity towards this convid - 19.

My conclusion :

It can only kill two sets of people
(1) those who will die at the sound of a mere gun shot
(2) those with underline disease

OH

(3) THE WICKED POLITICIANS AND CABALS
Bro u get sense jare
Na person like u I 4 like be ma nigga

1 Like

Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by wunmi590(m): 9:47am On Mar 31, 2020
MISSCONGENIALITY:
Which other virus is worst the our evil government? We were born into a deadly virus and it did t kill us. This won't kill us either. After a few weeks when they tell you Hugh they spent fighting this virus, you will die of shock.

God would help us
Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by Oluwapomile1: 10:10am On Mar 31, 2020
helinues:
That's the best thing to do but where are the equipments?

Oyo state infected cases might increase to thousands

Why please?
Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by helinues: 10:21am On Mar 31, 2020
Oluwapomile1:

Why please?

Cos of rally. Making had direct contact with so many people on that day

1 Like

Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by Lymasaba(m): 10:23am On Mar 31, 2020
u11ae1013:
From my assessment of this convid - 19

(1) malaria is more deadly

(2) it has been circulating round and we have been treating it as a normal flu or cough

(3) the whites and the blacks who have stayed there for a while doesn't have our kind of immunity towards this convid - 19.

My conclusion :

It can only kill two sets of people
(1) those who will die at the sound of a mere gun shot
(2) those with underline disease

OH

(3) THE WICKED POLITICIANS AND CABALS
Your calculations shows that you are art student
Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by Lymasaba(m): 10:25am On Mar 31, 2020
JANK23H:
It's too late already.Those 6000 have already infected thousands.What the government should be preparing for is how to handle emergency cases that will be rolling-in in the coming days.

Build more emergency quarantine centers,get more people tested is the way to go now.

God save Nigeria.
Train many doctors, nurses and other medical experts
Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by Oluwapomile1: 10:32am On Mar 31, 2020
helinues:

Cos of rally. Making had direct contact with so many people on that day

OMG... God help them. Hope they observed strict hygiene practices. Hei!
Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by 9jaRealist: 10:55am On Mar 31, 2020
JANK23H:
It's too late already. Those 6000 have already infected thousands. What the government should be preparing for is how to handle emergency cases that will be rolling-in in the coming days.

God save Nigeria.

The government is NOT looking for those 6000 people...
But sadly so much of the Nigerian press is so poor that they keep repeatedly translating “contact tracing” as searching for.

Contact tracing is NOT searching for these people who are known contacts of confirmed cases...
Rather it is keeping track of them while they’re in 14-day self-isolation, and checking with them to see if they develop symptoms.
>
Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by bptc10: 11:04am On Mar 31, 2020
Please people should watch this video on Facebook and look for shea butter to protect their self

https://www.facebook.com/100005682251892/posts/1307300756135987/?sfnsn=scwspwa&d=w&vh=i&extid=3cc7AkrP4YLifpM0
Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by 9jaRealist: 11:04am On Mar 31, 2020
Fosterica:
They should set up more testing centers..esp in SS and SE
ckmayoca:
They don’t care about that side oh.

Test centers are NOT the problem...
You can be tested almost ANYWHERE (even your home) or any lab.

However, the COVID-19 test is a molecular test, and thus requires molecular labs to process your test sample...
There are already labs in the SS (Edo State) and SE (Ebonyi), and more labs are on the way in the next few weeks.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11289125_6ab3f44da03e435f9b44e3311914a859_jpeg_jpeg6cadb2989f3fa08e8e2c54377cc72185
>
Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by 9jaRealist: 11:10am On Mar 31, 2020
ybalogs:
Believing the figures being peddled around in the media as regards Nigeria's Covid19 patients is like believing FFK. Just stay home guys and be safe.

