Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,607 members, 7,944,801 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 04:23 AM

COVID-19: Wimbledon Is Cancelled For The First Time Since World War II - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / COVID-19: Wimbledon Is Cancelled For The First Time Since World War II (967 Views)

Messi And Ronaldo Won't Be In UCL Semi-Finals For The First Time Since 2005 / Lionel Messi Returns To Argentina Squad For First Time Since World Cup / Serena Williams Cries After Losing Wimbledon Final To Angelique Kerber (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

COVID-19: Wimbledon Is Cancelled For The First Time Since World War II by Explorers(m): 8:58pm On Apr 01, 2020
Wimbledon has been cancelled for the first time since the Second World War, 1945, with All England Club chiefs making the tough decision at an emergency board meeting on Wednesday.

The coronavirus pandemic has put paid to many sporting events, and The Championships are the next to fall, with the UK death toll currently standing at 2,352.

It was considered impossible for the tournament to be moved back to later in the year, or to be played without fans, and so chiefs have pulled the plug entirely.

Serena Williams tweeted she was 'shooked' after hearing the news on Wednesday afternoon.

Roger Federer also tweeted his disappointment at Wimbledon being cancelled this summer.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8175005/Coronavirus-UK-Wimbledon-tennis-CANCELLED-time-World-War-II.html

Re: COVID-19: Wimbledon Is Cancelled For The First Time Since World War II by Explorers(m): 8:58pm On Apr 01, 2020
Re: COVID-19: Wimbledon Is Cancelled For The First Time Since World War II by madridguy(m): 9:01pm On Apr 01, 2020
tongue
Re: COVID-19: Wimbledon Is Cancelled For The First Time Since World War II by CAPSLOCKED: 9:02pm On Apr 01, 2020
STORY OF OUR LIVES.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Wimbledon Is Cancelled For The First Time Since World War II by Mikkyjay17(m): 9:03pm On Apr 01, 2020
Remind me when you hit the promise land.
Re: COVID-19: Wimbledon Is Cancelled For The First Time Since World War II by Illusioneffect(m): 9:05pm On Apr 01, 2020
Wtf. This world is getting more interesting by the day, if this persists, even Netflix will have to shut down
Re: COVID-19: Wimbledon Is Cancelled For The First Time Since World War II by benuejosh: 9:07pm On Apr 01, 2020
Wawuu!

I the mean time, my African people have activated the solid immune booster against Covid-19. Ginger, garlic, lemon and dogonyaro leaves.

Covid-19 you actually stepped Into a wrong Continent. By the time we're done with you, you'll regret ever coming to Africa.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Wimbledon Is Cancelled For The First Time Since World War II by WalkerMichael(m): 9:19pm On Apr 01, 2020
FP material

Corona keeps creating fresh history.

benuejosh:
Wawuu!

I the mean time, my African people have activated the solid immune booster against Covid-19. Ginger, garlic, lemon and dogonyaro leaves.

Covid-19 you actually stepped Into a wrong Continent. By the time we're done with you, you'll regret ever coming to Africa.

This is going to be a badass combo with the combination of lime and garlic I'm seeing alone. What this bro?
Re: COVID-19: Wimbledon Is Cancelled For The First Time Since World War II by benuejosh: 9:32pm On Apr 01, 2020
WalkerMichael:

What this bro?
I didn't do that. But I saw the combo of garlic, ginger and lemon and the person made mention of Coronavirus. This are immune boosters ordinarily. Medicals in the house can explain better.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Wimbledon Is Cancelled For The First Time Since World War II by hahn(m): 10:00pm On Apr 01, 2020
benuejosh:
Wawuu!

Na him una never find cure for HIV?

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Wimbledon Is Cancelled For The First Time Since World War II by Omoluabi16(m): 10:50pm On Apr 01, 2020
Painful, but the right decision. There is no point playing these games without spectators. The oooohs, ahhhhs and crowd reactions make the game worth it. I hope the US OPEN still hold though
Re: COVID-19: Wimbledon Is Cancelled For The First Time Since World War II by Earlystar698(m): 11:36pm On Apr 01, 2020
WHO caused the whole thing.

Like if you agree we will defeat this Virus.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Wimbledon Is Cancelled For The First Time Since World War II by emmyskies(m): 11:46pm On Apr 01, 2020
Wooow,,,last time world event was disrupted was WWII; the most devastating war ever in the history of mankind. The last pandemic the world experienced (HIV/AIDS) couldn't disrupt world events due to its mode of transmission.
Why would Serena and Federer be shocked? I don't get it undecided I know it's quite sad but it is for the best for crying out loud. Who would risk life getting infected for a trophy and money prize they won't live to enjoy?
Where's the fun? undecided undecided
Re: COVID-19: Wimbledon Is Cancelled For The First Time Since World War II by Ishilove: 1:03am On Apr 02, 2020
What's up with African-Americans and their ratchet English? Even a whole Serena Williams.

Anyway, the 'shook shooked' her into abandoning every pretensions of class and writing ghetto English.
Re: COVID-19: Wimbledon Is Cancelled For The First Time Since World War II by Nobody: 3:48am On Apr 02, 2020
Very commendable; although I was already pumped about it. Till next year then.

*sigh
Re: COVID-19: Wimbledon Is Cancelled For The First Time Since World War II by Nobody: 1:03pm On Apr 02, 2020
Corona virus, this is no longer a heist, this is war.
Re: COVID-19: Wimbledon Is Cancelled For The First Time Since World War II by hidhrhis(m): 4:15pm On Apr 02, 2020
May God kuku help us
Wetin dey pain me b say this isnt our fault oo
Re: COVID-19: Wimbledon Is Cancelled For The First Time Since World War II by Carbon2Oxide: 4:39pm On Apr 02, 2020
Damn
Re: COVID-19: Wimbledon Is Cancelled For The First Time Since World War II by TheSourcerer: 6:29pm On Apr 02, 2020
Explorers:
Wimbledon has been cancelled for the first time since the Second World War, 1945, with All England Club chiefs making the tough decision at an emergency board meeting on Wednesday.

The coronavirus pandemic has put paid to many sporting events, and The Championships are the next to fall, with the UK death toll currently standing at 2,352.

It was considered impossible for the tournament to be moved back to later in the year, or to be played without fans, and so chiefs have pulled the plug entirely.

Serena Williams tweeted she was 'shooked' after hearing the news on Wednesday afternoon.

Roger Federer also tweeted his disappointment at Wimbledon being cancelled this summer.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8175005/Coronavirus-UK-Wimbledon-tennis-CANCELLED-time-World-War-II.html
WW1
WWII
COVID 19
Re: COVID-19: Wimbledon Is Cancelled For The First Time Since World War II by toffyz(m): 11:57am On Apr 03, 2020
k

(1) (Reply)

Done Deal: Transfers For The 2021-22 Season / Seriea Performance Of Tammy Abraham With Roma This Season. / Robert Lewandowski Clarifies Comments On Lionel Messi After Losing Ballon D’or

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.