Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,298 members, 7,881,097 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 12:22 PM

Africa's Bright Facebook Spots - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Africa's Bright Facebook Spots (681 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen: Troubled Spots Awaiting Govt’s Action - VANGUARD / Okorocha With Morocco Maduka , Bright Chimezie And Others - Photos / PHOTOS- Gov. Akinwunmi Ambode Visits Traffic Spots In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africa's Bright Facebook Spots by AjanleKoko: 8:23am On Dec 30, 2010
Interesting stuff - Culled from http://blogs.reuters.com/africanews/2010/12/15/africas-facebook-bright-spots/

There’s a fascinating (and rather beautiful) map of facebook connections around the world, which you can find here.

No surprise that looking at Africa, large areas are blank – there aren’t many facebook users in the Sahara Desert or Congo rainforests.

But the map also appears to show the emergence of dynamic regional centres – not only of population in terms of numbers, but of a technologically active and connected population.

It is interesting to note the connections between centres in different countries as well as within them.

In East Africa, there is plenty of activity around Nairobi and indeed within Kenya, but it is also linked in an apparent arc stretching from Kigali, through Kampala and on to Dar es Salaam – perhaps boding well for the development of the East African Community, already further ahead with regional integration than most of the continent.

In the West, the concentration of activity is around the cities of southern Nigeria and Ghana and they appear to be linked between each other as well.

While there are clearly connections from southern to northern Nigeria – centered on the capital Abuja – the map also shows just how much greater is the connectivity in the southern half of the country. No doubt population distribution is an important factor, but it may also be an indicator of relative prosperity and access to technology. President Goodluck Jonathan’s decision to announce his plan to stand for election on facebook could certainly have had a greater impact in parts of the country than others.

Unsurprisingly, there is a mass of links on the map around Johannesburg and between the main cities in Africa’s biggest economy. North African countries – with the exception of Libya – appear to have plenty of internal connectivity, if not so much between them.

Elsewhere in Africa, there are starbursts around some of the bigger capitals. That suggests there are at least a few facebook users in those countries – but perhaps not as interconnected as in other parts of the continent.

As well as highlighting the prospects for – and gaps in – regional integration, I wonder whether the map might also be a handy guide for business and investors in reaffirming where some of the most vibrant hubs of African growth are to be found as the continent pulls in ever more investment.

Re: Africa's Bright Facebook Spots by edoyad(m): 9:04am On Dec 30, 2010
My o my, is that black in the center Africa ? grin . To be honest i don't like facebook myself, there're some people i don't ever want to reconnect with grin
Re: Africa's Bright Facebook Spots by lagbaja20: 10:48am On Dec 30, 2010
Lesson of the day: Mallams would rather rear cattle than spend time on Facebook
Re: Africa's Bright Facebook Spots by blacksta(m): 10:58am On Dec 30, 2010
It is shame - Africa still remains the dark Continent. sad
Re: Africa's Bright Facebook Spots by lagbaja20: 10:59am On Dec 30, 2010
ode

What is shameful about it!

Oloshi

You are so daft for making such remark
Re: Africa's Bright Facebook Spots by blacksta(m): 11:02am On Dec 30, 2010
Awon egbon ati abu ro ri lo ode

Dark Continent in terms of technology
Re: Africa's Bright Facebook Spots by lagbaja20: 11:07am On Dec 30, 2010
blacksta:

Awon egbon ati abu ro ri lo ode

Dark Continent in terms of technology

And you measure a continent's technological advancement by how many Facebook accounts/users there is on that continent?

You are such a stupyd  mofo.
Oloriburuku oloshi Afofun gbekomu. Koni bensho fun. Ola lo maku lagbara olorun
Re: Africa's Bright Facebook Spots by blacksta(m): 11:15am On Dec 30, 2010
lagbaja20:

And you measure a continent's technological advancement by how many Facebook accounts/users there is on that continent?

You are such a stupyd mofo.

lol

Death cant take me - cause i hold the key and i will go when i like.

Anyway your reasoning is still flawed - Look at it from this angle. You are more likely to have active social network participation where technology exist or where the masses are technological literate.
Re: Africa's Bright Facebook Spots by jaybee3(m): 11:19am On Dec 30, 2010
lagbaja20:

You are such a stupyd mofo.

Funny how people curse others with God's name.
Na wa angry angry angry
Re: Africa's Bright Facebook Spots by lagbaja20: 11:24am On Dec 30, 2010
blacksta:

lol
Death cant take me - cause i hold the key  and i will go when i like.  
Anyway your reasoning is still flawed  - Look at it from this angle.  You are more likely to have active social network participation where technology exist or where the masses are technological literate.

And as Africans you think we need Facebook to interact socially?

Do you even know why Zuckerberg created Facebook?  Social interaction was not on his mind when he wanted to create Facebook? And the guy himself is not sociable.

Look Bimbo, Facebook usage says nothing about Africa's technological inclination. For starters, we do not need social media to interact effectively. Furthermore, there are other media serving the same purpose, e.g Mysapce and Hi5, so Facebook usage should be put into context. I dont have an account, not because I am not technologically inclined, I am not just interested in Facebook. And, a lot of my friends feel the same way.  It is nonentity like you who have no life that think highly of Facebook.

Oloshi oniranu ara galatia
Re: Africa's Bright Facebook Spots by sochan: 11:38am On Dec 30, 2010
For once, I agree with lagbaja20.

Not quite sure what the significance of the above is, we must be careful not to read too much into these things.

I recently signed off my facebook account, becuase in my opinion, the thrill had come to and end. Dont get me wrong facebook can be a useful tool, but should be considered as one of the tools in the box, not the tool. Beisdes a lot of people seem to be spending a lot of unproductive man hours on it. People are fast recognising the limits.

I heard a film star comment on the same thing yesterday, he found himself spending unecessary time on facebook and just like me decided to turn the damn thing off
Re: Africa's Bright Facebook Spots by olaolabiy: 11:52am On Dec 30, 2010
Lagbaja, ewo ni t'epe o. Haba!

The guy tried to discuss issues you digressed to personalities again. smiley
Re: Africa's Bright Facebook Spots by lagbaja20: 11:56am On Dec 30, 2010
ola olabiy:

Lagbaja, ewo ni t'epe o. Haba!

The guy tried to discuss issues you digressed to personalities again. smiley

The guy deserves all the epe he got

I felt insulted by his comment

What is shameful about not wanting to use Facebook.

Anyway, i have to go meet my babalawo for more epe on that guy
Re: Africa's Bright Facebook Spots by blacksta(m): 11:58am On Dec 30, 2010
Omo ode

It wont work - i hear your babalawo is also your gay partner grin shocked
Re: Africa's Bright Facebook Spots by olaolabiy: 12:07pm On Dec 30, 2010
Abeg o, Lagbaja, forgive and erm . . . .erm. . forget.

haba. Please. smiley

Os'aaro o
Re: Africa's Bright Facebook Spots by edoyad(m): 12:10pm On Dec 30, 2010
Both lagbaja and blacksta are partially correct. Africa does have one of the lowest rates of IT usage but then again using Facebook is not a measure of how advanced you are. Personally i don't like it, after a few friends became unbearable with their requests for me to join, i finally registered with a pseudonym. I think culture and way of life plays a role too.

(1) (Reply)

Warning Concerning Arik Airlines: / Kabba Riot: 7 Now Dead / So This Is How Nigerian Press See This Man (picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.