Given the number of tests thus far, those figures are ACCURATE...
>
Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by Farki: 11:17am On Mar 31, 2020
Roon9:
No o! We no want testing
Let's take our chances abeg
As of now I'm leaning with the conspiracy theorists... Somfn is suppin with those kits

Alright let's do nothing and allow the virus to spread just like Guinea and Liberia did with ebola. Using the flawless logic that healthcare workers were somehow bringing ebola to the country many infected persons stayed at home and cases exploded out of control. Rather than get actual medical care they used magic herbs and thought all was well until they started dropping dead. These same brilliant people were now asking why government didn't do something earlier.

Please will someone let me know when most Africans will start making use of their functioning brains? undecided
Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by 9jaRealist: 11:19am On Mar 31, 2020
backnbeta:
What of the contacts in Oyo? Who will trace them? Abi Makinde that just isolated himself a few days ago had no contacts? undecided

COVID-19 is not an airborne virus, and thus just being in the same arena does not subject everyone to infection...
It is transmitted via droplets, so the person has to be a CLOSE contact (that is, in close proximity of less than 6feet).
>
Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by Roon9(m): 11:35am On Mar 31, 2020
Farki:

Alright let's do nothing and allow the virus to spread just like Guinea and Liberia did with ebola. Using the flawless logic that healthcare workers were somehow bringing ebola to the country many infected persons stayed at home and cases exploded out of control. Rather than get actual medical care they used magic herbs and thought all was well until they started dropping dead. These same brilliant people were now asking why government didn't do something earlier.

Please will someone let me know when most Africans will start making use of their functioning brains? undecided

https://www.nairaland.com/5765897/coronavirus-father-cries-out-over

This thread has your answers
Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by Farki: 11:44am On Mar 31, 2020
Roon9:

https://www.nairaland.com/5765897/coronavirus-father-cries-out-over

This thread has your answers

There is nothing in this thread that contradicts my post or even comes close to being useful information. If the lady in question is being treated badly that is the fault of the staff in the isolation centre. This does not mean that Covid-19 is not real and is being spread by medical professionals.
Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by 9jaRealist: 11:44am On Mar 31, 2020
jericco1:
Federal Government are testing mainly the elites while leaving the masses to the mercy's of tracing. Now they're saying that testing is expensive, seems the billions been donated will end up in someone's pockets! angry angry
ybalogs:
Where do we get tested?
PlayerMeji:
I thought as much, the reason why the numbers is meagre is because it's been rich men they have been testing all these while...
marztar:
This one that they are already complaining that the test cost 10k.

Test more not just the rich.

The only nexus between wealth or social status and testing is that COVID-19 is an imported disease and thus far has come primarily from those “wealthy” enough to have traveled abroad and brought it back with them, and their contacts. Of course, we are now entering the community-transmission phase of infections as some of those contacts may begin to infect others within their various communities and/or families.

The principal constrain on widespread testing thus far, apart from suitable testing apparatus and labs (COVID-19 testing is a molecular test, and thus requires molecular labs), which are reportedly being set up or scaled up, has been the relative scarcity of the proper reagents. You can have thousands of test kits but without reagents, you cannot conduct a single accurate test - and of course EVERY country is in the market for same.

Thus far, NO country (not even China or South Korea) has the capacity to test everyone or everyone who simply wants a test. In Nigeria’s case, given its relatively scarce testing resources at present (particularly the reagents), it’s made the decision to only test those with the HIGHEST risk of infection - that is, those persons (1) returning from abroad and their close contacts, (2) who develop SYMPTOMS of the disease.
>
Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by PlayerMeji: 12:15pm On Mar 31, 2020
Bro, my head is having headache with these big big English..

9jaRealist:

The only nexus between wealth or social status and testing is that COVID-19 is an imported disease and thus far has come primarily from those “wealthy” enough to have traveled abroad and brought it back with them, and their contacts. Of course, we are now entering the community-transmission phase of infections as some of those contacts may begin to infect others within their various communities and/or families.

The principal constrain on widespread testing thus far, apart from suitable testing apparatus and labs (COVID-19 testing is a molecular test, and thus requires molecular labs), which are reportedly being set up or scaled up, has been the relative scarcity of the proper reagents. You can have thousands of test kits but without reagents, you cannot conduct a single accurate test - and of course EVERY country is in the market for same.

Thus far, NO country (not even China or South Korea) has the capacity to test everyone or everyone who simply wants a test. In Nigeria’s case, given its relatively scarce testing resources at present (particularly the reagents), it’s made the decision to only test those with the HIGHEST risk of infection - that is, those persons (1) returning from abroad and their close contacts, (2) who develop SYMPTOMS of the disease.
>
Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by 9jaRealist: 12:31pm On Mar 31, 2020
PlayerMeji:
Bro, my head is having headache with these big big English..

grin grin grin
>
Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by Correcto: 12:32pm On Mar 31, 2020
Great content
ybalogs:
*I love this write-up*

Every king was once a crying baby and every building was once a picture. The person you admire so much was once a nobody. The most anointed man you see was once a church member. The person you attended his or her wedding was once a chief bachelor or spinster. So why worry in life?

It's not about where you are today but where you will reach tomorrow. Alphabet "O'' which stands for Opportunity, is absent in ''yesterday'' but once in ''tOday'' And thrice in ''tOmOrrOw'' So Stay Positive Always and have hope. Your tomorrow will surely be better than today. Believe in yourself and never give up. ......The future is bright!
Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by emperor863(m): 1:23pm On Mar 31, 2020
Oluwapomile1:

Why please?

Because some i di ots organised a rally during a pandemic caused by a virus.
Sir, do you know the meaning of a pandemic?
Do you know what a virus is?
I pity by beloved country because this nonsense is only possible here.
Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by 9jaRealist: 1:23pm On Mar 31, 2020
ybalogs:
Believing the figures being peddled around in the media as regards Nigeria's Covid19 patients is like believing FFK. Just stay home guys and be safe.
cruxgemmata:
Test people at random. U go shock
wunmi590:
I'm in total support of this idea,

Yes there are lots of Nigerians roaming the street with this deadly disease, but they don't know, and the government are not helping matter to provide the necessary testing kit for NCDC to make testing the citizens easier for them, despite the fact that alot of people have donated alot of money to fight this COVID-19.

It is high time we raise that we have a lot of people with the disease, than what the media is portraying it to be.

#StaySafe
Tpave:
Many people are roaming different states with the virus. This week and next week will prove this because hundreds of people will test positive. At least the government is making a lot of effort to curtail and cushion the effect. I just hope the citizens will hear word and abide by the rules
Angelfrost:
Might??! You people are still living in denial... Lol.

Lagos can't be less than 5000 cases now. Her close neighbors should not be that far back.

As I wrote on this forum recently, while COVID-19 is a novel (new) coronavirus...
Thus far it shows the same lifespan as other coronaviruses (such as the flu, etc.).

The medical evidence so far is that, unless a person has underlying health issues, the COVID-19 generally has a less than 14-day lifespan. Accordingly, 2 or 3 WEEKS OF COMMUNITY-BASED ISOLATION AND SOCIAL-DISTANCING SHOULD BREAK THE CHAIN OF INFECTION! Even in those who have the virus but are asymptomatic (that is, not showing any symptoms), the virus will work its way out of the system in about 14 days or less (again, unless there are other underlying health issues). Furthermore, the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of confirmed cases (about 80%) will recover and many confirmed cases will only have mild symptoms. It's a virus, but the greatest danger with COVID-19 has been the high and fast rate of infection, which raises the danger that many cases at the same time will overwhelm the healthcare system with sheer numbers.

In effect, given Nigeria’s relatively scarce testing resources (not just the proper equipment, kits and molecular labs, but most importantly the reagents that are currently in relatively short supply because about EVERY country on the face of the earth is sourcing for the same reagents), it matters less that everyone is not being tested or cannot be tested (NO nation on earth has thus far shown to possess the capacity to do so), or that people are not being “randomly” tested and that there might be myriad asymptomatic folks out there, but rather matters more that (in addition to targeting and utilizing the relatively few resources that we have wisely) we use SELF-ISOLATION and SOCIAL DISTANCING to slow the rate of cross-infection (most asymptomatic carriers will never know that had it before it leaves their system), flatten the curve of the infection rate (so that it does not overwhelm our rickety healthcare system) and ultimately break the chain of infection.

This NOT going to be one of those cases of "government this, NCDC that"...
This time EVERYONE has a role to play, and our COLLECTIVE conduct will determine COVID-19's impact on Nigeria! Good luck to us all!
>

2 Likes

Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by 9jaRealist: 1:26pm On Mar 31, 2020
emperor863:
As expected, the nation is approaching a period of emergency. What this means is that we possibly have tens of thousand infected people within the country.

This, to me is a clear case of government failure because the country had two clear months to put all these structures on ground even before the first case was detected over a month ago.

I hereby suggest that all those suspected to have made contact with infected persons should named (instead of them being numbers) and such named should be made public.

This will serve two purposes;

In the case of some of them who are unaware of their covid - 19 status, they will be aware.

In the case of those that are aware of their covid 19 status but are deliberately declining to come forward for testing, the community will isolate them and the country will be spared the possibility of recording infections of hundreds of thousands, just like in Italy and Spain.

These are indeed though times but majority is us are not yet in tune with the reality.
EMMAUGOH:
lol u still counting in thousands.. Talk of millions. But am still trying to understand why we have not start recording major breakdown with the carriers.

U know we expect the west to tell us everything. Even South Korea have fewer death because of let's say they have been battling different virus for years.

But here in Africa we have been malaria which syntoms are not far off from Covid 19 but then we have been getting treated for malaria almost every year.

Is there a line where we can say Africa have been treating malaria for years and might not experience Covid 19 like countries which might have never treated malaria for years.

I just want this to be true. Many expert belive Africa will receive the highest hit but we will know soon..

Refer to my more detailed post immediately above...
Though highly-infectious, COVID-19 is not airborne and thus requires CLOSE personal contact for infection.

The medical evidence so far is that, unless a person has underlying health issues, the COVID-19 virus has a less than 14-day lifespan. Accordingly, 2 or 3 WEEKS OF COMMUNITY-BASED ISOLATION AND SOCIAL-DISTANCING SHOULD BREAK THE CHAIN OF INFECTION! Among those persons infected, the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY (about 80% or more) will be asymptomatic (that is, not show any symptoms) or have only mild to moderate symptoms (of course they still need to be isolated so they do not infect their families and others). Nonetheless, the greatest danger of COVID-19 has been the rapid rate of infection, which raises the danger that many cases at the same time will overwhelm the healthcare system with sheer numbers. Lacking a vaccine, isolation and social distancing is the best practical tool to flatten the infection curve.
>

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by Nobody: 1:29pm On Mar 31, 2020
treat the seek ones first, useless experts.
Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by namdo(m): 1:34pm On Mar 31, 2020
Everyone chill. No panic. My concern is many people not having food to eat under self quarantine or isolation.

Do these ( we are Nigerians ):
- Take/drink hot water every now and then, also gaggle it in your mouth (shee the virus go die at 30-40deg C)
-Eat Ginger and garlic well well this period
- Rub Ori on your hands if you are going out and rub some in your nostril, you go dey alright
- Do regular sun bath (Vitamin D)
- Any step that improves our immunity will help

Let those already infected receive speedy recovery IJN. May God continue to lead Our governments and health workers aright for our recovery IJN Amen.
We do win. I believe It will not eventually kill many of us. Our prayers will not be in vain for the Lord shows mercy when we repent and go to Him. So repent now and forsake your sins if you have not yet.
Re: Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 by Dollabiz: 2:54pm On Mar 31, 2020
true

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Not All Virgins Must Bleed On The First Night! / Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction / What Are Your Allergies?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.